What will be the next QWERTY slider for you? Rumors welcome...

Search This thread

Some_dude36

Mar 21, 2012
hollow earth
ok, here is sort a dream: if Samsung would put the Sidekick 4G keyboard on the Galaxy S III! i would buy that SO fast! otherwise i just gotta wait and see what comes out i guess, there is nothing that i know of yet.

Tmobile did say the Sidekick line would continue, and if they could keep the great keyboard, AND bring up the other specs closer to a high-end device, i would get that.

indeed thats the only thing I didnt like about the sidekick line . it seemed to be not as hardware intensive so kids could have a cool phone that didnt break the parents bank .... although I will say the sidekick 4g stepped it up a bit but if I were to get one id wanna see dual core atleast 8mp cam 1080 you know all the minimum specs to make it a superphone

But I just looked and apparently Tmo is discontinuing the sidekick line
http://www.tmonews.com/2012/03/t-mobile-discontinues-the-sidekick-4g-i-hope-we-see-a-follow-up-soon/

Honestly I think the MT4GS may be the last of the great qwerty's -__-

Last edited:

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
indeed thats the only thing I didnt like about the sidekick line . it seemed to be not as hardware intensive so kids could have a cool phone that didnt break the parents bank .... although I will say the sidekick 4g stepped it up a bit but if I were to get one id wanna see dual core atleast 8mp cam 1080 you know all the minimum specs to make it a superphone

But I just looked and apparently Tmo is discontinuing the sidekick line
http://www.tmonews.com/2012/03/t-mobile-discontinues-the-sidekick-4g-i-hope-we-see-a-follow-up-soon/

Honestly I think the MT4GS may be the last of the great qwerty's -__-

whoa, you scared me for a minute there, but i think that was just the announcement for the Sidekick 4G being retired. 3 days after that article came this one, where they say the Sidekick line will continue(well, it's a little vague, but...):

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/03/t-mo...-retirement-says-sidekick-line-will-continue/

but yeah, the Sidekick 4G isn't bad at all, once they fixed some bugs and after i rooted and debloated it... i'm actually using that device over the MT4GS for a few weeks now. the processor is good, the screen is good enough for me, the keyboard is awesome; where they skimped i guess is on the smaller amt. of ROM/RAM, and on the 3 MP camera, which is kinda low for these days. but i really dig the physical design, the way the screen tilts slightly forward, etc.

that would be awesome to see what you described. it seems kinda like a no-brainer that that would be an awesome phone! i potentially wouldn't mind if they also upped the screen to 3.6 or 3.7 in. maybe :)

Last edited:

Some_dude36

Mar 21, 2012
hollow earth
Oh , im sorry yea I saw that when I looked back it was just a EOL for the sidekick 4g .

Yea if they made a updated sidekick atleast 1.2 duallie , 8mp cam 1080 , Super amoled? gorilla glass? TV out ? oh man id be all over that bad boy

Look at the specs on this beast
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_d_quad_xl-4569.php not a qwerty though
1.5 ghz quad core , TV OUT 8gb rom , 1gb ram

I wonder what the quality of huawei is ?

Last edited:
Reactions: yogi2010

Unrelashade

Sep 7, 2009
Hark my dear qwerty loving fellows!
I forecast a neeewww era of qwerty phones, which will work like that:

Buy qwerty-keyboard-equipment specially crafted for your next multi-core, hd display, uber slim device. Since it is so uber slim, it is not a problem to make it a bit thicker by attaching an external USB-keyboard. Also, by not needing any battery it will stay pretty slim and still feel good in your pocket. For the power users who want it, there can be even an additional battery, like for the Asus Transformer. You might also be able to use the keyboard as a charging device/ spare battery, even if you don't use the keyboard. (For trips, e.g.)

USB Android keyboard already exist (http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-to-add-a-usb-keyboard-to-an-android-phone/) and smaller ones already exist for the iPhone (blurgh) even if it only works through bluetooth and needs its own battery to work (http://www.gizmag.com/nuu-minikey-sliding-qwerty-keypad-case-iphone-4/18612/)

What do you say? U like? Or unrealistic?
Regards
Unrelashade

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Also, keep your eyes open for the Motorola Jet. Although I can't find any news on it :( newest seems to be this:
http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-phone-2012-42303/

Last edited:

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Hark my dear qwerty loving fellows!
I forecast a neeewww era of qwerty phones, which will work like that:

Buy qwerty-keyboard-equipment specially crafted for your next multi-core, hd display, uber slim device. Since it is so uber slim, it is not a problem to make it a bit thicker by attaching an external USB-keyboard. Also, by not needing any battery it will stay pretty slim and still feel good in your pocket. For the power users who want it, there can be even an additional battery, like for the Asus Transformer. You might also be able to use the keyboard as a charging device/ spare battery, even if you don't use the keyboard. (For trips, e.g.)

