GPS (possible issue)

GPS working for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

TalynOne

Jun 25, 2007
The status of 64gb Prime shipment from Amazon was Jan 25th-30th, but all of sudden this morning I got notification it was shipped and arrives today. It's in my hands now. First time I logged into market I got a firmware update notification, I ran it and then ran google maps, got a instant lock (within 20m). My Wifi is on, will test more later.

Magnesus

Mar 7, 2011
Some small village
First time I logged into market I got a firmware update notification, I ran it and then ran google maps, got a instant lock (within 20m). My Wifi is on, will test more later.

As was said many times that kind of information means nothing. Why? Because:
1) It could be lock from router location (WiFi, not GPS),
2) Even if you get lock many people report that they lost it when moving the device (so couldn't use as car navigation).

In the thread I linked somewhere before it was mentioned that such behaviour can be caused by (software) problem with timers.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
You don't need to root to install the app. You only need root to change the server which I'm not asking you to do. Simply install the app, open it and tell me the ntp server it is connected too. Close app and then uninstall. No root required!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

The app description says root.. so, it was fair to think one needs root to install

Anyway, I installed it - and I have been able to get good results with my GPS as you can read earlier in both in and outdoor tests off cold boot - and mine says "Current Server:TextView" without root, you can get no other info. There are no settings. Just what is on the main screen.

What does your say if you think it matters?

silverwings2008

May 30, 2009
Birmingham
Mine says the same, but mine is not working! I was kind of hoping yours had a ntp server address.

Thanks for looking. It would be nice to get to the bottom of the problem.

Last edited:

smrsxn

Dec 30, 2011
You don't need to root to install the app. You only need root to change the server which I'm not asking you to do. Simply install the app, open it and tell me the ntp server it is connected too. Close app and then uninstall. No root required!

says textview.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

kennyog

Dec 22, 2011
found this

Cant post link because im too new a member, but found this on android forum.

Also just got off the phone with the ASUS Engineering department and they are aware that the backing is whats causing the issue with the GPS signal I finally got to speak with an engineer after jumping through 100 hoops and explaining to them that I disassembled one of the Primes and it locked onto a GPS signal and navigated from point A to point B with no problems with the backing off of it. Regular reps at ASUS have been told to hush hush and are not allowed to say anything lets see if ASUS comes out and publically admits the problem anytime soon.

aldrouin

Dec 25, 2011
So I have been told that my test wasn't valid because it was done inside a house in the window. So I wen't out in the cold at night and made another video of the transformer prime against my wife's LG Optimus One.

You can see I am *not* getting any experience at making short youtube clips, but yeah, I'm just trying to share my experience.

Here we go :

I guess I should plan things a little bit more. But for now that works.

What do you guys think ??

*edit* : And yeah I'm stumbling every two words, it's quite cold over here and I didn't think that through. It's weird when you annoy yourself over a youtube video... Sorry about that guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: tylermaciaszek

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
So I have been told that my test wasn't valid because it was done inside a house in the window. So I wen't out in the cold at night and made another video of the transformer prime against my wife's LG Optimus One.

You can see I am *not* getting any experience at making short youtube clips, but yeah, I'm just trying to share my experience.

Here we go :

I guess I should plan things a little bit more. But for now that works.

What do you guys think ??

*edit* : And yeah I'm stumbling every two words, it's quite cold over here and I didn't think that through. It's weird when you annoy yourself over a youtube video... Sorry about that guys.
good video thanks but how does yours boot up so fast mine is like 2 minutes

aldrouin

Dec 25, 2011
There is nothing on it right now, just did a wipe today again. There is no other app than what comes with the device and GPS test, no micro-sdhc card, every wireless functionality was turned off except for GPS.

I just did a test for the GPS, nothing more. I'm not ready to start using it fully since I'm either sending it back to tigerdirect or sending it to asus (if they man up and tell us they are going to fix their mistake).

tdp252

Dec 30, 2011
Strange observation

Guys I just noticed something strange. Isn't correct time down to the micro-second required for proper GPS functionality? My Windows desktop is configured to update it's time from, "time-a.nist.gov". I watched the clock and noticed that the tablet rolled over it's minutes about 2 seconds before my desktop.

If both devices were properly updating time I would have expected to see the time change occur simultaneously.

Could it be that this entire issue is because the tablet is not correctly updating time from an atomic source? (I have the prime setup to do so)

Last edited:

aldrouin

Dec 25, 2011
Guys I just noticed something strange. Isn't correct time down to the micro-second required for proper GPS functionality? My Windows desktop is configured to update it's time from, "time-a.nist.gov". I watched the clock and noticed that the tablet rolled over it's minutes about 2 seconds before my desktop.

