[APP][2.3+] FTPDroid (2.1.0) - Pure-FTPd ported to Android

Search This thread

berserker_devel

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
FTPDroid is an FTP server for Android that will let you to manage files and folders on your device without the USB cable.
Why FTPDroid is the best FTP server for Android? Because it's not YAFS (Yet Another FTP Server) since is a native port to Android of best FTP server around: Pure-FTPd

The benefits of using this application are:
  • Transfer files and folders to/from any computer and your device without the need of the USB cable.
  • No need anymore to mount/unmount the SD card.
  • Easily share files with other devices (Android or anything else, see the FAQs)
  • Keep the USB port of your device safe.

image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png

Features
  • Anonymous access
  • Configurable users
  • Restrict access to specific folders
  • Active and passive mode
  • Multiple files transfers
  • UTF-8 support
  • Root support to allow binding on standard FTP port 21 (please note that root is supported but NOT required)
  • SSL/TLS support (pro)
  • App widget (pro)
FAQs
  • q: How can I share files with another device?
    a: Look for an FTP client (every system like Android, iOS and Windows Phone has its own).
  • q: Why my transfer speed decrease when I turn off the screen?
    a: Enable the option 'Lock Wifi'. If your device is running at least Android 2.3.x, you should get full speed transfer even when the screen is off, otherwise enable the option 'Lock screen' too.
  • q: How can I disable anonymous access?
    a: Please follow the instructions in the help (open the menu from the main page of the application).
  • q: How can I automate the application start/stop?
    a: Use the following broadcast intents:
    • START: berserker.android.apps.ftpdroid.command.START
    • STOP: berserker.android.apps.ftpdroid.command.STOP
FTPDroid on Google Play

Changelog 2.1.0
  • Optimized layout for tablets
  • Fixed a problem with in-app purchase restore
  • Google Play Services updated
  • Minor UI changes
Changelog 2.0.3
  • fixed file overwrite issue
Changelog 2.0.2
  • minor changes
Changelog 2.0.1
  • complete UI rewrite!
  • sperimental x86/mips support
  • armeabi-v7a performance improvement
  • AdChecker removed
  • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
  • new option to enable/disable an ftp user
  • new option "autostart service"
  • new option "enable root"
  • new option "anonymous can read dotfiles"
  • new option "resolve hostname"
  • better home folder selection
  • no more adchecker (pro version has more features)
  • SSL/TLS support (pro version)
  • WiFi white list (pro version)
  • Transfers page (pro version)
  • Widget support (pro version)
Changelog 1.2.0
  • ICS compatibility fixes
  • Active connections are now closed correctly once the service is stopped
  • Translations updated
Changelog 1.1.0
  • Bandwidth (download/upload) can now be limited
  • The main application icon can now be long pressed to toggle the FTP service (short press is supported too)
  • Notification icon can be disabled
  • New translations: chinese, croatian, french, germanm italian, polish, russian and ukrainian
  • AdMob SDK update (free version only)
  • AdChecker now allows to revert the hosts file (free version only)
welg.png
If you want to become a beta tester of this app please follow these steps:
Support this project

Last edited:

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
If you want to translate FTPDroid into a new language:
  • download the attached file (translate.zip)
  • edit the xml inside the zip (strings.xml) in this way:

Original line:
    <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">Invalid password</string>
    Translated line:
    <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">My translation of Invalid password</string>
    Please do not translate anything inside the "name" attribute:
    <string name="do not translate this">
    But only:
    <string name="my_key">Please translate only this part</string>
  • Attach in this topic a modified version of the file or send me a pm with the download link (please remember to indicate the new language!)

I'll be glad for every contribution :)

Available translations:

Attachments

• translate.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Reactions: imakul8 and bajica

silvio82

Mar 2, 2005
Installed the server, launched it says "ready" with ip address, but inserting this address in any ftp client it isn't reachable. It's limited to wifi? i'm in 3G.

Last edited:

silvio82

Mar 2, 2005
Yes with wifi it work, but wifi for me means home and the utility of this apps decrease....;-)

Inviato dal mio Desire HD usando Tapatalk

daniel.mitran

May 15, 2008
Bucharest
Best FTP-server app. :)

+1 :)

Thanks you berserker for the post, I've already bought the paid version.

