Password Protect ADB?

Search This thread

MartinFick

Mar 12, 2009
Boulder, CO
www.theficks.name
Has anyone thought about implementing password protection to the G1's adb interface? If someone finds (steals) your phone, it' seems like they can get easy access to your data using adb if it is enabled? Instead of forcing the default to adb-debug disabled, it seems like requiring a password would be more useful?

I realize that this might be risky since it might prevent recovery when the password is forgotten, but at that point, there is still the "wipe all my data" unlock method right?

Without this, I find it hard to trust any sensitive data to my phone (since I do not want to toggle adb on/off constantly).

Perrosky

Jun 23, 2007
I agree with you any one who find our g1 or steal it, can find easy in the internet how to use adb, or they can even find out how you can do a wipe if you turn the phone off and start the phone using Home+Power button. And they will be good to go to use the G1. I hope someone can add a password protection to this 2 options.

MartinFick

Mar 12, 2009
Boulder, CO
www.theficks.name
I guess it might be nice to add a password option to the "wipe" option, but that seems like it would sorta defeat the purpose then, wouldn't it?

I am more concerned about my data than the device itself. If someone steals my phone and they can't use it, it doesn't really help me. But, if I can at least prevent them from reading my data... I envision using my phone as a secure token to access various logins at some point (anyone want to code that up? :). So, I just want to ensure that they cannot get any keys/passwords on it.

The other problem with preventing someone from wiping it is, "what do you do if you forget your own password"? I would prefer to let the thief use the phone (without my data) than to potentially brick the phone for myself. Lastly, locking it permanently off to thieves would not be a deterrent to theft unless every phone did it since they would not know about it until they stole your phone!

I am surprised that the "serious" hackers have not implemented adb protection yet, have they?

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Yea its kinda a good and bad thing tho. Look at it like this .
You put the password on your phone to stop people from doing anything to it, then you forgot your password, how do you get back in? You cant. Unless you have a way around that which if you have a way around that the thief would to.

The only thing i would like is to be able to protect files so if you lost your phone someone wouldn't be able to get into it without wiping the phone.

Perrosky

Jun 23, 2007
Yea its kinda a good and bad thing tho. Look at it like this .
You put the password on your phone to stop people from doing anything to it, then you forgot your password, how do you get back in? You cant. Unless you have a way around that which if you have a way around that the thief would to.

The only thing i would like is to be able to protect files so if you lost your phone someone wouldn't be able to get into it without wiping the phone.

I agree with you and at the same time don't (right now I don't put personal files in my sd for that very reason if I lost the phone anyone can see what I have on the sd) regarding to the password I guess that it will be up to the people if you know that you forget passwords just don't use it I personally use 2 password 1 for forum 6 letter something simple and easy to remember, and one for (very important stuffs) 12 characteres letters and numbers. Plus I thing that everyone in that will be using this are people to frequent this forum wich I don't think they tend to forget passwords.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
In order to gain access to program data (not applicable to sdcard), you still need to be either root, or to possess the userid of the particular program whose data you're trying to gain access to. Use of one of those secure-root password prompt programs will give you the ability to limit root access since the 'su' command will fail without the password being entered in the GUI.

This is not absolute though, since you can still boot on a recovery image, backup, and extract. Without actually encrypting the storage, there is no way to absolutely protect your data, and with a mobile device, the encryption/decryption overhead will take up too much CPU time to be practical. It could, however, be implemented on a program-by-program basis or on a data-but-not-program basis, i.e. encrypt /data/data, or /data/data-enc might be a better idea - leave data for user-programs encrypted, but system-services unencrypted, and mount the encrypted partition on screen unlock (i.e. password unlock). LUKS would be great for this. Allowing optional encryption for SD-card and allowing multiple SD-card partitions to be mounted (i.e. one encrypted, one not) would be ideal.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Of course not. Bootloader passwords are virtually useless. All they do is stop you from booting, they do nothing at all to protect your data except from a real amateur, the likes of whom wouldn't be able to get your data off the thing even WITH root access.

As long as there is unencrypted data stored on the device, it definitely can be read off.

MartinFick

Mar 12, 2009
Boulder, CO
www.theficks.name
Could you please explain why you believe that a bootloader password would not work?

In other words, if a user is locked out from performing commands via the screen without the appropriate gesture, locked out from using adb without a password, and they cannot boot into the recovery image (or access NVRAM with fastboot) without a password, how can they access data on the internal NVRAM? I am not saying they can't (I don't know), I am asking what method you think they could use? Can the NVRAM be easily removed and plugged into another device and read? Are there other boot methods that I am not aware of (likely, I am fairly new to this) that would allow them to access the data? Or, are you just assuming that there is a method that an intelligent cracker could use?

