[Q] Worth upgrading to NF4? What's new?

Search This thread

Rick7C2

Sep 5, 2008
I currently have NB4.

What's new in NF4? I know it has the VoLTE but that's not in my area so nothing for me(yet).

Are there any improvements?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is. What are the pros and con's of upgrading from NB4 to NF4?

I also run w03 slimkat. Is it compatible? It shows its compatible with 4.4 BL. Just not sure if that's updated to include NF4 BL.

thanks and sorry for being a noob.

re: nf4 update

I currently have NB4.

What's new in NF4? I know it has the VoLTE but that's not in my area so nothing for me(yet).

Are there any improvements?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is. What are the pros and con's of upgrading from NB4 to NF4?

I also run w03 slimkat. Is it compatible? It shows its compatible with 4.4 BL. Just not sure if that's updated to include NF4 BL.

thanks and sorry for being a noob.

I have no idea as to what exactly is "new" in NF4 but take it from me,
if there wasn't any improvements then why would Samsung waste their
time, money and effort with the NF4 or any other future updates?

There are no "cons" to upgrading NF4 or any future official updates.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly

Of course there can be cons. Thats a laughable statement. Until it's reported the update is fine, you can have broken root, locked down bootloader (not as likely on T-Mobile) a bad build that causes bad battery drain. You must be new to the phone rooting and roming world to say "There are no "cons" to upgrading NF4 or any future official updates"

Rick7C2

Sep 5, 2008
I don't want any fights started. Please keep it casual.

With that being said. Yes there can be some pros and con's.

Like I said before I know that it includes VoLTE. That's the main feature. However That is not available in my area.

What I would like to know. Is there better internet connectivity? How's battery life. My biggest problem with T-Mobile in my area is it keeps dropping from H+ to 3G. 3G and below are like being in airplane mode. I end up having to disconnect and reconnect to get H+ back. Does NF4 fix this? If not Is there any tricks/mods to help with this issue. Or is it just ****ty network in my area?

and again I will continue to use W03 SlimKat. currently running V23 waiting on V25.

I'm looking for people who have personally updated there phone to NF4 and can give me details on how well its running.

Thanks

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I don't want any fights started. Please keep it casual.

With that being said. Yes there can be some pros and con's.

Like I said before I know that it includes VoLTE. That's the main feature. However That is not available in my area.

What I would like to know. Is there better internet connectivity? How's battery life. My biggest problem with T-Mobile in my area is it keeps dropping from H+ to 3G. 3G and below are like being in airplane mode. I end up having to disconnect and reconnect to get H+ back. Does NF4 fix this? If not Is there any tricks/mods to help with this issue. Or is it just ****ty network in my area?

and again I will continue to use W03 SlimKat. currently running V23 waiting on V25.

I'm looking for people who have personally updated there phone to NF4 and can give me details on how well its running.

Thanks

For me, battery performance increased noticeably and it seems like connectivity is better. At my house it used to always switch from 4glte to 4g and since the update it holds the lte connection better. Sunday morning there was a quake in the bay area and since then data has been weird. ..but up to that things where just buzzing along. I came from NB4 and like i said i noticed worthy improvements.

***BTW i did a full wipe in recovery, powered down, pulled battery, booted into download mode and odin'd the full firmware file, everything except External SD.

Last edited:

Rick7C2

Sep 5, 2008
For me, battery performance increased noticeably and it seems like connectivity is better. At my house it used to always switch from 4glte to 4g and since the update it holds the lte connection better. Sunday morning there was a quake in the bay area and since then data has been weird. ..but up to that things where just buzzing along. I came from NB4 and like i said i noticed worthy improvements.

***BTW i did a full wipe in recovery, powered down, pulled battery, booted into download mode and odin'd the full firmware file, everything except External SD.

Thanks, Based on this information I have decided to go ahead and update to NF4. Running W03 SlimKat V24 sofar so good. Once Google gets done restoring my apps I will turn off WiFi and update this thread with my findings.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I know many people claim better battery life after updating to 4.4, but I don't see it. I just updated about a week ago from 4.3 (MI7) to 4.4 (NF4) and battery life is similar at best, but mostly worse.Not only that, but charging also takes much longer. Normally my battery would fully charge in about 2.5 hours, but couple nights ago it took 5 hours to go from 10% to 82%. I went back to sleep and finally was fully charged after additional 3 hours, but then as soon as I turn it on, went down to 97%. I never seen that before. I run 0228 code and discharged to 0 and then back to 100%, so hopefully that will calibrate battery better, but still just last night phone was at 100% before sleep and in the morning down to 80%. Normally on 4.3 I would loose 3% to 4% overnight. I just hope it's temporary and will improve after settling down, otherwise i will need to run some serious diagnostics and fix it. Antutu also seem slower, last time I run it on 4.3 I got 37083, under 4.4 I barely got 35000.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I know many people claim better battery life after updating to 4.4, but I don't see it. I just updated about a week ago from 4.3 (MI7) to 4.4 (NF4) and battery life is similar at best, but mostly worse.Not only that, but charging also takes much longer. Normally my battery would fully charge in about 2.5 hours, but couple nights ago it took 5 hours to go from 10% to 82%. I went back to sleep and finally was fully charged after additional 3 hours, but then as soon as I turn it on, went down to 97%. I never seen that before. I run 0228 code and discharged to 0 and then back to 100%, so hopefully that will calibrate battery better, but still just last night phone was at 100% before sleep and in the morning down to 80%. Normally on 4.3 I would loose 3% to 4% overnight. I just hope it's temporary and will improve after settling down, otherwise i will need to run some serious diagnostics and fix it. Antutu also seem slower, last time I run it on 4.3 I got 37083, under 4.4 I barely got 35000.

