Nexus S (GSM) android 4.0.4 Official update (with download links !!)

Search This thread

m.sabra

Sep 3, 2011
Beirut
Yes here it is the nexus s official android 4.0.4 from google :)
this needs to be flashed over the stock 4.0.3 official rom from google it's a 17.8 mb update not a full rom so you can only flash it over stock 4.0.3 i repeat only over stock or else it will fail.
i managed to get the download link from google servers here it is http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo/hR7QFEtn.zip as you can see an official google link.
so far i noticed that the recovery is fixed (no longer disappear on i9023 devices)
and battery problems solved too.

ONLY FLASHABLE VIA CWM
the reason is here:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24198556

Last edited:

bjornvil

Feb 10, 2012
Reykjavík
Is it worth going back to stock 4.0.3 and update to 4.0.4?

I am rooted running Codename Android 1.5.5 and Air Kernel 3.7. Pretty happy with that set up. Very smooth and stable and decent battery life (20+ hrs).

I love the tweaks and mods included in CNA. Is it worth it not having them?

m.sabra

Sep 3, 2011
Beirut
Is it worth going back to stock 4.0.3 and update to 4.0.4?

I am rooted running Codename Android 1.5.5 and Air Kernel 3.7. Pretty happy with that set up. Very smooth and stable and decent battery life (20+ hrs).

I love the tweaks and mods included in CNA. Is it worth it not having them?

Hmm of course it does not have the tweak of custom roms,but if you want a stock experience this is way better than 4.0.3 lots of issue fixed,it's smoother now and battery issues all gone plus the recovery now works again on i9023 devices.

Reactions: bluedriver

m.sabra

Sep 3, 2011
Beirut
guys how i should istall it on my nexus s i9023 if i can't use my recovery? mmm i have 4.0.3 stock

is your bootloader unlocked ?
if it's unlocked use fastboot to boot clockworkmod recovery and flash from there.

Getting a Status 7 error trying to apply this update to a stock unrooted GSM Nexus S. Hmm...

you must be completely stock,no stock kernel or modified system apps or files,you can try flashing the 4.0.3 rom,even if you are unrooted with a modified stock system it will not work.

tycruickshank

Dec 28, 2011
Irvine
Same here.
I've done data/factory reset + wipe cache partition,
full install (IML74K) 4.0.3 (on wich I was already running),
data/factory reset + wipe cache partition,
full install 4.0.4 using the provided link...

> error 7

I'm pretty sure that this is only an incremental upgrade and not a full rom so its not going to work if you wipe everything. Its under 20 megs so

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

C

csrxds

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569061
I'm pretty sure that this is only an incremental upgrade and not a full rom so its not going to work if you wipe everything. Its under 20 megs so

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I only wiped user datas, not system.
I've been trying to apply it without any wipe before with the same result.
I will maybe try to go back to 2.3.6 then apply only the 4.0.3 update from 2.3.6 (not the full package) and then the package provided but I have to go back home to unlock the phone and load cwm reocvery to revert back to 2.3.6.
OP can you tell us if you came from full 4.0.3 update on only the update from 2.3.6, if you got the update over the air or if you flashed it manualy and also if you are using stock recovery.
Thank you

EDIT : [Q] GSM Nexus S ICS 4.0.4 OTA update released? OP has also Status Error 7 and is trying what I was up to do...
EDIT 2 : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24145247#post24145247 It seems to be the trick, can't wait to go back home...

