Line Level Output?

Search This thread

NikonUser

May 30, 2008
Hi there,

I'm looking for a line-level output for my Galaxy 7.7.

I can't seem to find anything that specifically mentions the 7.7 but have read that the 30 pin Samsung connector is compatible across all devices.

There are line level outputs on eBay (sorry, can't post links yet) that say they work with the galaxy tab P1000 and other galaxy tabs... Will these work with the 7.7?

What I would ideally like is something that will allow me to attach a USB DAC to the device to bypass the Galaxy DAC... but until we get ICS that's not going to happen (and I have my fingers crossed that ICS will actually allow for it)

Thanks,
Paul

geogetski666

Oct 25, 2009
Quezon City
Hi there,

I'm looking for a line-level output for my Galaxy 7.7.

I can't seem to find anything that specifically mentions the 7.7 but have read that the 30 pin Samsung connector is compatible across all devices.

There are line level outputs on eBay (sorry, can't post links yet) that say they work with the galaxy tab P1000 and other galaxy tabs... Will these work with the 7.7?

What I would ideally like is something that will allow me to attach a USB DAC to the device to bypass the Galaxy DAC... but until we get ICS that's not going to happen (and I have my fingers crossed that ICS will actually allow for it)

Thanks,
Paul

as of ics 4.0.3 on sgs2 there is still no support for usb dac :( looking forward to seeing a usb dac working on adroid phones also :)

daigled

Feb 14, 2012
I bought something from amazon and got audio out. The video out does not work however. I will send it to you in a PM since this site won't let me post the link due to me having less than 8 posts.

I would absolutely LOVE a feature that bypasses the internal DAC. Is that kind of thing really available via ICS? If so ... I might have just made a mess in my pants

NikonUser

May 30, 2008
I bought something from amazon and got audio out. The video out does not work however. I will send it to you in a PM since this site won't let me post the link due to me having less than 8 posts.

I would absolutely LOVE a feature that bypasses the internal DAC. Is that kind of thing really available via ICS? If so ... I might have just made a mess in my pants

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

You can keep your pants mess free for now. After doing a bit of reading it appears that ICS didn't enable USB host mode for audio like everyone thought it would. It is very high on the list of official feature requests/bug reports on the google code site. If you can find it then go and vote for it. Maybe Google will listen and offer an update soon.

Fingers crossed.

Paul

Dusko75

Jan 13, 2011
Ok... you want to output sound from your tablet to other equipment, right? Start by turning the volume down in the tablet, connect the headphones output of the tablet to the input of the device you want, start raising the volume to a little bit under clipping level of your other device, or before you hear distorted sound. When you're done, just start recording or whatever you are trying to do.
Anyway, there's no point to have a digital or high quality audio output in a tablet because they're not designed for that, even if you do it before DAC, your files are compresed (MP3, etc) right? . Do you have an extremely high quality song in your device?, if you do, you're probably a sound engineer, a professional musician or an audiophile and if that's the case you'll transfer the media to a more professional device or a dedicated media player.

For example, those cellphones that have hdmi output, yes is a good idea to connect it to your TV right? now, do you think the video you are playing through it has a great sound quality? NO, specially if it's some internet video... Putting things more simple: the audio quality of the actual media that's coming out your tablet 98% of the time does not have the quality to merit a digital/high end connection.

Now, there's a brand called COWON that has the best sound quality in media players, (Yes, best sound quality by far over Aple, Samsung, Sony, you name it, this is not because I say so, do some research and you'll be surprised) they don't make Tabs sorry. So if you really are concerned about audio quality, you should convert your music to Flac instead of MP3 and go for a device like that, otherwise you are wasting your money in technology when your source doesn't have the quality to match it.

You see what I mean? a Tablet is a portable all in one device, for high end video and sound you need a more dedicated device ;)

Do they have a cellphone or tablet with a hdmi output? what do they have in there? a Bluray movie? it would be soooo compressed that it loses the point of having a HDMI output.... why? because compression equals lower quality. So it's like having a Ferrari with bicycle wheels... Doesn't matter what the vendors tell you, to have a HDMI output in a cellphone it's just ridiculous, and whoever has it they probably use it a couple of times and they forgot about it because there's really no point on that. The only thing I can think of having a HDMI output in a tablet is maybe someone that needs to make a video presentation, maybe through a projector, something like that, and you don't need high end audio for that. The Tablet makers don't care if 1 person out of a million needs it, would you? And... Actually do they really need that? or it's more to impress their girlfriend or a neighbour? F*** That!! Right?

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm just trying to help you understand that it really is pointless....
The technology will evolve eventually and we will have better audio hardware in our tablets.... and a lot more memory to have those HD files that we really can't right now...But by then,,,, are you going to enjoy that quality in a $14.99 headphones?

With all this I'm not saying be happy with the crappy sound your device could have. I actually returned a few days ago a Galaxy Player 4.0 because I didn't like it's sound quality, I'm buying (when it comes out) a Cowon Z2..... can't wait. (if I have the money by then)

Take care guys, I hope I helped a least a little...

Last edited:

NikonUser

May 30, 2008
Ok... you want to output sound from your tablet to other equipment, right?

Right.

