One stop FAQ thread and Root guide..Noob Friendly ( all questions go here )

Search This thread

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Still adding to my part as well, don't worry :p

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

No worries partner...Lol. I haven't got to my new additions yet...I'm moving and my PC HDD took a crap. So I'm waiting until I get settled before I finish my root guide and I've found some interesting things to add to a flashing guide...

triskropf97

Dec 5, 2012
I don't own or use this tab it's my dad's but it's a 4G Verizon, it's got an older cm build on and it needs a update the thread I want to look at is the 10.1v? Orrrr?? Also p3, p4 What's the dif?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

eushaun99

Feb 8, 2013
Subang Jaya
I don't own or use this tab it's my dad's but it's a 4G Verizon, it's got an older cm build on and it needs a update the thread I want to look at is the 10.1v? Orrrr?? Also p3, p4 What's the dif?

Your dad's tab should be the p4vzw. P4 is the 3g variant, p4wifi is the WiFi only version and p3 is the 10.1v. Can you give me a screenshot of your settings -> about?

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

triskropf97

Dec 5, 2012
Your dad's tab should be the p4vzw. P4 is the 3g variant, p4wifi is the WiFi only version and p3 is the 10.1v. Can you give me a screenshot of your settings -> about?

Well I haven't even seen any roms for the p4vzw.. and thanks for clarifying! But like if p4 and 10.1v are the same what is it? Another carrier? And yes I'll get u one

eushaun99

Feb 8, 2013
Subang Jaya
Well I haven't even seen any roms for the p4vzw.. and thanks for clarifying! But like if p4 and 10.1v are the same what is it? Another carrier? And yes I'll get u one

There are a couple of 4.2.2 ROMs for the p4vzw that I know of. Official cm 10.1 and Infamous AOKP. I forgot the differences between 10.1 (p4) and 10.1v (p3) but I do know that they are totally different.

Edit: just did some research...turns out the 'v' stands for Vodafone. It is a fatter version and has a 8 mp camera.

Last edited:

triskropf97

Dec 5, 2012
There are a couple of 4.2.2 ROMs for the p4vzw that I know of. Official cm 10.1 and Infamous AOKP. I forgot the differences between 10.1 (p4) and 10.1v (p3) but I do know that they are totally different.

Edit: just did some research...turns out the 'v' stands for Vodafone. It is a fatter version and has a 8 mp camera.

ra7u4etu.jpg
there's your pic.. and thanks alot man.. the aokp is 4.1.2 right? Also can u link me to both if its not a bother? Thanks again in advance..

eushaun99

Feb 8, 2013
Subang Jaya
ra7u4etu.jpg
there's your pic.. and thanks alot man.. the aokp is 4.1.2 right? Also can u link me to both if its not a bother? Thanks again in advance..

Yeah, its the p4vzw. Infamous AOKP (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2220912) is 4.2.2. Here's the link to the cm10.1 thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2074202. Be sure to flash the gapps from the cm10.1 thread for both ROMs as the standard gapps have issues for our tabs.

triskropf97

Dec 5, 2012

SearchEngine

Mar 5, 2013
Athens
Problem with recovery

Guys when i'm going in the recovery and apply update from sdcard it says : unknown volume path from /sdcard and it doesn't shows anything.Any help?

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Guys when i'm going in the recovery and apply update from sdcard it says : unknown volume path from /sdcard and it doesn't shows anything.Any help?

Stock recovery...I'm assuming. Man its been ages since I seen stock. Lol

Is there a mount sdcard option....if so. Pick it and then apply update....

I will pass this along to our stock guy...he runs stock and will be better equipped to answer you're question...I'm more of the root , flash , mod type.

Reactions: Soryuu

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
I like this idea... Would a stock rom FAQ help as well?

What's up buddy...If you're not to busy..can you take a look at post 31..

A member has a question about recovery and I think its stock recovery. So I thought you might be able to help him out..if not, it cool. I can flash a stock recovery and look around..

Thanks...gil81

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland
What's up buddy...If you're not to busy..can you take a look at post 31..

A member has a question about recovery and I think its stock recovery. So I thought you might be able to help him out..if not, it cool. I can flash a stock recovery and look around..

Thanks...gil81

Thanks for the heads up. I've looked around and seemed to have found a sort of an answer. :D

So I assume you're using stock recovery and when you say "it doesn't show anything" I also assume you mean that there are no options to select...

I haven't had this error myself (kept to stock, unrooted), so I may be wrong here (and anyone, please correct me if I am)

The error you're mentioning - the E:unknown volume path from /sdcard: is most likely due to using the stock recovery.

On other devices, it means that simply, this partition doesn't exist at all, which is pretty much the case here as well.