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
1) you can use fastboot to boot off a recovery image file that is NOT ON THE PHONE,
2) you can connect directly to the chip and read its contents.
etc.

Keep in mind the way that bootloader passwords work; the password is NOT embedded in the bootloader - that would be stupid since you risk bricking the device every time you change the password. A password protected bootloader will access some configuration file that will have the details of the password. Fastboot would (and must) come before this stage.

MartinFick

Mar 12, 2009
Boulder, CO
www.theficks.name
It seems like you are pretty much just repeating/rewording the weaknesses already pointed out? I am not trying to be rude, if you do have some extra info, or there is something subtle that I am missing, please accept my apologies.

Specifically:

#1 should be assumed to be prevented by the bootloader password, no? Is there any reason you think this would not be effective?

As for #2, I was already asking if the NVRAM could easily be removed from the HTC? Do you have any useful info on this, on what it would take to do it? I assume this would require surface mount de-soldering?

My personal threat model would assume that my data is less valuable to a thief than my phone is. While I would prefer my data to not be easily acquired by a thief, I have nothing so secret that I would expect a thief to specifically steal my phone for it. Therefor, I assume that a thief has no incentive to destroy my phone (which he is in possession of and can use) just to get at my data. Of course, if there is an easy method to get my data (there currently are easy software methods), I would expect a thief to do so. I am hoping to close those easy software methods. If there are easy hardware methods, such as unplugging a chip or sdcard and simply inserting it into another phone, well, then perhaps the software holes are not worth plugging. But, any hardware hacks involving soldering (especially surface mount soldering) the phone are beyond my desire to foil.

Again, that is my personal objective, I understand if you do not share it. Can you think of any additional info that might be valuable with this in mind?

Thanks!

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
#1 should be assumed to be prevented by the bootloader password, no? Is there any reason you think this would not be effective?
No, bootloader password won't help you here, and I already explained why.

As for #2, I was already asking if the NVRAM could easily be removed from the HTC? Do you have any useful info on this, on what it would take to do it? I assume this would require surface mount de-soldering?
Sure, thats one way. The other way is by whatever mechanism HTC uses to initially write the bootloader to the device. I haven't looked, but there is probably a jtag port or something similar on it somewhere.

My personal threat model would assume that my data is less valuable to a thief than my phone is. While I would prefer my data to not be easily acquired by a thief, I have nothing so secret that I would expect a thief to specifically steal my phone for it. Therefor, I assume that a thief has no incentive to destroy my phone (which he is in possession of and can use) just to get at my data. Of course, if there is an easy method to get my data (there currently are easy software methods), I would expect a thief to do so. I am hoping to close those easy software methods. If there are easy hardware methods, such as unplugging a chip or sdcard and simply inserting it into another phone, well, then perhaps the software holes are not worth plugging. But, any hardware hacks involving soldering (especially surface mount soldering) the phone are beyond my desire to foil.

Again, that is my personal objective, I understand if you do not share it. Can you think of any additional info that might be valuable with this in mind?
Unfortunately, even if it were possible, securing it against that possibility isn't going to help you since the thief doesn't know that its worthless to him. He'll steal it anyways, and then garbage it when it turns out to be useless to him.

MartinFick

Mar 12, 2009
Boulder, CO
www.theficks.name

Uh, no you didn't. You rambled on about the password being in some config file and therefore assumed that it would not be possible or desirable to actually implement a proper bootloader password. I do not accept this criticism, people reflash their bootloaders all the time and it is up to them to determine the level of "brick risk" they want. Perhaps you don't like it, that doesn't make things impossible.

As for putting the password in a config file somewhere, it is not the only solution, one could easily create a separate tiny partition just for the password if you did not want to put FS reading code into the bootloader. (That was your point, right? That the bootloader is simple and cannot read a filesystem?) Surely the bootloader knows how to read partitions, or how would it be able to boot the kernel? With this you could reduce most "brick risk" by providing a "boot from external kernel for recovery after wiping the partitions" option.

And, finally, perhaps there is some other minimal byte storage on the HTC Dream where a password could be easily stored? Something analogous to the CMOS of a PC, something the bootloader could easily read/write to change the password?

Sure, thats one way. The other way is by whatever mechanism HTC uses to initially write the bootloader to the device. I haven't looked, but there is probably a jtag port or something similar on it somewhere.

