Tutorial on how to make dock for Sony Xperia ZR and other Xperias at home (DIY)

Search This thread

dr_vishal

Feb 18, 2010
Things needed,

(1) Any hard plastic sheet to make charging base stand (I had used plastic from square plastic bottle, image attached)
(2) Nokia to sony erricson - old mobiles' charging adapter. (image attached)
(3) Ordinary USB cable with power surge protection (not a must thing to have power surge protection).
(4) Two sided sticking tape. (image attached)
(5) Scissors and sharp blade to cut the plastic sheet.
(6) Soldering iron.
(7) Original sony charger - the one which came with your mobile.
(8) Quick fix to stick the things together.

First of all, you have to make charging case to adapt the phone, measure the width of the phone, add 2 mm to it, draw square (black square as in figure) with this width and height on the plastic sheet from which you intend to make case. Now measure thickness of your phone, add 2 mm to it, draw two parallel lines (blue lines as in figure) on the adjoining rectangular lines on the square, secondly draw another two parallel lines (red lines as in figure) parallel to blue lines to make supporting sleeve. Fold them according to shown in figure, and stick them with quick fix to hold them in place. Allow it to dry.

Then put your phone in this case, mark the placements of golden contact ports (dock ports) on the side wall of the case with pen.

Take the charger adapter, adjust the contact pins according to distance between golden contact points of phone, cut the space on the side wall of the plastic case to fit this charger adapter so that after fixing it, the contact pins of adapter comes in contact with phone golden contact ports.

Now, cut the second end of USB cable (the end towards the power surge protector), find out which one is +ve and which one is -ve, and solder them to the pins of charger adapter after opening the covering of the adapter (non branded adapters are easy to open) so that +ve PIN COMES IN CONTACT TO THE UPPER GOLDEN CONTACT POINT OF THE PHONE, second one is ground, so solder it to the remaining contact pin. Close the cover of charger adapter, remove adjoining plastic insertions pins up to the base, fix adapter with quick fix to the already cut out space of the side wall of the plastic case and allow it to dry.

Plug this USB to your original charger and the DOCK IS READY

You can stick the case to wall with two sided tape as shown in photo, so that when phone is placed in the case, it remains tilted and hence by gravity, golden dock port comes in contact with charger adapter pins.

Hope this tutorial will help you.

----Inspired from XDA-----

Disclaimer:- I have and am using this self made dock to charge my own Sony Xperia ZR without any problem to phone or battery but I do not take any responsibility of what so ever happens to your phone by making and using this charging dock.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 4,140
  • attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 3,897
  • attachment2.jpg
    attachment2.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 3,692
  • Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3,538
  • 83a1e3f0bcc6ffb31caf7c2fcdb172af.jpg
    83a1e3f0bcc6ffb31caf7c2fcdb172af.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 3,016
  • Double-sided-tape01.jpg
    Double-sided-tape01.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,634

DPY!

Aug 9, 2013
Charging speed?

I tried to make a dock using a printer usb cable and it worked but the charging speed was really slow. I got 1% charge in about 20 mins.
Could you please tell the charging speed using your dock?
Thanks.

dr_vishal

Feb 18, 2010
Charging Speed

I tried to make a dock using a printer usb cable and it worked but the charging speed was really slow. I got 1% charge in about 20 mins.
Could you please tell the charging speed using your dock?
Thanks.

100 % charging required 3 hrs in my case vs 2.5 hrs with direct charging. I suggest you to use the USB cable which came with any mobile device for charging/data transfer. They have very low resistance value. You can also check the power output of native charger and your dock if there is any difference.

samylyes2304

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks very much for this great tutorial,
But one thing i didn't get is how to adjust the contact pins to the right distance ?

dr_vishal

Feb 18, 2010
Thanks very much for this great tutorial,
But one thing i didn't get is how to adjust the contact pins to the right distance ?

For that, all you have to do is, open sony charger adapter, remove the pins and replace according to the distance required (distance between golden dock points of phone). There are grooves already present to adjust the space between this two pins in majority of after market charger adapters.

Thibou

Apr 27, 2012
France
That's my DIY Dock for ZR

Hi!

I have the honor to present my version of DIY dock for ZR. ^^

I made it in ​​1 afternoon. It cost me 0€. (I've collected the 2 pins and the micro USB port on a broken phone that I had in a drawer.)
It's made of wood as you can see. I designed it for my ZR fits perfectly in with the silicone case. But I also intended that the 2 contacts are adjustable so that I can use the phone in the dock without case.
My ZR really fits perfectly, I just have to let go in the dock and it sets up all alone and recharge. :D
The 2 little pieces of steel works as 2 little springs and permit that the contact of the pins with the phone is always perfect. And the 2 screws permit to adjust exactly the position of the 2 pins.
I will soon paint the dock. But it's not urgent.

