Audio output reviews and opinions

Search This thread

daddydark

Jan 20, 2012
Im interested in your opinions of the audio output through earphones or headphones.
Post some reviews, personal reviews
Here is a review i found that goes in depth about the M8 audio abilities
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8-review-1062p7.php.

I took some time listening with yamaha eph -100s and the amp is powerful, nice sound stage and very clean. I think it sounds better with boom sound off on some tracks.

Last edited:

daddydark

Jan 20, 2012
Coming from the Lg g2 i am really impressed with the volume and quality of the audio output to earphones

ryanjsoo

Dec 25, 2011
Sydney
How loud is minimum volume?, I know the max is load but does that mean minimum volume is also high, I like listening to music quietly at night, is the base volume much higher than your other phones?

daddydark

Jan 20, 2012
How loud is minimum volume?, I know the max is load but does that mean minimum volume is also high, I like listening to music quietly at night, is the base volume much higher than your other phones?

It is pretty low, from my experience boom sound makes it a lot louder. It might be good to turn it off for night listening.

shaw23

May 2, 2010
Perth
I often Played my one (m7) through my docking station via headphone to aux ... it was excellent sound. I tried the M8 today and had to turn down the bass and volume on my Dock. This is not a bad thing though, as the sound quality IMO is better. is has a deeper fuller sound to it. NO complaints from my end. This is just my opinion and hope it helps. The Docking station used is a Kickers iK500 :good:

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
With my original HTC One M7, one of the speakers was always just a tad louder than the other (same with 1 replacment and an in-shop model I tested).

Has anyone with an M8 encountered this?

I have the m7, have the same ****ty problem, stops me from enjoying the amazing speakers.. Hopefully the m8 will be perfectly balanced..

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

r.wardell2

Sep 28, 2010
car audio aux

running pandora, audio was clear through the car dock, boomsound EQ overwhelmed my systems bass capabilities with M7 settings on the bose head unit, had to adjust down the bass , if i had a dedicated sub and clipped the low levels to the 6x9's up front i dont think it would have even with max vol. after turning down the base level on the head unit it sounded as good or better than M7, or One-x w/beats EQ. no complaints over all just some re adjusting for the new EQ to match the car.

front speakers were loud and deep for their size, very impressed with their low level capabilities. the low volume was low enough for night listening both through head phones and int speakers.

my only question comes down to the head phones it came with, they sound good but feel like cheap plastic crap and are styled to look like fake beats by dre buds. why even include them in the box? i think its safe to say that if you are going to buy a flag ship device and care about head phones at all, you probably have a favorite pair of head phones already. just seamed pointless to cheapen the included equipment with BS ear buds...

Galactus

Dec 28, 2009
London
running pandora, audio was clear through the car dock, boomsound EQ overwhelmed my systems bass capabilities with M7 settings on the bose head unit, had to adjust down the bass , if i had a dedicated sub and clipped the low levels to the 6x9's up front i dont think it would have even with max vol. after turning down the base level on the head unit it sounded as good or better than M7, or One-x w/beats EQ. no complaints over all just some re adjusting for the new EQ to match the car.

front speakers were loud and deep for their size, very impressed with their low level capabilities. the low volume was low enough for night listening both through head phones and int speakers.

my only question comes down to the head phones it came with, they sound good but feel like cheap plastic crap and are styled to look like fake beats by dre buds. why even include them in the box? i think its safe to say that if you are going to buy a flag ship device and care about head phones at all, you probably have a favorite pair of head phones already. just seamed pointless to cheapen the included equipment with BS ear buds...

Judging by the fact that every review about the stock M7 & M8 buds have been met with nothing but praise seems to disagree with this comment. You'd be surprised how many people use the stock buds, and base their opinion on audio quality having used only the stock sets. It is a good thing in my opinion and I hope HTC continue to include headsets.

