[Guide] Root, unroot your HTC Desire + Mirrors - Via Modaco

Search This thread

pympster

Dec 3, 2009
London
Before reading any further:
Carry out at your own risk. It is unlikely but it is possible to brick your phone.

Please use the official mirrors before using the Rapidshare ones. These are on the modaco thread found here

I didn't make these instructions, I have only displayed in full the original version (not the most up to date) as it is easier for those who already have a mac or a linux machine running!

This WILL remove any branded ROM, i.e no orange/tmobile logo when you boot :D. This might be great for some but just to warn anyone who wants to keep it!

R4 Instructions
Guide here

Rapidshare Mirrors
If you have a bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below -
if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below -

R3 Instructions
Rapidshare Mirror
Part 1
Part 2

R1 - Original Guide does not require live cd
R1 is the original version and might be easier for some of you
Downloads

To be ready for the guide, download the following items...
Rapidshare as Modaco links no longer work! (please post any other mirrors)

1. the 'rooted update' & the 'push files' - Download
  2. the 'test ruu' - Download
  3. Push files single download here

Do not unzip the rootedupdate.zip!

Once you have those on your machine, you're ready to start!

The guide

Follow through these steps, one by one and at the end of it you'll have a rooted Desire with the latest ROM.

Note: This process will wipe your device and there is currently no option to backup your device ROM before you start.

• Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!)
  • Copy the 'rooted update' you downloaded above to the root of your SD card, before replacing it into your device.
  • Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box.
  • Connect the phone to your computer, then run the 'test ruu' that you downloaded above (it may take a short while to start). Let the update complete and turn your device off as soon as it reaches the configuration wizard. If you need USB drivers, you can find them as part of the HTC Sync install.
  • Your device should now be off. Unplug the device from your computer. Turn it on again while holding down the 'volume down' button this time. The screen will look similar to before, but will say 'HBOOT' instead of 'FASTBOOT'. Use the volume buttons and the power button to select the 'RECOVERY' option. You should then see a screen with a red triangle - at this point, plug it into your Linux or OSX computer.
  • Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.
  • In the recovery image (moving around using the optical trackball), select 'Wipe -> Wipe data /factory reset' then 'Flash zip from sdcard' and choose the rooted update. Confirm with the trackball and the update process will begin. It'll take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea.
  • When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

Optional updates
Optional update zips

Apply this updates after rooting by copying to sdcard any applying from the recovery image (entered using the recovery-xxx.sh method).

A2SD - Mirror unavailable

32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update (from Asia 1.19.707.6 update) - Mirror unavailable

Credits
Paul at Modaco
His instructions here

Want to UNroot your phone?
Guide on modaco on how to do that too, here

Last edited:

mph130

Apr 29, 2010
rom downloads for htc desire root

Can someone tell me how i can get the downloads to perform the root process on my htc desire
cheers

mph130

Apr 29, 2010
downloads

I click on them and it just takes me to a web page forum with no downloads - also do i need a linux pc as only have windows 7 pc

mph130

Apr 29, 2010
download link

I dont know if missing something but it just loads web page modaco dot com and thats it!

mph130

Apr 29, 2010
must be something wrong as even when i do that it ends up going to modaco home page again as if redirecting - is there another way i can get the 3 downloads to perform root ie email etc

pympster

Dec 3, 2009
London
Sure thing Paul. Is it ok to leave the original version up? Those with linux/OS X machines (such as myself) will find it easier to do it this way :)

neoKushan

Nov 7, 2008
Warrington
So what happens when you root the phone? I mean, will I lose any data since files are being flashed? Is it possible to recover said data and keep root access (if data is erased, that is).

pympster

Dec 3, 2009
London
Re: [Guide] Root your HTC Desire - Via Modaco

So what happens when you root the phone? I mean, will I lose any data since files are being flashed? Is it possible to recover said data and keep root access (if data is erased, that is).
you can make a back up of your data. what data are you worried about losing?

Sent from my HTC Desire using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk