Another non-root request.. GenieWidget...

Search This thread

ilanad

Jun 28, 2008
Back over in the Dream section, someone got an earlier (pre Nexus) verison of the GenieWidget going on the Dream... then someone else posted a shot of a transparent version ...

ax0847.png

But no one ever followed up on it. Could some genius and incredibly talented person (puts smoke machine away) cook this up for the Nexus? Replaces the existing one or "Clear News & Weather"???

Casao

Jul 1, 2006
Back over in the Dream section, someone got an earlier (pre Nexus) verison of the GenieWidget going on the Dream... then someone else posted a shot of a transparent version ...

ax0847.png

But no one ever followed up on it. Could some genius and incredibly talented person (puts smoke machine away) cook this up for the Nexus? Replaces the existing one or "Clear News & Weather"???

Replacing the existing one without root is impossible, I'm not sure how much it would take to make a separate APK that coexists, but it's as simple as editing a .png file.

It should be easily doable with Metamorph, if/when it works with the Nexus One/2.1

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
Its insanely easy with root access. Doubt anything can be done easily without root access.

carnegie0107

Jul 26, 2009
Springytown
It might work without root. Just open up the .apk (from a system dump somewhere), and edit the .png's to be transparent. Then repack the .apk, and try installing it with Astro. I doubt it will work, being that it's a system app... but hey, give it a shot.

Is the one on your screenshot from a metamorph theme? If it is, link me to it, and if I have any time soon I will see about theming the one for the Nexus (not the Dream port) with the same .png's, and upload it here.

ilanad

Jun 28, 2008
Its insanely easy with root access. Doubt anything can be done easily without root access.

I wasn't sure, was thinking the way Google Maps got replaced by the new version in the market.. but a different name would work, just a second one (we gots a little ram to play with now).

ilanad

Jun 28, 2008
Is the one on your screenshot from a metamorph theme? If it is, link me to it, and if I have any time soon I will see about theming the one for the Nexus (not the Dream port) with the same .png's, and upload it here.
No idea, the person that posted the screenshot it never responded with people asked for it.

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
To get the transparent background, just open up the .apk, go to the drawable-hdpi folder, and make the 3 appwidget_dark_by.9.png transparent. At least I think that is the name of them. To install on /data/app/ it will have to be resigned and I still don't know if it will install to there with you still having the one in system/app/ because you can't rm it without root access.

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
the one that worked for the mt3g probably will not replace the images on the n1 because for the mt3g the widget background images are in drawable-mdpi, not hdpi. also, the easiest (well if you are comforable with adb) way to install is
adb remount
adb push AppName.apk /system/app/AppName.apk