My Galaxy Nexus goes crazy (battery/charging issue)

Search This thread

gniouki

Apr 11, 2009
Le Chesnay
www.asuspad.fr
Hi everyone (and sorry for my bad english) !

Since some days my GSM Galaxy Nexus is anoying me with a problem I can't understand.

At random moments, my GN thinks he is charging but he isn't even plugged !

The indicator in the notification bar shows the battery is in charge and all the phone believes he is charging.

Other problème, the charging indicatore comes and goes again and again and again, so the scree goes on everytime the GN is "plugged in".
My battery goes down at the speed of light this way ...

I tried to wipe, uninstall potential apps that could cause the issue, changing rom, changing kernel ... It still happening but not every time. Often it comes when the battery is under 50% or arround. I also have battery drops when I reboot the phone, like if the battery wasn't correctly calibrate ...

If I reboot the phone, the problem still here, if i get the battery off and then put it back and reboot the phone it works normaly ... for a indeterminate time ...

This problem make me crazy, is anyone got a solution ?

Thanks for all.

flx-grafix

Jan 13, 2011
I would definitely demand a replacement battery. For me it seems like the battery is broken, therefore it's a warranty issue. If the problem still exists, it must be the hardware of the phone itself. I don't think it's a software problem, since you wiped, changed rom and even the kernel.
So demand a replacement of the battery!

gniouki

Apr 11, 2009
Le Chesnay
www.asuspad.fr
Thanks for your answer ! I'll try this but I don't think samsung customer support will send me a replacement battery like that, they will ask me to send back the phone I think.

datboiro

Jul 6, 2007
I recently had the same issue... here's what fixed it for me. I took the battery out and left the phone plugged into the outlet. Let it sit. I then installed the battery and let it finish its charge while the phone was off. I then took the battery out, unplugged the charger from the phone, and reinserted battery. Power on, VOILA! Mine was back to normal. Hope this helps.

Melhouse

Dec 12, 2011
I have the exact same problem, and have also commented on the issue at code.google.com. I have also tried "everything". Changed ROM, kernel, wiped battery stat, even let it fully charge while off. Still the same problem where it show as charging in notification bar when unplugged.. and when it have drained to below 50% or so, it start to flicked between charging and not-charging and drains even faster.

After checking CPU Spy it tells me that the phone never goes to sleep, this causes the battery to only last about 12-14 hours by itself..

I have also tryed to open the phone and clean the connector, but it did not fix it. One thing that is strange, is if I pry a toot stick or similar in the micro-usb-connector to press the connector plate (inside the micro-usb-connector) down with the phone faced up, it actually stops to flicker and stays not-charging.

---------- Post added 5th January 2012 at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was 4th January 2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

Same problem here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379478 and here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21031287#post21031287

alghtani33

Nov 22, 2010
I have the same problem, and it make my crazy.
I bought the phone about month ago and this problem came in the second week.

datboiro

Jul 6, 2007
I plugged my phone up to my car charger omw home for lunch and the stupid charging issue started to happen all over again... I had to do the whole thing over again. Remove otterbox, back shell, battery, and put it all back together. I'm really trying to avoid swapping the phone out with verizon. With the way it's looking, I'm about to call and hassle a VZW CSR and get me an instant swap in the morning. This is unacceptable SAMSUNG. Bad thing is, it must be common with Smsg phones, as I found 5 other devices of theirs that seemed to have the same problem Nexus S and Fascinate being two of them.

ryan95i4

Jun 7, 2010
Same issue here as well, with the battery icon showing the charging bolt despite not being plugged in.

This will happen when the phone is not in use, and ill notice the screen flash on for a moment.

I tried the solution offered in this thread, only to have the symptom return just hours after powering the phone back on, and w/o being plugged back into another charger.

Melhouse

Dec 12, 2011
I have now ordered a new USB connector board to see if that fixes it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150713366355

Will report back.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

When did you buy your phones? This could be a problem on early batches.

Could you see what part number you have on the actual USB connector?

I see that on this replacement board the number is 1H13D, while my number is 1J10F.

The replacement board with 1H13D written on it: http://www.globaldirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SMSNG6111630-6.jpg

Last edited:

burnmatoaka

Dec 11, 2010
I have now ordered a new USB connector board to see if that fixes it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150713366355

Will report back.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

When did you buy your phones? This could be a problem on early batches.

Could you see what part number you have on the actual USB connector?

I see that on this replacement board the number is 1H13D, while my number is 1J10F.

The replacement board with 1H13D written on it: http://www.globaldirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SMSNG6111630-6.jpg

Hey, strong work! You might diagnose this thing before Google does. Keep us posted.

JSY00

May 12, 2009
I'm experiencing this too, I did have it go away for about a week, but now it's back. I"m not looking forward to RMAing it, because I ordered it from the US and I'm in the Caribbean. I'm hoping the USB board replacement will work - waiting to see the results.

teleknEsis

Sep 5, 2009
So glad I finally found this thread....

