[Tweak/App] Disabling HTC Messaging in manila 2.5 (version 1.2 Updated on 29th Sep)

Search This thread

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
I posted this first in HTCpedia, and then had some discussion in xda, but I thought I would post this officially in xda.

HTC has, since manila 2.5, designed and developed a completely new text messaging application (HTC Messaging App) to replace the old Windows messaging application for the entire SMS/text messaging functionality. Some of you may not be affected by the poor performance of HTC messaging app. But for me, it's so poor that despite trimming my text messages to just 200, every operation (open message, compose a message, etc) takes a few seconds at least, and it is just not usable for me. It looks to me as if HTC has designed, developed and tested with just a handful messages in mind.

So I did some investigation, and found out a way to disable HTC messaging app, and revert back to the original Windows messaging application, i.e. pocket outlook, for text messaging.

Technically speaking, it's a combination of registry tweak and a small patch utility I wrote to overcome a bug/problem as a result of disabling HTC messaging application.

Update (29th September 2009) - Version 1.2

I have updated the CAB to be compatible with the latest manila version 2.5.1919xxx. This should fix the problem where the default application is still HTC messaging client, and not Windows pocket outlook. If you already have a previous version installed, please remember NOT to restart your device when the previous version is being uninstalled. Also, if your text message has "GSM" suffix, there's a chance where the tweak is not complete. I'm working on a fix for that but I would need confirmation from you registry values in the registry path (HKLM\Services\MSG, HKLM\Services\OutlookEnhancement, HKLM\System\Inbox\ExternalAccounts, HKCU\Software\HTC\bootlauncher\services\outlookenhancement)

Update (21st September 2009) - Version 1.1

I have updated to the CAB to include the latest version of patch utility, which would be more reliable (99% ,with the 1% due to scenario not tested :D) detect dismissal of SMS notification, so that you won't end up with the count bubble still showing up after dismissing SMS notification or reading the new SMS. This CAB doesn't have the registry tweak discovered in 11th September, as I noted that not all ROM would have this problem. So if you have problem sending messages, you can manually apply the tweak yourself (see the update on 11th Sept)

INSTALLATION NOTE FOR THOSE WHO HAD PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED V1.0: When you run the CAB (version 1.1), you will be prompted if you would like to restart when the previous version is uninstalled. DO NOT RESTART, so that version 1.1 can be installed immediately after that. If you choose RESTART at this point, your SMS may be lost as a result. RESTART only after version 1.1 has been installed successfully.

Update (11th September 2009) - First Release

In some ROM, there's additional registry entries found in the ROM which would impede the ability to send SMS in the Winmo text messaging application. You can find the manual fix here, while I work on implementing this fix in the CAB.

Update (5th September 2009)

I have updated the CAB not only to install the patch utility, but also to apply the tweak configuration at the point of installation (i.e. step 1 to 4 are automated by the CAB). You will be prompted to restart your device at the end of the installation, like this

Screen03.jpgScreen04.jpg

The tweak is reversible by just uninstalling the CAB from Settings > Remove Program. Again, you will be prompted to restart your device to effect the changes, as below

Screen05.jpg

However, take note that moving from one mode to another mode might lose your text messages, so please make sure you do a proper backup when you install/uninstall. If you are using myphone, you may have to restore the deleted messages from the web, before syncing back to your phone.

Tested to work in the following ROMs

(take note that if the ROM is not listed here it doesn't mean it won't work, it just been that it has not been tested/reported)

1. Dutty's Leo R2
2. PDAViet V58 build 23045, V59/60 build 23047
3. eXperience V 6.0
4. nrgz genesis
5. RTT LEET R4

Manual Steps

Step 1.
Disable HTC messaging service by either removing the registry or rename the DLL in HKLM\services\MSG. e.g. I rename "MessagingService.dll" to "MessagingService.dllx" This will enable Winmo to take over the entire messaging send/receive function, without this, you can only receive text messages but not able to use winmo app to send terxt message (Although you can still send using the slow HTC messaging app, but it'll create some inconsistency).
Step 2.
Change the default text messaging app from HTC messaging to Winmo's Pocket outlook (tmail.exe) by removing the registry or renaming the account in HKLM\system\inbox\externalaccounts. In my case, I rename "SMS" to "SMS.htc"
Step 3.
Install the attached cab file to fix the missing unread count status (read below for more information)
Step 4
Soft reset your phone, and you are set to go!
Something to note (as a result of the tweak)

