[GUIDE] Easiest Step-By-Step Tutorial For Upgrading Your Bionic To ICS

Search This thread

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
**DO NOT USE THIS METHOD ANYMORE. USE THE ICS FXZ METHOD**

Based on the 6.7.232 Leak << This is the last "safe" ICS leak for the Bionic until an ICS FXZ comes out >>

OVERVIEW: This guide will get your Bionic upgraded to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich). These steps are universal for all Bionics, and work regardless of the ROM that is currently loaded on your phone. At this time, Motorola has not yet officially released ICS, so this process is based on the leaks that have been coming out, but as of version 6.7.232 (6.7.2320) these leaks are stable enough to be used as your main operating platform, or 'daily driver'. This may look lengthy, but if you follow it to the letter, I guarantee you'll have a much more functional and desirable phone as a result.
CAUTION:
Before beginning these steps, make sure you have backed up all personal data that you do not want to lose. This process WILL wipe all internal user data, apps and settings! You can put your backup on your external SD card if you like since this process will NOT erase any files on your SD card. As with any user guide, do this is at your own risk.
DEPENDENCIES:
This guide assumes you have a Verizon Droid Bionic phone and are running as an administrator user on Windows XP or later.

1. Be sure that your battery has at least 75% charge and make sure your phone is NOT plugged into your computer. Do NOT attempt this process with a battery level lower than 75%.
  2. Power off your Bionic and make sure it is not plugged into anything
  3. In Windows, go into Control Panel, "Programs and Features" (or "Add/Remove Programs" in XP) and uninstall any existing Motorola phone or USB drivers.
  4. Download and install the latest Motorola USB drivers [mirror] and RSD Lite v5.7 [mirror].
  5. On your Bionic, while holding down both volume keys, press and hold the power button until you see a black and white menu selection screen. Press Volume Down twice, to select "AP FastBoot" then press Volume Up just once to activate that mode.
  6. Plug your phone into your PC (If you are using a Desktop, then be sure to use one of the USB ports on the BACK of your computer). Let Windows complete installing the multiple device drivers necessary for the Bionic (do NOT unplug it during this time). You may be prompted to reboot; if so go ahead and do it.
  7. Right click on RSD Lite, and select "Run as administrator" (or just double-click on XP/2003)
  8. Your device should be showing in line 1. Click on it to select it, then click the browse button to the right of the "Filename" box - it looks like three dots, [...]
  9. Download this 5.9.905 FZX zip file and place it in the root of your hard drive (e.g. C:\). Select this file then click the "Decompress And Start Flashing" button.
  10. Your phone will now go through a 15-20 minute flashing process. Be patient! Once finished you should see it load the "Welcome" screen with the picture of the large green android.
  11. Bypass the setup wizard by tapping all four corners of the screen in succession (top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left). Also, skip the Backup Assistant prompt and all other prompts until you reach the main home screen with the red background. Close RSD Lite on your computer.
  12. Download the 6.7.232 Update zip file and put it on your external SD card then power off your phone.
  13. While holding down both volume keys, press and hold the power button until you see a black and white menu selection screen. Press Volume Down once, to select "Recovery" then press Volume Up just once to activate that mode.
  14. Once you see the android icon with an exclamation mark, press both volume buttons to make the text menu appear.
  15. Press volume down to select "apply update from external storage", then press the power button to activate. Browse to the 6.7.232 Update file you downloaded from STEP 12 and select it with the power button.
  16. From the main menu select "Reboot system now". You are finished! You may now setup and use your phone.
NOTE REGARDING STEP 10: It is VERY important that you be patient. Even if you think the process is frozen, it probably is not. Some of the parts that get updated take a very long time so just wait it out. It you see "Failed" or "Error" text at any point, then you should unplug your phone and start this process over again from the beginning. If you continue to see these errors then try a different USB port on your computer, or a different computer altogether.

===

OPTIONAL STEPS: How to Install A Custom ICS ROM:

OVERVIEW:
If you wish to install a custom ICS ROM at this point or want the ability to swap back and forth between this 6.7.232 stock ROM and a custom ICS ROM, then continue on to the optional steps below.

CAUTION: Be sure that your battery has at least 75% charge before beginning.
DEPENDENCIES: These steps assume that you have followed the guide above, are on the 6.7.232 stock ROM leak and wish to install a custom ICS ROM now. (I recommend the Liquid ROM, and for the purposes of this guide I will be linking to that one for STEP 'A' below).

A. Download either the
Liquid 1.5 MR1 zip file or the Liquid 1.5 MR2.3 JBOD file (tweaked/modified version) and place it on your SD card.
B. Enable Unknown Sources: From the home screen on your Bionic, tap Menu, Settings, Security, then enable the checkbox on "Unknown Sources" then "OK" to confirm.
C. Enable USB Debugging: Tap Back, tap "Developer Options", then enable the checkbox on 'Android/USB debugging' then "OK" to confirm.
D. Plug your phone into your computer and let Windows install any necessary device drivers needed.
E. Download Motofail-ICS to your PC and select "Run as administrator" (or just double-click on XP/2003). Press enter when prompted, to begin the rooting process. This may take about 2 to 3 minutes, and may reboot your phone multiple times.
F. Once your phone is rooted, download Safestrap 2.0 to your Bionic, extract the APK then run it from your desired File Manager app to install it.
G. Once installed, click Open to run the Safestrap app, and select the top button to install necessary files. Once completed, power off and reboot your phone.
H. When you see the new Safestrap logo on startup, press Menu (bottom left button). After a few seconds, you will see the 'Safestrap Recovery' menu.
I. Press Volume Up twice then the power button to select the "safe boot menu" option, and select "Toggle Safe System", then "Yes" to confirm. (This may take about 5 minutes to complete).
J. From the main menu, select "mounts and storage" and perform the "format /system" function and confirm.
K. Perform the "wipe data/factory reset" function and confirm.
L. Select "advanced" and perform the "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and confirm.
M. Select "install zip from sdcard", select "choose zip from sdcard", select "External SD card", then browse to the ROM file you downloaded from STEP A, and confirm install. Once complete you can reboot your phone.

N.
OPTIONAL STEP: Update the built-in Google apps to the Jelly Bean release by installing a second ZIP file on top of the custom ROM. This zip can be downloaded HERE. Just repeat STEP M and select the 'gapps' zip file this time.

NOTE:
At any time you can go back into Safestrap and select "Toggle Safe System" to return to the official/stock Motorola 6.7.232 ICS operating system. You can also repeat STEPS J through M if you want to try out different ICS ROMs (AOKP, CM9, etc.)

===

Feel free to ask questions, but when replying, please do not quote this entire message. This post may be modified or tweaked as Motorola releases new updates for the Bionic, and newbie users may find themselves reading out of date material if old information has been quoted.

I don't ask for donations, but PM me if you really want to make one, and I'll give you my Paypal address. All credit goes to the developers and those who have contributed to the open-source community to make this possible for the Bionic. Just shoot me a 'Thanks' if this helped you.

Last edited:

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Thread updates will be posted here

UPDATE (8/15/2012):
  • Updated link for Liquid 1.5 MR1 custom ROM.
  • Added link for Liquid 1.5 MR2.3 JBOD as a custom ROM option.
  • Update link for Jellybean Google Apps (JB Gapps)
  • Removed Rombot link (pretty much useless now, at least for Bionic users)
UPDATE (8/10/2012):

• Updated Rombot Link
UPDATE (8/1/2012):

• Updated wording and lettering in OPTIONAL STEPS section.

UPDATE (7/31/2012):

• Updated links to custom ROMs in OPTIONAL STEPS section.

UPDATE (7/29/2012):

• Fixed the Liquid 1.5 MR1 ROM link.
  • Modified STEP 11 to add reminder to close RSD Lite when finished with step.
  • Updated OPTIONAL STEPS to use letters instead of numbers, to avoid confusion.
  • Updated link on OPTIONAL STEPS to gapps to point to JellyBean 4.1 release from 2012-07-26.

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Very nice step by step for a clean install. You may want to warn people that doing a full FXZ like that will likely wipe the internal sdcard and reset the phone to factory defaults during the process. I know you say to back up personal data, but, trust me having written a similar guide myself, you will get people who didn't fully understand or even read all the directions before jumping in. Other than that, nice job. :)

Reactions: lovethecode

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Very nice step by step for a clean install. You may want to warn people that doing a full FXZ like that will likely wipe the internal sdcard and reset the phone to factory defaults during the process. I know you say to back up personal data, but, trust me having written a similar guide myself, you will get people who didn't fully understand or even read all the directions before jumping in. Other than that, nice job. :)

Thanks, though I've got no control over that. I could reword it all day long and still not account for all users. If you don't read then you may deserve an unexpected data wipe. Of course, I don't wish this on anyone but a little suffering makes for a poignant lesson.