This started happening to me Friday night. First thing I noticed was while I was out the battery symbol had the lightning bolt in it as if it was charging, but it wasn't.

Long story short, nothing I do is able to charge the phone, both while the phone is on and while the phone is off) and it's REALLY pissing me off. The only response I can get from the phone is when it's off, it keeps looping over the two battery animations and acts like it's charging, but it's really not.

In all my playing around with it I somehow got it to charge to 40% yesterday. The only thing I can say for certain was that the phone was plugged in while I was trying to boot it up and when it shut off I didn't see the battery charging animations so I left it alone for a little bit before I checked it out and was surprised to see it charged a bit.

Today I was able to have it happen again and got the battery to 60%. This time I Started from the bootloader and again, when it turned off, I didn't see the battery animation.

I was able to reproduce this again just now by going into the bootloader and just choosing the option to power it off. Will report back in a little while to let you know if it charged past 60% after doing that.

Edit: powering off from the bootloader did not charge the phone. I accidentally pulled the battery and it went from 60% to 37% when I turned it back on. I think there is something screwy with my battery. Does anyone know if the regular Verizon battery fits in the GSM version?

Last edited:

DaJMasta

Jan 8, 2012
I've got at least a similar issue, but managed to get a fix working (at least for now). I've had the phone for about 2.5 hours now. I got it with around 50% charge, after 1.5 hours, it was at 24% so I went to charge it. Tried the included USB cable to my Windows 7 PC, it tried to install drivers, the install failed. The battery was labeled as still discharging and the unlock screen told me to charge the battery.

I proceeded to try the samsung charging head thing with the original cable in one outlet, then in two more - same result, no charging indicated. Tried with a brand new micro USB cable and had no results. Tried the other cable with the PC. I read around on the issue a bit and found this thread, since people were saying it could be software related, I figured I would power down the device and try again.

I powered down the phone while it was disconnected from USB. I then plugged it into the USB cable connected to my computer. My PC then recognized the device and installed the drivers correctly, the bolt over the battery icon appeared on the Galaxy Nexus's screen. I let the screen turn off then woke it again, the battery charging animation was going. I booted the device while connected to USB. Now in the OS it says the battery is charging and it was charging from about 42% - so I think the actual battery power was not being properly reported before the reboot and when the charging problems were happening.

I'm hoping this has set it to work, but if something else happens, I'll post here again.

teleknEsis

Sep 5, 2009
I've got at least a similar issue, but managed to get a fix working (at least for now). I've had the phone for about 2.5 hours now. I got it with around 50% charge, after 1.5 hours, it was at 24% so I went to charge it. Tried the included USB cable to my Windows 7 PC, it tried to install drivers, the install failed. The battery was labeled as still discharging and the unlock screen told me to charge the battery.

I proceeded to try the samsung charging head thing with the original cable in one outlet, then in two more - same result, no charging indicated. Tried with a brand new micro USB cable and had no results. Tried the other cable with the PC. I read around on the issue a bit and found this thread, since people were saying it could be software related, I figured I would power down the device and try again.

I powered down the phone while it was disconnected from USB. I then plugged it into the USB cable connected to my computer. My PC then recognized the device and installed the drivers correctly, the bolt over the battery icon appeared on the Galaxy Nexus's screen. I let the screen turn off then woke it again, the battery charging animation was going. I booted the device while connected to USB. Now in the OS it says the battery is charging and it was charging from about 42% - so I think the actual battery power was not being properly reported before the reboot and when the charging problems were happening.

I'm hoping this has set it to work, but if something else happens, I'll post here again.

I've had the phone for over a month now and never had any issues. I've been trying to plug into a Mac so drivers aren't an issue (I know from previous phones that in Windows the phone wouldn't charge until the right drivers were installed).

There's definitely something very wrong w/ the phone and I fear it's likely a hardware issue, as even when the phone is off it won't charge (but acts kind of like it is).

Right now the only surefire way for me to charge my phone is let it die all the way down and keep trying to boot it up until it dies during a boot before the OS comes up (at which point it'll charge).

teleknEsis

Sep 5, 2009
For what it's worth I fixed the phone on Monday. I stuck a wooden stir stick from work in the usb port and pushed down on the plate inside ever so slightly. I'd seen this suggestion from a few places online, but I was pretty skeptical. Well, much to my surprise it started charging!

I quickly got it back to it's stock state and re-locked the booloader in case I end up needing to send the phone back to Sammy if the problem happens again.

So far so good, but I've been very careful when plugging and unplugging the usb cord.

JSY00

May 12, 2009
I think it's important to keep the OP's issue in mind, because I'm pretty sure there are two different issues here.
1)Many of us have an issue were the phone shows it's charging WHILE UNPLUGGED, causing the screen to flick on repeatedly. This may/may not be accompanied by a charging issues - in my case it isn't.
2)A second issue where owners have problems charging their phones (but never experience the charging while unplugged bug).

