Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 v0.8.3 (project closed)

Search This thread

BellaStrange

Feb 11, 2013
Java issue on tf700 ubuntu, plus also flashplugin issue

Hi, I have an odd question. Will normal minecraft java version work on this Ubuntu? It should, but I didn't try it out yet.

Hi Legoracer69, I have tried this, see my post and oblib's response:

I am able to run Minecraft and get through the login screen, but after Done Loading, we get the dreaded black screen (see thread 2087717 on ubuntuforums [dot] org for more info -- this forum won't let me post outside links yet):

Updating the lwjgl libraries and OpenJDK6 and 7 don't help, so I found something somewhere that hinted that Oracle JRE 7 (or 6 or 8) is needed. On Oracle's Page (again can't put the link--grrr!--but it's the jre7 download page, with 1880261 in the url), I am not sure what to pick for the Linux install--x86 or x64? I thought the tf700 was neither, so not sure where to go from here. Thanks again!

You have an ARM processor, which is neither x86 nor 64. Desktop binaries will not work unless they've been compiled for ARM.

Rabits also replied in another post and said he will look into solving it. I think I found another issue like this, BTW--I can't seem to install flash plugins as they are also not compiled for ARM. Can anyone direct me otherwise? Thanks!

rtfpessoa

Dec 30, 2010
Lisbon
Using last files from your goo.im (linux-install-0.8.0.zip and rootfs-ubuntu-12.10-0.8.0.tar.lzma) all appears to be ok including wifi without dock. Awesome work you did.
Just two things:
The keyboard on login after a key press puts twice the letter i choose as reported for someone before.

And in the boot screen you removed "i" option but in the input ist still there one "i" lost.

Just two minor stuff.

Thanks again

Last edited:

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
Last edited:

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
Release 0.8.0 is here!

Thanks for your helping in testing!))

Plans for next release:
Installer - CM10.1 kernel, decrease zip size
Rootfs - move to Ubuntu 13.04

Your suggestions and wishes?

Reactions: Delforo

HotBlack77

Jul 17, 2010
Re: Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

Thanks for your helping in testing!))

Plans for next release:
Installer - CM10.1 kernel, decrease zip size
Rootfs - move to Ubuntu 13.04

Your suggestions and wishes?

That already sounds pretty amazing. :)
I will be happy to test the CM10.1 kernel.

snypa

Nov 24, 2012
go the natives! ...

hey rabits , awsum work ! :good:

for others thinking of trying this it is simply amazing!
I am using cromi with d2sd and now dualbooting with ubuntu on my internal ... and pretty quick! alot quicker than i expected...
I recommend changing the scrollbars to the old ones once in but, because the new skinny ones are a ***** when you try to use the touchscreen!
ps- i don't have a dock, but if you persist you can get lucky with typing in the password! change username/password/autologin asap ... ;)

thanx:highfive:

singoutout

Sep 8, 2011

12.10. Yes, I think we need go to the future of Ubuntu 13.04 release.
If anyone wants to support 12.10 - I do not mind)) Topics-more so that the installer can setup any rootfs (not necessarily ubuntu), it is enough to prepare it.

How long do you think it will take before the first Ubuntu 13.04 release?

chrlop

Feb 28, 2011
pR

Hey if you don't mind cand you explain how you did it am running cromi 3.3 with data2sd and it took me for ever to set it up. I'll appreciated if list the flash order and if I don't lose my stuff. thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

snypa

Nov 24, 2012
Hey if you don't mind cand you explain how you did it am running cromi 3.3 with data2sd and it took me for ever to set it up. I'll appreciated if list the flash order and if I don't lose my stuff. thanks

1-i placed both the files on my fat32 mmcblk1p1 =MicroSD
2-Boot recovery
3-Flash the zip file - the small one ... you won't see the lzma file
4-Aroma starts
5- i selected clemsyn 1.5-1.8 and ticked d2sd option
6- it auto saw the lzma file and asked where... i selected internal mmcblk0p8 with 10GB
7- took ages .... i left it but a long time passed... 0% didn't change... i rebooted
8- noticed kernel change at boot
9- 4 penguins linux boot
10- select boot android or linux with volume ... if no input linux is default! probly should be default android
11- linux asks for password- ubuntu ... must be patient and lucky! ... no:crying:
12-cruise around! change username/password/autologin
13- use internal storage as internal storage ...

