MK802 III Android based TV Stick. My experiences so far.......

Search This thread

85gallon

Okay, so I picked up an 8 Gig MK802III from Amazon.com. Got a good deal on it. Could have gotten it cheaper if I had wanted to wait for a slow boat from China.

It is a pretty solid unit with the exception of the wifi speed issues. I am pretty sure it is hardware related. Some people have no problems and some do have speed issues. More on that later.

It is a versatile unit. Out of the box it is stable with 720P. The latest factory firmware is JB and it is rooted. That came on my unit. It is dated 11/29/2012 so I am sure there is a lot of stock out there floating around with the older firmware on it. The latest update also includes a remote control server and it also has the .apk for the client software to install on your phone or tablet.

Within a day of me getting it though, I found my tinkering taking over. I found a site that had some custom ROMs. www.freaktab.com

The ROMs that work on this unit are actually written for a UG802. Same unit different seller. They are identical units. The ROM is made by Finless and 2dark4u. They are very responsive in supporting their work.

When flashing the ROM you have several options with which to choose when it comes to a kernel. You can choose between 720P or 1080P, and processor speeds of 1272Hz or 1608Hz with the GPU at 466. Then there is the option of 1080P 1608Hz and GPU at 500. That is a total of 5 custom kernels. Although the MK802III is an Arm 9 capable of peaks of 1608Hz, IF YOU RUN A ROM AT 1608Hz KERNEL YOU MUST RUN A HEAT SINK OR YOU WILL BURN IT UP.

I chose 1080P at 1272Hz because I didn't want to mess with a heat sink at this time.

Back to WIFI. I may end up getting an RMA if an easy fix is not found soon and try another MK802. I like it that much. The mfg is working on a fix supposedly for the units that are having trouble. Again it is not everyone having a problem. I can connect fine. DL is extremely slow at around 500k and upload at 2Mbps. Not sure why upload will reach the limit set by my ISP while the download sucks. I have ruled out under-powered power supply, encryption bottlenecks (I tried my AP wide open), and case interference. As a temporary measure I picked up a USB LAN adapter at Best Buy for $19. It is marketed as and adapter for a Wii but it works fine. But i really need the wifi so i can make this unit portable.

With the wired LAN I am getting DL of anywhere from 25Mbps to 29Mbps down and 2Mbps up. That is what my cable connection is capable of. So no complaints there.

It streams fine over my LAN from NAS. Youtube and Netflix stream great as well. I don't have HBO Go so I haven't tested that. It has taken everything I have thrown at it so far video wise. And in full blown 1080P!!!

With the 1080P interface it was kind of unreadable on my 50" TV when sitting on the couch. So I set the font size to HUGE in settings and also adjusted the DPI to 240 using ROM Toolbox for making the icons larger. It is not recommended setting it higher than 240. It can cause some problems with the Play store and other apps. ROM Toolbox worked great for this. Prior to trying that, LCD Density monitor from the Play Store locked it up on reboot. This Forced me to flash recovery. When it comes to recovery, everything I am seeing is saying it is almost impossible to brick. To force a full flash it is a matter of shorting two pins on a chip for a few seconds and loading up recovery software and image on your laptop. CWM and TWRP have not been set up reliably yet that I have seen.

As mentioned earlier, it comes with remote software. I initially had problems with it on my RAZR but it worked great on my Kindle Fire. I have now found out that the initial problems on my phone were tied to the JB rotation problem that many are having on custom ROMs. It works fine on stock JB. The problem I was having was the app would close if the screen rotated. This would happen when setting it down or moving your arm the wrong way. Like I said it works great now on stock JB.

When I first set it up I had a wireless mouse hooked up to the USB. That worked flawlessly. I have had to remove it since it only has one USB port and I now have LAN connected to it. But I have one of these on the way which should solve that problem.

ENUET-3USB_pdt_main_100121_2.png

That's about it for now but I am sure I am missing a lot. I know I focused a lot on things that weren't perfect but that is how I tend to be. I love this unit and it plays video and browses the web great. And on a 50" screen!!! The apps and few games that I have tried do great.

The unit cannot be expected to be perfect as these TV sticks are very new and emerging. Expect to be somewhat of a beta tester.