If both devices were properly updating time I would have expected to see the time change occur simultaneously.

Could it be that this entire issue is because the tablet is not correctly updating time from an atomic source? (I have the prime setup to do so)

It would seem this is a non-issue as there is an auto-correction protocol implemented in consumer market chips : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS . Search for : Correcting a GPS receiver's clock

malice95

Dec 30, 2011
So I just got my replacement ATP. Before I took the first one I got back to
Best buy I shot a comparison video for the GPS. The Second one I got has a
working GPS. Its not as strong as it should be but its working. The first one..
nothing.

Both on my car hood in my driveway on a clear night with full view of the sky.
It took about 1 minute for the one with a working gps to get any signal. The
signal strenth seemed to fluctuate a lot.

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
To those who clicked "yes", did you guys test the GPS while driving?
I can't find any feedback, comment, or evidence of GPS working while it is being driven around.

If so, could one guess/hypothesize that at least 90% of the Prime that is currently in the hands of the consumers are faulty/broken?

thomslik

Dec 15, 2011
It would appear that we need the option to change our vote in the poll, as some thought it was working, but later found it couldn't keep a fix.

jatkins09

Jul 19, 2010
Orlando, FL
nothing.

The one I got from BB works like your new one. Took about a minute, but I get 9 or so satellites with accuracy fluctuating between 30 and 75 ft.

edit: Going for a drive now. I'll report my results.

I was able to keep a lock on at least 5 satellites only if the tab was on my dash. Taking it off the dash pretty much killed the lock instantly. There was a huge gap in my mytracks during the period I had it in my lap. My area has a lot of oak tree cover, so not sure how that affected it when it was off of the dash.

If there's any consolation, this is about as well as my Captivate gps worked out of the box, and my Cappy's has certainly gotten a lot better since then. Also, if you drive a convertible, you're all set.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I felt compelled to register and post because I see a lot of misinformation here. Let's get a few facts straight...

-GPS does not require the use of a WiFi(802.11) or cellular(2G/3G/4G) connection to get a first fix
    -Some implementations of GPS have the capability to use WiFi and/or cellular connections as an option to help speed up time to first fix. This is called AGPS and only affects time to first fix.
    -Accuracy of GPS typically does not increase with WiFi or cellular connection. In other words, once a fix is obtained, GPS accuracy is the same whether WiFi or cellular connections are present. I say typically though because there are some advanced systems that use off device servers to do some heavy computations and then relay device location back to the device through WiFi or cellular. I doubt this is the case with the TF201.
    -Some devices have no GPS and just use WiFi or cellular data to provide a very rough (e.g. 200m) location accuracy. THIS IS NOT GPS.

I believe the TF201 has a GPS system that uses WiFi to help speed up time to first fix. That said, WiFi should not be required in the TF201 when trying to get a first fix, and the lack of WiFi should only extend the time to first fix.

Given the symptoms people are reporting, and the fact that it is not consistent from device to device, I also believe the problem plaguing the TF201 is hardware related and specifically related to the GPS's receive sensitivity. Perhaps there is some variation in antenna impedance from tablet to tablet. This could be caused by something as trivial and devastating such as manufacturing intolerances that cause the aluminum metal casing to inadvertently touch an antenna and screw up the receive path impedance.
    nothing.

Who'd listen to you? You're an idiot. :)

I suggest people trying to get a fix without holding the tablet. Try laying it on its face and back and see if you can get a fix.
    Hello fellow members. I know this is not a fix but a workaround to have navigation working assuming you have a smartphone with bluetooth tethering .

I have the transformer prime nonrooted and evo 4g running cm7.1.

I used this how to video

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=d43uq-gzI_I&v=d43uq-gzI_I&gl=US

I first blutooth tether to get internet access. Uses less battery. (I didnt follow his wifi tethering instructions )

Make phone discoverable connect tablet. Hit pair on both devices, then connect internet on tablet bluetooth setting ( once done i turn off discoverable on phone)

Then enable the phones gps app (gps over bt, market free )left discoverable at 30. (I change this to 5 still works fine)

On the tablet i went to settings application setting enable mock location

I then launched the tablet gps app (bluetooth gps, market free by googoo ) and enable mock location. Then hit the connect button. And thats it.

Add the widget tablet. Done.

Hopefully ics does fix this problem

I love my evo 4g with cm7. Does everthing i need

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
    not getting a single sat here. coming from a Galaxy S, this isn't new to me...