Sent from my XT875 using xda app-developers app

nrock2256

Jul 15, 2012
Los Angeles
RE:

First off, thanks for this guide. Just a really quick question though: I just flashed it back to .893 after running kin3tx since December. I just went through all the OTA updates and am on 5.9.905 (100% stock OTA from verizon.). Do I really need to flash it to .902, then .905, then .232? Or can I just go straight to .232? EDIT: WHen trying to download .232, it links me to a google docs page with 5.9.905 listed... Is it simply under the same name? Edit (again): It looks like if you have the latest .905 OTA update, you can go straight to .232 without a problem. Currently, all the camera stuff is working for me, and pretty much everything else. As far as the download link, yes, it's .232 in .905's skin. Thanks again OP.

Last edited:

jabomb

Dec 19, 2011
Quick question, after doing all of these steps and successfully upgrading to ics, will I be able to upgrade my bionic via ota when it officially comes out from Verizon?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Quick question, after doing all of these steps and successfully upgrading to ics, will I be able to upgrade my bionic via ota when it officially comes out from Verizon?

No. OTA updates will require you to be on the latest stock (currently 5.9.905). I'll make a note in the original post that this takes you off the upgrade path. You can FXZ to .902/upgrade to .905 at any time though.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyle_ken and jabomb

wokwokwok

Apr 6, 2010
GPS issue

My gps is taking a long time to lock on or at all. is there something i can do to fix it?

curtdogg12

Jul 14, 2012
Some typos, but overall great.

It got me to ICS, but I noticed two issues with the guide; in step 16 you refer to the ICS download as being in "STEP 17", when it's in step 12, also, the 905 download link brings up the ICS download not the 905 download. I tested the 905 download despite exact same naming (I know I didn't get them mixed up I set up separate folders to place them in title "GB" and "ICS"), because you had said the file names were similar. While flashing in recovery though I would get an identical error on both about the system version check not matching 4.0.4 at the end. To fix this I turned on my phone, took the 905 OTA, and went back into recovery and the file flashed fine. This isn't meant to be a critique message of anger or anything, just a heads up that there were some little bumps in the process despite word for word following. Thanks for the guide though, it helped a lot still.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
First off, thanks for this guide. Just a really quick question though: I just flashed it back to .893 after running kin3tx since December. I just went through all the OTA updates and am on 5.9.905 (100% stock OTA from verizon.). Do I really need to flash it to .902, then .905, then .232? Or can I just go straight to .232? EDIT: WHen trying to download .232, it links me to a google docs page with 5.9.905 listed... Is it simply under the same name? Edit (again): It looks like if you have the latest .905 OTA update, you can go straight to .232 without a problem. Currently, all the camera stuff is working for me, and pretty much everything else. As far as the download link, yes, it's .232 in .905's skin. Thanks again OP.

This guide is intended to be steps that will work on ANY bionic in ANY state, but yes, if you are already on 5.9.905, then you can start at STEP 16. It will work as long as you have not uninstalled any system apps from your .905 system, as that may make your OS non-upgradable.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
It got me to ICS, but I noticed two issues with the guide; in step 16 you refer to the ICS download as being in "STEP 17", when it's in step 12, also, the 905 download link brings up the ICS download not the 905 download. I tested the 905 download despite exact same naming (I know I didn't get them mixed up I set up separate folders to place them in title "GB" and "ICS"), because you had said the file names were similar. While flashing in recovery though I would get an identical error on both about the system version check not matching 4.0.4 at the end. To fix this I turned on my phone, took the 905 OTA, and went back into recovery and the file flashed fine. This isn't meant to be a critique message of anger or anything, just a heads up that there were some little bumps in the process despite word for word following. Thanks for the guide though, it helped a lot still.

Thanks, both issues fixed.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
It WON'T work on 235 or higher. And there's a 905 FXZ out now if you want it.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
No, you can't. Trust me. John Galt bricked trying it. Matt (that created the script for the RAZR and D4 leaks) also agrees, it won't work. They upped the security version. Once you go to 235, you will *NEVER* get back to GB.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
No, you can't. Trust me. John Galt bricked trying it. Matt (that created the script for the RAZR and D4 leaks) also agrees, it won't work. They upped the security version. Once you go to 235, you will *NEVER* get back to GB.

OK then, these steps stay as is then. The .232 is stable, and all links are working and accurate, so I'll leave it. The .232 stock or Liquid can be used as a daily driver since everything works.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Yup. Once you go to 235 you will need matt's script to go forward but can never go back. I'm updating to 235 right now as I have nothing to lose.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Yup. Once you go to 235 you will need matt's script to go forward but can never go back. I'm updating to 235 right now as I have nothing to lose.