Reactions: MassStash

daddydark

Jan 20, 2012
Judging by the fact that every review about the stock M7 & M8 buds have been met with nothing but praise seems to disagree with this comment. You'd be surprised how many people use the stock buds, and base their opinion on audio quality having used only the stock sets. It is a good thing in my
opinion and I hope HTC continue to include headsets.
I think most will agree that the m8 has great audio quality, but using the stock buds will no doubt greatly limit your ability to fully take advantage.

Galactus

Dec 28, 2009
London
I think most will agree that the m8 has great audio quality, but using the stock buds will no doubt greatly limit your ability to fully take advantage.

What I'm trying to say is that it is better that HTC supply their ear buds that are half decent, rather than not including ANY. As long as the ones they supply sound better than the majority of the competition then I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that. Better they make the effort rather than not in my opinion

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV

You might be the only person who complains about getting free things. I'd rather have the "alright" earbuds (I definitely use better ones) as a backup than not have them at all. I was overall satisfied in the few instances where I used my M7 earbuds considering they're just included earbuds that are typically awful from most other OEMs.

Galactus

Dec 28, 2009
London
You might be the only person who complains about getting free things. I'd rather have the "alright" earbuds (I definitely use better ones) as a backup than not have them at all. I was overall satisfied in the few instances where I used my M7 earbuds considering they're just included earbuds that are typically awful from most other OEMs.

This

Reactions: HtcOneJon

r.wardell2

Sep 28, 2010

i agree that its better to have "alright" than none at all but as far as complaining about free... nothing is free, you paid for that **** one way or another. they sounded good in my opinion, detter than most OEM for sure, but they "felt" cheap. if i was a company that rests its worth on making only the highest quality most ascetically pleasing devices and to top that, one of my biggest selling points is my audio, i would have wrapped those drivers in a better quality material, or just left them out entirely and saved my self a few dollars per unit... even the cheapest sounding sealed ear buds you can buy at walmart have higher quality externals. they clearly spent money on the internals for the head phones but went el-cheapo on the feel, just pointless IMO.
did this take away from the device for me? no. but it was the only thing in the box that didn't immediately shout "quality!". presentation means a lot in marketing and how the average consumer feels about the device before they even turn it on. just look at how much companies spend on packaging. HTC probably spent more on the fancy shaped cardboard box than those headphones and the box has nothing to do with the quality of the device. but if that phone their charging $650+ for came out of generic brown box or a bubble pack, you bet your ass that would make people question it before they even turned it on.
if your an xda member you are already more educated in tech then the majority of consumers, and that's why it doesn't matter to you, but if you knew nothing about a device before you walked into the store you might care a little more about presentation.
im not trying to say any one is wrong or argue but thats my opinion, coming from a business and marketing stand point it didn't make sense.

sorry to continue off topic.

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
i agree that its better to have "alright" than none at all but as far as complaining about free... nothing is free, you paid for that **** one way or another. they sounded good in my opinion, detter than most OEM for sure, but they "felt" cheap. if i was a company that rests its worth on making only the highest quality most ascetically pleasing devices and to top that, one of my biggest selling points is my audio, i would have wrapped those drivers in a better quality material, or just left them out entirely and saved my self a few dollars per unit... even the cheapest sounding sealed ear buds you can buy at walmart have higher quality externals. they clearly spent money on the internals for the head phones but went el-cheapo on the feel, just pointless IMO.
did this take away from the device for me? no. but it was the only thing in the box that didn't immediately shout "quality!". presentation means a lot in marketing and how the average consumer feels about the device before they even turn it on. just look at how much companies spend on packaging. HTC probably spent more on the fancy shaped cardboard box than those headphones and the box has nothing to do with the quality of the device. but if that phone their charging $650+ for came out of generic brown box or a bubble pack, you bet your ass that would make people question it before they even turned it on.
if your an xda member you are already more educated in tech then the majority of consumers, and that's why it doesn't matter to you, but if you knew nothing about a device before you walked into the store you might care a little more about presentation.
im not trying to say any one is wrong or argue but thats my opinion, coming from a business and marketing stand point it didn't make sense.

sorry to continue off topic.

