Power supply death

Search This thread

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
It seems my power adaptor has died..

I have been using it daily with no problem, and charged it over night last night.

I got a new stand today and moved the power supply to a new location, shifting the transformer with the adaptor still plugged in.

From that point on, no charging...

the cable is good cos it still shows up on the PC, although I guess it could be partially broken.

I have tried leaving the power adaptor unplugged for an hour or so, but no luck.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Last edited:

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
Pins in the pad seem fine, same on the charger.

I just turned it off to see if I could get it to charge from a USB hub on my PC, but it seems not.

This points to the cable being at fault, but with no replacements available I am still stuck with a discharging tablet.

Very Frustrating... I guess I will be Calling Asus support on Monday.

Its a shame Comet is out of stock locally, or I would walk into store for an exchange

skchan2

Apr 25, 2011
Pins in the pad seem fine, same on the charger.

I just turned it off to see if I could get it to charge from a USB hub on my PC, but it seems not.

This points to the cable being at fault, but with no replacements available I am still stuck with a discharging tablet.

Very Frustrating... I guess I will be Calling Asus support on Monday.

Its a shame Comet is out of stock locally, or I would walk into store for an exchange

charging thru a PC usb hub is slow...the ac adapter is rated at 15v 1.2a...and a PC hub is only 5v .5a i think...

Anyone know what the adapters for the other tablets are rated at?

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
charging thru a PC usb hub is slow...the ac adapter is rated at 15v 1.2a...and a PC hub is only 5v .5a i think...

Anyone know what the adapters for the other tablets are rated at?

I realise its slow, but I would expect SOMETHING after leaving the TF plugged in for almost an hour turned off!

b1ackplague

Dec 31, 2007
This might sound ridiculous but unplug the usb cable from the power brick, unplug the power brick from the wall, set them aside....then wait a while (20+ minutes), then come back to it and try to plug it back in.

I had this same exact problem but I did the steps I told you and it began charging again. I'm not sure how or why though.

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
This might sound ridiculous but unplug the usb cable from the power brick, unplug the power brick from the wall, set them aside....then wait a while (20+ minutes), then come back to it and try to plug it back in.

I had this same exact problem but I did the steps I told you and it began charging again. I'm not sure how or why though.

I left it for a while, but I shall try again.

EDIT: On second thoughts, no this isn't the case.

Plugging in the PSU normally turns the tablet on, and currently it isnt doing that.

Bum.

Last edited:

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
What is your battery percentage at? Anything above 90, and it won't charge until it drops below. Kind of a built in failsafe.

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Nope, won't show the charging icon. What I've done, if you want to ease the paranoia, lol, is hold the power button down and keep holding until the device shuts off completely. (do this with the plug disconnected) .. Now, plug the charger back in to the device. The device should power on, and you should boot up to a charging icon.

If it doesn't start up, then yeah, you may have a faulty charger. Let me know how it goes.

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
Nope, won't show the charging icon. What I've done, if you want to ease the paranoia, lol, is hold the power button down and keep holding until the device shuts off completely. (do this with the plug disconnected) .. Now, plug the charger back in to the device. The device should power on, and you should boot up to a charging icon.

If it doesn't start up, then yeah, you may have a faulty charger. Let me know how it goes.

Worth a try, but no, nothing...

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Then just let it run down passed 90% (like 88-89%) and see if it charges. If not, then yeah, sorry. :(

Reactions: bbilko

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
What is your battery percentage at? Anything above 90, and it won't charge until it drops below. Kind of a built in failsafe.

It does on mine.

Little tip for you all... don't leave it charging overnight. It may be a bit late advice for some, but for others it might help them ending up with a useless power adapter. Unplug it when it gets to 100%. Get an app that alerts you with a sound, signaling when the battery is full. Battery monitor widget does this. Also unplug it soon after its done charging. This is assuming you don't care about battery life of course.

If you DO care about it then charging it up to 100% all the time isn't a good way to keep your battery healthy in the first place. Loads of guides on the web for Lithium Ion battery care.

There's obviously a problem with the adapter design, due to the amount of threads talking about this very issue, when people leave them charging all night. Maybe they are overheating, or some other reason. Prevention is better than cure.

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
It does on mine.

Little tip for you all... don't leave it charging overnight. It may be a bit late advice for some, but for others it might help them ending up with a useless power adapter. Unplug it when it gets to 100%. Get an app that alerts you with a sound, signaling when the battery is full. Battery monitor widget does this. Also unplug it soon after its done charging. This is assuming you don't care about battery life of course.

If you DO care about it then charging it up to 100% all the time isn't a good way to keep your battery healthy in the first place. Loads of guides on the web for Lithium Ion battery care.

There's obviously a problem with the adapter design, due to the amount of threads talking about this very issue, when people leave them charging all night. Maybe they are overheating, or some other reason. Prevention is better than cure.

Over heating might well be the issue, I am getting that sweet smell of cooked circuit board from the PSU.

Not meaning it to charge over night will be annoying, I like things ready to go come the AM :)

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
Over heating might well be the issue, I am getting that sweet smell of cooked circuit board from the PSU.

Not meaning it to charge over night will be annoying, I like things ready to go come the AM :)

Yeah I agree it shouldnt happen. Just saying I think it is. Pretty sure there are guidelines and safety features that are applied to all power supplies to make them safe for use in the home, at least there are in the EU, and it seems these ones are in violation of those guidelines, even though they have the CE approved label. If you are smelling something burning/melting its obviously faulty and needs to be replaced.

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
Well I tried comet for the warrenty and was directed to the asus support line, which is closed today.

How dull.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

Geekbabe

Mar 21, 2011
Boston
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I'm no engineer but aren't there safeguards built into a charger/battery that is operating normally? ie: put TF on charger overnight, battery draws power till full then stops charging?

I use my TF all day, at night it goes on the charger, at no time does my charger get "hot" to the touch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then just let it run down passed 90% (like 88-89%) and see if it charges. If not, then yeah, sorry. :(
    My charger also stopped working and I fixed it by removing the country adapter and pushing the pins out away from the psu by 1-2mm. The country
    Adapter was harder to put back on but its working now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App