A question: I like like the possibility to start at boot, always run in the background and activate itself only when on wi-fi (at work and at home).
But I keep getting notifications (in the notification bar and toasts) which kind of annoy me.
Could you add a "silent mode", always run in the background without notification (if I have a problem with the app I could open the interface and see whats going on, if tis active or not)?
Or could you at least add an option to hide it from the notification bar? I know that the android system could stop it automatically if it doesn't reside in the notification bar but :
- I like to have only notifications in that bar, the more apps use that space the less useful it becomes
- on latest devices we have at least 512MB RAM so apps closed by the garbage collector is not a real issue (I run WidgetLocker without the notification and it was "garbaged" only 3-4 times in 6 months)

Thanks again for the app, even with the small issue above is still the best Android ftp server (and I say this after testing almost all of them)

Last edited:

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
A question: I like like the possibility to start at boot, always run in the background and activate itself only when on wi-fi (at work and at home).
But I keep getting notifications (in the notification bar and toasts) which kind of annoy me.
Could you add a "silent mode", always run in the background without notification (if I have a problem with the app I could open the interface and see whats going on, if tis active or not)?
Or could you at least add an option to hide it from the notification bar? I know that the android system could stop it automatically if it doesn't reside in the notification bar but :
- I like to have only notifications in that bar, the more apps use that space the less useful it becomes
- on latest devices we have at least 512MB RAM so apps closed by the garbage collector is not a real issue (I run WidgetLocker without the notification and it was "garbaged" only 3-4 times in 6 months)
Hi, I didn't add the option to disable the notification exactly because of what you wrote:
I know that the android system could stop it automatically if it doesn't reside in the notification bar but...
Btw I can easily add it for the next release since you know what you are doing :) (maybe with an alert for other users).
Thanks for your suggestions!

Reactions: imakul8

Caz2k11

Dec 7, 2010
Looks good but i was just wondering on the speed.

Is there a automatic cap for speed or can one be set manually.
If i wanted too say move a 100mb file from one phone too another or too pc could i set the speed level so it does not disrupt any other services i have running on wifi.
I would like too be able too lower speed so it just does the job in the background.

Iv not tried this or downloaded it yet,but do intend too but was just wondering about the speed thing.
I see from the small list of thing you wrote that they are pretty much just the same as what can be done with bluetooth.Could you tell me the advantage of using this over normal bluetooth.

I don't have bluetooth on any laptop/pc in my house so thats one gain id say,any others ?

Thanks looking like a great app at the moment.

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
Looks good but i was just wondering on the speed.

Is there a automatic cap for speed or can one be set manually.
If i wanted too say move a 100mb file from one phone too another or too pc could i set the speed level so it does not disrupt any other services i have running on wifi.
I would like too be able too lower speed so it just does the job in the background.

Iv not tried this or downloaded it yet,but do intend too but was just wondering about the speed thing.
I see from the small list of thing you wrote that they are pretty much just the same as what can be done with bluetooth.Could you tell me the advantage of using this over normal bluetooth.

I don't have bluetooth on any laptop/pc in my house so thats one gain id say,any others ?

Thanks looking like a great app at the moment.
Hi, most of the times the speed must me as high as possible and you probably known that Bluetooth is slow compared to WiFI (it's an advantage even if you don't need it :)). Other advantages are: public access, users management, folders restriction and all the FTP stuffs in general (moreover you already wrote that not all devices are equipped with bluetooth).
I take a look in the Pure-FTPd documentation (please remember that this is a native port of the same application that runs on most FTP servers, so the "feature" must be supported by Pure-FTPd itself) and it seems that bandwith limit is supported (more info here at "BANDWIDTH THROTTLING" chapter). I'll have a look on it for the next release ;)

Last edited:

Caz2k11

Dec 7, 2010
Hi, most of the times the speed must me as high as possible and you probably known that Bluetooth is slow compared to WiFI (it's an advantage even if you don't need it :)). Other advantages are: public access, users management, folders restriction and all the FTP stuffs in general (moreover you already wrote that not all devices are equipped with bluetooth).
I take a look in the Pure-FTPd documentation (please remember that this is a native port of the same application that runs on most FTP servers, so the "feature" must be supported by Pure-FTPd itself) and it seems that bandwith limit is supported (more info here at "BANDWIDTH THROTTLING" chapter). I'll have a look on it for the next release ;)

