Digital Car - Front end for Android tablet

Search This thread

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
@CdRsKuLL

Thank you for your latest update on the settings menu, working with the colors is fun!

What I would like very much, is an extra setting:
- Start Digital Car, when connected to a specific BT Device ( in my case, my AppRadio 3);
- Stop Digital Car, when that Device is disconnected

Maybe you can put this in the existing or a second settings screen.

Tasker could easily handle that. I think ARlibertor and ARUnchained can also do that as well, if you're running either of them.

klaariskees

May 25, 2014
Arnhem
Tasker could easily handle that. I think ARlibertor and ARUnchained can also do that as well, if you're running either of them.

You are right, Tasker can easily handle that. ARliberator is no friend of mine, so I cannot tell you if it could launch another App.
I am happy to use ARUR, combined with Digital Car. Yes, I use Tasker to launch Digital Car and that works OK.
To me, AppRadio3, ARUR and Digital Car are an unbeatable combination together.

Still, that is not a reason for me, not to want Digital Car to be able to indipendebly start on boot, or on a certain BT connection. I think it will be an asset to Digital Car, to be able to do so.
Not everyone is charmed by using Tasker.

Thank you anyway, for your data on the subject!

klaariskees

May 25, 2014
Arnhem
Digital Car settings disappeared

DC can be setup to your needs. I tested the app on my SGN3, on my 10.1 Android tablet and on my HDMI stick MK802IV.
The settings are -of course- saved by the app, for the next use of DC.

Up till now, I faced an unexpected loss of all the settings in all the installations of DC.
I can start DC a number of times without any trouble, but the next time, DC starts up without any of the saved settings.
This will happen on my phone, tablet and HDMI stick.

Is there any possibility to keep the settings at any time, without losing them?

racenrich

Feb 15, 2012
OnePlus 8T
GREAT, absolutely great!
Installed on my Nexus 7 and hooked up via the aux cable, no BT in car, and WOW. Played around with for about an hour, flawless so far, love the interface and overall performance. I can even use the controls on the radio for vol, mute, etc.
If there was one thing that would interest me the most is...when a song is playing, and your are in folder view listing songs...some kind of indication of the song in playing?

I agree with others, this should be some kind of pay app...a one price app, not something i have to keep paying for options and all.
Great job, kudos to you, the DEV.
I'm keeping an eye on the thread daily! :)

rich k.

Reactions: Mooncalled

movy

Oct 5, 2008
Great job. Do you know how can I disable the bottom bar to appear?

Attachments

• rsz_1screenshot_2014-10-23-00-08-57.png
    rsz_1screenshot_2014-10-23-00-08-57.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 580

uberNoobZA

Oct 10, 2008
Oxford
Very nice looking app. Exactly what I am looking for to use with my Pioneer AppRadio

However, I was unable to get the app to launch on my Justop K10A Android Stick. From what I have read in this thread, this seems to be linked to the need of the software being able to get location details from GPS, and as the Android Stick does not have GPS, and location settings have been removed from the ROM, it silently crashes as soon as I launch Digital Car app. I thought that I would have more success if I connected the Android Stick to my Pioneer AppRadio head unit (as the head unit would provide GPS information) and then launched the app, but it still crashes (however, now it displays the DC logo and then crashes, with the standard Android crash message).

Using it on my stock, rooted Nexus 5 works like a dream and gives me no issues (as long as I am in landscape mode when launching it, as it sometimes crashes if launched in portrait mode). Though I have used other car launcher type apps (such as Car Home Ultra), this app looks better.