Last edited:

m.sabra

Sep 3, 2011
Beirut
how does one with a 9020a do this? I dont have a stock 4.0.3. Any ideas??

sorry this is the official update that only works on I9020T and I9023 (the devices who got 4.0.3 earlier, you should wait for the full release)

no, damn it....other solution?

you can access the stock recovery,it's just the backlight is very low so blind clicks are still possible,in direct sunlight at some angle you can see the menus (press power + vol up inside recovery for the menus to appear)

Last edited:

boostern

May 22, 2010
I'm having the error Status 7 too.
It seems that the complete rom package 4.0.3 is a little different than upgrading from 2.3.6 to 4.0.3. Now I'm downloading the 2.3.6 complete rom and upgrading from this.

m.sabra

Sep 3, 2011
Beirut
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569061

I only wiped user datas, not system.
I've been trying to apply it without any wipe before with the same result.
I will maybe try to go back to 2.3.6 then apply only the 4.0.3 update from 2.3.6 (not the full package) and then the package provided but I have to go back home to unlock the phone and load cwm reocvery to revert back to 2.3.6.
OP can you tell us if you came from full 4.0.3 update on only the update from 2.3.6, if you got the update over the air or if you flashed it manualy and also if you are using stock recovery.
Thank you

EDIT : [Q] GSM Nexus S ICS 4.0.4 OTA update released? OP has also Status Error 7 and is trying what I was up to do...

okay i was coming from the 2.3.6 update package only,completely stock and unrooted,i flashed using cwm since my recovery is broken (am on i9023) and the device passed current system verification successfully.

C

csrxds

okay i was coming from the 2.3.6 update package only,completely stock and unrooted,i flashed using cwm since my recovery is broken (am on i9023) and the device passed current system verification successfully.

Okay. Thanks!
Now we just have to see if coming from 2.3.6 and only using small update packages is the trick or if it's using cmw recovery that makes the update process working.
I'll try with stock recovery and A BIG TORCHLIGHT coming from 2.3.6 to find it out.

madd0g

May 8, 2010
IMHO, I'd wait for source release of 4.0.5 (or 4.0.4), whatever is first.

Last edited:

caliban2

Mar 9, 2009
what worked for me:

- full wipe (that means everything except sd-card)
- install 4.0.3 full-rom
- install 4.0.4 ota

since my bootloader is unlocked, i deleted the recovery-dir from both zips before flashing (i prefer cwm).

Reactions: antineocon

mkoch820

Sep 24, 2010
I've flashed the 4.0.3 OTA, after that this update too. Flashed superuser, currently restoring my apps with titanium, but no trouble so far. Data, wifi working, no FCs, report back later. (oh, and i have i9023)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes here it is the nexus s official android 4.0.4 from google :)
    this needs to be flashed over the stock 4.0.3 official rom from google it's a 17.8 mb update not a full rom so you can only flash it over stock 4.0.3 i repeat only over stock or else it will fail.
    i managed to get the download link from google servers here it is http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo/hR7QFEtn.zip as you can see an official google link.
    so far i noticed that the recovery is fixed (no longer disappear on i9023 devices)
    and battery problems solved too.

ONLY FLASHABLE VIA CWM
    the reason is here:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24198556
    Solution (well maybe...)

So.. from what I read in this thread I derive some more or less useful observations:
    It works and fails on slightly modified roms.
    It works and fails on unmodified roms.
    It tends to fail more often with the stock recovery.

Here is my story: 9023, cwm5023, manually flashed 4.0.3 in december, rooted, rom slightly modified (hosts file, some extra ogg files in the notifications dir, root, rootkeeper, and deleted recovery-overwrite-script).

What I did: put the file from the first post in /sdcard/, reboot, recovery, apply update.zip, first the 404, then root (just to be sure), fix permissions (don't know if necessary), reboot, got 404.

But the reports of failed updates made me curios.

(at this point this analysis may get a little bit above the level of understanding of a regular Joe android user)

So, I had a look at the source.
    (extract the zip, searched for something that looks like an update script)
    got this one:
    Code:
    /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

And right here at the end of this little code block in line 652:
    Code:
    assert(apply_patch_check("/system/vendor/lib/libwvm.so", "6f03d4b266d99f2e79a617786d4ba4981a2bc4e5", "aa466817fc702b7764ac442452aea2c4593503e3"));
    set_progress(0.983189);
    assert(apply_patch_check("MTD:boot:3526656:40d819a22242be448d36e61b1ad42501e88838cb:3526656:877503a77928e449c8bff451ea7a3e783a4b607f"));
    set_progress(1.000000);
    assert(apply_patch_space(15916988));

Here is the feared apply_patch_space call.
    Still no real clue what it does.