Not my experience at all. Battery drops maybe 2-3% overnight. Stays at 100% longer than it had and charges plenty fast from 1% to 100% way under 5 hrs, but i never really timed it yet i can say it was under 3 hrs and i remember being surprised at how quickly it got to 80' something percent. Every month or so I run my phone down to 1% just to help the battery cause I'm usually on a charger and rarely get below 50%. Maybe a good wiping might tune things up for you.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Not my experience at all. Battery drops maybe 2-3% overnight. Stays at 100% longer than it had and charges plenty fast from 1% to 100% way under 5 hrs, but i never really timed it yet i can say it was under 3 hrs and i remember being surprised at how quickly it got to 80' something percent. Every month or so I run my phone down to 1% just to help the battery cause I'm usually on a charger and rarely get below 50%. Maybe a good wiping might tune things up for you.

Heres some pics....stock kernel fyi

Attachments

• 1409022913137.jpg
    1409022913137.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 1409022936796.jpg
    1409022936796.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 77

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I believe you, you're not the first person claiming better battery. I don't want to wipe, too much headache to restore and settings and games in progress, also my kids are on my account, so either no automatic reinstall (BTW how do I stop it), or a lot of deleting kiddie games, already went with this process once before, not fun. Probably something simple, since I'm stock rooted and always been on my Note3.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I believe you, you're not the first person claiming better battery. I don't want to wipe, too much headache to restore and settings and games in progress, also my kids are on my account, so either no automatic reinstall (BTW how do I stop it), or a lot of deleting kiddie games, already went with this process once before, not fun. Probably something simple, since I'm stock rooted and always been on my Note3.
yup, its a coin toss.....once I saw the stability that comes with full wiping I can't not do it, stopped me from being a flashaholic. Titanium Backup can backup/restore your apps but settings/shortcuts/widgets etc have to all be set back up....I take screen shots of all my home screens to aid the process of getting back to normalcy....gotta weigh the pros and cons

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
What code is this? I don't see it among the list of "secret" codes entered for Samsung devices.

it shows battery info, also there is a button on bottom, if pressed it changes battery charge level, so it was speculated it does some quick recalibration, but as with all other codes no one knows for sure. Sure this is in some secret code lists, but i don't think there is a list that have them all, otherwise they wouldn't be secret anymore. LOL
There were few threads about this code in past, but i don't remember where now.

Rick7C2

Sep 5, 2008
Well sofar everything is great. Network still gets stuck in 3G and I have to airplane mode to get H+ again. However it seems like its not doing this as often.

Better life is the same which is good because battery life was awesome before the update.

I will update if anything changes.

XiphoneUzer

Nov 30, 2013
Of course there can be cons. Thats a laughable statement. Until it's reported the update is fine, you can have broken root, locked down bootloader (not as likely on T-Mobile) a bad build that causes bad battery drain. You must be new to the phone rooting and roming world to say "There are no "cons" to upgrading NF4 or any future official updates"

That is exactly why I froze my updater and stayed on jb4.3.
Now that KK has been out for a while and should have bugs fixed, what are the pros for updating from jb to kk?

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I didn't update for long time mostly because of SD card issues, which could be fixed, but needed root, but again, root would trip knox. Now that we can root without breaking knox, I finally updated. Personally didn't see much: people claimed better battery, for me is little worse, many claimed faster snappier response, I don't see that either, on the other hand, so far haven't seen any SD card issues neither, so didn't even need the fix yet. One advantage, I already made my first VOLTE, so it works and it's on in my area and you need KitKat for that.
Add to this probably few security fixes and some tweaks under the hood and probably that's it. IMO, the update did not fix any issues for me, except wifi calling that broke recently, but I didn't have any other issues as well, but at the same time the update didn't break anything major either, so it's pretty much wash, unless you need VOLTE.
Note 4 comes out in few weeks, so that was my backup plan in case update was messed up, but as it is Note4 needs to win my heart on it's own merits.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.