[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

Narathan

Dec 24, 2010
Just wanted to pop in and give my thanks. I l really enjoy this app!

And hopefully you can support the wide tiles eventually. But honestly can't complain, love the program. Don't understand why MS didn't implement this kind of option at the start!

kennethso168

Jan 2, 2012
Hong Kong
Hey that's just awesome. Thank you so much!! :)
But you should tell me earlier that your program has a manager with pre-set tiles in the Quick List section...:p

Anyway you may also like to add this to the Quick List
Code:
All apps/Search
C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
That will save people from right clicking while on the start menu.

Reactions: Bec07 and ezio84

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Merry Christmas to you all

Don't understand why MS didn't implement this kind of option at the start!
Well, the most plausible is to keep the Desktop Applications "different" from Windows Store Apps, to easily identify those, in part is a good thing, but, they would have put this based on the User choice.

Hey that's just awesome. Thank you so much!! :)
But you should tell me earlier that your program has a manager with pre-set tiles in the Quick List section...:p
Sorry :eek:

you may also like to add this to the Quick List
Code:
All apps/Search
C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
That will save people from right clicking while on the start menu.
Will be done with next version (no eta) :highfive:

Argony

darkfanar

Sep 29, 2011
i have problem
i want tiles to be created on standard user account Oblytile create tiles on admin start screen how to make it create tiles in standard user startscreen ?

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
i have problem
i want tiles to be created on standard user account Oblytile create tiles on admin start screen how to make it create tiles in standard user startscreen ?

Please makes tiles can created on standart user
-windows 8 profesional

Hello

To create tiles on standard users follow those steps:

1)Create a folder called OblyTile inside the Program Files folder.
2)Set full control on the OblyTile folder (search on google how to do it)
3)Enjoy

Argony

Reactions: darkfanar

Bec07

Aug 13, 2010
Will be done with next version (no eta) :highfive:

Argony

Could you make it so that it takes us to All Apps without search? I can't find a way to do it without search.

Also could you implement a way to export settings, so If I were to re-install or get a new pc I could one-click restore the shortcuts Microsoft forgot about.

Thanks for this great app!:good:

trashbytes

Oct 15, 2010
plus.google.com
+1 for exporting tiles!
Maybe something like a zip file with .obly as ending where all the images and .lnks and .vbss are stored.

Gesendet von meinem MB860 mit Tapatalk

kennethso168

Jan 2, 2012
Hong Kong
Could you make it so that it takes us to All Apps without search? I can't find a way to do it without search.

It may be very tough though. The shortcut for all apps with search was accidentally discovered by some guys playing with the Windows+X menu. Unless we can discover the correct shortcut by luck or try out the correct code with brute force, there's no way to make a shortcut to all apps without search.

criticalfungus

Dec 21, 2009
First of all thanks for the great app.

Was just wondering if its possible to add a random background colour tick box?

Most of the tiles I've made use a full size PNG background but when I zoom out they're typically all blue backgrounds, I can obviously change it each time but was hoping it might be easy to implement.

Cheers :)

Dale

Jonny9797

May 22, 2009
Hopefully I am missing something pretty easy, but I can't seem to get the tiles to show the images. Everything just shows the run command icon. Rebuilding the cache doesn't help, and neither does rebooting. I have tried both custom tiles with images and some of the built-in ones. I have searched around and haven't found anything that helped me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Also could you implement a way to export settings, so If I were to re-install or get a new pc I could one-click restore the shortcuts Microsoft forgot about.
It may be hard to do, i will give it a try.

+1 for exporting tiles!
Maybe something like a zip file with .obly as ending where all the images and .lnks and .vbs are stored.
By now the export function will create some .xml files and image folder, to import, you must select a folder that contains the xml files and image folder, all tiles of that folder will be imported.

Was just wondering if its possible to add a random background colour tick box?
I will add this function on the next release. Thanks for the suggestion :good:

Hopefully I am missing something pretty easy, but I can't seem to get the tiles to show the images. Everything just shows the run command icon. Rebuilding the cache doesn't help, and neither does rebooting. I have tried both custom tiles with images and some of the built-in ones. I have searched around and haven't found anything that helped me. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Try this Possible Fix

Argony

Reactions: Jonny9797

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
Generic tiles / icons all the time now??