EDIT: Stock out of the box AnTuTu was 8080. On the 1080P 1272Hz Rom it rose to 8878. I've seen even higher with the 720P ROM. Can't find the post but i am trying to say it was near 10,000

Last edited:

jufo

Jun 8, 2007
hi

i have got mk802 ii. it is just single core unit. everything works fine but play avchd files from my camera. could you try it to play some avchd files on your dual core unit?

i can send you a sample video if you are interested.

thanks in advance.

jufo

85gallon

hi

i have got mk802 ii. it is just single core unit. everything works fine but play avchd files from my camera. could you try it to play some avchd files on your dual core unit?

i can send you a sample video if you are interested.

thanks in advance.

jufo
Send me a PM with what you are using to play them. I will send you my email address. You can send there provided they are not too large for email.

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Thank you for this. I just picked up the MK802 III today and your write up helped a lot. Now to go find some good roms.

85gallon

Thank you for this. I just picked up the MK802 III today and your write up helped a lot. Now to go find some good roms.
Here is the best one I have found so far.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread....-1080-and-overclock-AND-best-performance-ever!

I know it says it is for the UG802, but hardware is identical to MK802III and most people on the site with an MK802 III are running this rom.. I made the mods listed in my first post here as to resolution ROM, text size in settings, and DPI changes using ROM Toolbox for easy viewing from my couch.

I also modded the boot animation to reflect it being an MK802 III. That thread is here if you wish to use. http://www.freaktab.com/showthread....-us-MK802-III-Owners-on-Finless-v1-7-Download

When picking your kernel, do not go above the 1272 HZ unless you install a heat sink. I know the MK803 III is advertised as 1.6 GHZ, but that is peak speed. It will over heat at that if sustained. In the fastest CPU speed (1.6GHZ) there is also overclocking of the GPU option. Same thing. Don't use that without heat sink.

It is stable and works great.

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Thank you

One other question, is the micro usb port only for power or can I push data through it? I don't have a USB-A to USB-A cable.

pmco

Dec 11, 2010
Barstow
It's power only i have the same issue need USB-A to USB-A cable to flash new ROMs ;)

You don't need an A to A to flash.

I just flashed a UG802 rom on my MK802III last night, worked great. Device seems smoother, especially after locking CPU to minimum of 1000Mhz / Max 1272Mhz

1. plug MK802III into PC using A side of cable
2. plug micro-b side of cable into mk802III into power port of device
3 plug hdmi of mk802iii into TV
4 after device boots, goto settings -> USB, click connect to computer. ( at this time, computer should start finding the device as a removeable drive, and assign it 2 drive letters, I believe)
5. After computer finds device and loads driver, use RKFlashTool to flash ROM.
(if you get 'change to flash mode failed', or No Rock Android device found, or whatever it says, make sure you have no "unknown" or failed drivers in device manager)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit was used.

I had some probs getting the correct driver, but a bunch of googling found me the correct RK30usb driver.

If anybody needs the files I used, I can post them tonight, when I get home.

Reactions: TxaEkis

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Which ROM did you use? I was thinking about UG802 2dark4u/Finless custom ROM version 1.7 since I heard it works fine with our device.

If you can post a link or actual files for the driver that would be awesome! Thank you.

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Hi 85gallon, I've read that the UG802 1.7 rom breaks wifi as the drivers are different. Can you confirm? Did you have to do anything to get wifi back?

pmco

Dec 11, 2010
Barstow
Which ROM did you use? I was thinking about UG802 2dark4u/Finless custom ROM version 1.7 since I heard it works fine with our device.

If you can post a link or actual files for the driver that would be awesome! Thank you.

Assuming you were replying to me, yes, I used Finless 1.7, and it works much better than stock.. Still get a lag with my wireless pointer/keyboard (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006W494ZA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01 ) but only when doing intensive things (downloading large apps, watching a large mkv, etc)

I think it has to do with the wifi being on the same bus as the usb. I may try a USB network adaptor to see if it calms down.
Also, WiFi under Finless 1.7 works fine (as good if not better than stock)

After I "locked" the CPU to 1200 min / 1272 max with CPU control lite, it is a LOT smoother.

I will try to remember to post links to all the files I used when I get home tonight.

Everything else I have tried works great:

Bard's Tale (low res, due to storage space)
XBMC (still trying to get NFS working with my Windows Home Server)
MX Player
"Contemporary Adult Film collection, through browser/flash" :cool::p

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Thank you for the info. I will try it this weekend. Not sure why finless said wifi would break but its good to hear it doesn't

pmco

Dec 11, 2010
Barstow
Thank you for the info. I will try it this weekend. Not sure why finless said wifi would break but its good to hear it doesn't

OK, in the process of uploading the files I used to drop-box right now. As the 3 files are a total of 600Meg, it is going to take at least 80 minutes with my sh*tty TWC/RR upload speed.

