[ROM][0.0.7.3]ICS CM9 ThinkPad Tablet (Alpha)

Search This thread

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
hey folks,

1. I think we shouldn't hijack this thread and continue an overlong discussion about browsers, flash & cm9. It might be a good idea to open a new thread in 'GENERAL' to discuss it in detail and then report our experiences back to Koshu.

2. At the moment I don't know. I have to go into detail to find out how I installed it, I only see in PLAY that it is not compatible (so the 10' version) with my device although it is also tagged as installed.
But not today, I'm tired :)

seconded.
don't mean to belittle what you guys are discussing, but when I see a new post notification on this thread I'm hoping its a new release only to check and see it a post about browsers and so on. Here's hoping the next post will be about 3g finally working. If wishes were horses :rolleyes:

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
Good to have some feedback. I was beginning to feel the project was dead. Even if there's nothing new is it possible to have a more recent cm9 port from the latest releases maybe it may enhance performance?

slpin

Jan 26, 2007
with ics being offically released in 3 weeks, i dont think it is worth developer's time till then...

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
It's not about ICS, it's about CM9 and AOKP and all that fun stuff. It's an enhanced version of ICS, such as a hardware button to turn off the touchscreen, several tweaks to speed up the system, etc. You really don't want to use stock, generally.

ker2gsr

Oct 13, 2010
Hell if I knew anything about building a rom I would have done it .......with that being said the people over in the nook color threads got together and learned how to compiled from source and since have become devs of their own I would love to see that happen with the TPT being that we don't have a lot of dev support except for those that are you know who ya are lol the more people are interested the more we can dev this tablet ..anyone interested .....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
First of all, I'd be highly surprised if lenovo kept to their word and released ics in May. Look how long it took them to release ota 2 with all that carrier certification rubbish. Why carriers have a say in a business tablet is beyond my imagination but that's another matter.

Secondly, I agree that aokp seems to be slightly better than cm9 so maybe we can work together and make use of the wonderful work koshu and Jon have done to improve the port.

ker2gsr

Oct 13, 2010
First of all, I'd be highly surprised if lenovo kept to their word and released ics in May. Look how long it took them to release ota 2 with all that carrier certification rubbish. Why carriers have a say in a business tablet is beyond my imagination but that's another matter.

Secondly, I agree that aokp seems to be slightly better than cm9 so maybe we can work together and make use of the wonderful work koshu and Jon have done to improve the port.

I'd love too I have gotten as far as setting up Ubuntu to be able to build lol I've viewed a few videos on building from source if we can get more people involved to help out ahem ahem koshu and Jon to point in the right direction I'm far to "newb" to attempt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tchitcherine

Feb 17, 2011
Well, actually, there has been some progress on the 3G front.
I talked to Koshu and he shared his 3G code with me, and surprisingly it worked on my tablet.
I haven't heard back from him yet if he could reproduce it on his end, but I've been successfully using CM9 with 3G for the last few days.
If you want to try it out for yourself, my source tree (with build instructions) is available at github: https://github.com/jbaiter
The more people get involved in this the better, just fork the code on Github, start hacking and report on your results :)

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
Still trying to test it, but having some problems in my build environment. As soon as i get it working again i will test it. Sorry, for keeping silent here.

In which points do you prefer AOKP over CM9? Just curious, haven't tried AOKP yet.

Reactions: obscure.detour

claytonjn

Nov 3, 2011
claytonjamesphotography.webs.com
I love the customization control for the nav bar (adding additional buttons, changing them through settings), I like that you can hid the nav bar and have the control in the power menu, I like the control over the status bar (What toggles to show, clock settings, battery icon settings. I haven't used CM9 in a couple months, but when I had it installed on my Nexus with boot manager I never used it. IMO there was nothing in CM9 that isn't in AOKP, but there is stuff in AOKP not in CM9. When I get a chance I'll install the newest version of CM9 on my GNex and see if anything's changed.

-Posted from my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
Still trying to test it, but having some problems in my build environment. As soon as i get it working again i will test it. Sorry, for keeping silent here.

In which points do you prefer AOKP over CM9? Just curious, haven't tried AOKP yet.

Thanks for the update.

As for the preference of AOKP than CM9, in my experience AOKP seems more polished and feature-rich than CM9. I was running CM9 on my Nexus S and my girl's HP TouchPad when I tried AOKP out a few months back. I've been running AOKP on both devices ever since.

