[FIX] Wifi + Bluetooth Error

Search This thread

nSavage

Oct 20, 2012
New York City
savagesin.com
Background:
I recently bought an HTC One S for testing purposes & received it with the following specifications.
HTC ONE S[4] unlocked, s-off with cid -1111111 / stock tmobile / jelly bean
Unfortunately, it came with with the infamous wifi / bluetooth error.
At first I thought it was an hardware issue but after opening it up and examining it, I came to the conclusion that its software based and probably caused by a bad flash.
---
It took me about 2-3 days to fix this issue which included flashing ruu's, firmwares, hboots, recoveries, radios & infinite s-on / s-off / locked / unlocked / cid variations.

What is the Wifi + Bluetooth error?
When you try to turn on Wifi or Bluetooth from the settings, it just states that its turning on but then that quickly turns into "error".
Basically, your Wifi and/or Bluetooth are messed up and non-functional due to a bad flash.

The Fix
--- Step 1 ---
You need an all in one utility for the HTC One S - I used the following one,
[TOOL] HTC One S All-In-One Toolkit v4.0
You can download it by clicking [Link removed, I didn't know it wasn't allowed on XDA - Sorry, you will just have to do the steps manually via fastboot / cmd or find a kit on your own] It's pretty easy to do manually, just look for a fast boot tutorial, there are more than a few floating around.

--- Step 2 ---
I received the phone with supercid 111111 which I changed to stock T-MOB010 using the all in one tool and then flashed the proper carrier RUU for my cid (RUU_Ville_U_TMOUS_1.53.531.16_Radio_0.16.31501S.02 _10.18.31501S.08L_release_262073_signed.exe)

You will now need to flash the very first RUU available for your specific One S model / 1.53 is ideal, if you don't have access to that then maybe 1.78 might do the trick.

- Preparation -
(Important) You need: Locked bootloader, stock cid and the very first RUU.exe that was released for your device - In my 7 tests so far, the 1.53 ruu has always worked eventually. (read the 3rd post for an example on this)

Boot up into the bootloader by holding power + volume down.

You can lock the bootloader, change back to stock cid from the All in One tool while booted up in fastboot.

CID LIST + Help: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2139447

RUU's: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2200930

--- Step 3 ---

(Locked & Stock Cid)
Boot into fastboot, run the 1.53 (1.78?) RUU.exe

Success? Then go ahead and perform the next step in order!

--- Step 4 ---
power up the phone with an activated sim card with data.

during the initial set up, select use mobile data option instead of Wifi

Finish the set up using mobile data

power down the phone, remove sim

boot into recovery & clear cache
(power + volume down into bootloader
select recovery, let it fully go into recovery
in recovery press power+volume up
select clear cache from the drop down menu
Reboot)

Do not insert the sim back yet

--- Final Step: The Fix ---

Go into settings & hit the wifi on switch only once and leave it

Now, it will attempt to turn the wifi and it will either turn on or after a few attempts the phone will reboot...

If it does reboot on its own it will seem like it is stuck in a boot loop but don't panic - it's not.

It will do a few loops and then boot back into sense and your wifi will work.

------------

Hope it works for you and make sure you follow the steps exactly as I listed them because that is the variation that worked for me and six other devices with the same exact problem. This also fixed not having 4G / hspa on one of the devices but there are two extra steps needed to fix that issue.

From the research I collected, it seems this issue is caused by a specific ota update from tmobile that was released a while back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot #7

dd98

May 19, 2013
Just a friendly tip, your not allowed to use hasoon2000's toolkit for certain reasons (not sure why myself) but it was banned by xda moderators so you should probably remove it before you get reported

Reactions: mohamedrimas

nSavage

Oct 20, 2012
New York City
savagesin.com
Just a friendly tip, your not allowed to use hasoon2000's toolkit for certain reasons (not sure why myself) but it was banned by xda moderators so you should probably remove it before you get reported

Thanks for the heads up, I will remove the download link. I was also wondering why there were no links on the official thread since it had so many hits. I've been using his kits with success since the sensation =\

nSavage

Oct 20, 2012
New York City
savagesin.com
Also, I fixed another wifi problem on another one s for someone. I followed with the same steps.