Valid concern, easy for someone with the right tools, and some very specialized expertise perhaps. I would be plenty happy to foil all thiefs who do not own such tools or have such knowledge, I believe those are the ones likely to steal my phone.

Unfortunately, even if it were possible, securing it against that possibility isn't going to help you since the thief doesn't know that its worthless to him. He'll steal it anyways, and then garbage it when it turns out to be useless to him.

Why is not going to help me? If he can't get my data (easily without desoldering), it helps me. I agree and already pointed out that it would not be a deterrent. Nowhere in my objective did deterrence come up.

You make some good points, points that are worthy of serious consideration for anyone attempting to implement this, but I would say that your points hardly make it impossible, in fact, they illustrate very well what a designer would need to consider! Thanks! :)

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
I never said that *anything* was impossible. I simply pointed out that IF the password was compiled into the bootloader, then THAT would be extremely dangerous since rather than trying out a tried and true bootloader, every change of password would be a serious brick-risk.

Regarding partition vs file, there is no difference. A partition *IS* a file in a very simple filesystem -- that which we refer to as a "partition table". As such, the risk is identical. I certainly did not suggest that a bootloader is incapable of reading a filesystem, the reverse is in fact, and MUST be true, since if the bootloader couldn't read the filesystem, then how is it to load something that is stored on said filesystem? The point is that if the filesystem were in some manner corrupted, overwritten, updated, etc., then so is your ability to boot the system PERMANENTLY, unless you maintain fastboot prior to the password, in which case it is trivial to boot off a different system image anyways, or unless you go to hardware level to unbrick the device, the same approach, of course, could be used by someone else to gain access.

Oh, and when you say "My personal threat model would assume that my data is less valuable to a thief than my phone is.", that suggests that your priorities are hardware first and then data.

I still say that the most feasible approach to this is selective encryption. Keep the important data from being accessed and not worry about the hardware, since there is no technical way to make it undesirable to a thief except, of course, to make it real ugly. Pack the thing into an old-style Palm case. Take a look into LUKS. It could *definitely* be made to work and is probably easier than you think. What you would have to do is first install support for it at the system level (that might require that you rebuild the kernel), encrypt a partition on the SDCARD with it, and link password, mount, and unmount into the lock screen. Once thats done, you just move and symlink important data onto the encrypted partition. For that matter, you don't even need to automate it with the lock screen, you can just write an app to password, mount, and unmount, or even run it from the terminal. Yes, this is just a linux device. This approach is barely more than trivial.

MartinFick

Mar 12, 2009
Boulder, CO
www.theficks.name
I never said that *anything* was impossible.

Sorry, the sentence below sounded like you were implying that it is was impossible.

Oh, and when you say "My personal threat model would assume that my data is less valuable to a thief than my phone is.", that suggests that your priorities are hardware first and then data.

No, it suggests that those are the priorties of the thief. I don't believe a thief would steal my phone for its data. I accept that it can be stolen easily or that I might simply leave it on a table in a restaurant or something. At that point I would simply prefer that no one be able to easily snoop my personal affairs. Currently it is VERY easy. I had adb access to my phone before even using the screen, (I needed to register via wifi), it really is simple, it takes little expertise.

Regarding partition vs file, there is no difference. A partition *IS* a file in a very simple filesystem -- that which we refer to as a "partition table". As such, the risk is identical. I certainly did not suggest that a bootloader is incapable of reading a filesystem, the reverse is in fact, and MUST be true, since if the bootloader couldn't read the filesystem, then how is it to load something that is stored on said filesystem?

Call it what you will, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Many bootloaders do not understand the filesystem they load from, they simply get a pre-created list of the disk blocks to load a kernel from and then load them and execute them.

The point is that if the filesystem were in some manner corrupted, overwritten, updated, etc., then so is your ability to boot the system PERMANENTLY, unless you maintain fastboot prior to the password, in which case it is trivial to boot off a different system image anyways, or unless you go to hardware level to unbrick the device, the same approach, of course, could be used by someone else to gain access.

For someone who seems to understand things well, you seem to willingly miss important points already mentioned:
With this you could reduce most "brick risk" by providing a "boot from external kernel for recovery after wiping the partitions" option.

You encryption points are well taken, they probably would be simple to implement, however they would likely have a significant performance impact.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
You encryption points are well taken, they probably would be simple to implement, however they would likely have a significant performance impact.
Only if you're encrypting everything (i.e. programs). There is no reason to encrypt everything -- just encrypt the data you want to protect. There is no reason to bother encrypting apps that you install or the operating system since this is all available elsewhere. If you have private documents, emails, etc., keep those encrypted. The performance impact will be negligible since these files will be fairly small.