So..my nexus 7 won't turn on..

Search This thread

seahorsepip

Jan 22, 2012
I always have to hold my power button of my nexus 7 for about 10sec to get it turned on but I thought this was normal?

ppp38

Jul 16, 2012
Well my N7 screen doesnt turn on, I have held the power button for 30+ seconds to see it would reboot in addition to trying a factory reset. I spoke with Google and they are sending me a replacement. Im not sure what happened to it.

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Thanks to the OP for this thread.

I got my N7 for Xmas. It's been absolutely perfect. I charged it up, when to have dinner, came back to check email, and...yup,.. "dead" N7. I held down the power button, but not really for 20 seconds - I was too impatient and frustrated. So it really appeared to be a lost cause. I plugged power into it and tried again. Nothing.

Then I held down the power button a little longer and BAM, a "live" N7.

I came to this forum to see if anyone else had an N7 turn off by itself and I found this thread. Happy to see that this is not indicative of any terminal issue. It's similar to the SOD us GNex'ers get on certain ROM's.

How often does this happen to you folks?

DarkredD14

Jun 19, 2012
Well sadly I am having this issue as well. Mine started after I flashed ParanoidAndroid 2.99 Beta 9.5 (i believe its 9 but i know its .5). The tablet was working fine even restarted a few times to make sure it everything was fine. Later I dropped it on the floor but the drop was not very high up maybe 2 -3 feet and it landed on carpet set it down but did not check the tablet. Later I tried to start it no go did the hold power for 30 seconds (unplugged and plugged) also tried applying both the volume up and down separately and together. When I plug it in the back light appears to work and if I hold the power button after about 30 seconds I can tiny white flashes in certain areas of the screen seems like its dead :(. So is my warranty voided and am I screwed? The tablets only maybe two to three weeks old.

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Wow thanks so much. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

HeyDarkred,
I don't need it now, but did you locate good instructions on how to open the N7? If I ever have my N7 conk-out on me again, I'll want to check the battery connection.

Thanks! And great to hear that you have resolved your issue.

DarkredD14

Jun 19, 2012
HeyDarkred,
I don't need it now, but did you locate good instructions on how to open the N7? If I ever have my N7 conk-out on me again, I'll want to check the battery connection.

Thanks! And great to hear that you have resolved your issue.

Yes I did.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623/
I did not have the tools they used. Instead I just used a razor blade to open mine and did not scratch it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Make sure you use some clear scotch tape across the internal connector to keep it tight. Also a piece across the battery to the side near the connector to prevent the battery from shifting around. Make sure you street clear of the copper tape. Glad I could help :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Well, just had an interesting development. Maybe it will result in having to crack open the back and re-seating the battery connector - or maybe not.

I was just using my N7 this AM, knowing that the charge was getting on the low side, like 30%. At 23% my N7 went dead and would not turn on. When I supplied power to it, the screen cycled between displaying very slight static, and then going black. Holding the button down did not matter for the first 2 tries. The 3rd try started up just fine. But I wanted to troubleshoot some more...

So I let it go up to 24% and then I disconnected it from power. Without moving it whatsoever, my N7 went dead at 23% a second time. Since my N7 was not touched/moved during this brief time, I believe this dismisses the loose battery connector idea.

I reconnected power and sure enough, it did not respond to holding down the power button for 30 seconds until the third try. Here's what I think...

- I probably don't have a loose battery connector, given the N7 turning off at a specific power level, without being touched/moved.
- The power circuit/program needs to calibrate itself. The battery appears to be running out of power while the N7 thinks there's still 23% left
- When an N7 turns itself off, it may need up to a minute or so before it wants to respond to the extended power button press - mine did not respond the first or second time - only the 3rd time.
- I'll leave it plugged in well past the 100% charge level today, and I'll run it down to zero and watch the power level that the N7 reports. This may take a few cycles to calibrate.

I welcome your ideas - so give me a shout.

I am sharing my experience here, and will post back in the event what I discover might help other N7 owners.

Last edited:

geoffb37

Dec 7, 2012
N7 not powering up

Hello all
after breaking the screen and enough know how i sourced a spare digitizer.
it had been sat for about 5 weeks awaiting a cheaper spare so the battery must have drained itself..
I changed out the digitizer and all looked well.
Plugged in USB charger and i get the animation for around 5 secs saying charging but it won't switch on.
I have tried all the power/hold/ volume buttons for up to a minute and still nothing?
Please help.
Apologies if it been asked a thousand times.
Anyone had this issue? the not wanting to power issue after the already posted problems>?

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
I am in the process of troubleshooting this issue. I've researched many threads on different forums that have reported "fixes". Most of these "fixes" are anecdotal and are not likely to work for the majority of us. This issue also appears to possibly be multiple, closely-related but distinct issues:
- N7 turns off randomly
- N7 turns off when the battery is low
- N7 won't turn on

This further complicates the landscape.

Since troubleshooting this issue involves running through full battery cycles, it's not something that can be completed in an hour or two. If I can come up with a reliable/repeatable "fix", or at least, helpful info that I learned along the way, I'll probably start a new thread instead of posting under just one of these issues.

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
I am in the process of troubleshooting this issue. I've researched many threads on different forums that have reported "fixes". Most of these "fixes" are anecdotal and are not likely to work for the majority of us. This issue also appears to possibly be multiple, closely-related but distinct issues:
- N7 turns off randomly
- N7 turns off when the battery is low
- N7 won't turn on

This further complicates the landscape.

Since troubleshooting this issue involves running through full battery cycles, it's not something that can be completed in an hour or two. If I can come up with a reliable/repeatable "fix", or at least, helpful info that I learned along the way, I'll probably start a new thread instead of posting under just one of these issues.

Billy...just take something thin and plastic to slowly pop the back off. It will save you a lot of time wondering to checking. If you are careful you wont hurt a thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
thanks for the info. Already done. It was easy to do and I was able to resolve my issues with my Nexus 7. See my post just above yours.

liamwli

Jan 31, 2011
Ilford, London
Your not the only one facing this issue ;)

All the last times I tried to turn it on, just pressing the button did it... Was super scared just now!

JOANL

Feb 24, 2013
Just the post I needed. Thanks

Try holding down vol up & down buttons and then the power button. Then you should be in the reboot/recovery menu. It should say start. Push power button to power up. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

So glad I found this post. Saved me from taking my Nexus in to get it looked at. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try holding down the power button for 10-20 seconds.
    If that doesn't work, try leaving it plugged in for a couple hours and check back on it.
    Also try plugging it into the computer and seeing if your screen has gone bad, the Nexus 7 should still come up if it's on.
    Recently updated my n7 to 4.2, haven't done anything beyond rooting. I woke up this morning, watched an episode of Prison Break via Netflix and went to work. I always plug it in before I leave, and it was saying it was charging before I left.
    I get home from work today, and upon trying to unlock the device, it doesn't turn on. I unplugged it, checked the plug in it was using, even tried multiple different electrical sockets. Plugging it in usually brings up the off charging animation, but nothing. Anyone know what might be going on?

My sincerest apologies if this has been asked/questioned before; I did a little searching before I posted this and couldn't find anything about it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    ...I really can't believe I made a post for this..rofl. Thanks a lot, I guess I'm just a little too impatient to hold the power down longer than five seconds.
    If mods wanna delete, feel free.

...I really can't believe I made a post for this..rofl. Thanks a lot, I guess I'm just a little too impatient to hold the power down longer than five seconds.
    If mods wanna delete, feel free.

Don't know if it's any consolation but I did exactly the same thing this morning :rolleyes::)
    Don't know if it's any consolation but I did exactly the same thing this morning :rolleyes::)

Feels good knowing someone's as paranoid as I am :D