Things I like -
  1. You can change the wallpaper easily
  2. You can display your car logo in the center of the screen (tapping the compass allows you to display a logo instead)
  3. Looks good on my 7 inch head unit, when running on my Nexus 5.
  4. Allows you to hide the navigation keys on KitKat and later, making the whole screen available
  5. Easy to change shortcuts
  6. It's easy to get up and running, and looks good in it's default settings
  7. Scroll left and right with finger on homepage of app will goto previous / next media file in the folder
  8. If you goto another app, or the Android desktop, the app shows an overlay button you can tap to go back to Digital Car app

What I think could be improved on
  1. Built in media player is very basic
    You need to point it at a list of media files for it to play those files.
    You can't make a playlist using media files from different folders
    You can't set it to shuffle media files​
  2. When you launch the app, it automatically starts playing the last song you were listening to, even if you stopped playing it before you shut down the app
  3. Once you set a shortcut on the homepage, you can't remove it
  4. Media buttons don't (at least not when I tried) control playback of third party media players. I understand this is experimental
  5. You are limited to one page of shortcuts

d00m1n0

May 22, 2007
Hello,

first off, thanks for that verry nice piece of software!
I was searching something like this for a few weeks.
I think your app fits into my needs quite perfectly.

But i am still missing some features:

- I would be very happy to have only one shortcut on each shortcut field (in full size of the field), without the normal Icons, maybe just the Name of the app.. -> this is because i'm using this on the 5.5" Screen of my OPO where the single buttons are too small.
- The player buttons and volume buttons don't work for spotify, which is the only player app i am using.
- maybe a setting to increase / decrease the size of the GUI ( without nav. Bar and Status Bar) would be nice, because i could have it a bit bigger on my sceen :)
- Also i am missing to see if i get a whatsapp message ( or some other app ) in the status bar.
- For full perfectness it would be so damn great if i could connect the speed info in the center with torque or directly ODB2 to see speed and maybe RPM from my car's ECU ( maybe with some flashing animation when defined RPM is reached similar to the racing meter plugin for torque)

These would be some features i would love to see.
Bit if there's just working player buttons for spotify i would be verry happy :)

Again, great job and keep up the good work!

Thanks!

racenrich

Feb 15, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Very nice looking app. Exactly what I am looking for to use with my Pioneer AppRadio

However, I was unable to get the app to launch on my Justop K10A Android Stick. From what I have read in this thread, this seems to be linked to the need of the software being able to get location details from GPS, and as the Android Stick does not have GPS, and location settings have been removed from the ROM, it silently crashes as soon as I launch Digital Car app. I thought that I would have more success if I connected the Android Stick to my Pioneer AppRadio head unit (as the head unit would provide GPS information) and then launched the app, but it still crashes (however, now it displays the DC logo and then crashes, with the standard Android crash message).

Using it on my stock, rooted Nexus 5 works like a dream and gives me no issues (as long as I am in landscape mode when launching it, as it sometimes crashes if launched in portrait mode). Though I have used other car launcher type apps (such as Car Home Ultra), this app looks better.

Things I like -
  1. You can change the wallpaper easily
  2. You can display your car logo in the center of the screen (tapping the compass allows you to display a logo instead)
  3. Looks good on my 7 inch head unit, when running on my Nexus 5.
  4. Allows you to hide the navigation keys on KitKat and later, making the whole screen available
  5. Easy to change shortcuts
  6. It's easy to get up and running, and looks good in it's default settings
  7. Scroll left and right with finger on homepage of app will goto previous / next media file in the folder
  8. If you goto another app, or the Android desktop, the app shows an overlay button you can tap to go back to Digital Car app

What I think could be improved on
  1. Built in media player is very basic
    You need to point it at a list of media files for it to play those files.
    You can't make a playlist using media files from different folders
    You can't set it to shuffle media files​
  2. When you launch the app, it automatically starts playing the last song you were listening to, even if you stopped playing it before you shut down the app
  3. Once you set a shortcut on the homepage, you can't remove it
  4. Media buttons don't (at least not when I tried) control playback of third party media players. I understand this is experimental
  5. You are limited to one page of shortcuts

Not too quote a whole bunch, but i will agree with everything stated and requested here, very well said.

If i can add the following to the requests :)
Display showing the time duration of song playing; touching that area would switch between duration time and remaining time.
in folder display having the song playing highlighted...however, I do like the top indication

All and all this is my daily use for my Nexus 7 now in the car, GREAT work, keep it up!
Thanks much,
Rich K.

westvandude

Nov 2, 2014
can I get this without google+ ?

Is there any way to get this cool app without joining a google+ group?