USB Android keyboard already exist (http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-to-add-a-usb-keyboard-to-an-android-phone/) and smaller ones already exist for the iPhone (blurgh) even if it only works through bluetooth and needs its own battery to work (http://www.gizmag.com/nuu-minikey-sliding-qwerty-keypad-case-iphone-4/18612/)

What do you say? U like? Or unrealistic?
Regards
Unrelashade

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Also, keep your eyes open for the Motorola Jet. Although I can't find any news on it :( newest seems to be this:
http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-phone-2012-42303/

I'd love to buy an Asus Transformer Prime Mini!!!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

monkor

Mar 22, 2012
DC
No matter what cool QWERTY sliders come out, I'm going to go ahead and assume none of them will make it to T-Mobile. Still, the prices and customer service are great, so I have no intention of abandoning them. Having 4 major phone companies definitely helps keep things competitive. That being said, god I wish for once we'd get something like the Motorola Jet...

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
No matter what cool QWERTY sliders come out, I'm going to go ahead and assume none of them will make it to T-Mobile. Still, the prices and customer service are great, so I have no intention of abandoning them. Having 4 major phone companies definitely helps keep things competitive. That being said, god I wish for once we'd get something like the Motorola Jet...

My carrier loyalty goes where the hardware takes me. On that account, the only reason I am with T-mo is due to the doubleshot. If this was a sprint device, i'd be with them.

If another carrier comes out with a device with a hardware keyboard and S4 or greater chipset, I'll be on their network in the blink of an eye.

I had a second doubleshot with no sim card or cell service for a while, I can find enough wifi that the carrier is really irrelevant when it all comes down to it .

Sent from a digital distance.

monkor

Mar 22, 2012
DC
My carrier loyalty goes where the hardware takes me. On that account, the only reason I am with T-mo is due to the doubleshot. If this was a sprint device, i'd be with them.

If another carrier comes out with a device with a hardware keyboard and S4 or greater chipset, I'll be on their network in the blink of an eye.

I had a second doubleshot with no sim card or cell service for a while, I can find enough wifi that the carrier is really irrelevant when it all comes down to it .

Sent from a digital distance.

I envy your ability to be so flexible, not a bad trait to have.

I live just on the outskirts of DC, so I could technically get any carrier. But I previously had AT&T, and their customer service was brutal. Verizon is the best obviously, but it's also too expensive for my taste. And for whatever reason T-Mobile gives me, essentially, unlimited data (I've gone over 8 GB *intentionally* more than one time without being throttled; I pay for 2GB) for dirt cheap and I have perfect service at my house. For me, it's a no brainer.

Very true, that the Wi-Fi infrastructure is greatly improving. Having a signal doesn't mean the end of the world, in most cases.

WLDock

Sep 4, 2011
IMO, I think the design of the Nokia E7-00 is one of the sweetest Qwertys out right now. If I could dream a bit...that design with a new dual core, card slot, removable battery, and Ice Cream sandwich would keep me content for awhile. Too bad... Will be interesting to see what happens with Nokia.

I wanted a nice QWERTY myself but gave up waiting for something nice to come to T-Mobile. My wife has the Moto Cliq 2 and I am about to pick up the myTouch 4G Touch for her as she will not use a touch screen only phone.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ben7337

Jul 18, 2010
IMO, I think the design of the Nokia E7-00 is one of the sweetest Qwertys out right now. If I could dream a bit...that design with a new dual core, card slot, removable battery, and Ice Cream sandwich would keep me content for awhile. Too bad... Will be interesting to see what happens with Nokia.

I wanted a nice QWERTY myself but gave up waiting for something nice to come to T-Mobile. My wife has the Moto Cliq 2 and I am about to pick up the myTouch 4G Touch for her as she will not use a touch screen only phone.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Googled, saw 4 row keyboard. Instant fail in my book.

This thread looks to have died about a week ago, but has anyone heard anything about a qwerty slider with a bigger than 4" screen? I really think we need a 4.3"+ slider here. I mean it's 100% doable within a reasonable size.