I really don't think the average consumer would look at the earbuds and think "Wow. This totally ruins this unboxing experience for me." And, really, who cares what they look like? I own a pair of Sony MDR-V6's that sound better than probably any earbuds out there and let's just say that those things aren't the most aesthetically pleasing accessory in the world. They're made of nice, durable materials, but they're huge, bulky, and have a cord that is almost comically long (they're studio headphones). Did I care about any of that after I listened to music through them? Not at all. And, considering the included HTC earbuds will be the best pair a majority of consumers will ever own (yes, sadly), I'm sure they'll get over them being made of plastic.

r.wardell2

Sep 28, 2010
I really don't think the average consumer would look at the earbuds and think "Wow. This totally ruins this unboxing experience for me." And, really, who cares what they look like? I own a pair of Sony MDR-V6's that sound better than probably any earbuds out there and let's just say that those things aren't the most aesthetically pleasing accessory in the world. They're made of nice, durable materials, but they're huge, bulky, and have a cord that is almost comically long (they're studio headphones). Did I care about any of that after I listened to music through them? Not at all. And, considering the included HTC earbuds will be the best pair a majority of consumers will ever own (yes, sadly), I'm sure they'll get over them being made of plastic.

your probably right about them being the best the average consumer has ever had, guess i didn't think of it that way. i suppose im just a sucker for aesthetics, and feel. probably why i like HTC's products so much better than Samsung or LG, as capable as they may be.

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
Honestly love this phone. I love the front facing speakers. But audio out of BT and the headphone jack leave something to be desired coming from an iPhone5. iOS devices just excel with audio volume and quality. Over Bluetooth the highs don't sound crisp at all and the bass seems over processed or there is too much bass boost or something. Can't put my finger on it but I wish the quality was the same as the iOS devices. Aside from that I love the boom sound when watching movies or videos through the speakers

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app

jonathan413

Apr 3, 2010
Speakers are great.audio quality through the headphone jack is great especially with beats headphones. Bluetooth I can't speak for since I never use it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Review

I gave my thoughts on audio experience in this video if your interested

I have only one complaint about the audio output.

When I'am using the phone with the Beyerdynamics dt 770 ohm headphones it sounds great till like 75-80% volume ( using neutron / in the stock player like 3 ticks from max volume). At around that percentage I can hear some clipping/popping sounds.

I didn't experience this with the iphone 5s. The problem is, the volume might be good enough for normal lower ohm headphones, but the loudness at about 75% is lower than max volume at the iphone 5s.

Can this be fixed by an update or is it a hardware problem?
    I'm a mod over at Head-Fi, using Sennheiser IE800s with the M8 and have this too...

Can I ask where you're based, am wondering if this could be an EU volume cap thing (as others don't hear this at all)...

I've changed in build.props the region to '1' (which the speakers are set to), and it seems to 'help', but not totally cure the popping...

Judging by the fact that every review about the stock M7 & M8 buds have been met with nothing but praise seems to disagree with this comment. You'd be surprised how many people use the stock buds, and base their opinion on audio quality having used only the stock sets. It is a good thing in my opinion and I hope HTC continue to include headsets.
    Same old issue...

Okay, so - have been sat here quietly for the past week, working out in my own mind placebo from fact when it comes to the audible distortion, and got it nailed...

The One M8 essentially has the same problem as the Galaxy S4 (and other handsets) - long thread about it here...

Quick fix is a volume attenuator (a crude version would be an inline volume control, just to add resistance - raise volume handset and lower volume control to your own requirements / tolerances) - a more elegant solution would be an inline amp (FIIO E6 for example) - this fixes it perfectly (but means more things to carry around...

I hope this helps someone somewhere :)