[Q] Galaxy S4 Bricked?!?!? HELP!!!

Search This thread

billbusby

Feb 26, 2014
So this is my first post because I can normally find what I'm looking for, except for in this case.

First off my phone, Galaxy S4 Model SGH-I337 running Android 4.2.2 rooted. No custom rom installed, i.e. Cyanogenmod. I recently bought some new batteries and a new charger which I had been using for about two weeks before my problem arose.

I came home one night plugged my phone in to charge and woke up to find it unresponsive. I tried a battery pull and found my phone turns on for about 3 seconds showing the samsung custom screen with the padlock only to shut off again. Same thing happens not matter how many times I perform a battery pull. I tried plugging into my computer but the phone is not detected.

I tried a battery pull and booting into safe mode and debugging mode but the phone just shuts off after 3 seconds no matter what.

I'm not sure if this is a true hard brick since when I perform a battery pull the phone starts and the buttons seem to work, at least enough to enter safe or debugging mode.

I have not seen any threads where the phone momentarily turns on after battery pull only to shut off quickly.

Has anyone run into this problem before and is there anyway to fix it???

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
So this is my first post because I can normally find what I'm looking for, except for in this case.

First off my phone, Galaxy S4 Model SGH-I337 running Android 4.2.2 rooted. No custom rom installed, i.e. Cyanogenmod. I recently bought some new batteries and a new charger which I had been using for about two weeks before my problem arose.

I came home one night plugged my phone in to charge and woke up to find it unresponsive. I tried a battery pull and found my phone turns on for about 3 seconds showing the samsung custom screen with the padlock only to shut off again. Same thing happens not matter how many times I perform a battery pull. I tried plugging into my computer but the phone is not detected.

I tried a battery pull and booting into safe mode and debugging mode but the phone just shuts off after 3 seconds no matter what.

I'm not sure if this is a true hard brick since when I perform a battery pull the phone starts and the buttons seem to work, at least enough to enter safe or debugging mode.

I have not seen any threads where the phone momentarily turns on after battery pull only to shut off quickly.

Has anyone run into this problem before and is there anyway to fix it???

The phone didn't brick itself. So, if you didn't do anything to it and just found it that way (as you said), I would think it is a hardware problem either with the phone or the battery. Have you tried a different battery? If you rule out a defective battery, I would say it is a hardware problem with the phone.

RK

Feb 8, 2012
This used to happen to skyrockets due to stuck power button

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

PurpleBottle

Dec 5, 2010
This used to happen to skyrockets due to stuck power button

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This right here ^

My friend has a T-Mobile GS4 and same thing happened to him. It would only turn on when he would pull the battery and put it back in, but it would turn off soon after. Turns out his power button was jammed. He went and go it replaced.

Try this: Pull your battery and put it back in. If your phone turns on momentarily without you pressing anything then the power button is the problem.

billbusby

Feb 26, 2014
This right here ^

My friend has a T-Mobile GS4 and same thing happened to him. It would only turn on when he would pull the battery and put it back in, but it would turn off soon after. Turns out his power button was jammed. He went and go it replaced.

Try this: Pull your battery and put it back in. If your phone turns on momentarily without you pressing anything then the power button is the problem.

Is there any way I can take the phone apart and fix this? I don't think returning the phone is an option since my phone is rooted.