[Q] settings for faster gps A gps rules

Search This thread

boondiordna

Jan 23, 2014
Folks,

This might amuse you, but I'm learning. Still. As always. While my GPS is already working quite fast most of the time, I still think I did not figure out how to use cell broadcast for location. I'm not sure, though. Hope someone here may be able to look into that. FasterGPS is my point of interest atm. It sets an ntp server - so far, so good. I just had a look at the advanced settings: nothing set there. This bugs me. I found several threads on XDA dev posting various settings, but also this on rootzwiki telling us, quite convincingly, why most of the settings found on the web (and on XDA) are crap: http : / / rootzwiki .com/topic/28989-the-end-all-be-all-guide-to-your-gps/ (kick out the blanks, I assume I can't post links, yet).

I already mentioned (here: http:// forum.xda-developers .com/showthread.php?t=2643201 ) that WiFi location is not workin' on my device. Now, I found the key ENABLE_WIPER is not set. I also can see that SUPL_HOST is not set, which seems to be the cell broadcast providing server. Now, has anybody else checked that sub-menu and has some opinion on that? I'm quite willing to copyedit it into the wiki for the greater good of everybody, but I need some more experienced guys here.

I will just play with the settings now, hoping that I don't cause any harm. (Yay, fasterGPS has created a backup...) Some Q I would like to see answered:

1) SUPL_HOST is for cell broadcast location, and also including WiFi SSID location, right?

2) Does cell (not: wifi) broadcast triangulation work if you have only wifi data connection?

3) Is there some auto-updating list of geolocation servers somewhere? Including ports and cert location for DL? I'd like to have a choice beyond Nokia and Google, and _definetly_ a server using TLS/SSL. Hell, this is GEOLOCATION! I don't want to scream it openly at the whole of the interwebz. Why are there even servers WITHOUT TLS/SSL? (Really sorry to ask, me searchengine-fu is so b0rken, I haz founds none listz... ^_^ )

4) Just to clarify: we can use any provider for SUPL AGPS, right? That is to say, neither use our 'native' providers NOR supl.google.com or supl.nokia.com? Say you're on Telefonica (Germany: O2, mostly 1800 mHz), would it be possible to use use network cell broadcasts even on another GSM baseband frequency (like Telekom, mostly 900 mHz)? (Think also the the other way round, since 1800 mHz (if available) has the advantage of having smaller cells.) To specify: would our FP check these frequencies if onyl one SIM module is active/installed, using the 'other' frequencies?

Hope to hear all of your 2cts!

boondiordna

Jan 23, 2014
Quoting myself. Answering myself. Meh.
Could it be that the initial boost of interest is ebbing?
And that everyone (except some people complaining in the fairphone.com forum) are already happy with their phone?

I already mentioned (here: http:// forum.xda-developers .com/showthread.php?t=2643201 ) that WiFi location is not workin' on my device.

FTR: It works now. Oeffi (which is otherwise quite unstable and basically every other time I load a new network map) can now access my position. OSM~And is working great even without GPS, just using SSID triangulations.

1) SUPL_HOST is for cell broadcast location, and also including WiFi SSID location, right?
2) Does cell (not: wifi) broadcast triangulation work if you have only wifi data connection?

It's definitely using WiFi SSID to locate the position. I haven't tried it yet (with cell data connection) in an are where there are no WiFi SSIDs.

3) Is there some auto-updating list of geolocation servers somewhere?

Using Nokia's server right now:
Supl_HOST: subl.nokia.com
SUPL_SECURE_PORT=7275
(No other settings set - I assume to be using TLS only at the moment. Works great.)

I wonder if I should add this steps to the wiki.
If nobody objects here, I will.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quoting myself. Answering myself. Meh.
    Could it be that the initial boost of interest is ebbing?
    And that everyone (except some people complaining in the fairphone.com forum) are already happy with their phone?

I already mentioned (here: http:// forum.xda-developers .com/showthread.php?t=2643201 ) that WiFi location is not workin' on my device.

FTR: It works now. Oeffi (which is otherwise quite unstable and basically every other time I load a new network map) can now access my position. OSM~And is working great even without GPS, just using SSID triangulations.

It's definitely using WiFi SSID to locate the position. I haven't tried it yet (with cell data connection) in an are where there are no WiFi SSIDs.

3) Is there some auto-updating list of geolocation servers somewhere?

Using Nokia's server right now:
    Supl_HOST: subl.nokia.com
    SUPL_SECURE_PORT=7275
    (No other settings set - I assume to be using TLS only at the moment. Works great.)

I wonder if I should add this steps to the wiki.
    If nobody objects here, I will.