I think the intent of this thread is to track (1). I've never heard of the toothpick issue helping those experiencing (1).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOT a software problem

Guys, I had this happen to my phone within a week of owning it (a week after release). I almost returned it, but fixed the issue myself. the issue is with the charging terminals touching in the USB/Charging port. Get a flashlight and shine it directly into the port. You'll see the outer part of port is metal, and in the center is a 'tongue' that is also metal, these are the 'terminals'. In my case the tongue was very slightly touching the outer terminal - probably due to the times i carelessly shoved the charger into the port (sometimes upside down). This essentially bent the tongue downwards, and when the two terminals are in contact, the charging circuit is short circuited. I fixed this by taking a pin (though anything flat/thin could work) and pressed the tongue in the opposite direction. This centered the tongue, and by being careful when plugging in my charger, it's never happened since.
    Had the same issue. Went crazy trying to figure it out.

But it was a simple fix.

I took a thin knife and bent the little 4-pin plate in the USB port up by a millimeter. It was touching the bottom of the port causing a short-circuit and made the phone think it was plugged into a computer USB cable.

Havent had the issue since then, but then again I also stopped using my little USB dongle that caused the USB pins to bend down in the first place.
    Hi fellow Gnex users,

I also had the same issue and read a lot of tweaks, techniques, and workarounds not only here in xda but also in other sites.

and this is confirmed a hardware problem in the usb port, not software related.Trust me, Ive flashed a lot of ROMS like hell and it still happens.

But this worked for me.. Im not having the issue for a week now. Crossing my fingers it wont happen again.

Before I begin saying the solution, I noticed this problem started when I began using my Nexus 7 usb cable as my main charger both for my Gnex and Nex7, since it was convenient for me.

I already forgot who or where I read the statement, but I guess this user was also using a different cable rather than THE ORIGINAL CABLE PROVIDED FOR THE GALAXY NEXUS, and he/she managed to heal the problem over time by religiously using the official cable. I didnt believe it at first but when I double checked with my own eyes, the usb connector's "teeth" is slightly different from other cables, which is the reason why the official cable fits fully into my Gnex and the Nex7 cable was not fitting fully although it also works. Didnt notice it before but I think it damaged it a bit.

Here's what I did.

I used an office pin,
    PushPin.jpg

and pushed the tongue of the Gnex's usb port very lightly and slightly upward(towards glass) so it no longer touches the base which I believe is the cause of using a different cable. While doing this, I noticed my Gnex doing the phantom charge once again. After this I gently blew inside the port for any dust and used a toothpick with a small cloth dipped very lightly on isopropyl alcohol to gently clean it for any dust, Please take note to do this VERY GENTLY and make sure the cloth isnt fully wet by the alcohol, but enough to make the dust sink in the cloth. Fully check the bottom of the tongue if there is absolutely no point of contact within the base even dust.

After this, the problem still persists.. and I am forced to reinsert the battery and be lucky to have it charged truly when I needed it to be charged.

but in these days I used the official cable provided, the problem was slowly going away, and right now I have recorded that its been a week that absolutely no problem happened. It was charging normally, it was detected by usb charging and media connection as well and the phantom charge never happened. During sleep I only lose a few percentages which was normal.

I hope this helps to others, I am not technically speaking that my methods above will surely cure the issue but it worked for me. Hope it doesnt happen again.

PLEASE USE THE OFFICIAL CABLE PROVIDED BEFORE IT GETS TOO LATE!

Regards,
    noojster
    This is the solution that worked for me

Guys, I had this happen to my phone within a week of owning it (a week after release). I almost returned it, but fixed the issue myself. the issue is with the charging terminals touching in the USB/Charging port. Get a flashlight and shine it directly into the port. You'll see the outer part of port is metal, and in the center is a 'tongue' that is also metal, these are the 'terminals'. In my case the tongue was very slightly touching the outer terminal - probably due to the times i carelessly shoved the charger into the port (sometimes upside down). This essentially bent the tongue downwards, and when the two terminals are in contact, the charging circuit is short circuited. I fixed this by taking a pin (though anything flat/thin could work) and pressed the tongue in the opposite direction. This centered the tongue, and by being careful when plugging in my charger, it's never happened since.

The above post from JSY00 worked for me straight away. I couldn't see the tongue touching the outer part, but despite that I still tried the fix. I pushed a toothpick into the port slightly in to lift the tongue away from its closest wall. I also cleaned out a bit of fluff from the port, but I don't think that will have helped much.

My phone now works as it used to, and doesn't say it's charging constantly :). Thank you JSY00! (I signed up here only to report that your method worked).

This solution was free (apart from 1 toothpick required) and saved me a week or two to wait for a repair, which many people have reported didn't make things better. A hardware problem often requires a hardware solution.

Will report back.

Hey, strong work! You might diagnose this thing before Google does. Keep us posted.

I got this connector board today, and after replacing it the false positive charging indicator problem is fixed!

The installation was also quite simple to do, so if you don't want to send your phone to a service center you can buy this part and replace it yourself.