:D do backup twrp first! then can revert if no likey! only have to delete 1 file in linux folder on internal

Reactions: piatikantrop

chrlop

Feb 28, 2011
pR

1-i placed both the files on my fat32 mmcblk1p1 =MicroSD
2-Boot recovery
3-Flash the zip file - the small one ... you won't see the lzma file
4-Aroma starts
5- i selected clemsyn 1.5-1.8 and ticked d2sd option
6- it auto saw the lzma file and asked where... i selected internal mmcblk0p8 with 10GB
7- took ages .... i left it but a long time passed... 0% didn't change... i rebooted
8- noticed kernel change at boot
9- 4 penguins linux boot
10- select boot android or linux with volume ... if no input linux is default! probly should be default android
11- linux asks for password- ubuntu ... must be patient and lucky! ... no:crying:
12-cruise around! change username/password/autologin
13- use internal storage as internal storage ...

:D do backup twrp first! then can revert if no likey! only have to delete 1 file in linux folder on internal

Ok I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks

ariadnejro

Apr 3, 2008
Xiaomi Poco F3

Ubuntu is working great on my data2sd Infinity. I've installed xfce and everything seems to be running fast and smooth.
My only issue is that the files cpu1.sh to cpu3.sh weren't copied to /etc during the installation process and the three speed modes weren't working as expected. I had to copy the files manually and give them the correct permissions.
As a suggestion, in the next revision of the installer you could try to include Hundsbuah's new kernels. They include new governors like pegasusq that seem to work very well with our quad core Infinity.

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
How long do you think it will take before the first Ubuntu 13.04 release?
Nonono! No more deadline pressure!)) It will be released when I prepare it.
My only issue is that the files cpu1.sh to cpu3.sh weren't copied to /etc during the installation process and the three speed modes weren't working as expected.
No install log - no issue. I can't solve issue if I do not have additional info.
As a suggestion, in the next revision of the installer you could try to include Hundsbuah's new kernels. They include new governors like pegasusq that seem to work very well with our quad core Infinity.
Ok, thanx for the info. I'll take a look.
Is there any way to disable desktop switching by touching the borders of the screen? its very anoying
Go to compiz configuration, then cube desktop params - and disable first option.

Last edited:

rtfpessoa

Dec 30, 2010
Lisbon
I'm using eclipse and i think it uses a lot of memory. When i try to add any plugin or just update it the app auto closes it self probably because has no memory or some other ressource left. @rabits can you take a look to se if is there any workaround to make this work?

i found this on my user folder: pastebin.com/PyXtgb6R not sure if its related.

Last edited:

bmlarson

Jan 26, 2013
Fort Collins
OnePlus 6
For me, almost everything is working great! The only things I would like would be: automatic screen brightness and working bluetooth. It isn't a huge deal that those things work, but if it is doable, it would be really cool. I have had a few weird lag spikes where I had to reboot, but those seem to be gone now. Thanks for all your hard work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, Guys

Currently I'm working on preparing Linux boot and rootfs image for tf700 device.
    Project is based on Nexus 7 Ubuntu installer, Linaro distribution and Hundsbuah kernel.

Release version 0.8.3

Developers thread is here

Warning!
    • You can brick your device or loose all your data. I'm not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Please, be careful.
    • This manual has been prepared for the advanced users. You are an advanced user?
      • You have linux experience
      • If there is a problem - you contact support and provide all the necessary information (devices info, steps to reproduce, logs)
    • Please, change password for ubuntu user at first login. Default password is "ubuntu".

Components:
    This system consists of several components:

Installer (v0.8.3)
    - is standart Android ZIP update file with Aroma interface.
    Features:
    • Pretty simple touch interface
    • Installing and usage Linux without a keyboard or dock
    • Detailed localization of install process (rus, eng)
    • Any device to install rootfs (usb media, sdcards or internal virtual disk file)
    • You can skip rootfs preparation and install only bootimage (if dualboot has been replaced by another installation)
    • Data2sd option supported
    • Use android /data partition as /home directory for users
    • Autobackup of old virtual rootfs image file and ubuntu user
    • Select boot priority - you can select default system to boot (Basic or Linux)
    Next release features:
    • Review of initrd options scheme
    • Install additional system to directory
    • Rootfs archive finder search maxdepth 3
    • Save log into internal memory
    attachment.php