So, I googled and found:
    http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/introdution_to_edify

The interesting part:
    Function Name: apply_patch_space

Function Syntax: apply_patch_space(bytes)

Parameter Details: bytes = number of bytes to check for

Action: Checks the cache to verify that there is enough space to write the patched files to it and returns something. Need to test this function to verify.

Ok.. so, the problem is not a modified file (files are checked too, you can see which ones by reading the script) but more a lack of free space on a 'cache' (who's location is yet to be determined).

So, thats about 15MB of free space required.
    Looking at /cache with root explorer: 466MB free

Found a lead to the source files here:
    http://tjworld.net/wiki/Android/UpdaterScriptEdifyFunctions

Again, use the source Luke!

I had the android source lying around somewhere from the time I wrote this (completely unrelated) post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20017514#post20017514

I had to jump through quite a bunch of C-source files (I'll spare you the story) until i got the answer:
    Code:
    size_t free_now = FreeSpaceForFile("/cache");
    So, it really is /cache
    There may be many reasons why this fails:
    • There is not enough space left on /cache (obvious)
    • /cache is not mounted but it should be (it failed to mount somehow? maybe a prior wipe or backup unmounted it?)
    • It is mounted read only and it should be mounted rw.

To be sure, I had a quick look at the situation right after the device enters the (cwm) recovery:
    Code:
    ~ # mount
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
    /dev/block/mtdblock4 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)
    ~ #

if you are there, you can check the free space with the df command:
    Code:
    ~ # df
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs                   176532        32    176500   0% /dev
    /dev/block/mtdblock4    480768      2588    478180   1% /cache
    ~ #

The expected situation right before the update should be:
    /cache is mounted read/write and has plenty of free space.
    (note: df displays capacities in numbers of 1k blocks)

I have no idea what all you guys did before the update, but this may help if you have this 'apply_patch_space' error:
    • Ensure a working 4.0.3 is on the device.
    • After entering the recovery, immediately apply the update.
    • If you have the urge to backup, wipe, whatever, do it and then reboot once more for the update to ensure all effects of that actions on the /cache are gone.

Again: I have no idea if this solves your case, but it is my best guess and I think it has a good chance of success.
    guys can you post instruction on how to do it blind using 4.0.3 stock and not rooted.

THanks.
    I do believe I've got to the bottom of the Error 7 and there doesn't appear to be a damn thing we can do about it. It appears as though Google has made it so that we can't flash OTA updates manually in stock recovery anymore.

The guys over on the Xoom thread were having the exact same problem with the Xoom WiFi 4.0.4 OTA. Same package.zip error status 7. My friend with a WiFi Xoom got an OTA update on his, so I told him not to install it. Instead we downloaded the OTA update manually and attempted to flash it through stock recovery. It errored out with the package.zip error status 7. So I had him reboot the tablet, go into the OTA software and tap "reboot and install". It flashed without problem.

I have a feeling this will be the exact same thing with the Nexus S. So it looks like we all either wait for the OTA popup on our phones, or we have to unlock our bootloaders, install either a stock Gingerbread or ClockworkMod recovery, then flash the OTA manually.
    Thats the error I'm getting. It then comes up:

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

I've tried to find that file in the 4.0.4 update and the full 4.0.3 update but cant find it

I tried outputting the contents of /cache/recovery/log-* and it appears that the /cache partition is full or not mounted (0 bytes free). The stock recovery even tried to delete old files, but failed. My guesses are:
    1) bug in stock recovery (not mounting /cache correctly). It's strange though that after rebooting the logs are correctly placed in /cache/recovery/log-*
    2) bug on the 4.0.4 update (or incompability with the ROM)

The update successfully completes the validation/checksum verification phase. It's also possible that Google added some kind of verification to prevent people from downloading the ROM without before getting a notification.