In the folder will be 3 files.

Rikomagic MK802III.rar -> Newest stock firmware (Dec 12-ish, I believe) Only if you need it for recovery or to revert to.
RKM MK802 III Recovery.zip -> this is where, after extracting, I ended up getting the right driver, see below.
ug802_2dark_finless_rom17.zip -> Finless ROM -> uploaded with his permission, per this post:
I expect this to be overwhelmed by downloads and CUT OFF by Google!....
So users that got it PLEASE post mirrors for others!
Original topic over on freaktab dot com, giving permission to mirror.
Hopefully, obviously, extract all of these to there own individual folders on your HDD.
All copyright/credit/etc., belongs to the original creators. All files freely available elsewhere, I just co-located them for ease of use.

1. plug USB into PC using A side of cable
2. plug hdmi of mk802iii into TV
3. plug micro-b side of cable into mk802III into power port of device
4 after device boots, goto settings -> USB, click connect to computer. ( at this time, computer should start finding the device as a removable drive, and assign it 2 drive letters, I believe) This is where you may need the drivers from file 2 above. Go to device manager, and if you have unknown or Rikomagic device with yellow exclamation, do a driver update, and point to the folder inside the Recovery.zip called Rockusbdriver. Windows should then find the driver, and rename the device to RK30usb (or something close to that)
5. After computer finds device and loads driver, use Rom Flash Tool (Finless) to flash ROM.
Caveat* I was unable to get Finless' tool to set the flash mode (it found the device, but would not reset it), so using the RKbatchTool inside the recovery zip, I was able to reset the device into bootloader mode. (the tool comes up in chinese at first, press bottom left button, select second option, for English) The flash tool inside the ROM found the device and I was able to flash. I did select the 720p config and the 2Gig parameter files for my device.

I hope the above helps somebody, I haven't typed that much in I don't know how long. Hopefully not a TL;DR :p

I will post when files finish uploading.

Last edited:

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Thank you for the writeup! For the life of me I cannot get the driver to install. I've tried multiple computers but everytime windows comes up saying it cannot find a driver for the device. Maybe I need to update the firmware first?

I am on

MK802III_ANDROID_4.1.1-SDK-v1.00.1015

Kernel Version:
3.0.8+
ant@test-desktop#110
SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 29 09:45:17 CST 2012

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

That didn't work. Not sure why I can't get drivers installed but this is frustrating!

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Ok, had a hell of a time getting the drivers to work! Basically what I had to do was install SuperSU, Busybox (probably not needed) and a console program. Using the console program I typed:
su (which prompted me to accept)
reboot bootloader

This rebooted the device into bootloader mode. At this point I had no visuals on the TV but my computer saw two unknown devices. I was able to install the driver to one of the unknown devices successfully. At this point the rom flashing tool recognized the device and I was able to flash the rom.

Two questions about the finless rom 1.7

What are the two boot img options for? I flash the default 720 image even though I am using a 1080p kernel, does that matter?

I believe our devices have more ram than the UG802, are we loosing space by running this rom?

85gallon

If it is the thread I am thinking about, and I can't find it for the life of me, finless was saying the ROM for the UG808 would break wifi because it used a different chipset.

su (which prompted me to accept)
reboot bootloader
Yes, su then reboot bootloader is much easier to get into flash mode.

For those on the stock 11/29/2012 ROM it is already rooted so you can use a terminal program. Just download a terminal program from the Play store.

While the MK802 III is hooked to your PC, open the terminal program you downloaded from the play store and type "su" without the quotes, at the next command prompt type "reboot bootloader" (without quotes) and it will reboot into flash mode, (TV will be black-nothing on screen) Windows will then find unrecognized device. The drivers are included with the finless v1.7 rom in the drivers folder. Both x86 and x64 drivers are there. Just navigate to the appropriate folder then sub-folder of which OS is on your computer.

Last edited:

pmco

Dec 11, 2010
Barstow
Two questions about the finless rom 1.7

What are the two boot img options for? I flash the default 720 image even though I am using a 1080p kernel, does that matter?

I believe our devices have more ram than the UG802, are we loosing space by running this rom?

Per the readme file:

If you select a 720 boot.img and a 1080 kernel, your boot screen will not be right. It wont hurt you and the ROM will work but for a good looking boot, you need to select a boot.img that goes with the kernel resolution you select.
There are 2 boot.img's boot720.img and boot1080.img. Of course select the right resolution boot for the kernel you choose!
By DEFAULT, the flash tool is set for 720 boot.