It may be to do with the tablet having one partition for both the /data as well as the internal storage, meaning that apps, app data and files that you have - music, pictures, videos, documents etc - on the tablet are all on this one partition, thereby making up the roughly 14GB free of storage available. So the stock recovery won't be able to detect any files here.

What I assume is the way to fix this: flash CWM via Odin. This theoretically should allow you to access the zip you're trying to flash once you boot into recovery.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I'm assuming your screen looks like this...

dumy8etu.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gil81

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Thanks for the heads up. I've looked around and seemed to have found a sort of an answer. :D

So I assume you're using stock recovery and when you say "it doesn't show anything" I also assume you mean that there are no options to select...

I haven't had this error myself (kept to stock, unrooted), so I may be wrong here (and anyone, please correct me if I am)

The error you're mentioning - the E:unknown volume path from /sdcard: is most likely due to using the stock recovery.
On other devices, it means that simply, this partition doesn't exist at all, which is pretty much the case here as well.

It may be to do with the tablet having one partition for both the /data as well as the internal storage, meaning that apps, app data and files that you have - music, pictures, videos, documents etc - on the tablet are all on this one partition, thereby making up the roughly 14GB free of storage available. So the stock recovery won't be able to detect any files here.

What I assume is the way to fix this: flash CWM via Odin. This theoretically should allow you to access the zip you're trying to flash once you boot into recovery.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I'm assuming your screen looks like this...

dumy8etu.jpg

Good quick response superman....Lol

But I think he's using an update zip made for stock recovery...I've never seen one for cwm/twrp recovery...

Or maybe he has his terminology wrong and is indeed using a ROM zip on stock recovery...

I guess he'll let us know..

Thanks for all the help....trying to make this a success...:good:

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland
Good quick response superman....Lol

But I think he's using an update zip made for stock recovery...I've never seen one for cwm/twrp recovery...

Or maybe he has his terminology wrong and is indeed using a ROM zip on stock recovery...

I guess he'll let us know..

Thanks for all the help....trying to make this a success...:good:

No worries :p

That picture's from my own tablet and I didn't even try to flash in anything. In stock recovery, when you try to select the option of "Apply update.zip from sdcard", that error and the supposedly "empty" /sdcard comes up. So it doesn't really matter what you're trying to do because you'll run into that anyway.

Usually you'd be able to see your folders and and any zips you have, but in stock revoery there's nothing.

So I'm pretty sure after you flash CWM/TWRP with Odin, you flash in the root file (there was an updated root.zip somewhere..) but I dunno, you're the root guy :p

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
No worries :p

That picture's from my own tablet and I didn't even try to flash in anything. In stock recovery, when you try to select the option of "Apply update.zip from sdcard", that error and the supposedly "empty" /sdcard comes up. So it doesn't really matter what you're trying to do because you'll run into that anyway.

Usually you'd be able to see your folders and and any zips you have, but in stock revoery there's nothing.

So I'm pretty sure after you flash CWM/TWRP with Odin, you flash in the root file (there was an updated root.zip somewhere..) but I dunno, you're the root guy :p

Lmao...dude I'm a bone head...

I think the zip I uploaded for root is labeled update zip...Lol. If that's the case then a custom recovery flash will get him home. If he watched the linked qbking vid...

But on pre ICS recovery...you have an update from zip option...I just wasn't sure if the sdcard needed to be mounted...I think it does , to apply the zip....but this is all speculation on my part and from what I read. I came to this device and put ICS ota on it and never seen gingerbread stock recovery...

The update zip I'm referring to is the root zip ( for gingerbread ) update or the ICS update zip....it can be flashed from gingerbread recovery( stock ).

I wish he'd jump in...I guess I'll shoot him a pm..

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland

I think the zip I uploaded for root is labeled update zip...Lol. If that's the case then a custom recovery flash will get him home. If he watched the linked qbking vid...

But on pre ICS recovery...you have an update from zip option...I just wasn't sure if the sdcard needed to be mounted...I think it does , to apply the zip....but this is all speculation on my part and from what I read. I came to this device and put ICS ota on it and never seen gingerbread stock recovery...

The update zip I'm referring to is the root zip ( for gingerbread ) update or the ICS update zip....it can be flashed from gingerbread recovery( stock ).

I have a Galaxy S, a Gingerbread device. Just to see if the same applied I booted into stock recovery (I don't know why I stay on stock but I do, at least it has good battery), and lo and behold, all my folders and any zip files I had came up.

