[Q] Fingerprint Scanner Issues?

Search This thread

Airman1947

Feb 11, 2011
Anyone having this problem? I switched my lock screen security over to the fingerprint scanner the other day, and I seem to be having some problems with it. It works ok. Like I can scan my finger, and the screen will unlock, but I keep randomly also getting asked for my alternate password, which is the other way that I can unlock it.

I'll unlock the screen with my fingerprint, then it will ask me for my password. I can hit Cancel, and it will still work fine, or if I enter the password, it takes me to the Lock Screen settings. It also randomly asks for my password if I'm just doing something random, like using Google Maps. And now, sometimes the screen won't even come on, when I wake the device. Black screen, backlighting lights up. What the heck??? Very strange. Please help, thanks in advance,

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
I'm having issues with my finger print scanner

sent from my GS5 via tapatalk pro mmw68666

Anyone having this problem? I switched my lock screen security over to the fingerprint scanner the other day, and I seem to be having some problems with it. It works ok. Like I can scan my finger, and the screen will unlock, but I keep randomly also getting asked for my alternate password, which is the other way that I can unlock it.

I'll unlock the screen with my fingerprint, then it will ask me for my password. I can hit Cancel, and it will still work fine, or if I enter the password, it takes me to the Lock Screen settings. It also randomly asks for my password if I'm just doing something random, like using Google Maps. And now, sometimes the screen won't even come on, when I wake the device. Black screen, backlighting lights up. What the heck??? Very strange. Please help, thanks in advance,
I used the finger print scanner for a couple of weeks but went back to a pin because it was just quicker to unlock the device. The only time I got the "alternate password" was when I exceeded the five or six tries you get with the finger print scanner. Are you rooted and if so what apps/services do you have frozen?

Airman1947

Feb 11, 2011
I used the finger print scanner for a couple of weeks but went back to a pin because it was just quicker to unlock the device. The only time I got the "alternate password" was when I exceeded the five or six tries you get with the finger print scanner. Are you rooted and if so what apps/services do you have frozen?

Thanks for the reply! So, basically after failing to unlock with your fingerprint five or six times, it stopped letting you swipe the scanner, and prompted you for your password? Or did it unlock with your fingerprint on the fifth or sixth try, and THEN ask you for your password? Just wondering.

To answer your other quesiton, I am not rooted, but I do have a number of apps "Turned Off" via the Application Manager. They are:

Accessories
Amazon
Amazon Kindle
Amazon Appstore
Caller Name ID
Drive
Flipboard
Google Play Games
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
Hangouts
IMDb
Isis Mobile Wallet
Memo
POLARIS Office 5
Slacker
Verizon Tones
VZ Navigator

Should I not have any of these disabled? Thanks again!

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
Thanks for the reply! So, basically after failing to unlock with your fingerprint five or six times, it stopped letting you swipe the scanner, and prompted you for your password? Or did it unlock with your fingerprint on the fifth or sixth try, and THEN ask you for your password? Just wondering.

To answer your other quesiton, I am not rooted, but I do have a number of apps "Turned Off" via the Application Manager. They are:

Accessories
Amazon
Amazon Kindle
Amazon Appstore
Caller Name ID
Drive
Flipboard
Google Play Games
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
Hangouts
IMDb
Isis Mobile Wallet
Memo
POLARIS Office 5
Slacker
Verizon Tones
VZ Navigator

Should I not have any of these disabled? Thanks again!
It would not unlock the phone, I would have to enter the password to proceed. The apps you have turned off should not cause you a problem.

Airman1947

Feb 11, 2011
It would not unlock the phone, I would have to enter the password to proceed. The apps you have turned off should not cause you a problem.

Hmm intersting. So, my problem is different. Anyway, good to know that the apps I have disabled shouldn't cause a problem.

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe an app I recently got is causing the Lock Screen to go haywire. A couple weeks ago, I got an app called Worx Home from my workplace that allows me to check my work email on my phone. It actually forced me to have a security setting enabled on my lock screen, so maybe it's messing with it. I don't recall having this problem when I first got the phone, and tried out the fingerprint lock. Maybe I should mess with that app.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
Hmm intersting. So, my problem is different. Anyway, good to know that the apps I have disabled shouldn't cause a problem.

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe an app I recently got is causing the Lock Screen to go haywire. A couple weeks ago, I got an app called Worx Home from my workplace that allows me to check my work email on my phone. It actually forced me to have a security setting enabled on my lock screen, so maybe it's messing with it. I don't recall having this problem when I first got the phone, and tried out the fingerprint lock. Maybe I should mess with that app.

Anyway thanks for the replies.
Yeah, it sounds as if Worx Home could be your culprit.

Airman1947

Feb 11, 2011
Yeah, it sounds as if Worx Home could be your culprit.

Yeah, I think that's a safe bet. In fact, if I read the documentation correctly for Worx Home, the app checks your phone's security every 6 hours to make sure you have a password, pin or pattern setup on your lock screen. Guess maybe it doesn't like the fingerprint scanner since it's such a new feature, and it tries to pull up my Lock Screen Settings, hence the random Alternate Password screen.

Alright, guess I gotta either suck it up, or switch to a pattern or something. Thanks again!

P.S. Can disabling S-Voice or Samsung Messages cause any problems?