[APP] [Version 2] Holo-Themed Mms.apk for CM10

Search This thread

gridlock489

Jul 17, 2012
Sacramento
Updated to version 2! New texts have a blue highlight as well as the bold contact name, and the keyboard now properly shows up when the Quickmessage popup appears.

Hey everyone! I was fed up with the white screens of the default messaging app burning my retinas, especially when reading late night texts. I wondered, "Why can't it just look like any other Holo app?!", and then I decided to theme it myself. All of the white is gone, replaced by the gradient found in other Holo apps (such as Settings). White text on a dark background is much easier on the eyes, especially in dark environments. I chose not to put blue on everything like in the Inverted versions. There's nothing special about this theme, and that's the point ;)

I only use this on CM10 (which has the Quickmessaging popup and expanding notifications), and I have no idea if it will work on other ROMs. I assume it could work with AOKP but I don't have the time to test it. All of the changes that I made were built on the Mms.apk included in the CM10 10.0.0 build from November 13th.

If you are on CM10 and don't know how to install system apps, here's what to do:
  1. Delete the old Mms.apk in the /system/app directory using any file explorer (CM10 now has one built in that can do this)
  2. Move the new Mms.apk into /system/app
  3. Change permissions for the newly moved Mms.apk to -rw-r--r-- (To do this, long press on the file and go to "properties", then change the permissions there)
  4. Actually install the app - Just tap on it and hit "Install".
  5. Enjoy!

Version 2 Download: View attachment Mms.apk

View attachment 1514399 Conversation.jpg

Last edited:

Invalid1021

Jul 16, 2010
Same here

Sent from my One X using xda app-developers app

I had the same problem.

Once you set the permissions and have Mms.apk in /System/app, reboot (I went to recovery and wiped cache/dalvik), boot to system and Messaging should be back in your apps list.
(The shortcut on your home-screen might be gone)

Looks great, much easier on the eyes, and flows with the rest of CM.

Reactions: gridlock489

jo3holl4nd

Jun 19, 2012
Oklahoma City
Hmm.. I'm on AOKP and after getting it going, it's all black for me (no gradient background). I still have white text and give thanks because I like what you did! Keep up the good work, and let me know if you think of any fixes. Maybe i'll try out CM.

gridlock489

Jul 17, 2012
Sacramento
Hmm.. I'm on AOKP and after getting it going, it's all black for me (no gradient background). I still have white text and give thanks because I like what you did! Keep up the good work, and let me know if you think of any fixes. Maybe i'll try out CM.

The gradient in this app is pulled from your framework-res files elsewhere in the Android system. If you applied a skin/tweak that changed this separate file to a plain black color (common for inverted apps), then the leftover file could be causing the background to be black too. A restore of your ROM should fix it although I don't know if that would be worth it :p

Sent from my One XL using xda premium

new ion?

Jan 2, 2012
Victoria, BC
Hey... there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what thread has the unread message?

Other than that i love it...

one thing i noticed, it doesn't seem to have the patch that auto brings up the keyboard in the quickmessage... will you be updating at all?

Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Last edited:

gridlock489

Jul 17, 2012
Sacramento
Hey... there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what thread has the unread message?

Other than that i love it...

one thing i noticed, it doesn't seem to have the patch that auto brings up the keyboard in the quickmessage... will you be updating at all?

Thank you!

Both of these are valid, I have had a busy holiday weekend but I'll be working on an update for later this week!

Sent from my One X using xda premium

gridlock489

Jul 17, 2012
Sacramento
Actually I figured the first one out! The persons name is bolded. Which is how it is in stock cm... lol can't believe I just said that...

Right you are, but I think I can make the unread conversation show up with a blue highlight. It isn't obvious enough currently, I sometimes miss texts. Stay tuned for the next version!

Skillfulshoe

Aug 23, 2012
East Lansing
I'm using the stable build of CM10. It would always just quit installation and wouldn't say why. When I tried installing the original back, it worked just fine. So I'm not too sure what's wrong, maybe I'll try again later.

new ion?

Jan 2, 2012
Victoria, BC
I'm using the stable build of CM10. It would always just quit installation and wouldn't say why. When I tried installing the original back, it worked just fine. So I'm not too sure what's wrong, maybe I'll try again later.

Rename the old one MMS.apkbak, copy it to /system/app, fix perms to rw r r, reboot to recovery, wipe dalvik, and fix perms there. Reboot and bam. Money

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated to version 2! New texts have a blue highlight as well as the bold contact name, and the keyboard now properly shows up when the Quickmessage popup appears.

Hey everyone! I was fed up with the white screens of the default messaging app burning my retinas, especially when reading late night texts. I wondered, "Why can't it just look like any other Holo app?!", and then I decided to theme it myself. All of the white is gone, replaced by the gradient found in other Holo apps (such as Settings). White text on a dark background is much easier on the eyes, especially in dark environments. I chose not to put blue on everything like in the Inverted versions. There's nothing special about this theme, and that's the point ;)

I only use this on CM10 (which has the Quickmessaging popup and expanding notifications), and I have no idea if it will work on other ROMs. I assume it could work with AOKP but I don't have the time to test it. All of the changes that I made were built on the Mms.apk included in the CM10 10.0.0 build from November 13th.

If you are on CM10 and don't know how to install system apps, here's what to do:
    1. Delete the old Mms.apk in the /system/app directory using any file explorer (CM10 now has one built in that can do this)
    2. Move the new Mms.apk into /system/app
    3. Change permissions for the newly moved Mms.apk to -rw-r--r-- (To do this, long press on the file and go to "properties", then change the permissions there)
    4. Actually install the app - Just tap on it and hit "Install".
    5. Enjoy!

Version 2 Download: View attachment Mms.apk

View attachment 1514399 Conversation.jpg
    Version 2 Posted

Hey everyone, I just released the first revision for the app. Let me know if there is anything else that you want added. I am currently working on adding divider lines between messages when viewing a conversation, but it's a bit more complex that I had expected...

The original instructions still apply, and I haven't had any "Application not installed" errors since I built this new version. The download link and screenshots in the OP are for the new version. Try it out!
    Followed instructions but getting app not installed.

Same here

I had the same problem.

Once you set the permissions and have Mms.apk in /System/app, reboot (I went to recovery and wiped cache/dalvik), boot to system and Messaging should be back in your apps list.
    (The shortcut on your home-screen might be gone)

Looks great, much easier on the eyes, and flows with the rest of CM.
    i push it to /system/app, (renaming the other one), change perms to rw -r--r-- reboot to recovery, fix perms, wipe dalvik and cache, and then reboot and it should say 'android is upgrading' and install the apk for you.

MMS still crashes. I'm on CM10.1.

JellyB-TSM v16 / Apex Pro

qE0S4.png

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

For people who are having issues with MMS, I've tested this one by Jase and it works perfect. CM10.1/4.2.1

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1745830

JellyB-TSM v16 / Apex Pro

qE0S4.png