Take the HTC Rezound and Thunderbolt, both over 13mm thick. I think the rezoung is 13.7. So is the motorola droid 2, the droid 4 is 12.7mm thick, even thinner than these htc phones. On top of that the droid x that paired with the droid 2 in similar specs was 9.9mm thick. The droid razr maxx is 9mm thick. So I don't see why we can't get a Droid 4 maxx with 4.3" screen, same size, just 13mm thick instead of the 9.9 razr maxx. It'd still be thinner than the HTC high end phones with the exact same screen size. There's no excuse blaming thickness as a reason to not have a slider.

Motorola might be annoying and lock their phones down as much as possible, but I'd be willing to ignore that fact if they'd just get a nice droid 4 maxx with 4.3" screen out.

Or samsung could do a galaxy SIII slider, that would be awesome too with a 4.8" screen, or maybe the 4.65" screen of the galaxy nexus. I'm sure they could make it only 13mm thick as well, but it wouldn't get the awesome battery of the moto phone.

Also just realized this is a tmobile thread, I was wondering what was with their phones being talked about only. Anyway all carriers deserve some phone like this.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008

This thread looks to have died about a week ago, but has anyone heard anything about a qwerty slider with a bigger than 4" screen? I really think we need a 4.3"+ slider here. I mean it's 100% doable within a reasonable size.

Take the HTC Rezound and Thunderbolt, both over 13mm thick. I think the rezoung is 13.7. So is the motorola droid 2, the droid 4 is 12.7mm thick, even thinner than these htc phones. On top of that the droid x that paired with the droid 2 in similar specs was 9.9mm thick. The droid razr maxx is 9mm thick. So I don't see why we can't get a Droid 4 maxx with 4.3" screen, same size, just 13mm thick instead of the 9.9 razr maxx. It'd still be thinner than the HTC high end phones with the exact same screen size. There's no excuse blaming thickness as a reason to not have a slider.

Motorola might be annoying and lock their phones down as much as possible, but I'd be willing to ignore that fact if they'd just get a nice droid 4 maxx with 4.3" screen out.

Or samsung could do a galaxy SIII slider, that would be awesome too with a 4.8" screen, or maybe the 4.65" screen of the galaxy nexus. I'm sure they could make it only 13mm thick as well, but it wouldn't get the awesome battery of the moto phone.

Also just realized this is a tmobile thread, I was wondering what was with their phones being talked about only. Anyway all carriers deserve some phone like this.

Well, I have a Droid 4 for work and I don't really like it so much. The keyboard is nice but it's ridiculously loud. The device itself is way too big. You're asking for a 4.3+ screen size and I'll say you're crazy. Why not just hold a tablet up to your face and make a phone call?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA Premium App

Reactions: SKAm69

godbilla

Jan 26, 2011
I agree that anything over 4.3 is a little big, but the first samsung epic 4g slide didn't seem, too big. My friend has a galaxy note and he looked rather ridiculous holding the phone to his face. My dream phone would be----->

4-4.3" screen 720p sled or samoled
And a slide out keyboard just like the one from the HTC EVO Shift.. out of all of my QWERTY phones I've had, it had the best keyboard.
12mp camera
Also.. quad core exynos say whaaat.. ya its only a dream though.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
4 inch screen
Barely any bezel
3 hard keys
Slide out keyboard that slides like Evo Shift but looks and feels like the HTC Pro
NFC
Quad core
64 GB internal
Swappable micro SD on side, additional micro SD behind battery
2 stereoptic 12.1 MP back, 3.2 MP front
Led flash back
Built in Power Mat conductivity
Micro hdmi out
16mm audio jack
Sense
Unlocked bootloader and nvflash
Boot animation that says Apple sucks

2G1J

Mar 31, 2010
Austin
4 inch screen
Barely any bezel
3 hard keys
Slide out keyboard that slides like Evo Shift but looks and feels like the HTC Pro
NFC
Quad core
64 GB internal
Swappable micro SD on side, additional micro SD behind battery
2 stereoptic 12.1 MP back, 3.2 MP front
Led flash back
Built in Power Mat conductivity
Micro hdmi out
16mm audio jack
Sense
Unlocked bootloader and nvflash
Boot animation that says Apple sucks

You had me until you said Sense. My two encounters with Sense have been terrible, this phone and the HD2, and much prefer plain vanilla Android like my G1 and G2 had.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
You had me until you said Sense. My two encounters with Sense have been terrible, this phone and the HD2, and much prefer plain vanilla Android like my G1 and G2 had.

