(TWEAK'S) Deodex/odex tweak build.prop tweaks etc

Search This thread

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
More tweaks being added see below!!!!!!!!!

Here's a little tip/tweak!!!!!!

All credit goes to my friend Nibras Reeza this is hes work all credit to him im just the messenger. I tested this tweak for him awhile back in the GT540 thread tried it on the TF101 and had great results so thought I should share :D

This wasnt supposed to be a tweak for devices with 1Gb of RAM etc. However I think if I had to choose odexed or deodexed I would choose deodexed plus this tweak no matter what device no matter how much RAM.

AS WITH ANY MODDING PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PHONE, THIS GUIDE ALSO COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. AUTHOR HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DIRECT AND INDIRECT CONSEQUENCES OF FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MADE A NAND BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING.

This will give a performance boost in deodexed ROMs as much as odexing system & data apps. This is an alternative for odexing. It's not that you can't apply this tweak on an odexed ROM but rather, it's useless to do so.

1) Open Terminal Emulator on phone or adb shell from PC and type the following.
su
setprop dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode false
setprop dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags v=n,o=v
rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
reboot

2) Add these to the /data/local.prop or build.prop.
dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode = false
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v

(Copy local.prop or build.prop to SD and edit them. Copy back afterwards. If lines starting with dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode or dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags exist already, please modify them as above. Also type following in adb shell or terminal emulator.
rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
reboot

Advantages:
  • More free RAM.
  • Faster launch for system & user apps during the second launch.
  • Gives as much as of a performance boost as ODEX without odexing. Themer friendly.
  • Smoother app switching.

Disadvantages:
  • Might break some apps. ( I have not had any break you probably wont either but you have been warned!!!! )

Reversing the change/undo tweak.
Type the following in shell.
su
setprop dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode true
rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
reboot

WARNING!!! (Have had a few people have this problem) If you have V6Supercharger installed and you are trying to edit the build.prop through root explorer or similar and its just not working its not the tweaks fault nor my fault you must Un-Supercharge edit the build.prop then Re-Supercharge afterwards!

MORE TWEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will add to this section when I can mostly just build.prop tweaks or change's to settings that might help some people get there device a little smoother :D

##########################

**Improve Touch Performance**
1. Open up your favorite Root explorer
2. Open build.prop in a text editor
3. Add this line of code ( windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=500 )
4. Save and exit and delete build.prop.bak if you trust the tweak
5. Reboot Enjoy

Quick note if your build.prop has an additional build properties section the line of code needs to go in there !!!!!

###########################

**Dalvik Tweak**
3. The line of code stating the vm growth will usually be set around 32-48 on some TF101 roms they now use 54-64 Thanks for the support devs :D
5. Reboot to Recovery
6. Wipe Cache and Dalvik-Cache
7. Reboot Enjoy

############################

To be continued......

ADDING MORE SOON BUT WANT THEM TO BE 4.0.3 SPECIFIC SO LOTS OF TRIAL AND ERROR HAPPENING

Last edited:

MarkyG82

Oct 26, 2010
Will give this a go later.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't work in ics?

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda premium

M1ST4K3

Aug 20, 2009
Portugal
Tried it on my phone with CM7.1 and everything is fine... I'm not sure if it improoved but I'm not getting any errors from apps...

pashinator

Nov 17, 2010
Wirral
i remember trying this on my gt540 (why is it now legacy device section?) and it worked great but we would have 100mb free ram at a time whereas ow i got a gig in this badboy. confirmed works.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
The problem with this is that it just turns off the dalvik controlls, so it may break some apks. Nice tweak, however

Cheers im looking into a few other tweaks and tricks at the moment will post if theres any good ones :)

Sent from my tf Enigmatic V1 Alpha 1.59Ghz Panda.test ( still a little crashy at this speed )

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
i remember trying this on my gt540 (why is it now legacy device section?) and it worked great but we would have 100mb free ram at a time whereas ow i got a gig in this badboy. confirmed works.

Haha goog to see another gt owner and yes im pretty sure it is now

Ive had people at univerrsity and a couple of mates ask if it was one of the first androids ever lol

Sent from my tf Enigmatic V1 Alpha 1.59Ghz Panda.test ( still a little crashy at this speed )

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL

UNIX-like systems cache eveything and as memory is needed, lesser used cached items are purged. If you have a UNIX-like system that has a lot of free RAM, your system is not running at optimal performance. Empty RAM is wasted RAM.

Cheers!
-M
Xda member since 2007

Reactions: jensck

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
UNIX-like systems cache eveything and as memory is needed, lesser used cached items are purged. If you have a UNIX-like system that has a lot of free RAM, your system is not running at optimal performance. Empty RAM is wasted RAM.

Cheers!
-M
Xda member since 2007

This is true but theres alot to be said for the way the system uses that ram its not about using all of it its about using it wisely a nicely tweaked efficient unix system can run on 100mb of ram even less hell i had ubuntu running alright on my gt540 before i got the transformer.

