DPI Settings

Search This thread

cpg1987

Sep 30, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Guys, I seem to be failing at the final hurdle.

How do I set, for example, chrome to 400 dpi?

In "app settings" under chrome, I can see dpi = 0 ....if I enter "400", hit save and relaunch....nothing happens?! Chrome looks the same as before.

Help please!

You have to close out chrome before the changes will be seen! I usually just clear my open apps and this does the trick

clandestino123

Dec 20, 2010
Brisbane
You have to close out chrome before the changes will be seen! I usually just clear my open apps and this does the trick

thanks mate. The problem was actually to do with me using framework v4, which is not compatible with alpha4 (framework v5 is necessary.)

Anyway.... what I'm seeing is that whilst the dpi in the chrome menus has changed (bookmarks, address bar, etc) - in the web pages, it is unchanged?!! Facebook on chrome still looks just as tiny as before!!!

Am I doing something wrong? What do I need to change in "app settings" other than setting the dpi to 400?

cpg1987

Sep 30, 2010
Huntsville, AL
thanks mate. The problem was actually to do with me using framework v4, which is not compatible with alpha4 (framework v5 is necessary.)

Anyway.... what I'm seeing is that whilst the dpi in the chrome menus has changed (bookmarks, address bar, etc) - in the web pages, it is unchanged?!! Facebook on chrome still looks just as tiny as before!!!

Am I doing something wrong? What do I need to change in "app settings" other than setting the dpi to 400?

Are you hitting save in the top right corner after changing the dpi? Surely that's not it since your menus and address bar are changing. Other than that, I don't know what else would cause your issue. I just enter the dpi I want for that app and hit save. Then, open it and the changes are made made.

Does this happen in the stock browser as well?

Philup

Dec 30, 2015
Hello, I have this exact same problem with the SystemUI crash loop and also System Process crash loop after adjusting my DPI. My question is how did you get into recover/download mode to re-flash if the power button is unresponsive?

I saw that you let the battery die, but I'm worried the power button will still be unresponsive. I also want to make sure I have enough battery juice so that it doesn't die and brick during re-flash. Please help!

I rooted the sm-t700 with the All-In-One CF-auto-root-twrp, and then changed the resolution and pixel density with Resolution Changer.

Once I get the tablet out of UI loop/bootloop I will try the xmodule AppSettings.

Reflashing revovered the systemui loop crash.

EDIT:

If I hold the download buttons down during the bootloop, I am able to boot into download mode. However, connecting the phone USB to my computer I keep getting "USB connection failed." I also never made a nandroid img for twrp.

Last edited:

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Hello, I have this exact same problem with the SystemUI crash loop and also System Process crash loop after adjusting my DPI. My question is how did you get into recover/download mode to re-flash if the power button is unresponsive?

I saw that you let the battery die, but I'm worried the power button will still be unresponsive. I also want to make sure I have enough battery juice so that it doesn't die and brick during re-flash. Please help!

I rooted the sm-t700 with the All-In-One CF-auto-root-twrp, and then changed the resolution and pixel density with Resolution Changer.

Once I get the tablet out of UI loop/bootloop I will try the xmodule AppSettings.

EDIT:

If I hold the download buttons down during the bootloop, I am able to boot into download mode. However, connecting the phone USB to my computer I keep getting "USB connection failed." I also never made a nandroid img for twrp.

Simply changing dpi overall in TW rom will generate a boot loop. First of all it needs to be deodexed (manually or use erobot/iron/power rom)..Then use arter concurrent sdk21 v75 xposed (PRESUMING YOU ARE ON 5.0.2 latest LL stock or trying to use it)...

if you never made a nandroid you may have to just Odin flash again...but will need to charge it back just connect to charger when off let it sit there for a long time...don't keep pressing power home etc buttons in the hope of taking it to download Mode to flash if the battery has essentially discharged itself in all your attempts. I am running power rom currently where I used app settings and changed dpi individually on systemui, settings etc.

