[Q] Very slow camera launch?

Search This thread

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
Most of the time when I open the camera I have a 2-4 second wait for the app to open, anyone else? It does open but takes forever. If I have used it recently, within 10-15 minutes it is pretty snappy, 1-2 seconds at most.
I did install the google camera app but the problem predates that. It opens faster, but focuses slower so in usage it isn't any better.
At any given moment I may need 3-5 seconds to take a pic with either app. Certainly a 1st world problem but a nuisance when I want a spontaneous pic.

Anyone heard of this as precursor to the failed camera problem?

F-energy

Jan 29, 2013
Most of the time when I open the camera I have a 2-4 second wait for the app to open, anyone else? It does open but takes forever. If I have used it recently, within 10-15 minutes it is pretty snappy, 1-2 seconds at most.
I did install the google camera app but the problem predates that. It opens faster, but focuses slower so in usage it isn't any better.
At any given moment I may need 3-5 seconds to take a pic with either app. Certainly a 1st world problem but a nuisance when I want a spontaneous pic.

Anyone heard of this as precursor to the failed camera problem?

My gf has exactly the same problem. I'm gonna try the following steps:

• You might find that a simple restart does the trick. Hold down the Power button and select the Restart option. The problem may return.
  • Try going to Settings > Application manager and select the camera app. Tap on Force stop, Clear cache, and Clear data.
  • Try clearing the cache partition. Hold the power button and choose Power off then press and hold the Volume up key, the Home button, and the Power button. When the phone vibrates, release the Power button, but keep holding the other two. When you see the Android System Recovery screen you can let go. Use Volume down to choose wipe cache partition and press Power to select it then, when it’s done, press Power again to Reboot System Now.
  • There’s a chance that an app is causing the problem. Any app that uses camera functions, including flashlight apps, could be the culprit. The fast way to check this is to reboot in safe mode. Hold down the power button and select Power off then hold down the power button to turn it on again and when you see the Samsung screen come up, release the power button and press and hold the Volume down key. You’ll know it worked if it says Safe mode in the bottom left corner. If the camera works then it’s definitely a problem with an app you installed. Hold down the power button and choose Restart to get back out of Safe mode.
  • If you’re using a microSD card to save photos try removing it, save them elsewhere, and see if that makes a difference.
  • Back up anything important and try a factory reset via Settings > Backup and reset > Factory data reset.

Have you solved the problem yet?

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
My gf has exactly the same problem. I'm gonna try the following steps:

• You might find that a simple restart does the trick. Hold down the Power button and select the Restart option. The problem may return.
  • Try going to Settings > Application manager and select the camera app. Tap on Force stop, Clear cache, and Clear data.
  • Try clearing the cache partition. Hold the power button and choose Power off then press and hold the Volume up key, the Home button, and the Power button. When the phone vibrates, release the Power button, but keep holding the other two. When you see the Android System Recovery screen you can let go. Use Volume down to choose wipe cache partition and press Power to select it then, when it’s done, press Power again to Reboot System Now.
  • There’s a chance that an app is causing the problem. Any app that uses camera functions, including flashlight apps, could be the culprit. The fast way to check this is to reboot in safe mode. Hold down the power button and select Power off then hold down the power button to turn it on again and when you see the Samsung screen come up, release the power button and press and hold the Volume down key. You’ll know it worked if it says Safe mode in the bottom left corner. If the camera works then it’s definitely a problem with an app you installed. Hold down the power button and choose Restart to get back out of Safe mode.
  • If you’re using a microSD card to save photos try removing it, save them elsewhere, and see if that makes a difference.
  • Back up anything important and try a factory reset via Settings > Backup and reset > Factory data reset.

Have you solved the problem yet?

I did clear the cache and I switched to internal storage. Also I uninstalled Google' camera app, which I thought would be neat but never used after 1st launch; it seems a little faster but I'll have to use it a few days to see. It may be my SD, as it is pretty old.
Safe Mode didn't effect any change.

I'd never tried to enter recovery on this phone and inadvertently entered Download mode instead. I blame my overly large fingers for it. Gave myself a moment of concern as I only see DL mode when I first root a device, almost 2 years ago for my last phone. I'd forgotten that the "DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET" warning didn't mean much without Odin running.

If this isn't an indicator of a upcoming camera issue I'm not too worried about the lag, if it fails it has a warranty....

It may or may not be related to this...

http://www.informationweek.com/mobi...mera-problem-samsung-eats-crow/d/d-id/1234898

If it continues, exchange it for another S5.

Yeah.. I mentioned that in OP. That problem usually presents as a "Camera has failed" message according to articles, there is no reference to any symptoms prior to failure.

Last edited:

Kael ruch

Feb 5, 2014
Dhaka
Try going to Settings > Application manager and select the camera app. Tap on Force stop, Clear cache, and Clear data.

lathamc

Jun 29, 2012
I've also started to run into this issue. The camera will take several seconds to load, then freeze for a second or two. This happens after I haven't used the camera for a while. The gallery, however, always takes several seconds to load when launched from the camera. Both of these still happen whether the camera is set to store on internal memory or my microSD card.

Are there any solutions that anyone has found?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

colts187

Jan 3, 2012
Little Rock
If I have the image stabilization turned on it makes my camera crawl too. Turning it off seemed to help, at least some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
This has really begun to annoy me, as the weather turns nicer here I find that I am using the cam more frequently and the delay is aggravating.
Clearing cache helps a little, and turning off Image Stabilization seems to have helped also. Still a few seconds longer than I like but better. This thing should open a major built-in app faster than it does, I think it did at first.

I may do a factory reset and see if that helps, if not I may seek an exchange from AT&T or Samsung...

Drew