noob question: kitchen vs tools..same?

Search This thread
I

ipaqshaq

Newbie question. I don't understand, what is difference between a kitchen and tools like mamaich's ? At first I thought they were the same but now I'm not sure because I keep seeing references that don't make sense. :confused:

I

ipaqshaq

Post removed? That's it? Pardon me....Look, I know this is a newbie question but I am honestly confused as to what the definition of kitchen is. If I use mamaich's tools to prepare, view, etc. I end up with what seems, to me, to be a similar thing as a kitchen. Are they the same? Is there something about a "kitchen" that is fundamentally different than only using the tools? I have read many, many pages here and I'm honestly trying to understand. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.
edit: sorry, I thought "post removed" in the earlier post meant I got my message removed from the forum by an admin, anyway, my question still stands.

Last edited:

Steven855

Since the unhelpful member above failed to give you a decent answer, I will help you. Tools are either a program or a set of programs designed to do a task with the roms (for example, Mammich's tools are designed to help you edit the imgfs part of the rom). A kitchen is a set of tools (made by various people) designed to edit the whole rom or most of the rom and build your own custom roms.For future reference, if you ever have any other questions about rom building, let me know and I will help you out as much as I can.

Last edited:
I

ipaqshaq

Thank you very much Steven855 and I appreciate the offer to help. :)

Guilf

Nov 29, 2007
Tampa
I originally gave an inadequate answer - thus the removed post. Home ill with the flu, Nyquilled up and forgot which section I was in (thought I was in the Kaiser specific section and gave an answer associated with that). No ill intentions, so to speak.

What I will say is the various tools are something a newbie should probably feel comfortable using. Before using a kitchen, read, learn and flash a number of others' custom ROMs. While the great developers here have made cooking custom ROMs very easy with the kitchens, you can cause a lot of problems with your device if you don't know what you're doing.

I

ipaqshaq

No ill intentions taken. Like I said, at first I misunderstood and thought my post got nixed by an admin. btw notwithstanding Steven855's helpful answer, I had my question answered earlier on another thread when the same question came up.

Quote originally Posted by ramsses:
My understanding is the kitchen implies each module (with its associated registry - RGU - files and dlls etc.) is explicitly separated so it can be incrementally and selectively combined. What we are doing here is taking an existing set of ROMs and combining the dlls, exe etc. by hand - there isn't a handy gui where you can select which module you want. Also, the registry is necessarily hand crafted too. So by using the extract/rebuild tools, we are making a ROM, but it isn't a kitchen, more a roadside burger van!

Thanks again, really enjoying this site, and learning alot. :)

dominick_7

Feb 4, 2007
Since the unhelpful member above failed to give you a decent answer, I will help you. Tools are either a program or a set of programs designed to do a task with the roms (for example, Mammich's tools are designed to help you edit the imgfs part of the rom). A kitchen is a set of tools (made by various people) designed to edit the whole rom or most of the rom and build your own custom roms.For future reference, if you ever have any other questions about rom building, let me know and I will help you out as much as I can.

Hi Steven. I was wondering if you knew about ROM cooking for Verizon CDMA devices..ie the i730? I was looking around to see where I would be able to find the bootloader for it but I haven't found any answers yet. Thanks.