Thanks for reply.

yeah bluetooth is pretty slow but it is also consistent for me.
For me since i have around 3-5 devices connected too my wifi at any one time(not including phones) i find attaching other devices that the norm would be for the device too try obtain the more bandwidth.
Basically all device are trying too get the most bandwidth at one time so if i could restrict what i would see as less important devices(phones) too a limited speed then there would be less strain on the network for other users laptop/pc etc.

Just my thoughts by the way and not by any means a criticism of the app.

thanks again for reply good luck with this i will be testing it today at some time so if i have any feedback ill let you know.Thanks for the link also ill give it a read.

zeeklancer

Oct 24, 2006
I will buy if you can change the icon to match the stock nexus theme. Eg, a flat grey outline no color something that matches like the "alarm" icon in the status bar.

freezor

Apr 9, 2006
Nice work

Looks pretty good. Haven't tested it yet but I will these coming days for sure.

Here's my German translation for it.
I used the html code for special characters so if you have problems displaying it correctly let me know and maybe we can work it out.

cheers
Freezor

Attachments

• strings.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 16

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
Looks pretty good. Haven't tested it yet but I will these coming days for sure.

Here's my German translation for it.
I used the html code for special characters so if you have problems displaying it correctly let me know and maybe we can work it out.

cheers
Freezor
Thanks, no prob for special characters (I fixed them). I'll add your translation as well as others in the next release ;)

nguyen2011

Apr 1, 2011
I have a small suggestion. What do you think about putting the start/stop button on the app home screen for faster access (there's plenty of space there)? Love the auto start feature btw.

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
I have a small suggestion. What do you think about putting the start/stop button on the app home screen for faster access (there's plenty of space there)? Love the auto start feature btw.
Hi, there is already a "button" in app home screen: click on the top left icon (it will toggle the log panel :)).
What about adding to that button a popup menu (with a start/stop item)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FTPDroid is an FTP server for Android that will let you to manage files and folders on your device without the USB cable.
    Why FTPDroid is the best FTP server for Android? Because it's not YAFS (Yet Another FTP Server) since is a native port to Android of best FTP server around: Pure-FTPd

The benefits of using this application are:
    • Transfer files and folders to/from any computer and your device without the need of the USB cable.
    • No need anymore to mount/unmount the SD card.
    • Easily share files with other devices (Android or anything else, see the FAQs)
    • Keep the USB port of your device safe.

image.png
    image.png

image.png
    image.png

Features
    • Anonymous access
    • Configurable users
    • Restrict access to specific folders
    • Active and passive mode
    • Multiple files transfers
    • UTF-8 support
    • Root support to allow binding on standard FTP port 21 (please note that root is supported but NOT required)
    • SSL/TLS support (pro)
    • App widget (pro)
    FAQs
    • q: How can I share files with another device?
      a: Look for an FTP client (every system like Android, iOS and Windows Phone has its own).
    • q: Why my transfer speed decrease when I turn off the screen?
      a: Enable the option 'Lock Wifi'. If your device is running at least Android 2.3.x, you should get full speed transfer even when the screen is off, otherwise enable the option 'Lock screen' too.
    • q: How can I disable anonymous access?
      a: Please follow the instructions in the help (open the menu from the main page of the application).
    • q: How can I automate the application start/stop?
      a: Use the following broadcast intents:
      • START: berserker.android.apps.ftpdroid.command.START
      • STOP: berserker.android.apps.ftpdroid.command.STOP
    FTPDroid on Google Play