Kernels:
2dark4u has provided 5 extra kernels. So there are 6 in the kit. This is what they are:

720 resolution kernels that should work on any ug802:
-kernel.img = Stock latest JellyBean kernel at 720. This is default choice in the flash tool!
-kernel_720_CPU1272_GPU466_RAM1120.img = Overclocked CPU@1272, GPU@466, Ram@1120 - N0 heatsink required!
-kernel_720_CPU1608_GPU466_RAM1120.img = Overclocked CPU@1608, GPU@466, Ram@1120 - WARNING!!! heatsink required!!!!!

1080 resolution kernels that should work on any ug802:
kernel_1080_CPU1272_GPU466_RAM1120.img = Overclocked CPU@1272, GPU@466, Ram@1120 - N0 heatsink required!
kernel_1080_CPU1608_GPU466_RAM1120.img = Overclocked CPU@1608, GPU@466, Ram@1120 - WARNING!!! heatsink required!!!!!

Hope that helps your decision making......

Reactions: TxaEkis

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so I picked up an 8 Gig MK802III from Amazon.com. Got a good deal on it. Could have gotten it cheaper if I had wanted to wait for a slow boat from China.

It is a pretty solid unit with the exception of the wifi speed issues. I am pretty sure it is hardware related. Some people have no problems and some do have speed issues. More on that later.

It is a versatile unit. Out of the box it is stable with 720P. The latest factory firmware is JB and it is rooted. That came on my unit. It is dated 11/29/2012 so I am sure there is a lot of stock out there floating around with the older firmware on it. The latest update also includes a remote control server and it also has the .apk for the client software to install on your phone or tablet.

Within a day of me getting it though, I found my tinkering taking over. I found a site that had some custom ROMs. www.freaktab.com

The ROMs that work on this unit are actually written for a UG802. Same unit different seller. They are identical units. The ROM is made by Finless and 2dark4u. They are very responsive in supporting their work.

When flashing the ROM you have several options with which to choose when it comes to a kernel. You can choose between 720P or 1080P, and processor speeds of 1272Hz or 1608Hz with the GPU at 466. Then there is the option of 1080P 1608Hz and GPU at 500. That is a total of 5 custom kernels. Although the MK802III is an Arm 9 capable of peaks of 1608Hz, IF YOU RUN A ROM AT 1608Hz KERNEL YOU MUST RUN A HEAT SINK OR YOU WILL BURN IT UP.

I chose 1080P at 1272Hz because I didn't want to mess with a heat sink at this time.

Back to WIFI. I may end up getting an RMA if an easy fix is not found soon and try another MK802. I like it that much. The mfg is working on a fix supposedly for the units that are having trouble. Again it is not everyone having a problem. I can connect fine. DL is extremely slow at around 500k and upload at 2Mbps. Not sure why upload will reach the limit set by my ISP while the download sucks. I have ruled out under-powered power supply, encryption bottlenecks (I tried my AP wide open), and case interference. As a temporary measure I picked up a USB LAN adapter at Best Buy for $19. It is marketed as and adapter for a Wii but it works fine. But i really need the wifi so i can make this unit portable.

With the wired LAN I am getting DL of anywhere from 25Mbps to 29Mbps down and 2Mbps up. That is what my cable connection is capable of. So no complaints there.

It streams fine over my LAN from NAS. Youtube and Netflix stream great as well. I don't have HBO Go so I haven't tested that. It has taken everything I have thrown at it so far video wise. And in full blown 1080P!!!

With the 1080P interface it was kind of unreadable on my 50" TV when sitting on the couch. So I set the font size to HUGE in settings and also adjusted the DPI to 240 using ROM Toolbox for making the icons larger. It is not recommended setting it higher than 240. It can cause some problems with the Play store and other apps. ROM Toolbox worked great for this. Prior to trying that, LCD Density monitor from the Play Store locked it up on reboot. This Forced me to flash recovery. When it comes to recovery, everything I am seeing is saying it is almost impossible to brick. To force a full flash it is a matter of shorting two pins on a chip for a few seconds and loading up recovery software and image on your laptop. CWM and TWRP have not been set up reliably yet that I have seen.

