Maxx vs Moto X.

Search This thread

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Moto has offered a warranty replacement of a Maxx for my X. I know the boot sound will bother me a lot. But I thought I would ask If others may have made the same swap. I do wear an xl glove so the size increase is OK.
Are slip-proof rubber cases & screen protectors hard to get?

Last edited:

drmrjake

Nov 26, 2009
I've plated around with both and although I don't care for the droid branding....I loved the battery life... I'm actually waiting for an X swap for a maxx myself right now. I'm just bummed neither one I am able to root so far

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Moto has offered a warranty replacement of a Maxx for my X. I know the boot sound will bother me a lot. But I thought I would ask If others may have made the same swap. I do wear an xl glove so the size increase is OK.

RAZR Maxx has definitely got its niche: battery. You can also root the Maxx, I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, Google it there are tons of root methods (PC, one-click etc). I would recommend the Maxx, and AFAIK there are a good amount of accessories for it. You can remove the boot sound after you root by deleting /system/media/audio/startup.ogg or the similar, you will find it in one of the sub-folders. It will be an ogg file. If you choose not to root you can still remove it by creating a flashable update.zip to remove that one file (false signed with toolkit to pass md5 check). Hope this gives some insight,

--
Say thanks if I was of help!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: aviwdoowks

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
RAZR Maxx has definitely got its niche: battery. You can also root the Maxx, I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, Google it there are tons of root methods (PC, one-click etc). I would recommend the Maxx, and AFAIK there are a good amount of accessories for it. You can remove the boot sound after you root by deleting /system/media/audio/startup.ogg or the similar, you will find it in one of the sub-folders. It will be an ogg file. If you choose not to root you can still remove it by creating a flashable update.zip to remove that one file (false signed with toolkit to pass md5 check). Hope this gives some insight,

--

Root on 422 but not 44.

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
@aarongillion63
More on the diy update.zip please? Details?
Seems it would come with the latest 4.4 so I would have no root.

Yes this method is not very published, but you can do a lot of root things with it without actually having root. My main purpose to create these was to push ad-blocking hosts files to peer's devices without having to root them. Basically, you must have the know-how knowledge on how to code updater scripts, I will not go into detail on this as there are guides.. But once you have your package lined up, you're all set to go to flash it, if you have cwm installed. Without root, you have no cwm. So that's where I learned how to fake sign those update.zips to flash thru stock. Just get signtool or better yet there's more reliable ones getting out there just Google search "update.zip signer" and before you know it you can mod all you want without even having root. One thing to note is that your bootloader must not have any signature checking on main /system partition or whatever you're modding.

Hope this helps,

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Do the latest moto's qualify?

After some research, I think so yes. Check out this article: the OP states that the KitKat zip can be flashed regardless of locked bootloader. So now as long as you can fake-sign your own zips you can mod all you want. Sometimes (a lot of times) the signing doesn't work right (and you'll read that a lot of places) but that won't hurt your device, the recovery will simply deny your update until you get it right.

Edit: I am not sure if this goes for *latest* moto's, as you put emphasis on in your post.

Whoops forgot to put in the article: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2577977

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
After some research, I think so yes. Check out this article: the OP states that the KitKat zip can be flashed regardless of locked bootloader. So now as long as you can fake-sign your own zips you can mod all you want. Sometimes (a lot of times) the signing doesn't work right (and you'll read that a lot of places) but that won't hurt your device, the recovery will simply deny your update until you get it right.

Edit: I am not sure if this goes for *latest* moto's, as you put emphasis on in your post.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

Did you mean to leave a link?
Many of us X/Ultras would love such an opportunity.

D

Darth

Chances are that either phone you get, it might be on 4.4.2 already. So if the boot loaders can't be unlocked, you won't have root for now. And if they are 4.2.2 or 4.4, you might be able to root.

Its gonna be luck of the draw.

I'd take the maxx for sure personally. Its the same phone, with a bigger screen and battery. Win win. ;)

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Chances are that either phone you get, it might be on 4.4.2 already. So if the boot loaders can't be unlocked, you won't have root for now. And if they are 4.2.2 or 4.4, you might be able to root.

Its gonna be luck of the draw.

I'd take the maxx for sure personally. Its the same phone, with a bigger screen and battery. Win win. ;)

But Vzw has to mess with 4.4 & they may mess with 4.4.2 as well.

D

Darth

But Vzw has to mess with 4.4 & they may mess with 4.4.2 as well.

You can roll the dice and hope for an X that isn't on 4.4.2.....or get the better phone.

You may end up with root on either or no root....I'd go for the phone I prefer.

Root is not essential on either. ;)

CrazyRussianXDA

Dec 29, 2010
RAZR Maxx has definitely got its niche: battery. You can also root the Maxx, I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, Google it there are tons of root methods (PC, one-click etc)

There might be tons of root method available for RAZR Maxx, but this is a forum for Droid MAXX - not RAZR - and unless you are on 4.2.2 there is no root method available for the MAXX

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

You can't, this is a classic example of someone stating what works for another device and assuming it works for every device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app

Yup

doogald

May 27, 2010

If you are about timely updates to Android, I'd stick with the X. Otherwise, the Maxx is a great phone, especially the battery life. It'll be hard to tell the difference between the X and the Maxx from a usability point of view.

The Droid sounds are so amazingly annoying, though it's good that you don't have to restart the phone all that often. It's pretty stable.

As others have said, if root is important to you, it'll probably not happen with the Maxx unless you're lucky to get it with 4.2.2 still installed. I don't care about root myself (in fact, I really don't want the phone rooted.)

Sure. If you like Zagg-style, Zagg and Skinomi make them, and Verizon sells the non-wet apply versions. I think that there are enough TPU cases that you should find something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

--

@aarongillion63
    More on the diy update.zip please? Details?
    Seems it would come with the latest 4.4 so I would have no root.

Yes this method is not very published, but you can do a lot of root things with it without actually having root. My main purpose to create these was to push ad-blocking hosts files to peer's devices without having to root them. Basically, you must have the know-how knowledge on how to code updater scripts, I will not go into detail on this as there are guides.. But once you have your package lined up, you're all set to go to flash it, if you have cwm installed. Without root, you have no cwm. So that's where I learned how to fake sign those update.zips to flash thru stock. Just get signtool or better yet there's more reliable ones getting out there just Google search "update.zip signer" and before you know it you can mod all you want without even having root. One thing to note is that your bootloader must not have any signature checking on main /system partition or whatever you're modding.

Hope this helps,

This update.zip is a moto signed ota!
    How can you jump from it to a fake signed user created one?

You can't, this is a classic example of someone stating what works for another device and assuming it works for every device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app

If you are about timely updates to Android, I'd stick with the X. Otherwise, the Maxx is a great phone, especially the battery life. It'll be hard to tell the difference between the X and the Maxx from a usability point of view.

The Droid sounds are so amazingly annoying, though it's good that you don't have to restart the phone all that often. It's pretty stable.

As others have said, if root is important to you, it'll probably not happen with the Maxx unless you're lucky to get it with 4.2.2 still installed. I don't care about root myself (in fact, I really don't want the phone rooted.)

Sure. If you like Zagg-style, Zagg and Skinomi make them, and Verizon sells the non-wet apply versions. I think that there are enough TPU cases that you should find something.