AOKP also has far less devices in comparison to CM9 and a much much higher tablet/phone ratio than CM9. After comparing CM9 and AOKP on a tablet, I feel that AOKP is more tablet oriented than CM9. IMO, the UI in AOKP is also more streamlined for a tablet experience than CM9. There are already many tablets supported by AOKP that have very similar internals with our beloved TPT. Team Kang is also willing to add devices as long as there is a maintainer for said device.

Also to reiterate what JamMasterClay said, AOKP's ROM Control customization are absolutely phenomenal. Complete customization of the UI Nav bar, lockscreen options, power menu and cooked in weather status. Also, power saving functionality and many more customization options including start-up tweaks, etc.

I guess in the end all the customization isn't necessary, but extremely useful. And I could be wrong in my assumption, but with AOKP's far less devices and more that are similar to our specific device's specification it could be potentially easier to maintain.

Just my 2 cents :) Of course it doesn't matter all that much. I just find AOKP extremely polished and very nice on tablets and even on my Nexus S.

Tchitcherine

Feb 17, 2011
Well, I suggest you first start by reading the build instructions:
https://github.com/jbaiter/thinkpad_tablet_device_tree/blob/master/README.rst
Then, when you have a complete source tree and have built a working rom, tackle one of the bugs or features that you are missing.
How you do this depends on the issue, it mostly starts with reading the logfiles, then consulting the related source code, fiddling with it, see if it helps, if it didn't, start from step one again ;)
When you think your code is ready for the public, create your own fork of the relevant repository on github and send a pull request to Koshu if you are confident that your code is working.
Of course you will need to know at least some Java (or at least have the ambition to learn it), although some of the hairier issues will require knowledge in C and possibly C++, but you can always skip those :)

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using XDA

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
Well, actually, there has been some progress on the 3G front.

As far as am concerned, that's quite an understatement. You've got 3g working and you say there's being "some progress". But if you've got it working maybe you could release a patch or a rom, that may take the workload off Koshu and I'm glad someone else with android knowledge is helping out with the development.
On a more serious note 3g is quite an important part of this rom for me as it makes it a truly 'mobile' tablet, not just a wifi-only slate. I'm pretty excited about it working. What version of the tablet have u got it working on? as we know the US and UK tpts are the same maybe u could release an update or upload a clean backup (only system no data) that may help get 3g on some of the tablets.

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
The 3G card thats working is the ericcsson one. So devices with the gobi card (US(?), UK(?)) will likely not work. But getting the ericcsson card working completely (which we own ourselfs) might help getting the gobi card working, too.

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
Didn't 3g work on both cards on honeycomb?

The 3G card thats working is the ericcsson one. So devices with the gobi card (US(?), UK(?)) will likely not work. But getting the ericcsson card working completely (which we own ourselfs) might help getting the gobi card working, too.

If I'm not mistaken, there were some tutorials somewhere for attaching Gobi cards to the wifi-only thinkpads. I think I saw a video on thinkpadtabletforums.com on how to do it. My point is, the instructions where to install the hardware and it would work. This suggests that the thinkpad already had the drivers on honeycomb. Isn't it possible to get the code off honeycomb or something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This a a CM9 Port for the Thinkpad Tablet made by Jon2555 and me. Its still under development, so you might run into bugs.

You are flashing this ROM on your own risk. It could eat your kittens, steal your breakfast or brick your device!
    431914all-small.jpeg

(Higher Resolution)

Requirements:
    - A US, UK or WE device (Might also work on others)
    - root (obviously)
    - CWM

Installation:
    - Download xxx.zip and put it on a sd-card
    - Boot into CWM (Reboot and press Vol+)
    - Make a nandroid backup in CWM!
    - Make sure the backup worked!
    - Full Wipe (May not be needed if you come from an earlier CM9 version)
    - Flash zip in CWM

Restore HC:
    - Boot into CWM (Reboot and press Vol+)
    - Restore old nandroid backup

Working:
    - Wifi
    - Touchscreen + Stylus
    - Bluetooth
    - HW Acceleration
    - Sound
    - External Mouse
    - Folio (mostly)
    - VPN
    - Hardware Button

Not Working
    - Camera
    - 3G
    - HW Video Decoding (i.e. for Youtube HQ)
    - No mount as USB/MTP

Known Bugs
    - Wifi doesn't always reconnect to networks
    - Trebuchet has wrong size and misses a few pixels
    - Sometimes apps on the market are incompatible (see Play Store/Market)
    - Sound doesn't mute when headphones are plugged in

Play Store/Market
    Sometimes the market marks apps as incompatible. This happens randomly. If it happens to you try one (or more) of the following:

Folio
    The Folio works but some of the special keys don't. One problem with the Folio is, that there are different Keylayouts (i.e. UK, US) but without a different device ID. In the standard setup this ROM uses the UK layout, if you want to use a US layout, you have to delete a file:

Code:
    su 
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    rm /system/usr/keychars/Vendor_1241_Product_0003_Version_0110.kcm

- The Cyanogenmod team
    - digetx for the Green Flash fix
    - Everyone releasing their source codes for other builds
    - Everyone trying to find and report bugs

If you like our work press the thank button or buy us some lego.

