You can post the link here by replacing http with h**p

;)

Taken from 4 angles to try and make it a fair test with light source

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/1002095z.jpg/

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/1002096f.jpg/

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/1002094d.jpg/

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/1002093.jpg/

not seeing it on my

S2 Optus Australia branded phone which i had since June 3rd stock unrooted firmware.

LCD type: OCTA : SM2

GT-I9100
Android 2.3.3
I9100XXKDJ
2.6.35-7-I9100XWKE2-CL187606
GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

PDA: I9100XWKE2
PHONE: I9100XXKDJ
CSC: I9100PSKE3
Build Info: Fri May 6 07:48:55 KST 2011

galaxys2_yellowtint_check_02.jpg

Crazy CS

Jun 25, 2008
Melbourne
not seeing it on my

S2 Optus Australia branded phone which i had since June 3rd stock unrooted firmware.

GT-I9100
Android 2.3.3
I9100XXKDJ
GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

galaxys2_yellowtint_check_02.jpg

Can u take a direct on shot for us plz

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

jvidia

Jun 1, 2011
Lisbon
Taken from 4 angles to try and make it a fair test with light source

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/1002095z.jpg/

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/1002096f.jpg/

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/1002094d.jpg/

h**p://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/1002093.jpg/

You have it ;):

They are all the same. Give up folks LOL

Can u take a direct on shot for us plz

k

galaxys2_yellowtint_check_03.jpg

galaxys2_yellowtint_check_04.jpg

seriously it's a non-issue for me

GT-I9100
Android 2.3.3
I9100XXKDJ
GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

Last edited:

Crazy CS

Jun 25, 2008
Melbourne
k

galaxys2_yellowtint_check_03.jpg

galaxys2_yellowtint_check_04.jpg

seriously it's a non-issue for me

GT-I9100
Android 2.3.3
I9100XXKDJ
GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

Very easy to tell on your second image. Thanks for that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Natascha303

Jan 9, 2011
thx
but i have to take two-three "ticks" more to get on the same brightness like the right one... isnt that much more bad for the battery ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got my new SGS2 3 days ago, really liking it but stumbled into a screen problem and would like to know if it's just me/it's normal/I need to change a setting to fix the problem.

Just like the title says, the left side (about 1/3) of my screen changes the colour of the image to a more yellowish tint. This seems to happen just when the brightness is quite low, and tends to disappear when close to 100%.
    It is rather subtle, but can be seen where there's white text on a darker background (white characters become darker the closer they are to the left border), or when looking at an uniform colour.

I created this test page to make the problem more apparent: http://fiddle.jshell.net/qFxsC/1/show/
    When visiting it on the S2 browser and setting browser brightness to around 20%, it becomes quite visible.
    Anybody else with the same problem?

EDIT:
    We still DO NOT have pictures of a phone WITHOUT the problem described above!
    If you believe your SGS2 has a perfect screen, please post pics of the notification area taken in the dark at both 0-20% brightness and 100% brightness!

UPDATE
    Various websites have started to talk about this problem, linking to this thread:
    - http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/05/30/is-your-galaxy-s-iis-display-yellow-on-the-left/
    - http://pocketnow.com/android/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-screen-problems-trouble-in-paradise
    - http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/20...2-s-ii-screen-problems-users-en-masse-report/
    - http://gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_...y_uneven_brightness_yellow_tint-news-2719.php

I have just sent an email to GSMarena asking if they could check the unit they reviewed to see if it has the same problem. Of all the phone reviews I have seen, theirs seems to be the most focused on image quality, I'm sure that if their unit doesn't have this problem, they would be able to take clear shots of a flawless screen.

EDIT:
    GSMarena took screens of their unit using the above test link, and while so far I believe theirs is the best looking display that we have seen so far, it *STILL* has the problem.
    I am going to link this thread to samsung UK next, in the hopes they will give an official answer acknowledging the problem.

EDIT:
    latest firmwares seem to fix this problem or at least make it much less noticeable.
    Wow, a lot was covered in the past couple of pages. Some I wish I knew before I bought the phone. Here's what I've taken away:

1) The variance from screen to screen in SAMOLED is high. The poster who saw 11 phones each with screen variations from each other is pretty telling. I also did a search on "amoled screen problems" and forum posts popped up for pretty much every brand of phone that has the screen. Bottom line is you get brighter colors, blacker blacks, and along with that more risk that individual phones will perform differently. For those seeking perfection it doesn't look like SAMOLED offers any guarantees.

2) Expectations are different. I think I lucked out as there really isn't anything noticeable to me in everyday use. But because screens vary so much (see #1) it's really luck of the draw and may be that way for a long time unless technology and/or production processes improve. The response to this comment will probably be "but I owned a (insert phone here) and it never had any screen problems." From what I just read I'd ask if you saw them all? There might be something particularly funky with the new 4.3" screen or the SGS2 production process but apparently AMOLED has some drawbacks in every application.