The only drawback is that the dock charging speed is not as fast as usb cable charge speed. :rolleyes:But It's not a problem of design of my dock.

So there is some photos of my dock. :)

w066.jpg

ic80.jpg

qjqp.jpg

4nfe.jpg

49lr.jpg

dhs7.jpg

Last edited:

ronaldbeti

Oct 22, 2013
Jesselton
Hi!

I made it in ​​1 afternoon. It cost me 0€. (I've collected the 2 pins and the micro USB port on a broken phone that I had in a drawer.)
It's made of wood as you can see. I designed it for my ZR fits perfectly in with the silicone case. But I also intended that the 2 contacts are adjustable so that I can use the phone in the dock without case.
My ZR really fits perfectly, I just have to let go in the dock and it sets up all alone and recharge. :D
The 2 little pieces of steel works as 2 little springs and permit that the contact of the pins with the phone is always perfect. And the 2 screws permit to adjust exactly the position of the 2 pins.

The only drawback is that the dock charging speed is not as fast as usb cable charge speed. :rolleyes:But It's not a problem of design of my dock.

So there is so photos of my dock. :)

w066.jpg

ic80.jpg

qjqp.jpg

4nfe.jpg

49lr.jpg

dhs7.jpg

Looks cool man. This is genius and creativity.

Earl John

Feb 18, 2014
Xperia ZR dock-charger plates polarity??

Hello everyone!
Can anyone tell me the polarity of the Xperia ZR's charging plates? I mean which one is positive and which one is negative?
I want to make my own dock as well but I am afraid that I might fry my phone by messing up with the polarity. I don't have a tester by the way.
Can anyone show me a picture of this?
Something that looks like the attached picture below.
Please do *NOTE that the picture is only to tell you what I mean. It doesn't mean that the content(polarity) is accurate.
Someone please correct the illustration if it's wrong. If it is right, please confirm as well.

Thank you guys!!!

Thibou

Apr 27, 2012
France
Hello everyone!
Can anyone tell me the polarity of the Xperia ZR's charging plates? I mean which one is positive and which one is negative?
I want to make my own dock as well but I am afraid that I might fry my phone by messing up with the polarity. I don't have a tester by the way.
Please do *NOTE that the picture is only to tell you what I mean. It doesn't mean that the content(polarity) is accurate.
Someone please correct the illustration if it's wrong. If it is right, please confirm as well.

Thank you guys!!!

Hi :)

The polarity on the picture is good. The + on the top and the - below.
The first time I hadn't any idea about the good polarity, i've try by putting wires in the plates, it was the good polarity at the firt try. But wanted to try the invert polarity (idiot idea :rolleyes: ), the result, ZR shutdown instantly ! I was very scared but it restarted, fortunately. :D

Don't forget to show us your DIY dock when you will have finish it. :p

Reactions: Earl John

Earl John

Feb 18, 2014
Kodus buddy!

The first time I hadn't any idea about the good polarity, i've try by putting wires in the plates, it was the good polarity at the firt try. But wanted to try the invert polarity (idiot idea :rolleyes: ), the result, ZR shutdown instantly ! I was very scared but it restarted, fortunately. :D

Thanks buddy!!
I will post some pictures of my own D.I.Y. dock when it's done :)
How about the charging speed of yours? Is it fast enough? Others in this thread had experienced very slow charging speed. I wonder what caused it. Perhaps, the type of wire they used. So I guess I need to look for good wires suitable for fast charging as well. Any suggestion?

Reactions: mahesh sinh

Thibou

Apr 27, 2012
France
Thanks buddy!!
How about the charging speed of yours? Is it fast enough? Others in this thread had experienced very slow charging speed. I wonder what caused it. Perhaps, the type of wire they used. So I guess I need to look for good wires suitable for fast charging as well. Any suggestion?

Concerning charging speed, it's a boring problem for me.
At the beggining, my ZR charge well but slowly. If I go to bed and connect the ZR at the dock with less than 20%, the tomorow morning, the ZR wasn't completly charged ( around 90%) after 6-7 hours.
And since a moment, my ZR don't want to charge. I put it on the dock, the led light up but it don't charge, it's discharge ! Or sometimes it charge about 1% per 30 minutes, so currently I let my dock in the drawer... :crying:
I don't know from where comes the problem. I've exactly the same electric values as a friend's official Z dock (4,86V and 1650mA for me) but the ZR don't charge. My electric circuit is good as well. Electric contacts seem good.