I figured that would be the first replying comment.

Analog clocks on a smartphone just look terrible. And no other flip-clock weather widget looks as good. Every other imitator including Beautiful Widgets and HD Widgets are ugly or too small in comparison. Even if you cut out everything else, the flip-clock weather widget sells Sense.

Etrick

Oct 16, 2010
Indiana
plus.google.com
I figured that would be the first replying comment.

Analog clocks on a smartphone just look terrible. And no other flip-clock weather widget looks as good. Every other imitator including Beautiful Widgets and HD Widgets are ugly or too small in comparison. Even if you cut out everything else, the flip-clock weather widget sells Sense.

Yeah they aren't selling to peoplelike us, they're selling to the average consumer. The epic was a really great keyboard phone. Hell I want a note slider. I almost got the asus transformer slider when I got my prime.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Unrelashade

Sep 7, 2009
Hehe listening to all your dream devices...

Maybe soon the day will come when we will be putting our parts together for our Smartphones like we do now for our PCs :)

BTW maybe there will be QWERTY Tizen devices in the future. Hopefully, they'd also be less locked down than some Android devices, since Tizen is said to be more GPL than Android and is also backed by the Linux Foundation.

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
Hehe listening to all your dream devices...

Maybe soon the day will come when we will be putting our parts together for our Smartphones like we do now for our PCs :)

It may come true faster than we think :)
Just few years back when I had my first iPAQ I dreamed of 1GHz single core with 256MB RAM and I was told "it ain't gonna probably until you retire" lol :rolleyes:

My wishlist as of 2012:
  • CPU (x64 architecture - enough of this ARM crap) with as many cores as possible ;)
  • RAM as much as possible ;)
  • internal memory (storage) at least 1TB
  • 4''-4.5'' screen with no "overhead" around it (I like larger screens too, but anything bigger than that just won't fit in the regular size pockets)
  • slide-out QWERTY 4-row (or 3 rows if it is not full width of the phone's body, basically the keys have to be good size and spacing)
  • standard SDXC side slot
  • micro SDXC internal slot
  • at least 2 x USB3.0 ports (pref. mini since it isn't much bigger than micro yet more cumbersome)
  • any and all existing/possible radio bands
  • front camera a MUST (for videocalls)
  • if it has to have secondary camera (the one on the back, aka "primary" as they are called) it better have good retractable lens with at least 5 optical elements to truly replace our "home snapshooters" instead of dumb tiny-lens/tiny-sensor but 10000 megapixel crap; or none back camera at all
  • hdtv tuner (or HDTV/4K TV tuner?)
  • SW/MW/LW/FM radio tuner (if you are camping often you would appreciate having full spectrum of AM too)
  • built-in FM transmitter
  • separate white LED for flashlight with dedicated hardware button
  • dual headphone plugs
and that's just from the top of my head :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    'sigh' even though I'm sick to the point of being bed bound, I still researched this for you. Do your home work before posting. Also, I know the difference between gsm and cdma. After over 400 posts on this site, it's remarkable how little credit you give me. But back to the point, there are cdma phones out there that have Sim slots, also known as world phones. It does depend on the hardware however. So a Sim slot =/= unlocked for domestic gsm use. Actually it never means that, because I've never come across a world phone that's already unlocked for domestic gsm. Usually you have to flash a new baseband to enable the radio to work properly (assuming the radio has the capability to run on your bands).

The thread is brewing as we speak. Maybe you guys would like to stir the pot

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25127887

Fight the man!

Oh , im sorry yea I saw that when I looked back it was just a EOL for the sidekick 4g .

Yea if they made a updated sidekick atleast 1.2 duallie , 8mp cam 1080 , Super amoled? gorilla glass? TV out ? oh man id be all over that bad boy

Look at the specs on this beast
    http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_d_quad_xl-4569.php not a qwerty though
    1.5 ghz quad core , TV OUT 8gb rom , 1gb ram

We'll find out soon enough. They're doing some new myTouches (including a low-end QWERTY, IIRC).

Well, I have a Droid 4 for work and I don't really like it so much. The keyboard is nice but it's ridiculously loud. The device itself is way too big. You're asking for a 4.3+ screen size and I'll say you're crazy. Why not just hold a tablet up to your face and make a phone call?

By the way, do you have a link to the bit about Google patenting a new slider tech? I am interested to know more about that, as it would be music to my ears!

Edit: found it.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/05/01/google-patent-application-hints-at-nexus-slider/