Action: Emulate key press
Key: 17 Control
Result: This does not seem to work
Note: Even if I check the "Ctl" checkbox below the key choice it does not work

Scenario # 2:
Key mode: Direct key mapping
Key code: 17 Control
Result: This does work

If I use scenario # 1 above with the "9 Tab" key it works fine (as a tab key). Just curious why I cannot assign the Control key in the same manner? If I'm not mistaken, with direct key mapping, there is no way then to use the long key press option...right? Hence why I'd like to use the "Single/double click, long press" mode instead i.e. assign Control to the Messaging key on a Telus TP2, and then the actual Messaging app to the long press Messaging key. For now I'm using fn+key instead for launching the app.

Last edited:

nijinski

Apr 26, 2008
I was just wondering, can this little application, or any other that any one knows of, remap keys just for a specific program?

I'll explain my scenario... I use Agenda One as my calendar, mostly because I like the week "grid" view that no other software seems to have and it is a great little, very clean program. The only thing is, that it has tiny icons to scroll through the weeks. This was not a problem with my previous WinMo devices because they had hardware keys that did this. The TP2 lacks these and it is quite difficult hitting the right icons with my fingers on the screen. I was just wondering if it would be possible to remap, say the volume up/down keys, to up/down which would let me scroll through weeks but I only want it to this when Agendus One is open? I know I can just open the keyboard and use the cursor keys but I'd lile to this without having to slide the keyboard out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tarkim,

You seem to know your way around HTC Rhodium keyboards. Twice now I have lost my Touch Pal Keyboard being replaced by a Phone keyboard. The first time I had loaded a cab file that changed the snooze options and I had to restore from backup. The second time I was minding my own business and changed the keyboard to "keyboard" the old full QWERTY key with small keys and then I tried to change back to Full QWERTY but all I got was the phone keyboard. I had to restore again. Hold the phone....after the last restore I tried to recreate but what I thought was the phone keyboard was not. I looked at the phone keyboard and it was what you would think with three letters per number key. This "other" keyboard that shows up has a number pad the letters p and w and some arrow keys this a return key as well. if this "other" keyboard shows up again is there a reg setting that I can go and change back to get my Touch Pal keyboard back?

I have a T-Mobile TP2

TIA
I also have this 'other' keyboard & have lost the full on-screen QWERTY & would be very interested to read a reply asap. Thanks.

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
covkid66
this is true that you can't use long press or double click on direct key mapping
take a look at this post, i've described the difference between 'emulate key press' action and direct key mapping there
to understand why control key doesn't work properly in 'emulate key press' action you should understand how it works at all

simple example:
imagine you are typing some text on you PC keyboard (or even at TP2 keyboard), then you select part of text and press Ctrl+C
what is the events sequence ?
first you press Ctrl - system received "Ctrl down" event and stores it's state as active, then you press and release C - system checks for Ctrl modifier and see that it's active, hence it copies text to clipboard
and the last - you release Ctrl - system received "Ctrl up" and stores it's state as inactive
in this example if Ctrl is inactive (not hold) system won't copy text and will just type C character

to get full working Ctrl on Telus TP2 keyboard you should use direct key mapping, becase it's impossible to get it with key emulation action
this is the answer, hope it's clear enough for you

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
nijinski
yes, this solution can remap key only for particular program/window class/window text
in configurator add definitions for volume up/down hardware keys
when key edit dialog opens default rule is selected, it's name is "*"
you should set key mode to 'Do not remap' for both keys you defined
then add new rule by pressing "+" and follow on-screen instruction
you can select matching type - process name, window class, window text
here you can write executable name of program you are using and select process name matching
the last thing left is to define what them will do while in calendar program:
- or set key mode to 'Single/double click, long press' and select 'Emulate key press' action for 'Click' event, where you need to select 'Up' and 'Down' key codes respectively
- or set key mode to 'Direct key mapping' and again select 'Up' and 'Down' key codes

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
kevinofborg, Bri & his SPV M3100
can't help you guys without full information of what you were doing
really don't know what happens with you virtual keyboards
installing my driver is like installing original driver, i can't imagine how it may brake anything
need more info
not sure but you can use any tweaker that supports default virtual keyboard switching to return to TouchPal

kevinofborg

Nov 8, 2008
Dallas
tarkim,

I did not install your drive. I just hoped you may have seen this in your testing. I have seen now three or four with this same problem. Maybe it will happen to someone smarter then I and they will fix it :p

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Call me an idiot, but after installing this .CAB I don't have anything in the Programs list or in /Program Files denoting this keyboard app.