Hmmm. Then again, my Galaxy S has seperate partitions for /data and /sdcard, unlike the Tab 10.1 on ICS (I barely ever got to use this on Honeycomb so I have no idea how the storage partitions work on Honeycomb)
On other devices that problem's fixed by using an app and mounting the sdcard or the internal storage, you're right. The obvious problem is though that the Tab 10.1 lacks an external SD card and a seperate partition for it.
@SearchEngine, please respond either here or to @Gil81's PMs... I think its a case of needing a bit more info.
If we can find out what you're doing -whether you're using stock recovery or not and what exactly you're flahing - we may be able to diagnose the problem better.

SearchEngine

Mar 5, 2013
Athens

Guys thanks i lot for the replies.I should flash a custom recovery from odin but i haven't a pc lol.I'll go to a friend and flash it.Any good gaming roms to try?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Noob Friendly Q & A & Stock ROM FAQs

I would like to give a big shout out to.. @Soryuu . He has added a great Stock ROM FAQs section to this thread. Please Thank Him, as he has covered a lot of questions I've seen asked by unrooted users..and without his support. This thread would not be moving ahead....

This thread is for all members and any questions you may have..... roms/kernels/recovery/root/bootloops/etc.

Please.... if you can answer a question, do it respectfully. No Flaming will be Tolerated...

This thread is an attempt to clean up the Q & A section and in so doing...create an encyclopedia like thread for new members looking for answers to questions that have been asked and answered before.

I'm going to include a rooting guide soon as well as a how to for flashing roms.. Let's make this a Success..

Thanks...
    I would like to Thank the following members for their Support
    @Soryuu
    @eushaun99
    I would also like to Thank these members from the E4GT forum
    @jdsingle76 ... For his support, guidance, and patience when I first joined XDA...
    @micmars ... For making me laugh..:p and his support as I learn...
    @BluesRulez ... For making the thread in the E4GT forum that made me want to make this thread and all his contributions to that forum...
    @ktempleton ... For his support when I made a SlimBean Q&A for his ROMs..( almost unneeded because they are so well built...:good:
    @Stryke_the_Orc ... For his support and contributions in the E4GT forum. That makes me want to be more helpful...
    @bilgerryan ... For his support and contributions in the E4GT forum. That shows me how much a single person can contribute...
    And about ten others I can't remember...Thanks Everybody...
    Stock rom FAQ!

The complete FAQ for stock roms!​

Before I start, I'd like to give a massive thank you to @Gil81, who let me create and maintain this section of his thread - give all your thanks to him as he was the one who started this idea in the first place to provide everyone with a One Stop thread.
    Also to @eushaun99, who's helped a hell of a lot in this thread and provided some knowledge I didn't even know before, as well as providing help to users when both GIl and I couldn't.

UPDATE: Sorry guys, but I'm going away again until the 11th! Any queries I could answer, please leave a comment and I'll update this portion of the thread :D

This is meant to serve as a complete guide to the stock roms on the Galaxy Tab 10.1. @Gil81 has all the comprehensive guides to rooting and flashing custom roms you'll need.
    So who is this section of the One Stop FAQ for?
    • Those new to the tablet
    • Those who want to stick to stock
    Let me know if there are any other questions to do with stock roms and I'll try answer them as best as I can and add them to this post.

Before anything, the first thing to do is clarify which model device you have.
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi and 3G enabled variant has the device model P7500 and has the device code p4
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi only variant has the device model P7510 and the device code p4wifi
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1v Stock android variant for Vodafone has the device model P7100 and the device code p3
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Verizon has the device model SCH-I905 and the device code p4vzw

This section of the FAQ will mostly cater for the P75x0 variants, as I have absolutely no experience with the 10.1v, nor the American variants (though if someone is willing to supply information about them, I'll add it to this thread)
    So, once you've got your device model, read on :D

All about stock firmwares​

1.) Is there an official Jelly Bean upgrade for this tablet? Or will there be one?

Sadly, no. Samsung dropped Jelly Bean support for its first gen tablets (except the 7.7 and the Tab plus) some time back. However, earlier this year, Sammobile picked up on a rumour about the Tab 10.1 and a Jelly Bean build under testing. However, we've heard nothing since. Here's to hoping.

2.) Where can I get a stock rom from?

Right here. In the search box, type in either P7500 or P7510 depending on your model. You need to have an account in order to be able to access the download links.

3.) How can I update my tablet to ICS?

There are three ways.
    One way is to use the Software Update option found in Settings -> About device. If you are able to upgrade and you aren't rooted, then this is one way. Better do it over wifi though because its a pretty hefty update.
    Another way is to use Samsung Kies, the official PC program meant to be used in conjunction to Samsung devices. If you have Kies installed, just plug your Tab into your computer and if you have an update waiting, Kies will automatically tell you. Again, you can't be rooted for Kies to work properly.
    The third way is doing it manually.