Bootimage (v0.8.3)
    - contains Linux kernel (zImage) and initial ramdisk (initramfs). It is created during installation and stored in a special LNX partition on your device.
    Features:
    • Support of many basic systems - Android (CleanROMv3.x, CleanROMv3.x+Data2SD, CM10.x) and Ubuntu-Touch
    • Any media booting - you can boot SDcard, microSD or usbdisk
    • Virtual Disk multiboot - possible to select need virtual disk (up to 9)
    • Android & Ubuntu-Touch booting - can boot android system init from media or virtual disks
    • File system checker - before mounting filesystem should be checked by fsck.
    • Hundsbuah kernel - v2.1 optimized kernel
    Next release features:
    • Support for 4.2 android (CleanROMv4.x)
    • Run additional system from directory
    attachment.php

RootFS archive
    - compressed tar archive with root file system of OS. It is unpacked during installation to a prepared ext4 filesystem (in file or media device).
    • Ubuntu 12.10 (v0.8.0)
      Archive contain prepared Ubuntu 12.10 environment with last updates, based on Unity (3d) with Cube Desktop. You can install any software (like lxdm or xfce) to improve desktop performance, but (for now) only Unity will be supported.
      Features:
      • Pad-mode - you can use your device as pad without dock
      • Keyboard remapping - Special keys is replaced to default (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) by evdev keymap.
      • WiFi - You can connect to internet or lan through wifi
      • Touchpad 2 fingers scrolling - Move 2 fingers up-down to scrolling. 2 finger tap - is mouse 3rd button.
      • Touchscreen - Supports right click by touch one finger and click by second finger.
      • OpenGL ES - 3D, games (eduke32, Jagged Alliance 2) and nice browsing by Chromium
      • Audio and Video up to 1080p - Use nvgstplayer to HW decoding FullHD video
        • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
        • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
      Problems:
      • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
      • Going to suspend is freezing device
      • HDMI FullHD is not working (but HD is ok)
      • Bluetooth not working
      • Disable speaker if headphones connected
      • Totem is not support nvidia gstreamer plugins
      • No flash player - only HTML5
      • Skype and any proprietary software (we need ARM binary, not x86)
    • Ubuntu-Touch preview (v0.5.2 2013/03/25)
      Features:
      • Smooth touch interface
      • WiFi support (fixed)
      • Frontal Camera
    • Ubuntu 13.04 - development
      First release features:
      • Packages for specific tf700t and tegra3 components (tf700 ppa)
      • Wayland + Weston + libhybris optional support

Install Manual:
    For now installation is very simple)) No console operations needed!

Requirements:
    • Access to recovery & zip upgrade
    • > 3Gb free space in tf700 /sdcard folder or external storage
    Process:
    1. Get linux-install-0.8.3.zip (12 Mb), (mirror) MD5: 46e458791d232dafa7df49a7b506beca
    2. Get need rootfs:
    3. Copy linux-install-*.zip and rootfs-*.tar.lzma to your SDcard or /sdcard on your tf700
    4. Reboot to recovery mode
    5. Run linux-install-*.zip
    6. Next, next, next ))
    7. Wait, wait...
    8. Done, now you can reboot and see four penguins!
    9. If you have a problem with installation process - please, save install log and attach it to your help request message with good description.

Uninstall:
    Really? I feel so sad :p
    To complete uninstall multiboot & linux you need:
    • Reinstall your Android distributive or kernel part of it (this is replaces bootimage with multiboot)
    • Remove /data/media/linux directory with linux root file systems

Epilogue:
    Currently we have basic linux environment with graphics and internet. For now, Android is more friendly to the user on a Tablet PC, but we can tilt the balance to Ubuntu advantage.

If you have any question about usage - please, post it here.
    Sorry, guys, at the moment I do not have much time for supporting. All general ubuntu questions - please search in google (such as mounting sdcard, etc.).
    I am currently working on the problems with the complete installation by Aroma, migrate to Ubuntu Raring 13.04, problem of the font size, correcting of keyboard keymap, problem with suspend to RAM, totem HW video decoding...

Next release (0.8.0) will be released in near 2 weeks.
    Ubuntu Touch

So, I have some news:
    • I will prepare Ubuntu Touch tar-archive for my updated 0.8.1 installer & bootloader at this weekend)) This is really interesting and good experience! Ubuntu based on low-level android binaries - this is a very interesting solution, which is a clear way in the future.
    • Also I change my basic Android from CROMI to CM.
    Really appreciate you effort! Why not post this in the developers forum, where you might get some good inputs from other brainy people like yourself. :eek:
    I would like to prepare this howto (after stabilization and fixing minor bugs) for general users. But thanx for you response - brainy people do not come here?
    How does this vary from the other Ubuntu effort? Why not combine resources?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1988170

That would be great! At the moment I'm trying to run their environment using fastboot and find differences. I already sent message to jaybob413 and we try to combine our resources.