My point free ram is not always wasted ram

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
This is interesting. I might try to implement this on G1. But not a TF rom, doesn't make sense to me atm.

Btw, free ram in android means faster app launch times, especially on devices low on ram.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
This is interesting. I might try to implement this on G1. But not a TF rom, doesn't make sense to me atm.

Btw, free ram in android means faster app launch times, especially on devices low on ram.

+1 thankyou sir!!

By all means have a jam im probably going to post more tweaks soon just testing them and screwing round with bits :D

Sent from my tf Enigmatic V2 beta 1.65Ghz Panda.test cust kernel settings

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
you're welcome should have more soon :D

Sent from my tf running krakd warped an twisted 1544mhz Blades kernel

ztryfe

Oct 29, 2009
Hi!

Just tried this on a sk17i with 2.3.4 (Xperia Mini Pro) Feeling good so far!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    More tweaks being added see below!!!!!!!!!

Here's a little tip/tweak!!!!!!

All credit goes to my friend Nibras Reeza this is hes work all credit to him im just the messenger. I tested this tweak for him awhile back in the GT540 thread tried it on the TF101 and had great results so thought I should share :D

This wasnt supposed to be a tweak for devices with 1Gb of RAM etc. However I think if I had to choose odexed or deodexed I would choose deodexed plus this tweak no matter what device no matter how much RAM.

AS WITH ANY MODDING PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PHONE, THIS GUIDE ALSO COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. AUTHOR HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DIRECT AND INDIRECT CONSEQUENCES OF FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MADE A NAND BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING.

This will give a performance boost in deodexed ROMs as much as odexing system & data apps. This is an alternative for odexing. It's not that you can't apply this tweak on an odexed ROM but rather, it's useless to do so.

1) Open Terminal Emulator on phone or adb shell from PC and type the following.
    su
    setprop dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode false
    setprop dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags v=n,o=v
    rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
    rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
    reboot

2) Add these to the /data/local.prop or build.prop.
    dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode = false
    dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v

(Copy local.prop or build.prop to SD and edit them. Copy back afterwards. If lines starting with dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode or dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags exist already, please modify them as above. Also type following in adb shell or terminal emulator.
    rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
    rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
    reboot

Advantages:
    • More free RAM.
    • Faster launch for system & user apps during the second launch.
    • Gives as much as of a performance boost as ODEX without odexing. Themer friendly.
    • Smoother app switching.

Disadvantages:
    • Might break some apps. ( I have not had any break you probably wont either but you have been warned!!!! )

Reversing the change/undo tweak.
    Type the following in shell.
    su
    setprop dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode true
    rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
    rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
    reboot

WARNING!!! (Have had a few people have this problem) If you have V6Supercharger installed and you are trying to edit the build.prop through root explorer or similar and its just not working its not the tweaks fault nor my fault you must Un-Supercharge edit the build.prop then Re-Supercharge afterwards!

MORE TWEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will add to this section when I can mostly just build.prop tweaks or change's to settings that might help some people get there device a little smoother :D

##########################

**Improve Touch Performance**
    3. Add this line of code ( windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=500 )
    5. Reboot Enjoy

Quick note if your build.prop has an additional build properties section the line of code needs to go in there !!!!!

###########################

**Dalvik Tweak**
    3. The line of code stating the vm growth will usually be set around 32-48 on some TF101 roms they now use 54-64 Thanks for the support devs :D
    5. Reboot to Recovery
    6. Wipe Cache and Dalvik-Cache
    7. Reboot Enjoy

############################

To be continued......

ADDING MORE SOON BUT WANT THEM TO BE 4.0.3 SPECIFIC SO LOTS OF TRIAL AND ERROR HAPPENING
    The problem with this is that it just turns off the dalvik controlls, so it may break some apks. Nice tweak, however

Cheers!
    -M
    Xda member since 2007
    [APP] Deodex / Odex Tweak

Hey,

today I got home early and was a bit lazy so I fired up eclipse und wrote an app for your friend's tweak. All credit goes to him as I only put the code together in my app.

BTW, the app does automatically check on startup if the tweak is applied already. If so, you only have the option to reverse the tweak, so there's no chance to do things twice / mess things up.

[APP] = attached :p

If someone wants the code, PM me and I'll send you my eclipse project !
    heapsize=256mb
    growth=64mb

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

Anyone got this working with stock rooted?
    Also as a note, if you do try.. make sure you have your "going in to recovery" sorted, as I gave it a whirl but only to get stuck in boot loops..
    Had to reflash the Rom to get it back to normal..

Just to confirm in my build.prop before the change also had the same as Garry and a few others.

dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m
    dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m
    dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m

I changed the values and to the *mb and I have a feeling this might be what caused the boot loop. As yet can not not confirm if there is the difference between *m or *mb as the cause.