GPS suddenly bad

Search This thread

xdaegholm

Mar 17, 2013
Hi there,

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the GPS on my Desire X is experiencing poor signal. Even if outside I can barely see any satelites (according to "GPS Status"). Previously, I could lock on satelites even from within my house.
I've tried rebooting, but no luck.

Does any of you know if the GPS antenna can disconnect inside the device? I have indeed dropped the device (but that's more a rule than an exception)

BR,
Egholm

dansou901

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus 5
OnePlus Nord
Hi there,

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the GPS on my Desire X is experiencing poor signal. Even if outside I can barely see any satelites (according to "GPS Status"). Previously, I could lock on satelites even from within my house.

Does any of you know if the GPS antenna can disconnect inside the device? I have indeed dropped the device (but that's more a rule than an exception)

BR,
Egholm

Maybe possible. You can check by opening your device according to this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRsLDahWVg
But, do you are still on stock ROM or did you install a custom ROM / kernel recently?

Reactions: xdaegholm

xdaegholm

Mar 17, 2013

xdaegholm

Mar 17, 2013
Then maybe try to update to recent version (RC 4.0) and do a factory reset before that, may help.

Maybe - that will be my "last" attempt. I'll rather take it apart - I think that is time better invested based on the theory that an antenna may have disconnected... I may end up doing both :p

xdaegholm

Mar 17, 2013
Maybe - that will be my "last" attempt. I'll rather take it apart - I think that is time better invested based on the theory that an antenna may have disconnected... I may end up doing both :p

And so I did. And I believe that I found and solved the problem... Under the plate surrounding the camera are connectors that connect to what I believe are antennas in that very same plate (did that make sense?). One of them fell out when disassembling, so I soldered it on, assembled again, and at least gps is working again.
(I reckon a hard concentrated punch in the vicinity of the camera can break these connectors, either breaking wifi or gps, so be careful)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

BR,
    Egholm

Maybe possible. You can check by opening your device according to this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRsLDahWVg
    But, do you are still on stock ROM or did you install a custom ROM / kernel recently?