As promised, "FIXED THE AUDIO ADAPTER PROBLEM"

Search This thread

madman34

Sep 4, 2006
Greetings all,
Well here it is as promised, the fix for the dreaded audio adapter not working after upgradeio flash was of ROM. First of all, I upgraded my ROM and radio to DCD's newest 3.0.0 and radio, which fixed my SelectRadio issue where it dropped out, and looked at the RNC and discovered that it was as I suspected a timer value in the radio ROM was tweaked wrong causing the BER to run away and make the PPP session reinitialize very quickly or go dormant all together, but new radio fixed it. Still we had the audio adapter broken after upgrade issue, so here it is and how to fix it:

First, there is no 'electronics that you have to have' in the adapter as advertised. The problem was that a pin is wired differently in the ones that exibit the problem. The fix is as simple as clipping a wire ! Yep, thats right. Ok, with the connector of the adapter pointed at you, the curved part down, you will notice there are 6 pins on the lower edge. Numbered 1 thru 6 from left to right, pin 1 is unused, 2 is the tip of the 3.5mm jack, 3is unused, 4 & 5 are audio ground (sleve), 6 is the ring on the connector. On the stock adapter and the pigtail sound only adapters that do work properly this is how it is. The ones that mess up are a little different in that pin 1 is shorted to 4 & 5 which did not make a difference before, but really seems to upset any ROM based on 6.1. All you have to do is GENTLY cut the adapter and clip the wire going to pin 1 and all is good, no loss of any functio, it even still powers/charges as this is done by pins 1 & 5 on the top row. A tiny odity is that on some adapters the tip and ring are reversed resulting in left and right channels being reversed, but you can fix or ignore that at your leisure. ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Maybe a mod would make this easy to find or sticky it ??? I bet many people are wrestling with this easy to fix issue, I know it bugged the stew out of me til I just sat down and figured it out. Thanks for looking at my rant and being patient as I took a long time to follow thru with my promise.

MIK1200

Jan 29, 2008
I've read what you posted in both of the adapter threads, and just want to confirm. I have the adapter shown in this link:

http://www.semsons.com/2miusband3st.html

Your fix works on this adapter? I wonder if there is a way to just remove pin 1 from the adapter without having to cut it open. How did you reseal the molded plastic (I assume some sort of glue). Thanks!

Last edited:

madman34

Sep 4, 2006
Thats the one

I've read what you posted in both of the adapter threads, and just want to confirm. I have the adapter shown in this link:

http://www.semsons.com/2miusband3st.html

Your fix works on this adapter? I wonder if there is a way to just remove pin 1 from the adapter without having to cut it open. How did you reseal the molded plastic (I assume some sort of glue). Thanks!

Thats the one I am talking about and i was thinking you might just be able to pull the pin but i was worried about damaging the connector.

Otter

Aug 23, 2007
Pretty ghetto fix....
But I'll have to try it later, because rigging up 2 adapter and having to plug them in, in a certain order is really sucking.

rschell

Jun 4, 2005
Idaho
P.S. Maybe a mod would make this easy to find or sticky it ??? I bet many people are wrestling with this easy to fix issue, I know it bugged the stew out of me til I just sat down and figured it out. Thanks for looking at my rant and being patient as I took a long time to follow thru with my promise.

Maybe this could be a Wiki topic :)

mshnayde

Sep 1, 2007
I can't believe this

First of all thank you for saving everyone on this forum money, because now we don't have to buy adapters to try and figure this out.
I spent months without being able to use the adapter and finally broke down and downgraded to the original 2.17 ROM.
Now, I can finally use the adapter again and can't believe that it was so simple all along.
I can't thank you enough.
This modification of the adapter works - I just confirmed it.

:p
Michael

scheel78

Dec 25, 2007
this is great. I now have garmin mobile gps, all my bluetooth devices working, and at last music through my headphones. life is good.

cochran242

Feb 3, 2006
This will be great if I can get it to work. How are you guys removing pin-1? Are you opening the adapter or are you removing from the connector? If your removing from the connector, what are you using?

vincemash

Oct 2, 2007
Marlton, NJ
I took an exacto knife and bent pin 1 up and tried to bend it to get it to break to no avail, so I just bent it up as much as possible and pushed it into the connector hoping it would not short out any other wires, got lucky cause it works now, thanks for the tutorial

blue6800user

Feb 1, 2008
OMG!

:eek:THANK YOU SO MUCH!:eek: I just figured it was worth trying this before buying a new one. I used a thread ripper to move pin one around till it was not aligned correctly then i just plugged it into my phone hoping it would break the pin. But it didnt, it bent it way far into the adapter. I thought i was screwed ... but i plugged it in and it works now! THANKS AGAIN!

you are the awesome!:D

sputnik

Mar 7, 2005
pics?

Can anyone post pics of their "modded" adapter? I'm not new to soldering, but I am new to cutting open a molded rubber piece like this...

drew826

Sep 28, 2007
Seattle
Ditto. Can someone post a diagram or picture so we know exactly which one is pin 1.

This is based off reading madman34's post. I *THINK* this is what you should see when you look at the jack on the PPC6800 and the connector on the audio adapter. Can anyone verify this?

Code:
PPC6800
|______________/

USB/Audio Adapter
 \______________|                            3) Unused, 4) & 5) Sleeve (GND),
                                             6) Ring (Right Channel****)

* [URL="http://pinouts.ws/usb-pinout.html"]http://pinouts.ws/usb-pinout.html[/URL] (the 4th physical pin is unused,
     and therefore not labeled in these diagrams)
  ** Based entirely off madman34's research. I have not verified any of this.
 *** On non-working adapters, this pin is shorted to 4 & 5. If your adapter does not work, 
     disconnect the wire leading to the pin or bend the pin back so that it does not make 
     contact in the jack.
**** Left & Right Channels might be swapped on some adapters.

Last edited:

madman34

Sep 4, 2006
Thanks for running with this

The diagram is spot on and I think pin 3 might be the microphone line, but have not tested this yet.

drew826

Sep 28, 2007
Seattle
The diagram is spot on and I think pin 3 might be the microphone line, but have not tested this yet.

If that's the case, then I'd assume that pin 1 would be microphone ground. Are there any audio adapters that also provide microphone input? If so, maybe we should warn people not to cut pin 1 if they plan on using the microphone.

Or maybe it's possible that all of the non-working adapters were built to include microphone support, which for some reason isn't working.

Last edited:

Otter

Aug 23, 2007
It works!
Thanks!

I didn't get the pin to come out...But I guess it's bent back somewhere...
I used a sewing needle and then used that other adapter that came with the phone to crush it.

jrebeiro

Nov 15, 2006
Are you people screwing with the port on your phone or the connector on the adapter? I personally would NEVER mess with my phone to get some adapter working.

madman34

Sep 4, 2006
You DID NOT do that did you?

It works!
Thanks!

I didn't get the pin to come out...But I guess it's bent back somewhere...
I used a sewing needle and then used that other adapter that came with the phone to crush it.

Otter, the way you put that it sounds like you did mess with the pin on the phone. Please say that we read this wrong as I meant only to alter the cheap adapter and never the phone.