Please read the corresponding instructions VERY carefully! Messing up something with Odin can go horribly wrong. If you don't want to use those articles/feel unsafe about doing so, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

And any firmware, as long as its for your device, can be used- any stock rom can be used in these guides given above.
    A nice video to demonstrate how Odin's used to flash the tablet (for both models) can be seen here.

Common issues on stock 4.0.4​

4.) I notice quite a lot of battery drain using my tablet on ICS. What's going on?

What's been discovered is that there are certain wakelocks in the kernel keeping the tablet awake, and stopping it from going into Deep Idle mode. These wakelocks also seem to be draining battery in the background by keeping the CPU awake (and apparently at max clock speed- 1Ghz- as well)...
    There are a few fixes.
    P7500 owners can look here for the best fix and an explanation as to what's going on.
    P7510 owners sadly don't have the same fix, however, do read that link to see what's going on and try this as well and see if that improves anything.

5.) The Youtube app's really laggy. What's causing this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra
    Yes, its the Tegra 2 processor inside our tablet. While good for games, sadly, its horrible at video playback. Its has trouble decoding HD videos from the web.

6.) How come my tablet can't play HD .avis or .mkvs easily?

Again, its a case of the Tegra 2 not being able to play high quality videos well enough for standard use. There is seemingly no fix for this, but the workaround is to install a third-market video player and run with it.

Stock applications​

7.) I don't use some of the apps preinstalled on the stock rom. How can I get rid of them?

Some pre-loaded applications are uninstallable by default. These include:
    • Swype
    • Polaris Office
    • Zinio (magazine client, in Reader's Hub)
    • Kobo (ebook reader, Reader's Hub)
    • Press Reader (newspaper reader, Reader's Hub)
    • Reader's Hub
    • Aurora2 (live wallpaper)
    • Blue Sea (live wallpaper)
    • Holo Spiral (live wallpaper)

If you want to uninstall any other apps that you don't use then you have to root first then use an app like Titanium or Root Explorer to delete them.

8.) I've accidentally deleted an apk that I desperately need back. What should I do?

This applies to the apps that are readily uninstallable listed above, although this may also apply to system apks.

Unfortunately, flashing a stock rom over your current one does not restore the apk. In fact, when you boot up you tablet, chances are nothing will have changed.
    To fix this, you need to do a factory reset. Which means you'll need to do a backup of all your data and files and then wipe the tablet.

I'm not entirely sure why this happens so if someone could fill me in on this I'll add this into this section.

9.) The stock rom lags too much! What can I do?

Sadly, yeah, the stock rom does lag a lot.
    For the best answer to this question, well, take a look at Gil's guide above and there you'll find all manner of roms for Jelly Bean that will/should make things a whole lot smoother.
    Having root on stock will allow you to:
    • Delete unneccesary system apps that are running in the background
    • Overclock the CPU by flashing a new kernel
    • Add other compatible tweaks and scripts to optimise the system.

USB connections​

10.) I've plugged in my tablet to my PC and I can see a red X on the battery icon. What does this mean?

Don't panic - this is meant to happen. USB charging on the tablet's been disabled due to the slow speed. It doesn't mean you have a connection problem or anything.

11.) After upgrading to official ICS, my USB connections don't work! What next?

Take a look at this thread for one solution to this problem, as discovered by @KrimsonFL (and give thanks to him) - if any other fixes arise I'll post them here.

This post will constantly be updated with any questions I see in the Q&A forum that I think will be useful to all users. So stay tuned as this list grows ;)
    Great work @Gil81 and @Soryuu. Unfortunately I don't think this will do much help as not many people come here and those who ask questions don't really search. But I think you should get a mod to get this stickied so that everyone can see this easier.

And @Soryuu, you should probably use that fifth post of yours as the stock ROM FAQ or get a mod to push your post up to the third post.

I've subscribed to this thread and I'll help as much as I can to get this thing up and running. If there's any help just ask me and I'll try my best. :)

Great work @Gil81 and @Soryuu. Unfortunately I don't think this will do much help as not many people come here and those who ask questions don't really search. But I think you should get a mod to get this stickied so that everyone can see this easier.

And @Soryuu, you should probably use that fifth post of yours as the stock ROM FAQ or get a mod to push your post up to the third post.

I've subscribed to this thread and I'll help as much as I can to get this thing up and running. If there's any help just ask me and I'll try my best. :)

Thanks...I know I'm late to the game getting this started..but I also think it can be a great help to members...Especially with such knowledgeable members, such as you and @Soryuu , helping out..Thanks again.
    I've moved the Stock ROM FAQ up to the fifth post, so now its easier to see!