xposed framework (need to be rooted also of course, flashed through custom recovery like twrp)

xposed-v75-sdk21-arm-arter97-exynos_requestConcurrentGC.zip

from

http://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-t3113463

and the installer apk

XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk

from

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

Appsettings module from

http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.mods.appsettings

you have to install apk and module not open preferably, go to recovery install the zip then reboot come back and open apk, and check the module, then go about the process of changing dpi selectively

but before all that you need to get back to a charged (sufficiently) device, go back to download, (install samsung drivers if missing on laptop...in odin you will see the box light up to yellow indicating a connection (don't worry about driver not installed successfully message on laptop) usually like in odin 1.85 which i have used works very well for T235, T705, I527 so multiple samsung devices), then odin flash the rom, then install twrp, then root

for root use this chainfire's latest worked for T705, T235 (even though that is 5.1.1) (if twrp prompts to install SU/root..do NOT select that)

NOTE if Cf autoroot worked then just stick with that

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64161125&postcount=3

Sent from my SM-T705 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: TacoNikky

ivanox1972

Sep 26, 2011
ok I can play however I want with to adjust dpi with app settings, but is there any way to remove column organization off some apps. eg. delete line in settings messages file magaer and some other apps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bought a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE 2 days ago. Beautiful device with great screen, but:
    First thing you realize is the small font size in several apps, such as Facebook. Barely readable.
    Tried to use larger font size in settings. That did some effect on some fonts, but no consistent result.
    Same with the Big Font app - font sizes and overall appearance becomes inconsistent.
    So the only way seemed to change DPI Settings. Which required rooting.
    I did the CF autoroot thing. And fiddled with DPI settings using Texdroider app. Originally was 220 DPI. I tried 420 DPI.
    Unfortunately after reboot, I was stuck at "systemui angehalten" error message, and touch screen did not respond to input.
    Unfortunately I could not switch off the device (to reboot), pressing power button for ever gave no effect.
    Since you cannot remove the battery on this device I had to let it run down completely over night. Then booting into Recovery (or Download Mode) was possible again.
    Tried a full wipe in Recovery an rebooted. But endless systemui crash loop remained.

Will try to re-flash via Odin to get it back working.

So this thread is firstly a warning if anybody wants to change DPI settings on the Tab S.

Then some questions:

* Did anybody overcome the small fonts problem by changing DPI and which DPI setting is advisable?
    * any way to force reboot in such case?
    Just use xposed module appsetting to set the dpi for apps individually.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Just use xposed module appsetting to set the dpi for apps individually.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

AppSettings works well.. I changed the overall DPI to 240 because all the fonts were way too big for me.. I then reset certain apps back because some of the stock apps don't work right at different DPIs (camera, etc).
    Great thanks! Which rom are you using? IronRom is a deodexed touchwiz based lollipop rom so I'm hoping it will work on that...

Yes it will work on IronRom! That is the one I'm using right now with all of the xposed mods:)

EDIT:

Simply changing dpi overall in TW rom will generate a boot loop. First of all it needs to be deodexed (manually or use erobot/iron/power rom)..Then use arter concurrent sdk21 v75 xposed (PRESUMING YOU ARE ON 5.0.2 latest LL stock or trying to use it)...

if you never made a nandroid you may have to just Odin flash again...but will need to charge it back just connect to charger when off let it sit there for a long time...don't keep pressing power home etc buttons in the hope of taking it to download Mode to flash if the battery has essentially discharged itself in all your attempts. I am running power rom currently where I used app settings and changed dpi individually on systemui, settings etc.

xposed framework (need to be rooted also of course, flashed through custom recovery like twrp)

xposed-v75-sdk21-arm-arter97-exynos_requestConcurrentGC.zip

from

http://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-t3113463

and the installer apk

XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk

from

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

Appsettings module from

http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.mods.appsettings

you have to install apk and module not open preferably, go to recovery install the zip then reboot come back and open apk, and check the module, then go about the process of changing dpi selectively

but before all that you need to get back to a charged (sufficiently) device, go back to download, (install samsung drivers if missing on laptop...in odin you will see the box light up to yellow indicating a connection (don't worry about driver not installed successfully message on laptop) usually like in odin 1.85 which i have used works very well for T235, T705, I527 so multiple samsung devices), then odin flash the rom, then install twrp, then root

for root use this chainfire's latest worked for T705, T235 (even though that is 5.1.1) (if twrp prompts to install SU/root..do NOT select that)

NOTE if Cf autoroot worked then just stick with that

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64161125&postcount=3

Sent from my SM-T705 using XDA Free mobile app