Start by turning the volume down in the tablet, connect the headphones output of the tablet to the input of the device you want, start raising the volume to a little bit under clipping level of your other device, or before you hear distorted sound. When you're done, just start recording or whatever you are trying to do.

The whole idea of getting a line-level output would be to bypass the internal (low quality) amp of the tablet and NOT have to play around with the volume trying to avoid clipping etc

Anyway, there's no point to have a digital or high quality audio output in a tablet because they're not designed for that, even if you do it before DAC, your files are compresed (MP3, etc) right? .

Eer, no. They are uncompressed FLAC files.

Maybe there is no point in YOUR tablet having a digital or high quality output... but that is NOT the case for me. Ideally I would like to hook the tablet up to an external DAC and/or Headphone amp (ideally a DAC and amp) and using it as a highly mobile, high quality source to listen to some high-end headphones for when I am away from home for a while.

Do you have an extremely high quality song in your device?, if you do, you're probably a sound engineer, a professional musician or an audiophile and if that's the case you'll transfer the media to a more professional device or a dedicated media player.

Yes I do, and no I am not a sound engineer or a pro musician. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile either, but I do enjoy audio and would like to do so when I am away from my home setup.

For example, those cellphones that have hdmi output, yes is a good idea to connect it to your TV right? now, do you think the video you are playing through it has a great sound quality? NO, specially if it's some internet video... Putting things more simple: the audio quality of the actual media that's coming out your tablet 98% of the time does not have the quality to merit a digital/high end connection.

Now, there's a brand called COWON that has the best sound quality in media players, (Yes, best sound quality by far over Aple, Samsung, Sony, you name it, this is not because I say so, do some research and you'll be surprised) they don't make Tabs sorry. So if you really are concerned about audio quality, you should convert your music to Flac instead of MP3 and go for a device like that, otherwise you are wasting your money in technology when your source doesn't have the quality to match it.

OK... I used to have a COWON D2. It was great. I now have a tablet and don't want to carry around heaps of devices and associated chargers if possible.

You see what I mean? a Tablet is a portable all in one device, for high end
video and sound you need a more dedicated device ;)

No you don't. If Google would enable us to attach a USB DAC via a software update then you wouldn't need anything more than a tablet and good quality files. Failing that a line-out that bypasses the internal amp would suffice for most.

Do they have a cellphone or tablet with a hdmi output? what do they have in there? a Bluray movie? it would be soooo compressed that it loses the point of having a HDMI output.... why? because compression equals lower quality. So it's like having a Ferrari with bicycle wheels... Doesn't matter what the vendors tell you, to have a HDMI output in a cellphone it's just ridiculous, and whoever has it they probably use it a couple of times and they forgot about it because there's really no point on that. The only thing I can think of having a HDMI output in a tablet is maybe someone that needs to make a video presentation, maybe through a projector, something like that, and you don't need high end audio for that. The Tablet makers don't care if 1 person out of a million needs it, would you? And... Actually do they really need that? or it's more to impress their girlfriend or a neighbour? F*** That!! Right?

With high capacity storage cards it is very possible to fit a couple of uncompressed bluray movies on your phone... or even more if you compress them. You can get VERY high quality movies to fit in 5-10GB of space these days. Although I don't have a use for it, I can certainly see how people might want to hook up a phone to a big TV and watch a movie via HDMI in GREAT quality.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm just trying to help you understand that it really is pointless....

Certainly no offence taken here, although I think you haven't really thought about all the possibilities that all the users of tablets and phones around the world might need.

The technology will evolve eventually and we will have better audio hardware in our tablets.... and a lot more memory to have those HD files that we really can't right now...But by then,,,, are you going to enjoy that quality in a $14.99 headphones?

With a digital output or bypassing the little internal amplifier the quality right now is just fine. You can fit plenty on a 64GB storage card.

My headphones cost more than 30x the price you quoted.

With all this I'm not saying be happy with the crappy sound your device could have. I actually returned a few days ago a Galaxy Player 4.0 because I didn't like it's sound quality, I'm buying (when it comes out) a Cowon Z2..... can't wait. (if I have the money by then)

Take care guys, I hope I helped a least a little...

Not really, but thanks for taking the time to reply.

Paul

Dusko75

Jan 13, 2011
Eer, I did mention about FLAC files (yes uncompressed). mmmm.. If I'm going to to attach some other devices to extract and process the digital audio from my tab I rather use a good media player for that and wait till the audio Hardware of the (future) tabs gets to a decent level. (And yes, I know what you mean with extracting the digital signal before DAC).
I like to have different specific devices for different things. I hope that tomorrow they really get into making great sound quality hardware for this android devices (that goes to I-pod-pad too) like Cowon does, in the meantime I'm happy with other devices to get the job done. Probably that's why what you are trying to do doesn't make sense to me having so many other and better options. But as you said, that's ME.
Ironically Cowon already got into Android, but there has to be something in its hardware that makes it the best. (I don't know if its JetEffects is hardware/software or only software).

I think the big difference here is that I don't see myself doing that kind of thing with a tablet, I rather use something else. That doesn't mean I can't change my mind in the future with the (almost) everyday newer and newer technology....

Am I right and you are wrong? NO, we're both right with the way we want to do our stuff, as long as we are happy with our results.

Nice talking/discussing with you.

Last edited: