[GUIDE] Root T999 (variants) on android 4.3 AND remove knox

Search This thread

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal

WARNING: Following any of these instructions WILL void your warranty,
and could possibly cause irreparable harm to your device (i.e. bricked)
If you do Not understand these risks, stop here and do Not proceed.
If you do Not know how to use Odin, stop here and do Not proceed.
This guide is ONLY for SGH-T999 variants that are ALREADY RUNNING android 4.3
If you do Not have a SGH-T999 variant, stop here and do Not proceed.
If you are Not currently running android 4.3, stop here and do Not proceed.
I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. YOU chose to follow this guide.

I have the SGH-T999V (samsung galaxy S3, canada, Videotron)
I flashed the full 4.3 firmware from samsung-updates.com as soon as it became available ... and then I tried to root it the usual ways
However knox prevented the superSu app from running, and it closed immediately, and obviously root was Not available to any app

This method will obtain ROOT and REMOVE the knox garbage
note ... altho it is optional to remove knox, I have Not tested without removing knox and do Not know if root will work using this method (guide) with knox still installed !

I did NOT create this method ... I simply found it, read thru user comments, and used it
FULL CREDIT goes to
@upndwn4par for the method ... the thread is here
@Kaito95 for the Knox Removal script ... the thread is here
@Dees_Troy for the TWRP recovery
@Chainfire for SuperSu

as you can see, this method was for the AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus Samsung Galaxy S3 ... I747 variants, I believe

So here is how I achieved a successful root on 4.3 using the above method, with adjustments for our T999 variant

Using Method #2

1. Download required files
a) download Odin 3.07 to your PC

b) download the latest TWRP recovery for your device, in TAR format, to your PC
  • click on your device here
  • scroll down on your device page to the section called Download - Odin Flashable Tar
  • below that, click on the Select the latest .tar file from here link
  • scroll to the bottom of the files and click on the latest TAR version

note to d2tmo users ... thanks to @Perseus71 it has been noted that 2.6 versions may have issues on your device, and it is recommended that you choose the 2.5.0.0 TAR version

example: Mine looks like this: openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-d2can.tar

note to T999V users ... both d2can and d2tmo work for our device ... I personally use d2can

c) download SuperSu 1.65 zip to your DEVICE

c) download Knox Removal zip to your DEVICE

2. Reboot into Download mode ... VolumeDOWN + Power + Home

• Run Odin
  • make sure that re-partition is NOT checked!
  • click the PDA button and point to the TWRP recovery TAR file that you downloaded above
  • connect your device to the computer ... wait briefly
  • the COMM port in top left box should turn blue
  • click Start
  • when it is done, PASSED, and phone has rebooted, disconnect device

3. Reboot into Recovery mode ... VolumeUP + Power + Home

• Flash (install) the Knox Remover zip
  • Flash (install) the SuperSu zip ... it is version 1.65, current is 1.80, so it will prompt us to update later :good:
  • Reboot System

4. Update SuperSu from the Play Store

5. Open SuperSu

• it should prompt that it needs to update the binary
  • accept and let it update the binary the Normal way

6. Reboot

7. Enjoy rooted 4.3, knox-free :laugh: :good:

thanks again to @Perseus71 for noting that it is possible that the default Enforcing mode of SElinux may cause issues with the ability and/or performance of some root apps despite being granted root permission

if you are experiencing similar issues, he recommends that you check out the SELINUX Status Changer app.
[I have Not personally tested this app]

Last edited:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
You may also wish to mention the SELINUX Status Changer. Here's the Thread.

With it enabled, root won't be stable.

Ahem. First ? :)

EDIT - TWRP 2.6.x.x has trouble remounting and formatting /Data. You may wish to reccomend version 2.5.0.0

Last edited:

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
You may also wish to mention the SELINUX Status Changer. Here's the Thread.

With it enabled, root won't be stable.

Ahem. First ? :)

EDIT - TWRP 2.6.x.x has trouble remounting and formatting /Data. You may wish to reccomend version 2.5.0.0

hi and thanks for your input :)

I just looked at that SELINUX Status Changer thread and will keep an eye on it ... but for now I won't add it cuz:
  • the dev says it is pre-alpha version
  • Mine is Enforcing and root seems stable and hasn't had any problems, yet ... 4 days so far
  • SElinux is here to stay, and there's a big difference between proper (Google) implementation and samching implementation ... root blocked by samching, but not by standard android enforcing #BAM ;)

congrats on being first, lol

what kind of things are you referring to when you say that root won't be stable?

what is your device d2 id?
I haven't had any problems with twrp 2.6.3 for d2can
THAT is something I WILL add, for your specific device
any particular reason you're recommending all the way back to 2.5 instead of just earlier 2.6 version?

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
what kind of things are you referring to when you say that root won't be stable?

any particular reason you're recommending all the way back to 2.5 instead of just earlier 2.6 version?
I have D2TMO AKA SGH-T999. Yes this is specific to my variant. I tested all the 2.6.x versions to establish that the /Data Problem exists in all these versions.

As to Root, well, Certain apps such as Nandroid Manager, and other apps have difficulty performing Root operation despite SuperSU granting it. @Aerowinder has a lot of stories. May I suggest you please visit the D2TMO Leaked 4.3 Rom thread in development for more details ?

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
I have D2TMO AKA SGH-T999. Yes this is specific to my variant. I tested all the 2.6.x versions to establish that the /Data Problem exists in all these versions.

As to Root, well, Certain apps such as Nandroid Manager, and other apps have difficulty performing Root operation despite SuperSU granting it. @Aerowinder has a lot of stories. May I suggest you please visit the D2TMO Leaked 4.3 Rom thread in development for more details ?

fair enough ... thanks again for your input ... OP updated :)

trepoman

Apr 5, 2007
Did this to the letter and soft bricked as soon as I flashed the mod zip in twrp. Stuck on pulsing samsung logo.
Had to reflash. Tried twice just to be sure.
(T999) (root, 4.3 stock)

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
Did this to the letter and soft bricked as soon as I flashed the mod zip in twrp. Stuck on pulsing samsung logo.
Had to reflash. Tried twice just to be sure.
(T999) (root, 4.3 stock)

what do you mean ... bricked as soon as you flashed mod zip? you mean the knox removal script?
not sure how that's even possible

if you see the pulsing logo, then you rebooted

your T999 is rooted?
meaning it was before, or everything was fine after you did it twice?

trepoman

Apr 5, 2007
what do you mean ... bricked as soon as you flashed mod zip? you mean the knox removal script?
not sure how that's even possible

if you see the pulsing logo, then you rebooted

your T999 is rooted?
meaning it was before, or everything was fine after you did it twice?
The native tether mod. Knox remover worked fine.
Phone is rooted, stock 4.3.
Flashed tether mod in twrp recovery, which succeed but phone would not boot past the pulsing Samsung afterwards (10 minutes of pulsing, never booted past that) nor would it boot to recovery. I could get to boot loader luckily. I pulled the battery and tried again, same thing. Flashed stock 4.3 in Odin to get phone alive, tried flashing tether mod again, exact same result and same solution. HTH.
So close to clicking buy now on a nexus 5...

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
The native tether mod. Knox remover worked fine.
Phone is rooted, stock 4.3.
Flashed tether mod in twrp recovery, which succeed but phone would not boot past the pulsing Samsung afterwards (10 minutes of pulsing, never booted past that) nor would it boot to recovery. I could get to boot loader luckily. I pulled the battery and tried again, same thing. Flashed stock 4.3 in Odin to get phone alive, tried flashing tether mod again, exact same result and same solution. HTH.
So close to clicking buy now on a nexus 5...

ummm .. not sure what this tether mod is that you are talking about, but it's not part of this guide, lol

this guide simply flashes the knox removal script (to delete knox files) and superSu (to root)

trepoman

Apr 5, 2007
ummm .. not sure what this tether mod is that you are talking about, but it's not part of this guide, lol

this guide simply flashes the knox removal script (to delete knox files) and superSu (to root)

Confounded facts. Always kicking my ass.
This is what happens when I stay up too late and try to do too many things. Linked from another thread and had too many tabs open.

Delete. :eek:

ksec

Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the post. Sadly, no dice for me. I was directed to this post after creating my own. I've really held off asking for help, but only conclusion I can come to is I got one of those phones that just flat out won't root. Tried everything I can think of. Samsung Galaxy s3, SGH-T999v, 4.3, Wind (Canada). The Odin steps worked, when I boot into recovery, just get the stock android recover menu (original issue I've been having). Nothing seems to work in the slightest.

Ergonyx

Dec 22, 2013
So I followed this to the letter and it all went well. Except, while the device seems to be rooted, SuperSU seems to be granting permissions to apps, Root Check Pro reports the device is rooted... I still can't use any apps that require root access. GameCIH doesn't work. ROM Manager doesn't work. Nothing wants to work.

Why is this happening? Because every step seemed to go flawlessly. Also, I have no idea how to put it back to stock if I wanted to try and start over lol.

[EDIT]
Oh yeah. Pertinent information. Samsung Galaxy S3 T999V through Mobilicity (Canada) running 4.3.
Used the 2.5 tar rather than the 2.6.
Also set SElinux to permissive.

Last edited:

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
Thanks for the post. Sadly, no dice for me. I was directed to this post after creating my own. I've really held off asking for help, but only conclusion I can come to is I got one of those phones that just flat out won't root. Tried everything I can think of. Samsung Galaxy s3, SGH-T999v, 4.3, Wind (Canada). The Odin steps worked, when I boot into recovery, just get the stock android recover menu (original issue I've been having). Nothing seems to work in the slightest.

are you sure you're running stock 4.3 ? baseband MK5 ?

re-do the Odin steps, except uncheck the auto reboot option .. so that it stops after successfully pushing the recovery tar

unplug the phone from the pc .. it should still be in download mode

pull the battery
then put it back in

boot into recovery immediately

if you see the TWRP recovery, great!, complete the guide and you'll be knox free and rooted :)

if that worked then there are two files that you seem to still have that are putting stock recovery back on normal boot .. post results here and I'll find them for you

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
So I followed this to the letter and it all went well. Except, while the device seems to be rooted, SuperSU seems to be granting permissions to apps, Root Check Pro reports the device is rooted... I still can't use any apps that require root access. GameCIH doesn't work. ROM Manager doesn't work. Nothing wants to work.

Why is this happening? Because every step seemed to go flawlessly. Also, I have no idea how to put it back to stock if I wanted to try and start over lol.

[EDIT]
Oh yeah. Pertinent information. Samsung Galaxy S3 T999V through Mobilicity (Canada) running 4.3.
Used the 2.5 tar rather than the 2.6.
Also set SElinux to permissive.

did you go into superSu and update it's binary?

what do you mean, exactly, by apps won't work ?
do they run? you said they are being granted permission.

how were they installed?
we're they restored using Titanium?

the 2.5 TWRP was recommended for tmobile users.. we are T999V, can use d2can 2.6.3.0 or d2tmo 2.6.3.1

Ergonyx

Dec 22, 2013
did you go into superSu and update it's binary?

what do you mean, exactly, by apps won't work ?
do they run? you said they are being granted permission.

how were they installed?
we're they restored using Titanium?

the 2.5 TWRP was recommended for tmobile users.. we are T999V, can use d2can 2.6.3.0 or d2tmo 2.6.3.1

I updated the the SuperSU binary.
The apps will open but when it attempts to do anything requiring root access it is denied or fails.

SuperSU and Knox were installed through the TWRP recovery boot thing as the guide specified. Other things were either installed from the app store or downloaded APK files. I didn't have Titanium at the time I attempted rooting my phone. Wasn't mentioned in the guide so I never got it. I have the basic version now from the play store now. As I'm sure you can tell, I've never rooted my device before. Always had a friend do it for me.

Should I just restore to a stock install (not sure how to do this) and then try again? Especially now that I know the 2.5 warning was specifically for T-Mobile users? Or can I just put the 2.6X version on my phone and try again? lol

Dyn4myT

Dec 25, 2013
it's working

@ cLogic

Thanks a lot man, thanks to you I successfully root my sgh-t999v (stock android 4.3)

G01

Mar 28, 2011
I've managed to use GooManager from the Google Play store to install latest TWRP and to flash the 4.3 mod.

dpelletier

Feb 9, 2011
Having issues when trying this. I followed all the steps and received no errors. But when the SuperSu ap tries to open on my phone it crashes, the ap only phone is stable.

I have Tomo G3 4.3 Stock rom
Flashed the TW 2.5.0.0 version
Rebooted into the touch recovery
Ran Knox removal
Ran SuperSu
Booted
Knox is not in my list off apps
SuperSu does show
Cant not open supersu, updating binarys does not work since the app crashes.

(Edit)--> Redid the whole process but did not let the phone reboot during the TW flash and the Zip installs. Seemed to of fixed the issue. (Edit)

Thanks added

Last edited:

wesc16

Jan 26, 2013
I flashed Stock 4.3 via Odin before coming across this guide and now my device seems to be stuck at the boot screen. My question is, if I haven't completely booted, can I reflash using the modified version of 4.3 (root, deodexed, knox removed)? Do I have any other options right now?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNING: Following any of these instructions WILL void your warranty,
    and could possibly cause irreparable harm to your device (i.e. bricked)
    If you do Not understand these risks, stop here and do Not proceed.
    If you do Not know how to use Odin, stop here and do Not proceed.
    This guide is ONLY for SGH-T999 variants that are ALREADY RUNNING android 4.3
    If you do Not have a SGH-T999 variant, stop here and do Not proceed.
    If you are Not currently running android 4.3, stop here and do Not proceed.
    I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. YOU chose to follow this guide.

I have the SGH-T999V (samsung galaxy S3, canada, Videotron)
    I flashed the full 4.3 firmware from samsung-updates.com as soon as it became available ... and then I tried to root it the usual ways
    However knox prevented the superSu app from running, and it closed immediately, and obviously root was Not available to any app

This method will obtain ROOT and REMOVE the knox garbage
    note ... altho it is optional to remove knox, I have Not tested without removing knox and do Not know if root will work using this method (guide) with knox still installed !

I did NOT create this method ... I simply found it, read thru user comments, and used it
    FULL CREDIT goes to
    @upndwn4par for the method ... the thread is here
    @Kaito95 for the Knox Removal script ... the thread is here
    @Dees_Troy for the TWRP recovery
    @Chainfire for SuperSu

as you can see, this method was for the AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus Samsung Galaxy S3 ... I747 variants, I believe

So here is how I achieved a successful root on 4.3 using the above method, with adjustments for our T999 variant

Using Method #2

1. Download required files
    a) download Odin 3.07 to your PC

b) download the latest TWRP recovery for your device, in TAR format, to your PC
    • click on your device here
    • scroll down on your device page to the section called Download - Odin Flashable Tar
    • below that, click on the Select the latest .tar file from here link
    • scroll to the bottom of the files and click on the latest TAR version

note to d2tmo users ... thanks to @Perseus71 it has been noted that 2.6 versions may have issues on your device, and it is recommended that you choose the 2.5.0.0 TAR version

example: Mine looks like this: openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-d2can.tar

note to T999V users ... both d2can and d2tmo work for our device ... I personally use d2can

c) download SuperSu 1.65 zip to your DEVICE

c) download Knox Removal zip to your DEVICE

2. Reboot into Download mode ... VolumeDOWN + Power + Home

• Run Odin
    • make sure that re-partition is NOT checked!
    • click the PDA button and point to the TWRP recovery TAR file that you downloaded above
    • connect your device to the computer ... wait briefly
    • the COMM port in top left box should turn blue
    • click Start
    • when it is done, PASSED, and phone has rebooted, disconnect device