1. Missing Unread count on the Messaging tab

First thing you will notice if you do not execute step 3 (as above), is that the messaging tab will never show any unread count bubble, even if there is a new incoming SMS. That said, you will still get SMS notification (i.e. notification sound, notification icon in the taskbar, etc)

Step 3 basically is a workaround fix utility, that fixes the problem by monitoring new incoming SMS and set unread count appropriately. It'll monitor the notification queue, and unset the read count once you processed the SMS notification. However, due to the way HTC implements its notification manager, which takes over standard Windows notification management, in some rare cases, the notification queue might be missed, and as a result you might see the read count not unset even though you have taken the necessary action (i.e. open the new SMS, dismiss the SMS notification, or set new SMS to read). When this happens, just soft-reset your HD, and you should be fine.

2. Missing MMS function

I have a temporary solution to enable MMS function in the Windows text messaging application. However, there's abit of problem in the time of the message transmitted, so I'm not posting the solution yet. You can however, do a google search on "arcsoft MMS" application, if this is one area you cannot live without.

Last edited:

somchai15

Jun 1, 2007
Seminyak(Bali)
Message Count

Hi,

excellent idea - however got a Question:
I am using Miri's Rev 7.1 without HTC Messaging (t4 assume that he uses as similar workaround as yu have presented here?).
Still the TF3D Messaging Tab is totally useless and I t4 removed the Tab fm Touch Flo as well.:p
Instead I put the "Text" shortcut into the Quick Links - that works just fine as it brings me direct into the Inbox (Threaded messaging I switched off as well).
Only problem: I do not get a Message Count with the "Text" Quick Link.
Do yu think there is a way to add a message Count to this Link - resp wud installing Yr cab just add this capability to the "Text" link??
If that wud be working...well..I wud be def a very very happy Man!:rolleyes:

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Hi,

excellent idea - however got a Question:
I am using Miri's Rev 7.1 without HTC Messaging (t4 assume that he uses as similar workaround as yu have presented here?).
Still the TF3D Messaging Tab is totally useless and I t4 removed the Tab fm Touch Flo as well.:p
Instead I put the "Text" shortcut into the Quick Links - that works just fine as it brings me direct into the Inbox (Threaded messaging I switched off as well).
Only problem: I do not get a Message Count with the "Text" Quick Link.
Do yu think there is a way to add a message Count to this Link - resp wud installing Yr cab just add this capability to the "Text" link??
If that wud be working...well..I wud be def a very very happy Man!:rolleyes:

yes the CAB file contains a patch exe file to be run at startup, to address the message count problem you have described.

from what you've described, it looks like Miri has not eliminate the HTC messaging completely, because if the tweak is done properly, any SMS tasks (read, compose, etc) will by default open up the Windows Mobile messaging app, there's no need to create any additional shortcut. The CAB's installation process will take care of these tweak setups to ensure that.

if you just want the patch utility, you can extract the SMS Patch.exe from the CAB, and place it in Startup folder.

somchai15

Jun 1, 2007
Seminyak(Bali)
Hi,

unfortunately this doesnt seem to work at all with the Miri Rev 7.1 ROM.
I tried to install the entire cab as well as the SMS Patch by itself (separate of course and resetting in between).
Once the SMSPatch exe is active I can't send/receive sms at all anymore.
Once all is un-installed send/receiving sms works again (= its sure the SMS Patch exe that kills my Messaging fm working at all :().
Guess I have to life with the fact that I won't be able to get a message count via the "Text" Quick Link - as long as I keep the Messaging Touch Flo Tab unloaded.
Thanks for yr effort anyhow - and I hope it works with other ROM's.:cool:

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Hi,

unfortunately this doesnt seem to work at all with the Miri Rev 7.1 ROM.
I tried to install the entire cab as well as the SMS Patch by itself (separate of course and resetting in between).
Once the SMSPatch exe is active I can't send/receive sms at all anymore.
Once all is un-installed send/receiving sms works again (= its sure the SMS Patch exe that kills my Messaging fm working at all :().
Guess I have to life with the fact that I won't be able to get a message count via the "Text" Quick Link - as long as I keep the Messaging Touch Flo Tab unloaded.
Thanks for yr effort anyhow - and I hope it works with other ROM's.:cool:

SMS Patch by itself doesn't do any intrusive task to the SMS, i.e. it doesn't overtake HTC or Windows messaging, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.