I see there are two 5.9.905 FXZ files out there. One on rombot and another one I am downloading. Look at the different in the file sizes? Has he tried flashing both of these? Obviously from different sources.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
I got the original from daywalker04 himself. I don't know what people have done with it since it's been released. I'll PM you a link to the original untouched FXZ.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Wait...all you have to do once you are on 235 is just reboot in Safestrap, toggle to safe system, then install whatever you want. any custom GB rom can run on the safe side. Why is this a big deal?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **DO NOT USE THIS METHOD ANYMORE. USE THE ICS FXZ METHOD**

Based on the 6.7.232 Leak << This is the last "safe" ICS leak for the Bionic until an ICS FXZ comes out >>

OVERVIEW: This guide will get your Bionic upgraded to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich). These steps are universal for all Bionics, and work regardless of the ROM that is currently loaded on your phone. At this time, Motorola has not yet officially released ICS, so this process is based on the leaks that have been coming out, but as of version 6.7.232 (6.7.2320) these leaks are stable enough to be used as your main operating platform, or 'daily driver'. This may look lengthy, but if you follow it to the letter, I guarantee you'll have a much more functional and desirable phone as a result.
    CAUTION:
    Before beginning these steps, make sure you have backed up all personal data that you do not want to lose. This process WILL wipe all internal user data, apps and settings! You can put your backup on your external SD card if you like since this process will NOT erase any files on your SD card. As with any user guide, do this is at your own risk.
    DEPENDENCIES:
    This guide assumes you have a Verizon Droid Bionic phone and are running as an administrator user on Windows XP or later.

1. Be sure that your battery has at least 75% charge and make sure your phone is NOT plugged into your computer. Do NOT attempt this process with a battery level lower than 75%.
    2. Power off your Bionic and make sure it is not plugged into anything
    3. In Windows, go into Control Panel, "Programs and Features" (or "Add/Remove Programs" in XP) and uninstall any existing Motorola phone or USB drivers.
    4. Download and install the latest Motorola USB drivers [mirror] and RSD Lite v5.7 [mirror].
    5. On your Bionic, while holding down both volume keys, press and hold the power button until you see a black and white menu selection screen. Press Volume Down twice, to select "AP FastBoot" then press Volume Up just once to activate that mode.
    6. Plug your phone into your PC (If you are using a Desktop, then be sure to use one of the USB ports on the BACK of your computer). Let Windows complete installing the multiple device drivers necessary for the Bionic (do NOT unplug it during this time). You may be prompted to reboot; if so go ahead and do it.
    7. Right click on RSD Lite, and select "Run as administrator" (or just double-click on XP/2003)
    8. Your device should be showing in line 1. Click on it to select it, then click the browse button to the right of the "Filename" box - it looks like three dots, [...]
    9. Download this 5.9.905 FZX zip file and place it in the root of your hard drive (e.g. C:\). Select this file then click the "Decompress And Start Flashing" button.
    10. Your phone will now go through a 15-20 minute flashing process. Be patient! Once finished you should see it load the "Welcome" screen with the picture of the large green android.
    11. Bypass the setup wizard by tapping all four corners of the screen in succession (top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left). Also, skip the Backup Assistant prompt and all other prompts until you reach the main home screen with the red background. Close RSD Lite on your computer.
    12. Download the 6.7.232 Update zip file and put it on your external SD card then power off your phone.
    13. While holding down both volume keys, press and hold the power button until you see a black and white menu selection screen. Press Volume Down once, to select "Recovery" then press Volume Up just once to activate that mode.
    14. Once you see the android icon with an exclamation mark, press both volume buttons to make the text menu appear.
    15. Press volume down to select "apply update from external storage", then press the power button to activate. Browse to the 6.7.232 Update file you downloaded from STEP 12 and select it with the power button.
    16. From the main menu select "Reboot system now". You are finished! You may now setup and use your phone.
    NOTE REGARDING STEP 10: It is VERY important that you be patient. Even if you think the process is frozen, it probably is not. Some of the parts that get updated take a very long time so just wait it out. It you see "Failed" or "Error" text at any point, then you should unplug your phone and start this process over again from the beginning. If you continue to see these errors then try a different USB port on your computer, or a different computer altogether.

===

OPTIONAL STEPS: How to Install A Custom ICS ROM:

OVERVIEW:
    If you wish to install a custom ICS ROM at this point or want the ability to swap back and forth between this 6.7.232 stock ROM and a custom ICS ROM, then continue on to the optional steps below.

