Run windows and android native on SGT !

Search This thread

Cruonit

Jan 28, 2007
www.etf.ba
Maybe it will soon be possible to run android and windows nt nativly at the same time on the SGT!

how? - ReactOS:
http://www.reactos.org/ (if you are going to test it in a virtual machine dont' use the 0.3.14 version of os, use the trunk build version its much much much better)

ReactOS is an open source windows clone and most of the windows applications work on it ! (MS office, opera, ff, ...) the good news is there is an ARM port of ReactOS - Windows RT equivalent:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/ARM_Port

ReactOS still has problems to work on real hardware because of many different components but on some PC it works very well (it can be targeted to SGT fix the bugs)

The ARM port is able to run on the SGT but there is still a lot of work to do.
Windows will soon release a Office ARM version for winRT and in order to run any windows application on the SGT a recompile is needed.

and about android there is already a port of android that runs native on windowsne emulation no virtual machine !!)
http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/13/...tm_medium=feed

If anyone has any coding skills it would be nice to try to port reactos to the SGT or just to donate to the project with the subject "arm port for SGT"

Reactions: XTeK2

arashtarafar

Sep 26, 2010
This runs pretty well even at alpha stage, I tested it in virtualbox in my laptop, and I'll test it on emulator in my SGT soon... they've planned to bring it up to windows 8... hope that everyone interested here will help the fundraising...
I posted this just to keep this thread up, so don't blame me for not saying anything useful...
I think(theory) that it will run very smoothly on SGT, because it only uses 6mb of graphic memory, I tested it with 256mb RAM and 500mb HDD, and it was better than my expectations!
I really recommend all to try it...:good:

Serpentene

Oct 28, 2011
While I applause the developers efforts and certainly see potential benefit..I wonder still if it not more practical to remote desktop as thin client using an app like splashtop for full windows desktop usability?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jonnobright

redhk886

Nov 15, 2011
This would be great.But, what I would really like,is to have all 3 OS on one tablet.

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
I have 20 US Dollars for the first person that can port even an alpha of this, and an extra 15 USD to anyone who can fix up our Ubuntu port (everything needed to fix the kernel is available in Samsung's ICS kernel). There are just too many sweet things that we get close to but never actually get.

Reactions: WeThePeople13

decatf

Dec 27, 2011
Has there even been any Android based device that has had ReactOS running on it ever?

It sounds like OP is just rambling nonsense and wishful thinking.
What is the basis for this statement? Has someone demonstrated any ReactOS code running on a Tegra 2? Is it simply because someone put up that ARM Port section of the wiki? The ARM CPUs represent a wide range of devices. Just because someone decided to put up a blurb about that doesn't mean we are anywhere close to getting a worth while port of ReactOS running on this device.

Why is there a link to some Slashdot story from 1998?

Last edited:

ottoen

Jun 8, 2013
Perhaps this is the way to go to make this tablet suck less, but I would recommend switching to a windows tablet, either a Rt-based or a x86-based tablet. Back when galaxy tab 2 10.1 came to the stores, I went ahead and got one.
And that was a decision I soon came to regret deeply. Android is simply not comparable to windows, not even on a tablet.
So I went to buy a hp elitepad, running windows 8 pro. This impressed me so much that I also bought an Asus vivotab Rt.

The fact that the elitepad is running x86, means that I now will install virtualbox, and then install android for x86.
And perhaps mac os, windows nt, bsd or Ubuntu. Time will show. :)

My point here being, it is better to start with a superior os and then install the inferior ones, instead of doing this in reverse.

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
Perhaps this is the way to go to make this tablet suck less, but I would recommend switching to a windows tablet, either a Rt-based or a x86-based tablet. Back when galaxy tab 2 10.1 came to the stores, I went ahead and got one.
And that was a decision I soon came to regret deeply. Android is simply not comparable to windows, not even on a tablet.
So I went to buy a hp elitepad, running windows 8 pro. This impressed me so much that I also bought an Asus vivotab Rt.

The fact that the elitepad is running x86, means that I now will install virtualbox, and then install android for x86.

My point here being, it is better to start with a superior os and then install the inferior ones, instead of doing this in reverse.

You really can't compare a weak Tegra 2 processor to a much more powerful Intel processor, based on two totally different architectures, running two totally different OSes, two totally different tablets with entirely different specs... You're comparing a snail to a Toyota sports car.

Try out a Tegra 4 tablet or a Snapdragon 800 tablet... That's some good stuff. Nexus 10 too, Exynos is a beast.

Reactions: BassBlaster

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe it will soon be possible to run android and windows nt nativly at the same time on the SGT!

how? - ReactOS:
    http://www.reactos.org/ (if you are going to test it in a virtual machine dont' use the 0.3.14 version of os, use the trunk build version its much much much better)

ReactOS is an open source windows clone and most of the windows applications work on it ! (MS office, opera, ff, ...) the good news is there is an ARM port of ReactOS - Windows RT equivalent:
    http://www.reactos.org/wiki/ARM_Port

ReactOS still has problems to work on real hardware because of many different components but on some PC it works very well (it can be targeted to SGT fix the bugs)

Windows will soon release a Office ARM version for winRT and in order to run any windows application on the SGT a recompile is needed.

and about android there is already a port of android that runs native on windowsne emulation no virtual machine !!)
    http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/13/...tm_medium=feed

If anyone has any coding skills it would be nice to try to port reactos to the SGT or just to donate to the project with the subject "arm port for SGT"
    While I applause the developers efforts and certainly see potential benefit..I wonder still if it not more practical to remote desktop as thin client using an app like splashtop for full windows desktop usability?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using xda app-developers app
    I have 20 US Dollars for the first person that can port even an alpha of this, and an extra 15 USD to anyone who can fix up our Ubuntu port (everything needed to fix the kernel is available in Samsung's ICS kernel). There are just too many sweet things that we get close to but never actually get.

You really can't compare a weak Tegra 2 processor to a much more powerful Intel processor, based on two totally different architectures, running two totally different OSes, two totally different tablets with entirely different specs... You're comparing a snail to a Toyota sports car.

Try out a Tegra 4 tablet or a Snapdragon 800 tablet... That's some good stuff. Nexus 10 too, Exynos is a beast.