But, this time... After the very last few steps (flashing 1.54 ruu, etc...) once I finally turned the wifi on, it sent the phone into a boot loop for 45 minutes (usually its just 10-20 minutes max) it eventually fixed its self.

I think that the RUU + stock recovery in the initial release has a unique file check system that automatically runs when it encounters a crash on the first boot and just goes crazy until it gets done fixing all the abnormalities.

So, don't panic or give up if your phones just looping for a long time, just leave it plugged in for as long as you can. Specially after if it starts looping when you turn the wifi on for the very first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: dd98

rafelsr

Aug 28, 2014
Background:

Hope it works for you and make sure you follow the steps exactly as I listed them because that is the variation that worked for me and six other devices with the same exact problem. This also fixed not having 4G / hspa on one of the devices but there are two extra steps needed to fix that issue.

From the research I collected, it seems this issue is caused by a specific ota update from tmobile that was released a while back.

Please, can you tell me which extra steps needed to fix 3g/4g issue? I only can connect 2g. Thanks.

edge540T

Sep 20, 2008
HTC U11
I take place here, maybe i will test this theory soon.
I guess the devices can be s-off through this process, true?
edit:It was other problem, seems it's working.

Last edited:

fadie2

Dec 10, 2014
never ending bootloop

Background:
I recently bought an HTC One S for testing purposes & received it with the following specifications.
At first I thought it was an hardware issue but after opening it up and examining it, I came to the conclusion that its software based and probably caused by a bad flash.
---
It took me about 2-3 days to fix this issue which included flashing ruu's, firmwares, hboots, recoveries, radios & infinite s-on / s-off / locked / unlocked / cid variations.

When you try to turn on Wifi or Bluetooth from the settings, it just states that its turning on but then that quickly turns into "error".
Basically, your Wifi and/or Bluetooth are messed up and non-functional due to a bad flash.

The Fix
--- Step 1 ---
You can download it by clicking [Link removed, I didn't know it wasn't allowed on XDA - Sorry, you will just have to do the steps manually via fastboot / cmd or find a kit on your own] It's pretty easy to do manually, just look for a fast boot tutorial, there are more than a few floating around.

--- Step 2 ---
I received the phone with supercid 111111 which I changed to stock T-MOB010 using the all in one tool and then flashed the proper carrier RUU for my cid (RUU_Ville_U_TMOUS_1.53.531.16_Radio_0.16.31501S.02 _10.18.31501S.08L_release_262073_signed.exe)

You will now need to flash the very first RUU available for your specific One S model / 1.53 is ideal, if you don't have access to that then maybe 1.78 might do the trick.

- Preparation -
(Important) You need: Locked bootloader, stock cid and the very first RUU.exe that was released for your device - In my 7 tests so far, the 1.53 ruu has always worked eventually. (read the 3rd post for an example on this)

You can lock the bootloader, change back to stock cid from the All in One tool while booted up in fastboot.

--- Step 3 ---

(Locked & Stock Cid)

--- Step 4 ---

Reboot)

Now, it will attempt to turn the wifi and it will either turn on or after a few attempts the phone will reboot...

If it does reboot on its own it will seem like it is stuck in a boot loop but don't panic - it's not.

------------

I get this never ending bootloop when installing 1..53 or 1.78 Ruu.. i have the exact same problem.. i have tried evrything please help me.. i cant even boot into 1.53 Ruu..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background:
    ---

The Fix
    --- Step 1 ---

--- Step 2 ---

- Preparation -

--- Step 3 ---

(Locked & Stock Cid)

--- Step 4 ---

Reboot)

------------

Also, I fixed another wifi problem on another one s for someone. I followed with the same steps.

But, this time... After the very last few steps (flashing 1.54 ruu, etc...) once I finally turned the wifi on, it sent the phone into a boot loop for 45 minutes (usually its just 10-20 minutes max) it eventually fixed its self.

I think that the RUU + stock recovery in the initial release has a unique file check system that automatically runs when it encounters a crash on the first boot and just goes crazy until it gets done fixing all the abnormalities.

So, don't panic or give up if your phones just looping for a long time, just leave it plugged in for as long as you can. Specially after if it starts looping when you turn the wifi on for the very first time.