3. Reboot into Recovery mode ... VolumeUP + Power + Home

• Flash (install) the Knox Remover zip
    • Flash (install) the SuperSu zip ... it is version 1.65, current is 1.80, so it will prompt us to update later :good:
    • Reboot System

4. Update SuperSu from the Play Store

5. Open SuperSu

• it should prompt that it needs to update the binary
    • accept and let it update the binary the Normal way

6. Reboot

7. Enjoy rooted 4.3, knox-free :laugh: :good:

thanks again to @Perseus71 for noting that it is possible that the default Enforcing mode of SElinux may cause issues with the ability and/or performance of some root apps despite being granted root permission

if you are experiencing similar issues, he recommends that you check out the SELINUX Status Changer app.
    [I have Not personally tested this app]

are you sure you're running stock 4.3 ? baseband MK5 ?

re-do the Odin steps, except uncheck the auto reboot option .. so that it stops after successfully pushing the recovery tar

unplug the phone from the pc .. it should still be in download mode

pull the battery
    then put it back in

boot into recovery immediately

if you see the TWRP recovery, great!, complete the guide and you'll be knox free and rooted :)

if that worked then there are two files that you seem to still have that are putting stock recovery back on normal boot .. post results here and I'll find them for you
    When I started this "journey" I had no idea that rooting Android v4.3 would be like pulling teeth; I've had no success rooting 4.3 regardless of whether I use TWRP or CWM; every variation to root has failed. I successfully downgraded to a rooted v4.1.2 via flashing successfully TWRP 2.7 but struck out using CWM 6.0.4.5. Following successfully flashing the downgrade via recovery and a micro SD card I have found no version of the firmware with T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling...a must have. I had no success with Kies (not Kies 3) recognizing the device so I opted to use Odin v3.09 where I had some problems here too but eventually it did install the stock 4.3, so I'm back to where I'm started. Some observations...is it me or does the device save on some other partition the previous installation, whether it's 4.1.2 or 4.3 or whatever firmware is on the device. It didn't feel to me like everything is wiped upon each of the firmware installations. I've read on some threads and believe me, I've read a zillion of them in the past few days that to bypass what I know now is Knox, a script within the Rom has to be edited; I've never done this before. I find myself wondering about the bootloader and if it was upgraded with whatever Knox is which upon return to 4.3 I had an icon that upon tapping is 103 megabytes to install but yet for the moment any attempt to install SuperSU or ROM Manager has failed. I had no problems installing these programs on 4.1.2. I would really appreciate knowing if there is a ROM customized or stock, signed which exists the T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling program is embedded; thanks everybody!
    Use towelroot to root. And all the TouchWiz Roms that are based on T-Mobile firmware (nearly all) support WiFi calling. No aosp or CM
    Thanks a ton for the reply.
    Im updating simply to give thanks for the reply.
    I happen to be the "measure 700 times to cut once" kinda guy.
    Ive downloaded quite a few files since that time.
    Managed to root finally! Used the SkipSoft Toolkit. Asked to fix the SuperSU app not appearing. RootChecker verified and Titanium Backup easily removed an app.

Wanna make sure I get the right CM version and the correct GApps (there are so many!)

Will update with final result, wish me luck!

you know that cm, cyanogenmod, is finished, right?
    they had to stop

they are now LineageOs .. https://www.lineageos.org .. and they are on android N, nougat, 14.1

if you use d2tmo device, you'll see the rom here .. https://download.lineageos.org/d2tmo

if you want older versions of cm, you'll have to look for archives on servers

cheers