Am I just stupid or am I missing something? :D

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Nevermind... looked at the .XML file in the .CAB and saw that the program is called kbdconfig.exe. Weird that it wasn't added to the programs list, but it's there in the /Windows folder.

p-slim

May 25, 2008
San Jose
So, what is it ? It's a patched keyboard driver with configurator application for keys setup. Any key (yeah, i mean ANY, including Home and Back keys) can be reassigned to perform desired actions. Keys on a QWERTY keyboard are not an exception, they might be remapped too.
If any key has an action configured and is defined to be processed by my driver extension, it wouldn't go into the system. That is to say no one program even like AEButton will see key events processed by my driver.

Some Raphael owners is familiar with this remapper. And if you are one of them then you can skip all the text below and just download attached archive.

Requirements:
- .NET CF 2.0 (for configurator app)

Installing:
- Install SdkCerts.cab
- Install RhodiumKbdControl_XXX.cab
- Soft reset
- Check if keyboard works by pressing hardware buttons and seeing if they do their work, if not - uninstall cab, this wouldn't work on your current ROM (PM me if you still want this to work on your device)
- If it works - go to the control panel and find "Keyboard Config" on a System page

How to define key processing:
- Run configurator (Control Panel -> System -> Keyboard Config)
- Press Menu -> Add key
- When dialog asking you to press key appears press and release desired key
- Set up needed options in key setup dialog and press OK (left softkey)
- In configurator's main window press left softkey "Update settings" to let new configuration take place (reboot is not needed, coz new settings will work immediately after saving)

Backup before installing of modified driver is strongly recommended.
Be careful when downloading the cab, make sure you choose the correct version suitable for your device.

Raphael's version thread and changelog here.

Donations:
You can donate via WebMoney (ru - webmoney, en - wmtransfer) :
Z173545720678
E210379027296
U418254650891
R284977123187

I am a sprint user so I won't have my tp2 till the 8th of September but i want to thank you right now, because i was really worrying about this problem. Once again thanks in advance and definitely expect donation. Once cdma hspl is done i have nothing to worry about, hopefully.

arasarn

Oct 29, 2008
Ottawa
im on telus using the cdma version. i love the app and the functionality. i have one issue though, i am trying to bind FN + Y to the seperator, but it doesn't seam to work.

Touch_Pete

Nov 28, 2007
Lower Sackville NS
Thanks for this - it works like a charm!

Tarkim

Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate this application. It allowed me to remap my mail key as a ctrl key, my sms as an alt key and even keys not actually on the keyboard. I remapped the return key on the face to alt tab when I hold it and the volume up to an up arrow but with a long press volume up and the volume down to down arrow, long press volume down! This is great!!! :D

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
arasarn
attach your config here please and describe which applications this combination or action doesn't work in

Touch_Pete
glad you found it useful :)

nijinski

Apr 26, 2008
nijinski
yes, this solution can remap key only for particular program/window class/window text
in configurator add definitions for volume up/down hardware keys
when key edit dialog opens default rule is selected, it's name is "*"
you should set key mode to 'Do not remap' for both keys you defined
then add new rule by pressing "+" and follow on-screen instruction
you can select matching type - process name, window class, window text
here you can write executable name of program you are using and select process name matching
the last thing left is to define what them will do while in calendar program:
- or set key mode to 'Single/double click, long press' and select 'Emulate key press' action for 'Click' event, where you need to select 'Up' and 'Down' key codes respectively
- or set key mode to 'Direct key mapping' and again select 'Up' and 'Down' key codes
Tarkim, thank you so much for firstly creating this little app and secondly for talking me through how to use it. It does exactly what I needed. I would like to make a donation but I'm not keen on using the money transfer service you have. Can you use Paypal?

