[Q] US GSM Moto G won't work on AT&T

Search This thread

shlurpee

Jun 23, 2010
Hi guys,

Just got my Moto G from Amazon. Upgrading from a SG2 skyrocket. Went to AT&T store to get a micro SIM. Before leaving the store I made a test call, worked perfectly. When I got home I wanted to test the HSPA+ speeds. It won't connect to mobile network. Called AT&T and they said the IMEI is not recognized in their system as a phone, and as such, will not be assigned a data plan. I called Motorola and they said since I bought it from Amazon, only Amazon can help me.

So I requested a new unit from Amazon, but then I got thinking...is there a way to fix this without having to return it? I don't want to go back to my SG2 for a week while I wait.

As a secondary note, I had my SG2 look for the Moto G via bluetooth and it was recognized as "XT-######". I thought that was strange that it wasn't called Moto G or something similar.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks,
D.

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
I'm on AT&T with a Motorola shipped device. Everything is fine here.

Sent from my MOTO G!!!

deepen915

May 8, 2013
Hi guys,

Just got my Moto G from Amazon. Upgrading from a SG2 skyrocket. Went to AT&T store to get a micro SIM. Before leaving the store I made a test call, worked perfectly. When I got home I wanted to test the HSPA+ speeds. It won't connect to mobile network. Called AT&T and they said the IMEI is not recognized in their system as a phone, and as such, will not be assigned a data plan. I called Motorola and they said since I bought it from Amazon, only Amazon can help me.

So I requested a new unit from Amazon, but then I got thinking...is there a way to fix this without having to return it? I don't want to go back to my SG2 for a week while I wait.

As a secondary note, I had my SG2 look for the Moto G via bluetooth and it was recognized as "XT-######". I thought that was strange that it wasn't called Moto G or something similar.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks,
D.

wait it's not recognized as a smartphone by AT&T? You may have just answered my question! I was looking everywhere to confirm this. I want to get the G for my mom to use on her line, she has a data block, I don't want to use data. So can you confirm this?

shlurpee

Jun 23, 2010
wait it's not recognized as a smartphone by AT&T? You may have just answered my question! I was looking everywhere to confirm this. I want to get the G for my mom to use on her line, she has a data block, I don't want to use data. So can you confirm this?

Just replied to your thread. It won't work. AT&T eventually recognized that it was s smartphone trying to connect to the network. They put me on a pay-as-you-go data plan at $2/mb.

angomy

May 4, 2011
just sign up with an AT&T MVNO like h20 or airvoice..etc.

AT&T also has its own prepaid (GoPhone) where you can get unlimited voice/text for $50 no data (wifi only) and aren't required to purchase data. However, it's cheaper to go through an mvno like he said.

I'm on GoPhone myself but I'm debating if it's worth the potential customer service hassles to move to a cheaper MVNO like H20 or Airvoice.

deepen915

May 8, 2013
Just replied to your thread. It won't work. AT&T eventually recognized that it was s smartphone trying to connect to the network. They put me on a pay-as-you-go data plan at $2/mb.

are you sure? Because in my situation, the line already has a Data Block. I read somewhere that as long as you do the data block on the line before switching sims, they can't know it's a smartphone. I may just try it and see if they find out. I'll disable Mobile Data from the phone and make sure it always has WiFi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to find out what AT&T's APN settings are (Or whatever carrier you're using) and double check if they match with the one you've chosen on your phone.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Sweet!!! Thanks. after a few google's I found what I needed. Now it's working just fine. thank you!!
    Nope. I know where the APN settings are, but I don't know what I'd be looking for.

You need to find out what AT&T's APN settings are (Or whatever carrier you're using) and double check if they match with the one you've chosen on your phone.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk