Accessories for Droid 4

Search This thread

Thranx

Jul 31, 2008
The universal moto dock is overpriced, and also crappy. I loved the D1/D2/X2 docks. This universal one they're doing now annoys me.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA App

Malnodnarb

Apr 2, 2011
Was debating getting one but I'd figure I'd try it out first. Do they have these in the Verizon showrooms?

zombie673

Feb 4, 2008
Avenel
verizonwireless.com has the D4 car mount which I already ordered and will give an update as to its quality and functionality when it arrives. They have it for $39.99 which is actually cheaper than past docks so I am pretty content with that.

Also, Best Buy is carrying the Zagg screen shields for about $20 which is not bad if you want something really pro to protect that gorilla glass. It fits well and is the only one I have seen that is specifically designed for the D4 as of right now.

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
verizonwireless.com has the D4 car mount which I already ordered and will give an update as to its quality and functionality when it arrives. They have it for $39.99 which is actually cheaper than past docks so I am pretty content with that.
I would not recommend the $40 VZW D4 car mount. I bought it yesterday thinking it was the same as the $60 mount in the Motorola Store/Amazon (it's not) and returned it today. The VZW mount does not come with a power cable/charger and the 3.5mm jack needs to be plugged in every time you dock your phone to get audio from your car speakers, whereas the $60 mount has a 2-in-1 cable that connects both power and audio via USB. Definitely worth the extra 20 bucks IMHO.

VZW car dock: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...ryDetails&archetypeId=12989&accessoryId=50275
Motorola car dock: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...ries/Car-Mounts/Vehicle-Dock-for-DROID4-US-EN

Last edited:

mfendley

Jan 13, 2009
I bought the Power and protection package, the vehicle navigation dock, the HD Station, and the Lapdock 500 when I got the droid 4 - so I can answer questions on these items, if anyone has any.

lkaltz

Oct 16, 2006
Skinomi has their techskin available for the D4. I was much happier than the ZAGG, one the warranty is great, they replace for a nominal fee regardless of reason, two) cheaper for the same quality, three) I like the feel of the tech skin better.

I also bought the lapdock100 and love it. Nice quality and really gives me laptop light functionality. It can't/won't replace a laptop or desktop but makes things easier when trying to pump out some work emails or just general browsing.

dewhashish

Jan 29, 2012
i bought the holster clip from verizon for the phone, but it's too bulky, anyone see a smaller one, similar to the OG droid's?

pyro42

Jan 22, 2009
anyone found just a simple charging cradle/dock yet? i really have no need for the HD dock bedside.

zombie673

Feb 4, 2008
Avenel
The $60 moto dock would be worthwhile if my car had a USB connection in the head unit but it doesn't so using my old car charger to plug it in doesn't really make a big difference to me.

I can say that I had a few connection issues with it, though. I think it was the CLA>USB adapter that I was using. I switched to a regular CLA with a micro USB built in and it seems to be working fine now.

I don't really have any issues with the quality of the dock but as previously stated, it doesn't come with a power cord which is a bit of a rip-off.

Fuddster

Oct 11, 2011
New Jersey
I would not recommend the $40 VZW D4 car mount. I bought it yesterday thinking it was the same as the $60 mount in the Motorola Store/Amazon (it's not) and returned it today. The VZW mount does not come with a power cable/charger and the 3.5mm jack needs to be plugged in every time you dock your phone to get audio from your car speakers, whereas the $60 mount has a 2-in-1 cable that connects both power and audio via USB. Definitely worth the extra 20 bucks IMHO.

Considering the MOTO car dock, even though it would be a $30 difference because of my company discount. Are you able to run other apps while in car dock mode? I'm thinking mainly of Trapster, since I have a few long road trips coming up this spring/summer...

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
Are you able to run other apps while in car dock mode? I'm thinking mainly of Trapster, since I have a few long road trips coming up this spring/summer...
Yes and no. The Car Home app does have a place for you to add a custom shortcut to an app, but only two or three I think. I rooted my phone and froze the Car Home app so the phone stays on the normal home screen and retains its full functionality when docked...so I'd recommend doing that.

Reactions: Fuddster

tnt118

Apr 22, 2011
I'm surprisingly happy with the Motorola dock and car mount for the Droid 4. I got both from Amazon.

Motorola HD Dock: Really impressed how it can be used for phones, tables, and has an adjustable insert if you have a protective case on the phone. This particular "version" of the dock did come with a power cord, something I see complained about heavily, and now I've got a spare charger. When docking, you can put it into a special bedside mode (clock, alarm, weather, time, etc), an office mode (messaging, calls, etc), or just charge. The connections on the bottom, as well as the backplate, are completely adjustable making usable for many different models. I haven't tried any of the HDMI out stuff yet because I don't have a cable.