Nijinski

nijinski

Apr 26, 2008
Just had another thought. I'm thinking on flashing to one of the new 6.5 roms that are now out there. Will this program work with them?

Thanks again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for Rhodium only! Do not try to install this on other devices!
    Do not ask me to make a version for other device since my remappers are driver dependent and this can be very and very complicated without real device (if possible at all).

So, what is it ? It's a patched keyboard driver with configurator application for keys setup. Any key (yeah, i mean ANY, including Home and Back keys) can be reassigned to perform desired actions. Keys on a QWERTY keyboard are not an exception, they might be remapped too.
    If any key has an action configured and is defined to be processed by my driver extension, it wouldn't go into the system. That is to say no one program even like AEButton will see key events processed by my driver.

Some Raphael owners is familiar with this remapper. And if you are one of them then you can skip all the text below and just download attached archive.

Features:
    • Different event types supported: single, double and triple clicks, long presses
    • Two modes of key mapping: three actions per key or direct key mapping
    • Key repeats in direct key mapping mode
    • Actions sequence repeats in actions mode
    • Key combinations using FN modifier
    • Default key behaviour action - you won't loose key's default behaviour if you just want to add double click or long press to it
    • Different key behaviour depending on foreground process/window class/window text
    • Multiple rules for each key to provide different behaviour for each application you want
    • Multiple actions for each event
    • Different predefined actions:
      • Run program
      • Key press emulation
      • Send symbol/text to active window
      • Close active window
      • Switch to window by class/text
      • Terminate data connection
      • Wi-Fi toggle
      • BT toggle
      • Screen rotation
      • Power management (screen power toggle, suspend, reset)
    • Exceptions lists which are used to deny key remapping depending on foreground process/window class/window text
    • Configurable long press and double click duration
    • Configuration import/export in configurator

Changelog is located in post #2 here.
    Configurator UI localization support information is located in post #3 here.

Requirements:
    - .NET CF 2.0 (for configurator app)

Installing:
    - Install SdkCerts.cab
    - Install RhodiumKbdControl_XXX.cab
    - Soft reset
    - Check if keyboard works by pressing hardware buttons and seeing if they do their work, if not - uninstall cab, this wouldn't work on your current ROM (PM me if you still want this to work on your device)
    - If it works - go to the control panel and find "Keyboard Config" on a System page

How to define key processing:
    - Run configurator (Control Panel -> System -> Keyboard Config)
    - Press Menu -> Add key
    - When dialog asking you to press key appears press and release desired key
    - Set up needed options in key setup dialog and press OK (left softkey)
    - In configurator's main window press left softkey "Update settings" to let new configuration take place (reboot is not needed, coz new settings will work immediately after saving)

Backup before installing of modified driver is strongly recommended.
    Be careful when downloading the cab, make sure you choose the correct version suitable for your device.

Raphael's version thread here and Topaz's one here.
    Configurator UI localization:

Since version 1.4 configurator supports localization.
    On start it reads file "kbdconfig.ui.lng" from directory where is located itself.
    Localization file is a simple text UNICODE file formatted in a following manner:
    Key=Value
    Key=First string\r\nSecond string\r\nAnd so forth

If you want to translate UI - download attached sample english file and use it as source.
    After translation you will need to put it to \Windows\ folder to use on your device.
    Or you can make a cab and send it to me, so i can attach it in this post.

German file provided by S-Line.
    Thanks for the tip, this gets me close to what I want, but I actually would like to get to the actual "Start/Launch" screen and this takes me to the last TF3D tab as you indicated. I'm thinking there should be an HTC executable that would take you there, but I can't find it.

OH MAN!!! I totally figured it out!! :D

Action: Run program
    Program: \Windows\manila.exe
    Arguments: --switchtopage Manila://home.page

Now you will be sent to the home screen from ANYWHERE!! :D