towelroot support broken

Search This thread
Sep 26, 2014
I can tell that my Fire TV is German, ordered at and delivered by amazon.de. I already wrote this on your helpful site, I have the same Software version. There was no chance to skip the first setup, I have set the Blockings, but still wants an update. Very frustrating, can't use xbmc if I can't connect a hard drive.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I can tell that my Fire TV is German, ordered at and delivered by amazon.de. I already wrote this on your helpful site, I have the same Software version. There was no chance to skip the first setup, I have set the Blockings, but still wants an update. Very frustrating, can't use xbmc if I can't connect a hard drive.

When you first turned it on. It said "press play to continue". Was that in German and English or just English?

Sep 26, 2014
Sorry, i am not sure about that. Could be English. What I also tried was a factory reset and choose the English language at the initial setup, hoping that this might deliver a supported software. But no luck.

Richard.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Sorry, i am not sure about that. Could be English. What I also tried was a factory reset and choose the English language at the initial setup, hoping that this might deliver a supported software. But no luck.

Richard.

If it gave you a language selection then it already had 51.1.3.0 to begin with.

Hitchi

Oct 13, 2008
Yes there was a language selection on first setup. So we have to wait whether some good devs can provide root for it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Turned my Fire TV on to an update notification. Updated hoping for more features, i.e.Prime Music use but to no avail. It also had the added (dis)benefit of disabling root and preventing towelroot from reenabling. Any thoughts?

One interesting thing I found out is that it is possible to enable installation from unknown sources with out editing the original settings.apk.

So you're the second person to claim to have gotten an update. I still haven't gotten it. I'd be curious to see if they've patched the bootloader. I'll have to wait until @AFTVnews.com or I get the update and get the URL to examine it. It's possible you'll be able to downgrade, but without knowing what was in the update I'm not going to encourage such an action. But if you want to try it out on your own, go right ahead. There are instructions and URLs in a few posts here. Just know if they updated the bootloader and turn on anti-downgrade flags, it might brick.
    So you're the second person to claim to have gotten an update. I still haven't gotten it. I'd be curious to see if they've patched the bootloader. I'll have to wait until @AFTVnews.com or I get the update and get the URL to examine it. It's possible you'll be able to downgrade, but without knowing what was in the update I'm not going to encourage such an action. But if you want to try it out on your own, go right ahead. There are instructions and URLs in a few posts here. Just know if they updated the bootloader and turn on anti-downgrade flags, it might brick.
    One of my Fire TV's tends to get updates early so hopefully it'll get updated tomorrow. I'll be sure to set it up to sniff out the update URL.
    Do you have a new version number you can provide us?

51.1.2.0_user_512073320 according AFTV.com
    Downgrade To Previous Firmware

Would downgrading to previous firmware update allow for the ability to root the Fire TV?

EDIT: Will be receiving a new Fire TV from Amazon tomorrow and if it comes with the new firmware update, I'll downgrade and report on whether it works or not. Nothing to lose on my part if it bricks as I will be able to return it to Amazon.