Download
    http://everyrandom.com/files/download.php?file=185alpha00731.zip

Sourcecodes
    https://github.com/Koshu

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]Version 0.0.7.3.1[/B]
    - Fixed Pen driver to solve reboot problem

[B]Version 0.0.7.3[/B]
    - Added new experimental play store hack v2

[B]Version 0.0.7.2[/B]
    - Added new experimental play store hack

[B]Version 0.0.7.1[/B]
    - removed assert check again

[B]Version 0.0.7[/B]
    - fixed touchscreen scrolling issue 

[B]Version 0.0.6.3.1[/B]
    - added missing generic.kl again

[B]Version 0.0.6.3[/B]
    - Added xt_qtaguid to kernel to solve reboot bug
    - Changed some configs to fix minor bugs

[B]Version 0.0.6.1[/B]
    - Fixed wrong Generic.kl for folio

[B]Version 0.0.6[/B]
    - Fixed Hardware Button Rotate Key
    - Fixed Hardware Button Home Key
    - Added disable Touchscreen through pressing the Browser Button
    - Fixed VPN (Needs testing)
    - Fixed Folio (Expect some keys not available in normal CM9)

[B]Version 0.0.5[/B]
    - Changed to newest CM9 Sourcecode
    - Fixed naming in storage listing
    - Quill recognizes pen as pen
    - Gtalk works with new CM9 and new Gapps

[B]Version 0.0.4.2[/B]
    - Sound works (no Headphones, but maybe we will get there today) Update: Headphones work

[B]Version 0.0.4.1[/B]
    - Sound works in ALSA and partially in Android (Click sounds work, youtube and Music doesn't)

[B]Version 0.0.4[/B]
    - Fixed Green overlay issue (thanks digetx for the hint)
    - Fixed Problem with surface Buffer (No force close of GUI anymore)

[B]Version 0.0.3.2[/B]
    - Modified N-Trig drivers directly in Kernel (Touch Wrapper isn't needed anymore)
    - Still trying to figure out how to fix the green overlay issue

[B]Version 0.0.3.1[/B]
    - Fixed GPS (?)
    - Fixed internal media storage

[B]Version 0.0.3[/B]
    - Wrapper for new ICS-Touchscreen API -> Touchscreen works 

[B]Version 0.0.2[/B]
    - Wifi works (But not Signal Strengh in UI)
    - Reboot Problems hopefully fixed (needs further testing)

[B]Version 0.0.1 (First Try)[/B]
    Working:
    - successfully booted
    - stylus
    - bluetooth (loaded fine but not tested transfering)

Bugs/Not working:
    - Reboot Problems (like in CWM)
    - No touchscreen (only Stylus)
    - No wifi 
    - No camera
    - a bunch of other things
    That is totally understandable. I am extremely glad for the dev support we have received so far. Here's to hoping that once OEM ICS drops they can get it (hw video) working.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using xda premium

Should be possible or a least a lot easier.

I'm back from a vacation and will try to fix some of the audio/pen bugs the next days. 3G still makes problems, i'm thinking to release a wifi-only version until it is fixed (you know, removing the signal icons from the taskbar etc.)
    Updated my tablet to official ICS to get the new drivers for ICS. Unfortunately something went wrong (it broke my CWM) so i ended up loosing root and CWM. Looks like there won't be much development from my side until i find a solution or someone else a new root exploit.

For everyone else here, who is trying to build CM9 based on this sources: Feel free to share your builds if you want to, i won't mind (isn't this what opensource is about, anyway? ;)
    Put this on last night. Not having any market issues (any problem apps you want me to check?)

Only problem I have now is Chrome Beta still crashes after a few seconds use?

Thanks for all the hard work!
    I am sorry to hear that there is currently no more development on CM9 for the TPT.

Maybe we are paused for a while.
    But I still believe, we can have CM9 working.

Personally: I was some time abroad travelling, so no progress. Meanwhile ICS for ROW device was released. From now I'm back and i will try to push it