Changelog 2.1.0
    • Optimized layout for tablets
    • Fixed a problem with in-app purchase restore
    • Google Play Services updated
    • Minor UI changes
    Changelog 2.0.3
    • fixed file overwrite issue
    Changelog 2.0.2
    • minor changes
    Changelog 2.0.1
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • armeabi-v7a performance improvement
    • AdChecker removed
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • new option to enable/disable an ftp user
    • new option "autostart service"
    • new option "enable root"
    • new option "anonymous can read dotfiles"
    • new option "resolve hostname"
    • better home folder selection
    • no more adchecker (pro version has more features)
    • SSL/TLS support (pro version)
    • WiFi white list (pro version)
    • Transfers page (pro version)
    • Widget support (pro version)
    Changelog 1.2.0
    • ICS compatibility fixes
    • Active connections are now closed correctly once the service is stopped
    • Translations updated
    Changelog 1.1.0
    • Bandwidth (download/upload) can now be limited
    • The main application icon can now be long pressed to toggle the FTP service (short press is supported too)
    • Notification icon can be disabled
    • New translations: chinese, croatian, french, germanm italian, polish, russian and ukrainian
    • AdMob SDK update (free version only)
    • AdChecker now allows to revert the hosts file (free version only)
    welg.png
    If you want to become a beta tester of this app please follow these steps:
    Support this project
    If you want to translate FTPDroid into a new language:
    • download the attached file (translate.zip)
    • edit the xml inside the zip (strings.xml) in this way:

Original line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">Invalid password</string>
      Translated line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">My translation of Invalid password</string>
      Please do not translate anything inside the "name" attribute:
      <string name="do not translate this">
      But only:
      <string name="my_key">Please translate only this part</string>
    • Attach in this topic a modified version of the file or send me a pm with the download link (please remember to indicate the new language!)

I'll be glad for every contribution :)

Available translations:
    Troubleshooting Help

I recently got the update to lollipop on my htc one m8, and the app stopped working. It wasn't auto starting, and when I pressed start the text on screen would flash quickly, and the status would never change from stopped. I uninstalled the ftpdroid app, and re-installed and now the app says the server is running, but I'm not able to connect with a client. I've tried windows, my backup client (syncback), and filezilla. None appear to get any response from my phone and ftpdroid never shows anything in the log. I have the unlocked pro version of ftpdroid, and have signed up to the beta channel but still no luck. Any ideas to help troubleshoot? I am not rooted. Is this a known issue? The new OS has only been available for a couple weeks on the HTC.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

I recently got the update to lollipop on my htc one m8, and the app stopped working. It wasn't auto starting, and when I pressed start the text on screen would flash quickly, and the status would never change from stopped. I uninstalled the ftpdroid app, and re-installed and now the app says the server is running, but I'm not able to connect with a client. I've tried windows, my backup client (syncback), and filezilla. None appear to get any response from my phone and ftpdroid never shows anything in the log. I have the unlocked pro version of ftpdroid, and have signed up to the beta channel but still no luck. Any ideas to help troubleshoot? I am not rooted. Is this a known issue? The new OS has only been available for a couple weeks on the HTC.
    SCRATCH THAT! After seeing reviews from people with my same device on the app that seem to have no problems. I uninstalled the app, and the unlocker app. Reinstalled both apps, rebooted phone, and it's working now! Anyone having issues after a lollipop upgrade should do the same.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

I have the paid version and I am unable to write to the external card. The "Enable Root" option is disabled.

How can I enable the option to allow root access and/or get write access to the external card?

Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 5.0

Kevin

Write access to the SD card has been an OS limitation up until Lollipop. The "enable root (if available)" option is disabled for me too, but my phone is not rooted, so that is expected. Is your phone rooted? If you have the paid version and your phone is rooted, than you may actually have a valid problem, but it appears to me that you need a rooted phone to be able to use the enable root option. Hopefully the developer will integrate the SD card write access features made available in Lollipop soon so even those of us without root access will be able to write to our SD cards via FTP server again. I'm assuming you have a special requirement for the FTP functionality, but if you're just trying to copy a file to your phone via wifi, write access to SD is integrated into ES file explorer already, and you can copy from an ftp server or other network location to your SD card manually in the meantime.
    Best FTP-server app. :) I can help with translation into Russian and Ukrainian.
    Hi, thanks for your help ;)
    I modified the second post with the instructions for making a new translation, if you have any question write me a pm.
    Thanks again ! ;)
    Installed the server, launched it says "ready" with ip address, but inserting this address in any ftp client it isn't reachable. It's limited to wifi? i'm in 3G.
    Hi, it's not "limited" to WiFi but on 3G is carrier dipendent...does it work on WiFi?