CAUTION: Be sure that your battery has at least 75% charge before beginning.
    DEPENDENCIES: These steps assume that you have followed the guide above, are on the 6.7.232 stock ROM leak and wish to install a custom ICS ROM now. (I recommend the Liquid ROM, and for the purposes of this guide I will be linking to that one for STEP 'A' below).

A. Download either the
    Liquid 1.5 MR1 zip file or the Liquid 1.5 MR2.3 JBOD file (tweaked/modified version) and place it on your SD card.
    B. Enable Unknown Sources: From the home screen on your Bionic, tap Menu, Settings, Security, then enable the checkbox on "Unknown Sources" then "OK" to confirm.
    C. Enable USB Debugging: Tap Back, tap "Developer Options", then enable the checkbox on 'Android/USB debugging' then "OK" to confirm.
    D. Plug your phone into your computer and let Windows install any necessary device drivers needed.
    E. Download Motofail-ICS to your PC and select "Run as administrator" (or just double-click on XP/2003). Press enter when prompted, to begin the rooting process. This may take about 2 to 3 minutes, and may reboot your phone multiple times.
    F. Once your phone is rooted, download Safestrap 2.0 to your Bionic, extract the APK then run it from your desired File Manager app to install it.
    G. Once installed, click Open to run the Safestrap app, and select the top button to install necessary files. Once completed, power off and reboot your phone.
    H. When you see the new Safestrap logo on startup, press Menu (bottom left button). After a few seconds, you will see the 'Safestrap Recovery' menu.
    I. Press Volume Up twice then the power button to select the "safe boot menu" option, and select "Toggle Safe System", then "Yes" to confirm. (This may take about 5 minutes to complete).
    J. From the main menu, select "mounts and storage" and perform the "format /system" function and confirm.
    K. Perform the "wipe data/factory reset" function and confirm.
    L. Select "advanced" and perform the "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and confirm.
    M. Select "install zip from sdcard", select "choose zip from sdcard", select "External SD card", then browse to the ROM file you downloaded from STEP A, and confirm install. Once complete you can reboot your phone.

N.
    OPTIONAL STEP: Update the built-in Google apps to the Jelly Bean release by installing a second ZIP file on top of the custom ROM. This zip can be downloaded HERE. Just repeat STEP M and select the 'gapps' zip file this time.

NOTE:
    At any time you can go back into Safestrap and select "Toggle Safe System" to return to the official/stock Motorola 6.7.232 ICS operating system. You can also repeat STEPS J through M if you want to try out different ICS ROMs (AOKP, CM9, etc.)

===

Feel free to ask questions, but when replying, please do not quote this entire message. This post may be modified or tweaked as Motorola releases new updates for the Bionic, and newbie users may find themselves reading out of date material if old information has been quoted.

I don't ask for donations, but PM me if you really want to make one, and I'll give you my Paypal address. All credit goes to the developers and those who have contributed to the open-source community to make this possible for the Bionic. Just shoot me a 'Thanks' if this helped you.
    Thread updates will be posted here

UPDATE (8/15/2012):
    • Updated link for Liquid 1.5 MR1 custom ROM.
    • Added link for Liquid 1.5 MR2.3 JBOD as a custom ROM option.
    • Update link for Jellybean Google Apps (JB Gapps)
    • Removed Rombot link (pretty much useless now, at least for Bionic users)
    UPDATE (8/10/2012):

• Updated Rombot Link
    UPDATE (8/1/2012):

• Updated wording and lettering in OPTIONAL STEPS section.

UPDATE (7/31/2012):

• Updated links to custom ROMs in OPTIONAL STEPS section.

UPDATE (7/29/2012):

• Fixed the Liquid 1.5 MR1 ROM link.
    • Modified STEP 11 to add reminder to close RSD Lite when finished with step.
    • Updated OPTIONAL STEPS to use letters instead of numbers, to avoid confusion.
    • Updated link on OPTIONAL STEPS to gapps to point to JellyBean 4.1 release from 2012-07-26.

Thanks, though I've got no control over that. I could reword it all day long and still not account for all users. If you don't read then you may deserve an unexpected data wipe. Of course, I don't wish this on anyone but a little suffering makes for a poignant lesson.

No. OTA updates will require you to be on the latest stock (currently 5.9.905). I'll make a note in the original post that this takes you off the upgrade path. You can FXZ to .902/upgrade to .905 at any time though.

I am forever root, is there a way to take it off? Also will it delete my data? Thanks for your reply

You need to use something like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer to edit /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh in read/write mode. Then remove the following lines:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

Don't leave the cursor on the end of the fi line but on the beginning of the next line where the first chmod is. Yes, it matters. The file must match EXACTLY with what the update is asserting on.