You should look at the manual steps I have documented earlier, to see what went wrong for you, because these are the key steps in order for a SMS application to be 'registered' as official messaging application in Windows Mobile env.

mauriceheath

May 16, 2009
Bangor
Great work zenkinz, SMS Patch is working a treat here, now got unread count bubble and can send and receive texts with WM messaging. Still hoping you can come up with a working MMS solution but this isn't as important to me as having MSVC announce incoming messages which HTC messaging blocks.

Thanks for all your hard work!

BigE

Jan 25, 2007
Southern CA
Can't install the cab

I am using PhamQuang's V55 ROM (23041) and have manually followed the registry changes, but trying to install the cab, gets me a message it was unsuccessful. I guess there is an open file that can not be override..

Any idea? I tried turning everything off.. Did not work. Even after soft reset it does not. So currently I get it to be working without the count. Another annoying part is from the Manila window it still opens the HTC SMS...

BigE

fireblade893

May 4, 2008
Hi thanks very much for the CAB file.

I am running Dutty's Leo R2 rom with SMS Chat 1.25 but it would not allow me to send texts , I could only use HTC Messaging if in classic mode ,the threaded mode would not open the text.

I have just installed the CAB file now and tested it and SMS Chat now works again as does threaded chat in WM Messaging.

Very pleased about this as I was looking at other roms for phone as was sick of text problems. :D:D:D:D:D

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Hi,

thanks - I checked in my Registry - and both entries as in yr Point 1 & 2 do not exist in my Registry...:confused:

can you check what's the protocol in HKLM\Comm\Cellular\SMS? This is the one that determines how to handle incoming and outgoing SMS.

It looks like Miri does some tweaking that's not compatible with my findings. I have tried Dutty, NGR as well as PDAViet, all doesn't have any problem. I just didn't try this on Miri.

somchai15

Jun 1, 2007
Seminyak(Bali)
can you check what's the protocol in HKLM\Comm\Cellular\SMS? This is the one that determines how to handle incoming and outgoing SMS.

It looks like Miri does some tweaking that's not compatible with my findings. I have tried Dutty, NGR as well as PDAViet, all doesn't have any problem. I just didn't try this on Miri.

Hi,

there are a lot of entries there...all somehow connected to tmail.exe - however I still get the threaded HTC Messaging screen when tapping on the the Message displayed via TF3D (and if going for "All Messages" the normal WM Messaging).
Assume it has something to do with the tweaking Miri did and where he overlooked something somehow....no worries!
Tks a lot for yr efforts and support! :)

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
there are a lot of entries there...all somehow connected to tmail.exe - however I still get the threaded HTC Messaging screen when tapping on the the Message displayed via TF3D (and if going for "All Messages" the normal WM Messaging).
Assume it has something to do with the tweaking Miri did and where he overlooked something somehow....no worries!
Tks a lot for yr efforts and support! :)

what you described is the normal behaviour of messaging even in the manila 2.1, where a tap on the message in the message tab brings you to the contact's threaded messaging tab.

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
I am using PhamQuang's V55 ROM (23041) and have manually followed the registry changes, but trying to install the cab, gets me a message it was unsuccessful. I guess there is an open file that can not be override..

Any idea? I tried turning everything off.. Did not work. Even after soft reset it does not. So currently I get it to be working without the count. Another annoying part is from the Manila window it still opens the HTC SMS...

BigE

try this CAB just for the patch file if you have done the necessary registry editing.

iky10

Sep 8, 2005
any1 tried this method, using this rom with htc messaging or others using the the patch provided here, disabling htc sms, import sms using Pim Backup or MS Myphone, and enable HTC sms by uninstalling the patch, does htc sms work smoothly, any feedback.

Edit: it works but msgs dont get display jus says compose, when scrolling up and down in manilla they show up, not when u go into it.

Last edited:

xlinkx

Sep 12, 2008
I wasn't able to rename SMS to SMS.htc in step 2. How do I remove the registry?

vua777

Jun 13, 2005
must do step 2 manual and it work, press new msg & all msg from manila bring the wm app on, great fix