Nexus 4 Stuck on TWRP v2.6.3.0 With no Phone Access

Search This thread

nl393a

Jul 22, 2013
Hi,

The other day I went in and checked some Cyanogenmod updates on my phone. I noticed some updates have been downloaded but not installed. So I went in and manually installed it. Before I proceed, there was a pop up reminding me about something. However, I did not pay attention to it and proceeded to install the update. Long story short - my phone has been stuck on the Team Win Recovery Project v2.6.3.0 with no way of getting back into having phone access.

I have tried looking up various ways of trying to get my phone access back. Some instructions require I plug in the usb - but then when I hit "Start", it tells me to plug in the phone first. Well my phone is plugged in! But since the phone now has no phone access, the pc does not recognize the device has been plugged in! So I am stuck in a catch-22 type of situation.

At this point, I just want to have my phone access back. Is there an easy way to get rid of the Cyanogenmod on the phone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe my phone has Jelly Bean 4.2.x on it (rooted with Cyanogenmod)

David.

mariosraptor

Nov 21, 2006
Corfu
If you have a Nandroid to revert to, use it. If not, just flash stock. If you don't know how to do that, just search Efrants guide in these forums.

Sent from my Z30 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: nl393a

nl393a

Jul 22, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your response. The closest I could find is a post by mrjraider (How to flash back to a Stock ROM!). However, any instructions I could find seems to require that I have phone access on my Nexus 4 - which put me, again, in a catch-22 - sine I do not have access to my phone, I have no way of doing any of them!

Please advise.

Regards.

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Hi,

Thank you for your response. The closest I could find is a post by mrjraider (How to flash back to a Stock ROM!). However, any instructions I could find seems to require that I have phone access on my Nexus 4 - which put me, again, in a catch-22 - sine I do not have access to my phone, I have no way of doing any of them!

Please advise.

Regards.

Download this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Also download the latest image from Google.

Before you install the above mentioned software, go to the device manager and delete everything that says Android.

Install the software.

Boot into the bootloader. I'm assuming you can get there if you get into the recovery.

If everything is good, you should be able to use fastboot to flash the stock image. There's a switch - w that will be needed in order to not wipe your sdcard, but I HIGHLY suggest you read up on that elsewhere in the xda site, or Google it.

Good luck!

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3

nl393a

Jul 22, 2013
Thank you for your response. What exactly does "Also download the latest image from Google" mean, please?

nl393a

Jul 22, 2013
I downloaded the Google Mako "OCCAM" (for Jelly Bean 4.2). I hit "Start" and the "Cyanogenmod" round logo keeps spinning in an endless loop. What do you think can be wrong?

Thank you.

nl393a

Jul 22, 2013
Go into recovery and do a factory reset.

Sent from my Nexus 5

jd1639, your method seems to be the simplest (I was going to try Wugfresh, however, it requires my phone to be on debugging - phone access to which I do not have!). Please let me know where in TWRP where I can do a factory reset.

Thank you.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
jd1639, your method seems to be the simplest (I was going to try Wugfresh, however, it requires my phone to be on debugging - phone access to which I do not have!). Please let me know where in TWRP where I can do a factory reset.

Thank you.

I assumed you had the stock recovery. In twrp you could try to wipe userdata, wipe, advanced.

Sent from my Nexus 5

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
And this will not erase my personal data (on my phone), correct?

I am confused here you want to get your phone back up and running but you are worried about losing data. I see some pretty good suggestions in here and I hope they have helped but if not I believe better knowledge of how things work prior to flashing would of helped you out.

Now with that said and the links given have you simply tried to do a factory reset in TWRP and then push a rom over to your phone and flash it. Is your phone showing up when plugged into a pc while in recovery. Also flashing images would mean you would have to be in Fastboot mode. Now instructions on all of these methods have been created in xda. Take your time and research because its hard to mess up a Nexus and with a little time and following instructions everything will be ok.

good luck

nl393a

Jul 22, 2013
Hi playa,

I have to admit I never spent the time to acquire the needed knowledge in rooting an android. My original intention (in rooting the Nexus 4) was just to have the device rooted so that I can remove the bloat ware that came installed on the phone so that the battery will last better.

No, I have not done a factory reset in TWRP and pushed a rom over to my phone as I do not how to do either function. I see 8 blocks on my TWRP screen: "INSTALL", "WIPE", "BACKUP", "RESTORE", "MOUNT", "SETTINGS", "ADVANCED", and "REBOOT".

Which one should I click on for factory reset? And how do I "push a rom"? Where can I find fastboot mode?

No, when I plug my phone into my pc, it does not show up as "device detected".

Thank you.

p.s. I also tried the Wugfresh Toolkit to revert to full stock suggestion from alexcheveau, however, eventually, it asks me to put the device in debugging - which brings me full-cycle back to square one - I needed phone access to set it to debugging, however, I need to do a Wugfresh Toolkit full stock revert in order to have phone access......

xarekusu

Nov 14, 2009
Montreal
Hi

To factory reset, its under wipe button

Hi playa,

I have to admit I never spent the time to acquire the needed knowledge in rooting an android. My original intention (in rooting the Nexus 4) was just to have the device rooted so that I can remove the bloat ware that came installed on the phone so that the battery will last better.

No, I have not done a factory reset in TWRP and pushed a rom over to my phone as I do not how to do either function. I see 8 blocks on my TWRP screen: "INSTALL", "WIPE", "BACKUP", "RESTORE", "MOUNT", "SETTINGS", "ADVANCED", and "REBOOT".

Which one should I click on for factory reset? And how do I "push a rom"? Where can I find fastboot mode?

No, when I plug my phone into my pc, it does not show up as "device detected".

Thank you.

p.s. I also tried the Wugfresh Toolkit to revert to full stock suggestion from alexcheveau, however, eventually, it asks me to put the device in debugging - which brings me full-cycle back to square one - I needed phone access to set it to debugging, however, I need to do a Wugfresh Toolkit full stock revert in order to have phone access......

nl393a

Jul 22, 2013
Hi all,

Just wanted to let all of you know I got the phone service back on my Nexus 4!:good:

I did the factory reset in twrp, then I did the adb sideload. It took quite a while (a couple hours actually).

I would like to thank every one who jumped in to help me out (and a big "Thank You" given to each of you). Again - Thank you all.

Strangely, when I tried to download Candy Crush, after installing, there is no "Open" button, and there is not a Candy Crush icon on the app page. A lot of Google apps do not react when I tried to download.

Thank you.:laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for your response. What exactly does "Also download the latest image from Google" mean, please?

Google nexus 4 factory image. Then download the latest image from there. It's a .tgz file use 7-zip to extract it.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    If you have a Nandroid to revert to, use it. If not, just flash stock. If you don't know how to do that, just search Efrants guide in these forums.

Sent from my Z30 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Hi,

Please advise.

Regards.

Download this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Also download the latest image from Google.

Before you install the above mentioned software, go to the device manager and delete everything that says Android.

Install the software.

Boot into the bootloader. I'm assuming you can get there if you get into the recovery.

If everything is good, you should be able to use fastboot to flash the stock image. There's a switch - w that will be needed in order to not wipe your sdcard, but I HIGHLY suggest you read up on that elsewhere in the xda site, or Google it.

Good luck!

Try wugfresh to get back to stock: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

That would have been the last resort. Didn't want to make it TOO easy. :rolleyes::sly: