[HOWTO] Root any Atrix after .sbf flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

brandon15811

Dec 4, 2008
See 2nd post for International users and Fastboot rooting.

For ATT users only:
What this is:
This is a full clean SBF of 2.3.4 or 1.8.3 WITH the BL unlock and rooting built in to /preinstall.

Flashable SBF: Full 2.3.4 with preinstall root and pudding bootloader unlock, full sbf
Flashable SBF: Full 1.8.3 with Bootloader unlock and preinstall root. It's over 9000 (600mb DL service sbf)

1. Flash with RSDLite 5.3.1 or sbf_flash

2. Root your phone from adb
Code:
  adb shell
  /preinstall/restoresu
3. If you don't have superuser.apk do this as well
Code:
/preinstall/restoresu all
Apparently I am a terrible scripter, so follow eval-s instructions from here:
type in adb ("adb shell") or terminal emulator, exactly:
Code:
/preinstall/dosu
/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
The last step is optional (and next-to-last *should* be unnecessary), as you can install Superuser however you like. In fact, if you've installed it, simply typing "/preinstall/su" is another way to root, and you could then mount /system read-write and copy it into /system/bin.

4. Enjoy

Lastly, you can make your own preinstall pretty easily, include any kind of mod you want P_ROM etc. For instance when I reinstall I always want to install wget and crond, turn off tomoyo permissions and disable the usb plugin sound. You can put apps in /preinstall/app then make a md5sum file in /preinstall/md5 and apks will get loaded on reboot every time you flash. This is more of a fyi for those of you out there cooking up sbfs. you've got a huge partition to play with so I'm sure people out there can come up with creative ways of using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

eval-

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 24, 2008
Hi guys.. here is a useful little /preinstall for you (attached)

Put phone in fastboot mode, then:
Code:
fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
fastboot reboot
(older versions maybe need "fastboot -i 0x22b8")

after fastboot & reboot, type in adb ("adb shell") or terminal emulator, exactly:
Code:
/preinstall/dosu

The last step is optional (and next-to-last *should* be unnecessary), as you can install Superuser however you like. In fact, if you've installed it, simply typing "/preinstall/su" is another way to root, and you could then mount /system read-write and copy it into /system/bin.

Many thanks to Brandon & The2d for brainstorming this out in a crazy "there's no way it could be possible" rooting session. There were a lot of harder ways... who knew we'd be so lucky! And thanks to Edgan for the great "dosu" =)

You can find fastboot here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138092

Attachments

• preinstall.zip
    8 MB · Views: 18,736
Last edited:

neotekz

Oct 7, 2007
Ottawa
i just unlocked my phone and wanted to root, i installed the img but when i try to enter /preinstall/dosu it gives me file path not found. do i need to reboot or something after flashing the img?

Fausty

Aug 31, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Worked a treat with gingerbread! Thanks a lot guys!
For some reasons, could not adb to go, so had to do it with the terminal but it's all good!

rjohnstone

Hi guys.. here is a useful little /preinstall for you:

http://www.multiupload.com/A9X3718TXK

Code:

steps:
Code:
/preinstall/dosu
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138092

You still need to set the permissions on SU after you copy it from preinstall.
chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.. here is a useful little /preinstall for you (attached)

Code:
    fastboot reboot

after fastboot & reboot, type in adb ("adb shell") or terminal emulator, exactly:
    Code:
    /preinstall/dosu

Many thanks to Brandon & The2d for brainstorming this out in a crazy "there's no way it could be possible" rooting session. There were a lot of harder ways... who knew we'd be so lucky! And thanks to Edgan for the great "dosu" =)

You can find fastboot here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138092
    For windows users, here are the complete package and instructions

UPDATE: Initially I made some errors on the instructions, thanks for Mav3481 for pointing those out. Now everything should be correct.

For windows users who does not want to hunt in one thousand different posts:

Download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HB0IFFGJ

I repacked it with everything necessary for Windows, including adb, fastboot for windows, .img file etc. (worked on my Win7 64bit with a v2.3.4 Atrix).

1. Switch to fastboot mode by turning off your phone, and turning it back while holding down the Volume Down button until you see Fastboot on the screen. Press volume up button and you should see "Starting Fastboot protocol support".
    2. Extract the file you downloaded to your C: drive
    3. Open a command prompt on your computer (Windows logo key + R, type cmd) and go to that directory (should be c:/moto-fastboot-win32)
    4. Type the following commands one by one:
      Code:
      moto-fastboot.exe flash preinstall preinstall.img
      moto-fastboot.exe reboot
    5. At this point your phone will reboot. After it reboots completely, type the following on the same command prompt (if /preinstall/dosu does not work, try /preinstall/su):
      Code:
      adb shell
      /preinstall/dosu
    6. And reboot the phone, it should be rooted.

Thanks to everyone who created the individual files in this package.
    See 2nd post for International users and Fastboot rooting.

For ATT users only:
    What this is:
    This is a full clean SBF of 2.3.4 or 1.8.3 WITH the BL unlock and rooting built in to /preinstall.

Flashable SBF: Full 2.3.4 with preinstall root and pudding bootloader unlock, full sbf
    Flashable SBF: Full 1.8.3 with Bootloader unlock and preinstall root. It's over 9000 (600mb DL service sbf)

1. Flash with RSDLite 5.3.1 or sbf_flash

2. Root your phone from adb
    Code:
      adb shell
      /preinstall/restoresu
    3. If you don't have superuser.apk do this as well
    Code:
    /preinstall/restoresu all
    Apparently I am a terrible scripter, so follow eval-s instructions from here:
    type in adb ("adb shell") or terminal emulator, exactly:
    Code:
    /preinstall/dosu

4. Enjoy

Lastly, you can make your own preinstall pretty easily, include any kind of mod you want P_ROM etc. For instance when I reinstall I always want to install wget and crond, turn off tomoyo permissions and disable the usb plugin sound. You can put apps in /preinstall/app then make a md5sum file in /preinstall/md5 and apks will get loaded on reboot every time you flash. This is more of a fyi for those of you out there cooking up sbfs. you've got a huge partition to play with so I'm sure people out there can come up with creative ways of using it.
    this worked:

Code:
    adb shell
    cd /preinstall
    su
    reboot
    Woohoo! 10 char!