Motorola Vehicle Mount: Very solid construction, mountable on either your window or dash. Also has an insert to allow for the phone to fit with or without a protective case. This "version" came with the charging/audio cable (not all do, apparently) and the plug has 2 USB connections for charging 2 things at once. The phone goes into a Car Mode while in the dock (large buttons, you can see it in the picture). You can Menu > Exit out of that to get to your normal home screens, but hitting the home button takes you back to the car mode interface.

Even though these are not the cheapest options out there, for the first time I feel like I'm getting something of value for the price, as opposed to OEM crap.

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
Hm, I had the option to buy a few of these with the phone and I skipped them. But now I find that the phone doesn't charge with my current DC-USB adapter and I have to buy a new adapter anyway. So annoying. Even with "standardized" USB ports they're still screwing this up.

On a side note, I'm also looking for screen protectors. Any recommendations on anti-glare vs other choices?

greekchampion04

Apr 6, 2011
Hm, I had the option to buy a few of these with the phone and I skipped them. But now I find that the phone doesn't charge with my current DC-USB adapter and I have to buy a new adapter anyway. So annoying. Even with "standardized" USB ports they're still screwing this up.

On a side note, I'm also looking for screen protectors. Any recommendations on anti-glare vs other choices?

the power adapter not working is probably a voltage issue, what does your DC-USB adapter put out? if its lower than what the D4 consumes, its not going to charge it.

as for screen protectors... i personally do not see the point. never had one on my OG or my DX and neither have any scratches on them.

Reactions: bluebanzai

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
No, not a voltage issue. Just that the old adapter was too dumb. (Dumb ones simply provide +5V on the USB power lines. Lots of devices these days require an actual USB protocol handshake before they will turn on their charge circuits. My Motorola KRZR was the first phone I had like this. My Sony MiniDisc too.)
I bought a couple of new ones, they work fine. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=228256702&sellerid=14803920

I now have the LapDock500 too, my work paid for that. Haven't played with it much. It feels quite heavy for a 14" laptop. And I need to write a custom rule for Droidwall, to allow the webtop software to have network access. Right now with Droidwall enabled I can't make it do much at all.

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
I use an exogear generic mount in the car with an old motorola droid 1 charging cord. I froze motorola's horrible excuse for a car home and replaced it with the stock one. When I get in the car, I just clip my phone in, connect the charger, and click the car home icon. I have it set up with exactly the apps I want, including a screen with Pandora, Grooveshark, and my equalizer app, and another screen with short cuts to navigate to my apartment and home.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm surprisingly happy with the Motorola dock and car mount for the Droid 4. I got both from Amazon.

Motorola HD Dock: Really impressed how it can be used for phones, tables, and has an adjustable insert if you have a protective case on the phone. This particular "version" of the dock did come with a power cord, something I see complained about heavily, and now I've got a spare charger. When docking, you can put it into a special bedside mode (clock, alarm, weather, time, etc), an office mode (messaging, calls, etc), or just charge. The connections on the bottom, as well as the backplate, are completely adjustable making usable for many different models. I haven't tried any of the HDMI out stuff yet because I don't have a cable.

Motorola Vehicle Mount: Very solid construction, mountable on either your window or dash. Also has an insert to allow for the phone to fit with or without a protective case. This "version" came with the charging/audio cable (not all do, apparently) and the plug has 2 USB connections for charging 2 things at once. The phone goes into a Car Mode while in the dock (large buttons, you can see it in the picture). You can Menu > Exit out of that to get to your normal home screens, but hitting the home button takes you back to the car mode interface.

Even though these are not the cheapest options out there, for the first time I feel like I'm getting something of value for the price, as opposed to OEM crap.
    Are you able to run other apps while in car dock mode? I'm thinking mainly of Trapster, since I have a few long road trips coming up this spring/summer...
    Yes and no. The Car Home app does have a place for you to add a custom shortcut to an app, but only two or three I think. I rooted my phone and froze the Car Home app so the phone stays on the normal home screen and retains its full functionality when docked...so I'd recommend doing that.

the power adapter not working is probably a voltage issue, what does your DC-USB adapter put out? if its lower than what the D4 consumes, its not going to charge it.

as for screen protectors... i personally do not see the point. never had one on my OG or my DX and neither have any scratches on them.