Google+ = FAIL , the only thing i have is gmail, even moved my youtube channel to dailymotion. Google is evil. Pissed me off to no end changing youtube and jamming google+ down our throats. F google. Sorry for rant.

ironic my new tablet is android. LOL :eek:

Anyway to get app by email link or?

resiii

Jul 10, 2010
Any chance of making this open source? I'm a java dev and would help to improve this app.

If you are not into that, it's okay too and I will start a open source alternative by myself.

guap

Sep 23, 2007
Milano
nice app, but in my humble opinion is not so useful for now. Sorry :p but this is intended to be a constructive criticism :) let me explain

I had a tablet (huawei mediapad) embedded in my cockpit for almost 2 years now, this is my final build after many trials (buttons are usb-driven keyboard disassebled and re-routed) and I think I have a bit of experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7Dr5eOC2o

imho the PRIMARY lack of your project are the missing always visible shortcut on bottom bar to rapidly switch between navi/music/whatsapp and so on, they are absolutely necessary while driving

the second problem are the icons, they are WAY too small and close

the third problem (if you plan to have a built in device in your car) is the lack of a bluetooth handsfree "server" mode for android, and even on my solution isn't fixed at all (i use a twin sim on the tablet)

Also, the music interface seems a bit "chinese" but it's a matter of personal taste, I prefer poweramp with a nice skin that also gave me equalizer and the possibility to set different volumes for navigation and/or music

good luck :laugh: I spent MANY time to have all installed and configured (tasker/torque/desktop visualizer), can't wait to see a project that includes all aspect of a car front end in few clicks :good:

fivecheebs

Jul 22, 2009
Sorry for the OT

Also, the music interface seems a bit "chinese" but it's a matter of personal taste, I prefer poweramp with a nice skin that also gave me equalizer and the possibility to set different volumes for navigation and/or music

Could you give me some details about this? I'd love separate volume controls. Thanks in advance

centodue

Mar 6, 2008
I use it on Leagoo Lead 1 but when screen switch off the music stops.
I must disable disable lock screen. I set 15s of display on but the only solution is to disable lock screen :(
Is there another solution or I made setting mistaken?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dc-ad.jpg

Digital Car for Android out for testing...

To become part of the testing group you will need to do the following;

1. Go to the google community group CLICK HERE
    2 Join the group.
    3. Click to download the alpha version (top right)

You will now get updates as I release them :)

WATCH THE BELOW VIDEO SO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT...

New in this version (Alpha 1.02)
    Moved releases over to the Play store
    Fixed 'out of memory' start error

New in this version (Alpha 0.21)
    Fixed AudioManager when moving between external players (Pandora / Spotify / Tunein etc..)
    Improved icon launcher, now preloads icons in to an array
    few other bits..

version (Alpha 0.2)
    Added 8 preset app buttons
    Added App Launcher
    Added Background chooser
    Added Power awareness
    Added Other media awareness, pauses for navigation / Tunein etc..
    Added lots more.. (apols, can't remember everything)

Power awareness -
    1st set your device to sleep to 15 seconds - go to settings, display, sleep = 15 sec'd
    plug in your device and start Digital Car for Android up
    When you unplug it, it will pause and then let it self go to within 15 seconds
    Plug it back in and it will start playing

Background -
    To set you own image as a background, goto your internal storage device and you will see a folder called DigitalCar/Backgrounds. Just store them in there and next time you start DC up it will have them included. Please keep the images around 100k so not to cause a bitmap loading error.

I still need to do lots more, mainly in the settings.

Have fun...... and please give me some feedback :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Digital Car for Android, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    CdRsKuLL

Version Information

Created 2014-08-01
    Last Updated 2014-08-06
    Reaching Out

This is a plea for help from the developer. If development of this project cannot continue please release the source code. I've yet to find a better car front end and it would be a crying shame to have this go dark especially being so close to polished.
    This is my new skin. Icon of the car is stationary, rotating compass.
    NewSkin.png
    Great news!! Will be waiting the new release!

New version uploaded, should be available within the hour :)
    Made a bit of progress tonight :) You can now select mph or kph and choose a logo. All the logo's are in a folder you can add your own to if you wish.

Fixed some errors and improved lots of things (I hope).

settings.jpg

Hopefully get something up soon....

Steve