Unlocking the boot loader in the new Xperia™ smartphones

Search This thread

Rubin85

Nov 14, 2010
Hull UK
All phones will have a locked bootloader by default. Unbranded and simlock-free phones will be unlockable through some tool Sony Ericsson will release (probably).
You can check if your device is unlockable by connecting it to fastboot. If fastboot recognizes your phone, you will be able to unlock it when Sony Ericsson releases its tool.

sorry for dump question but how to connect my phone to fastboot ? :/

Reactions: mogstabaguette

mogstabaguette

Dec 23, 2009
www.breadfish.de
1. download fastboot.zip (www_._share_._cx/files/216783534118/Fastboot.zip.html)
2. unzip fastboot.zip
3. power off phone
4. press and keep pressed menu key and plug in usb cable, notification led should be blue now
5. open cmd.exe
6. cd to the directory where fastboot.exe has been unzipped to
7. type "fastboot devices" and hit return
8. watch what happens

if you see something alphanumeric (see attachment) plus "fastboot" then you're lucky, your bootloader can be unlocked. :)

if nothing happened, try installing PdaNet (www_._junefabrics_._com/android/download.php) and retry. its installer comes with the needed driver files.
still nothing happened, your bootloader cannot been unlocked the official semc method :(

for me it worked, connection to fastboot was successful :)

(sorry about the "_" in the urls, i'be been only a xda-reader all the time, that's my first post, no urls allowed -.-)

Attachments

• Zwischenablage01.jpg
    Zwischenablage01.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Reactions: Mooozer and Rubin85

AdamUpNorth

Apr 29, 2010
hopefully it will be possible at some point to make the phone think it is the same as the unlocked ones... I will keep checking, because since I'm using a f'in htc magic right now. My phone is great, running cyanogen and everything, but still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too old, I kinda need one, but want something I can have fun with...

Although I wonder how much it's going to matter not that it's got a pretty decent rom on it (i.e. almost stock).

If we can root it (which I'm sure will be possible eventually) like the X10 could be then you can get rid of the lame SE/Rogers apps I think you're laughing.

It was a huge deal on the X10 because it was stock on v2.1 and it was so bloated with SE crap that it crawled. Now with near stock rom, does it matter?

Rubin85

Nov 14, 2010
Hull UK
ahh wrong letter and no results :D

now im IN, lets have a look and tell me if is unlocked or not

Attachments

• dcsvfbgd.jpg
    dcsvfbgd.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 371

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
It's apparently coming in "the coming weeks". It btw also worked on my Xperia Play, altho I had to hold down the "search" key here. ;)

xperiaplayfastboot.png

Regii

Feb 28, 2011
Duisburg
And the unlocked bootloader means that also overclocking may become available? Seeing as this is a newer snapdragon ... might be nice to check out.. or do you need the kernel sources for that apart from the bootloader for rooting?

Sent from my Kyrillos Galaxy 3(.0)

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
Yeah, before we could overclock the device, we'd need the kernel sources. But I'm pretty sure they'll be released soon as well and we can get started. ^^

Regii

Feb 28, 2011
Duisburg
So fastboot not only shows the capability of unlocking but already unlocks the phone if possible? I thought Sony Ericsson will hand out specific instructions and applications for that.

Mooozer

Jul 30, 2010
it will be unlocked with fastboot as far as i'm concerned, but you'll have to provide unlock key which we do not have atm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. download fastboot.zip (www_._share_._cx/files/216783534118/Fastboot.zip.html)
    2. unzip fastboot.zip
    3. power off phone
    4. press and keep pressed menu key and plug in usb cable, notification led should be blue now
    5. open cmd.exe
    6. cd to the directory where fastboot.exe has been unzipped to
    7. type "fastboot devices" and hit return
    8. watch what happens

if you see something alphanumeric (see attachment) plus "fastboot" then you're lucky, your bootloader can be unlocked. :)

if nothing happened, try installing PdaNet (www_._junefabrics_._com/android/download.php) and retry. its installer comes with the needed driver files.
    still nothing happened, your bootloader cannot been unlocked the official semc method :(

for me it worked, connection to fastboot was successful :)

(sorry about the "_" in the urls, i'be been only a xda-reader all the time, that's my first post, no urls allowed -.-)
    All phones will have a locked bootloader by default. Unbranded and simlock-free phones will be unlockable through some tool Sony Ericsson will release (probably).
    You can check if your device is unlockable by connecting it to fastboot. If fastboot recognizes your phone, you will be able to unlock it when Sony Ericsson releases its tool.

sorry for dump question but how to connect my phone to fastboot ? :/
    I think you're reading a little too much into things. The Bootloader is NOT yet unlocked. As you can see in my previous screen, "fastboot oem unlock" (which would unlock the bootloader) fails due to the missing key. "fastboot devices" ONLY SHOWS the devices that reply to the fastboot command, which usually only developer (i.e. unlockable) devices do.
    How to properly connect to fastboot? My pops all the time:

but I have them:

So where is the problem ??

do not start fastboot.exe, do it like is here
    if you need more help PM me so i can explain you in your language :)