As mentioned earlier, it comes with remote software. I initially had problems with it on my RAZR but it worked great on my Kindle Fire. I have now found out that the initial problems on my phone were tied to the JB rotation problem that many are having on custom ROMs. It works fine on stock JB. The problem I was having was the app would close if the screen rotated. This would happen when setting it down or moving your arm the wrong way. Like I said it works great now on stock JB.

When I first set it up I had a wireless mouse hooked up to the USB. That worked flawlessly. I have had to remove it since it only has one USB port and I now have LAN connected to it. But I have one of these on the way which should solve that problem.

ENUET-3USB_pdt_main_100121_2.png

That's about it for now but I am sure I am missing a lot. I know I focused a lot on things that weren't perfect but that is how I tend to be. I love this unit and it plays video and browses the web great. And on a 50" screen!!! The apps and few games that I have tried do great.

The unit cannot be expected to be perfect as these TV sticks are very new and emerging. Expect to be somewhat of a beta tester.

EDIT: Stock out of the box AnTuTu was 8080. On the 1080P 1272Hz Rom it rose to 8878. I've seen even higher with the 720P ROM. Can't find the post but i am trying to say it was near 10,000

OK, in the process of uploading the files I used to drop-box right now. As the 3 files are a total of 600Meg, it is going to take at least 80 minutes with my sh*tty TWC/RR upload speed.

In the folder will be 3 files.

Rikomagic MK802III.rar -> Newest stock firmware (Dec 12-ish, I believe) Only if you need it for recovery or to revert to.
    RKM MK802 III Recovery.zip -> this is where, after extracting, I ended up getting the right driver, see below.
    ug802_2dark_finless_rom17.zip -> Finless ROM -> uploaded with his permission, per this post:
    I expect this to be overwhelmed by downloads and CUT OFF by Google!....
    So users that got it PLEASE post mirrors for others!
    Original topic over on freaktab dot com, giving permission to mirror.
    Hopefully, obviously, extract all of these to there own individual folders on your HDD.
    All copyright/credit/etc., belongs to the original creators. All files freely available elsewhere, I just co-located them for ease of use.

1. plug USB into PC using A side of cable
    2. plug hdmi of mk802iii into TV
    3. plug micro-b side of cable into mk802III into power port of device
    4 after device boots, goto settings -> USB, click connect to computer. ( at this time, computer should start finding the device as a removable drive, and assign it 2 drive letters, I believe) This is where you may need the drivers from file 2 above. Go to device manager, and if you have unknown or Rikomagic device with yellow exclamation, do a driver update, and point to the folder inside the Recovery.zip called Rockusbdriver. Windows should then find the driver, and rename the device to RK30usb (or something close to that)
    5. After computer finds device and loads driver, use Rom Flash Tool (Finless) to flash ROM.
    Caveat* I was unable to get Finless' tool to set the flash mode (it found the device, but would not reset it), so using the RKbatchTool inside the recovery zip, I was able to reset the device into bootloader mode. (the tool comes up in chinese at first, press bottom left button, select second option, for English) The flash tool inside the ROM found the device and I was able to flash. I did select the 720p config and the 2Gig parameter files for my device.

I hope the above helps somebody, I haven't typed that much in I don't know how long. Hopefully not a TL;DR :p

I will post when files finish uploading.
    Files have finished uploading...see original book post for link......
    Try this:
    search youtobe for:
    How to repair bricked UG802 Mini PC not booting

(I'm a newbie, can't post links).

Worked for me.
    BTW, i've tried several times to install the Finless 1.8.
    After the first boot it's working but once i reboot the unit it stuck on the boot logo..
    1.7 works fine.

Any other ROMs?
    It's power only i have the same issue need USB-A to USB-A cable to flash new ROMs ;)

You don't need an A to A to flash.

I just flashed a UG802 rom on my MK802III last night, worked great. Device seems smoother, especially after locking CPU to minimum of 1000Mhz / Max 1272Mhz

1. plug MK802III into PC using A side of cable
    2. plug micro-b side of cable into mk802III into power port of device
    3 plug hdmi of mk802iii into TV
    4 after device boots, goto settings -> USB, click connect to computer. ( at this time, computer should start finding the device as a removeable drive, and assign it 2 drive letters, I believe)
    5. After computer finds device and loads driver, use RKFlashTool to flash ROM.
    (if you get 'change to flash mode failed', or No Rock Android device found, or whatever it says, make sure you have no "unknown" or failed drivers in device manager)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit was used.

I had some probs getting the correct driver, but a bunch of googling found me the correct RK30usb driver.

If anybody needs the files I used, I can post them tonight, when I get home.