Earl John

Feb 18, 2014
perhaps

Concerning charging speed, it's a boring problem for me.
At the beggining, my ZR charge well but slowly. If I go to bed and connect the ZR at the dock with less than 20%, the tomorow morning, the ZR wasn't completly charged ( around 90%) after 6-7 hours.
And since a moment, my ZR don't want to charge. I put it on the dock, the led light up but it don't charge, it's discharge ! Or sometimes it charge about 1% per 30 minutes, so currently I let my dock in the drawer... :crying:
I don't know from where comes the problem. I've exactly the same electric values as a friend's official Z dock (4,86V and 1650mA for me) but the ZR don't charge. My electric circuit is good as well. Electric contacts seem good.

That sounds strange. Are you using the original charger unit that came with your phone? How about charging via micro usb directly to the phone, does it still work?
I really think that there must be a specific type of wire that should be used for fast charging.
Also, try to double check the in wires of your dock. There could be short circuit happening inside or maybe the wire itself is nearly, completely cut.

Thibou

Apr 27, 2012
France
That sounds strange. Are you using the original charger unit that came with your phone? How about charging via micro usb directly to the phone, does it still work?
I really think that there must be a specific type of wire that should be used for fast charging.
Also, try to double check the in wires of your dock. There could be short circuit happening inside or maybe the wire itself is nearly, completely cut.

Yes I use the official wall charger (EP880) designed for the ZR. With USB cable + wall charger my ZR charge fastly. :)
Concerning wires, it's not needed to use some specific ones. You just need to have the correct electric values at the dock pins. In my case it's good, I've the same power as on an official dock. You need to have same values as you measure with the wall charger, it's approximatly 5V and 1500mA. In my case I've 4,86V and 1650mA with the official wall charger and with my DIY dock.
There is no short circuit because I've the good values in the pins. Due to the conception of my dock I can check the electric values by return my dock when my ZR is in place into it. And all seems good... in theory ! x)

EDIT : I use CM11 Official. I think my problem is a software problem and not an material problem. Mabye with old nightlies dock charging works but with new nightlies there is a bug.

Last edited:

Thibou

Apr 27, 2012
France
Hi !
I have solved my problem of dock ! :D
It's really weird but it was a problem of weldings not properly done. However, the current seems to pass but not charge.
Now I have +1% by 2 minutes of charge. :)

Last edited:

8BB76E1

Jun 24, 2014
so this is mine.. made from audio cassette case, old siemens phone data cable and a lot of hot glue.. ^_^;
just until the cheap dock from ebay arrives..

Attachments

• dock1.jpg
    dock1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 544
  • dock2.jpg
    dock2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 532
  • dock3.jpg
    dock3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 501

jatyeo

Sep 9, 2010
Dude. The aftermarket dock is better than stock and costs 10 bucks on ebay shipping included. Buy that. Best tutorial.

Sent from my C5503 using XDA Free mobile app

usbfreak

Jul 7, 2013
Hi, here's my version of a diy dock
Things needed,
1. Styrofoam /thermocol block
2. Kekda charger (that's what it's called in Mumbai)/ universal battery charger
3. USB cable
4. Sharp knife
5. Screw driver with a 4inch + shaft.
6. Heat.

Get hold of a Styrofoam /thermocol block cut to desired shape so as to fit your ZR and outer body. A 1 inch thickness on all walls is recommended.
Take the universal battery charger and remove the battery holder part having springness in it.
Take the screw driver and heat it and then cave in a slot for the Kekda charger in the back of the Styrofoam block by slowly melting ( Styrofoam shrinks in the presence of heat), else use a heated solder gun to cave in a slot.
Cut one end of USB to expose wires and solder on the Kekda charger part.
Red wire + on top of the charging pin and black - on lower.
After soldering press in the Kekda charger and adjust the pins accordingly.
Done.

http://instagram.com/p/tTMg4iIriD/
http://instagram.com/p/tTMeHoorh8/
http://instagram.com/p/tTMa1OIrh3/
http://instagram.com/p/tTMVc4Irhu/

Unable to upload pictures on xda.... Sorry

Sent from my C5502 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Sorry i forgot to show whats a Kekda charger

http://instagram.com/p/tTNGbLorjS/

Reactions: nikhilkaushik

usbfreak

Jul 7, 2013
My second diy dock. Better than the first first one :)
The circuit board is just to attach a mini usb female on a sturdy thing using fevikwik ( a super fast instant adhesive glue.) The pins used are of a old nokia phone where yhe battery is inserted in the phone.
Total cost in INR,
Nokia pins : 10
Circuit board : free from scrap
Mini usb female: 20
Body : free .
Total 30 . I.e. 1/2 a $ :cool:

Sent from my Xperia ZR using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1421651631932.jpg
    1421651631932.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 1421651676257.jpg
    1421651676257.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 267

pritibk

Feb 17, 2015
Guys save me....