Hello guys

EDIT
it works to make IE default browser then go back to Chrome... but its quite wierd, when you are in chrome and choose to make it default again, Win8 pops up a requester asking do you want to KEEP opening this kind of file with IE or Firefox - no option for Chrome. Odd. I just escaped and now things seem normal, I hope...

Tx

ORIGINAL POST:
I just made a youtube video to show newbies how to use OblyTile, but now I have messed something up and ALL my new tiles look like the generic icon.

I had moved the OblyTile folder from c:/program files to the desktop so I could show users how to install it into the Program Files folder... but now this seems to have messed things up a lot, even after putting it back! I think it was because I had created some new Tiles when in the new installation, then when I copied the old folder back it corrupted things.

Is there a way to clean it up so I can start again? Is it a matter of cleaning out the registry of OblyTile references, and if so, do you know what exactly I should be deleting?

Thanks again for the great app, ironic I spent 6 hours today making the video and now have buggered my tiles ;)

Tx
Mark

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Hi

Try this:
1) Set Internet Explorer as predefinite browser
2) Open OblyTile and press the Rebuild Cache button (second on top)
3) Set your favorite browser as predefinite
4) Open OblyTile again and press the Rebuild Cache button again.

Hope this helps

Argony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argony-OT

naossoan

Jan 3, 2009
Can someone please tell me how to make a shortcut for Task Manager, the Run box....

There were other things too but I can't remember. System related stuff like going right to the "System" window from Control Panel. That kind of stuff.

Thanks

glimmling

Jan 27, 2011
tuetenmensch.blogspot.com
Can someone please tell me how to make a shortcut for Task Manager, the Run box....

There were other things too but I can't remember. System related stuff like going right to the "System" window from Control Panel. That kind of stuff.

Thanks

Bild%20001.png

Reactions: Argony-OT

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
new tiles are blank colours, no png or Tile Name

Hi guys, sorry if this issue has been dealt with, but Ive searched the forum and cant find "blank tile" issues...

I am now creating coloured tiles without the PNG image... only the background colour shows, and the fix for the "run command icon" problem does not work.

Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers,
Mark.

Hi

Try this:
1) Set Internet Explorer as predefinite browser
2) Open OblyTile and press the Rebuild Cache button (second on top)
3) Set your favorite browser as predefinite
4) Open OblyTile again and press the Rebuild Cache button again.

Hope this helps

Argony.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
it works to make IE default browser then go back to Chrome... but its quite wierd, when you are in chrome and choose to make it default again, Win8 pops up a requester asking do you want to KEEP opening this kind of file with IE or Firefox - no option for Chrome. Odd. I just escaped and now things seem normal, I hope...
That fixed it! Thank you very much.
Hello,

I'm glad the problem is solved, and i'm also sorry for this.
There is still a lot of work to do on OblyTile to make it works with all configurations.

Hi guys, sorry if this issue has been dealt with, but Ive searched the forum and cant find "blank tile" issues...
I am now creating coloured tiles without the PNG image... only the background colour shows, and the fix for the "run command icon" problem does not work.
Is there anything else I can try?
Another user had the same problem, in his case was caused by a program called SageThumbs.
Maybe you have a similar software installed on your pc.

Hope this helps

Argony

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
Hello,
Another user had the same problem, in his case was caused by a program called SageThumbs.
Maybe you have a similar software installed on your pc.

Hope this helps

Argony

Hi Argony
Nope I don't know that one... I haven't got a lot of apps on that computer, my 4 other computers run oblytile just fine.
I've tried cleaning registry, running app from desktop, changing all permissions to be as slack as possible, deleted all icon folders in program files, but nothing seems to work.
How else I wonder?
Cheers, and by the way did you watch my YouTube video?
Mark aka fredphoesh

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Hi Argony
Nope I don't know that one... I haven't got a lot of apps on that computer, my 4 other computers run oblytile just fine.
I've tried cleaning registry, running app from desktop, changing all permissions to be as slack as possible, deleted all icon folders in program files, but nothing seems to work.
How else I wonder?
Cheers, and by the way did you watch my YouTube video?
Mark aka fredphoesh

In most of cases the "empty tile" was caused by png files bigger than 200kb, but the problem must be solved with v0.8.8 (it has an auto resize function to decrease the file dimension).
In this case, seems to be some program to go in conflict, or, maybe some screen settings (like "make everything bigger") that may cause the problem.

Hope we can find a solution, it will help me to make OblyTile more compatible.

PS: I watched the video :good: Thanks a lot!
Argony

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page