3) If you accept that AMOLED has inherent flaws, Samsung obviously knows this. I read an interesting article that said the only reason Apple didn't go with SAMOLED in the iP4 was concerns about inventory being sufficient. I'm assuming they did a little research before considering the technology. You guys make it sound as if Samsung has three guys in a rice paddy designing and building their phones. They probably have hundreds of people in R&D, production, and QC with a million dollars of equipment at their disposal. A 95% quality benchmark is relatively easy to hit. Each point beyond that doubles in cost so 98-99% is a likely target. They probably have some sort of allowable flaw rate of "X per 1,000 units." If they're like every other company they continually pull random samples off the line to make sure they're hitting their QC benchmarks and tolerances. In short, they know when there's issues and they're willing to accept them to a prescribed threshold. Because we got phones early in the production process the "X per 1,000" may have been much higher than projected. Regardless, those waiting for some type of massive recall or mia culpa from Samsung are probably going to be waiting for a long time.

4) I posted pics of my phone for everyone to see and given the chance to swap it for a perfect specimen I'd probably avoid the hassle and keep it. It's literally fine for me. If in looking at the pics what's shown doesn't meet your standards, wait a couple months before making a purchase. Apparently mine's a better specimen and there's risk that whatever you get could be worse. Of course, what's good for some is awful for others so without a specific phone in front of you I guess its really hard to see where in the spectrum your expectations may fall.

So, basically, here are the options:

1) For those buying now, live with what you get and hope later production runs improve. Then, get your screen replaced under warranty at some point in the future.

2) Return the phone and re-buy a better specimen at some point in the future should things improve.

3) If you buy now and get a really crappy specimen, exchange it within the 7-28 day DOA window until you get an example you can live with hoping "perfect" might be available in the future.

4) For those importing the phone to the U.S., you should really consider the risk that exists. If you get a crappy specimen, you'll either have to ship it back to the UK or have Expansys do it for you. Since each phone seems to vary wildly the next one could be better or worse. Knowing what we know now I probably wouldn't have gotten the phone or waited a few months for things to shake out.

To those that are happy (I am), enjoy your phone. To those that aren't, pick one of the three options above. While storming the castle with pitchforks and torches makes for great theater, it rarely accomplishes anything. The SGS GPS issue was legend and much worse than this as it effected every phone. It took Samsung six months to react and they never publicly declared it an issue. So this thread can grow to a 1,000 pages and every online site could post a story a month about the SGS2 screen and nothing may ever happen since, like I said above, Samsung was most likely aware of the issue before we were.

Food for thought.
    Kind of like "if a tree falls in the woods can any one hear?" The only problems I care about are ones I can see. I'll tell the person who calibrates $5K monitors he doesn't know what he's doing because all the pros on this forum said so.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Why not cut the attitude and just take a picture of your screen. There is no need for hostility. We are all trying to help each other right?
    And you cant blame people that dont even know you for not trusting your word. So do the most logical thing, snap a picture. That is how science work. Evidence.

I am not saying i dont trust your word i am just saying that the rabbit is in your hat and you cant just tell people you have a rabbit in the hat without actually pulling out the rabbit and showing people.
    To everyone that went out of his/her way to tell us to get a grip: please drop it, this is clearly not the thread best suited for you.

I created this thread because I could see the problem even on the homescreen - the webpage came later, so that I could have a test case where it would be reliably absolutely obvious.

Some of you are happy with a less than perfect product.
    Not me and obviously not a fair few other people, or this problem would've never even hit endgadget and all the other sites otherwise.

I want a flawless smartphone, and I will either RMA my SGS2 till it gets fixed, or buy another phone.
    If you decided that your SGS2 is good enough, I don't see why you are implying that we should be happy with it as well. Do you see anybody suggesting you should RMA the phone you are happy about?

Also, I don't see why I should accept a flaw on my phone because your HDTV/LCD monitor/dishwasher display has one as well. My monitors and TVs are absolutely perfect, and I won't settle for anything less than that.
    You don't have to participate if if makes you such a grump.

Please don't mistake my intentions. From my post and thanks count you should be able to tell I'm not a troll. I don't for a munute doubt that there is an issue with the screen as outlined originally. I think the debate is over the severity of the problem, number of phones impacted, and whether each phone has the problem to the same degree.

Someone posted a screen shot of their phone a couple of pages back and proudly said, "see, my phone doesn't have it." He was corrected within minutes. He didn't have a problem and now he does. If the actual user of the phone can't detect the problem it can obviously be pretty subtle.

People that may be looking at purchasing a SGS2 could easily read this thread and think the phone's a disaster. That would be a shame. My counterpoint isn't by any means a personal attack or a denial of the issue. But, as in all discussion boards, exploring different viewpoints and sides of an issue should be healthy and welcome.

Expectations are personal. If yours haven't been met than by all means pursure any path you choose to rectify the situation. But just as it would be unfair of me to tell you what your expectations should be, the same holds in reverse when I offer a different viewpoint.

My wit sometimes doesn't translate well though the pen. If I offended anyone I'm sorry. Also, from PMs I've received, I'm not the only one that feels this way.