Look i need help........i accidentally put the wrong polarity of the cable to wrong plate on the phone ....i had around 80% battery that time.Now the phone wont start . I tried taking out and putting back the battery but it still wont start......Expecting a reply ASAP :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Things needed,

(1) Any hard plastic sheet to make charging base stand (I had used plastic from square plastic bottle, image attached)
    (2) Nokia to sony erricson - old mobiles' charging adapter. (image attached)
    (3) Ordinary USB cable with power surge protection (not a must thing to have power surge protection).
    (4) Two sided sticking tape. (image attached)
    (5) Scissors and sharp blade to cut the plastic sheet.
    (6) Soldering iron.
    (7) Original sony charger - the one which came with your mobile.
    (8) Quick fix to stick the things together.

First of all, you have to make charging case to adapt the phone, measure the width of the phone, add 2 mm to it, draw square (black square as in figure) with this width and height on the plastic sheet from which you intend to make case. Now measure thickness of your phone, add 2 mm to it, draw two parallel lines (blue lines as in figure) on the adjoining rectangular lines on the square, secondly draw another two parallel lines (red lines as in figure) parallel to blue lines to make supporting sleeve. Fold them according to shown in figure, and stick them with quick fix to hold them in place. Allow it to dry.

Then put your phone in this case, mark the placements of golden contact ports (dock ports) on the side wall of the case with pen.

Take the charger adapter, adjust the contact pins according to distance between golden contact points of phone, cut the space on the side wall of the plastic case to fit this charger adapter so that after fixing it, the contact pins of adapter comes in contact with phone golden contact ports.

Now, cut the second end of USB cable (the end towards the power surge protector), find out which one is +ve and which one is -ve, and solder them to the pins of charger adapter after opening the covering of the adapter (non branded adapters are easy to open) so that +ve PIN COMES IN CONTACT TO THE UPPER GOLDEN CONTACT POINT OF THE PHONE, second one is ground, so solder it to the remaining contact pin. Close the cover of charger adapter, remove adjoining plastic insertions pins up to the base, fix adapter with quick fix to the already cut out space of the side wall of the plastic case and allow it to dry.

Plug this USB to your original charger and the DOCK IS READY

You can stick the case to wall with two sided tape as shown in photo, so that when phone is placed in the case, it remains tilted and hence by gravity, golden dock port comes in contact with charger adapter pins.

Hope this tutorial will help you.

----Inspired from XDA-----

Disclaimer:- I have and am using this self made dock to charge my own Sony Xperia ZR without any problem to phone or battery but I do not take any responsibility of what so ever happens to your phone by making and using this charging dock.

Hi!

So there is some photos of my dock. :)

w066.jpg

ic80.jpg

qjqp.jpg

4nfe.jpg

49lr.jpg

dhs7.jpg
    Hello everyone!

Thank you guys!!!

Kodus buddy!

Thanks buddy!!
    Hi, here's my version of a diy dock
    Things needed,
    1. Styrofoam /thermocol block
    2. Kekda charger (that's what it's called in Mumbai)/ universal battery charger
    3. USB cable
    4. Sharp knife
    5. Screw driver with a 4inch + shaft.
    6. Heat.

Get hold of a Styrofoam /thermocol block cut to desired shape so as to fit your ZR and outer body. A 1 inch thickness on all walls is recommended.
    Take the universal battery charger and remove the battery holder part having springness in it.
    Take the screw driver and heat it and then cave in a slot for the Kekda charger in the back of the Styrofoam block by slowly melting ( Styrofoam shrinks in the presence of heat), else use a heated solder gun to cave in a slot.
    Cut one end of USB to expose wires and solder on the Kekda charger part.
    Red wire + on top of the charging pin and black - on lower.
    After soldering press in the Kekda charger and adjust the pins accordingly.
    Done.

http://instagram.com/p/tTMg4iIriD/
    http://instagram.com/p/tTMeHoorh8/
    http://instagram.com/p/tTMa1OIrh3/
    http://instagram.com/p/tTMVc4Irhu/

Unable to upload pictures on xda.... Sorry

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Sorry i forgot to show whats a Kekda charger

http://instagram.com/p/tTNGbLorjS/