Verizon VoLTE

Search This thread

Dri94

Oct 9, 2011
Florida
Just read about Verizons VoLTE rolling out soon finally. This enables much clearer calls and a new feature that actually might make me switch back to stock. Video Calls. i know we can do this with skype and oovoo and such but it will make it significantly easier to talk to loved ones that aren't on top of technology with native video calling in the dialer.

Are you excited for this feature? Don't care? Who really makes calls anymore anyways?

The Verge: Verizon announces initial rollout of VoLTE, HD voice for the 'coming weeks' http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwl6Odsx8

tedkunich

Nov 15, 2010
Just read about Verizons VoLTE rolling out soon finally. This enables much clearer calls and a new feature that actually might make me switch back to stock. Video Calls. i know we can do this with skype and oovoo and such but it will make it significantly easier to talk to loved ones that aren't on top of technology with native video calling in the dialer.

Are you excited for this feature? Don't care? Who really makes calls anymore anyways?

The Verge: Verizon announces initial rollout of VoLTE, HD voice for the 'coming weeks' http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwl6Odsx8

Saw that today, and my only response is... WTF? only works for verizon to verizon calls??? The call quality on verizon sucks big time - the bit-starved vocoder that they use is atrocious. Dare I say it, AMPS had better sound quality than the crap Verizon uses now. I have been hoping that the VoLTE would bring them at least on par with GSM call quality, but limiting it to only other verizon cellular customers is a joke. This may get the iphone uses all wet, hoping to surf and take a call simultaneously, but for most, it will turn out to be more fluff than substance....

T

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
Saw that today, and my only response is... WTF? only works for verizon to verizon calls??? The call quality on verizon sucks big time - the bit-starved vocoder that they use is atrocious. Dare I say it, AMPS had better sound quality than the crap Verizon uses now. I have been hoping that the VoLTE would bring them at least on par with GSM call quality, but limiting it to only other verizon cellular customers is a joke. This may get the iphone uses all wet, hoping to surf and take a call simultaneously, but for most, it will turn out to be more fluff than substance....

T

My guess is they are doing peer to peer connections so hitting someone on another carrier wouldn't work. They should be able to convert VoLTE on the back end to hand off when not calling a Verizon customer though.. odd that wouldn't do that.

Dri94

Oct 9, 2011
Florida
All the family i have uses verizon so to be it's no big deal. Does the clear voice only work Verizon to Verizon to?