New 4.3 to 4.1.2 downgrade method?

Search This thread

Ali7000

Dec 8, 2012
Hello, I recently decided to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.1 (I'm on Telus I747M 4.3) so that I can unlock my phone due to it being impossible while on 4.3. So then I knew that it basically was impossible, until I stumbled upon thishttp://www.androidpit.com/how-to-downgrade-galaxy-s3 So now I'm wondering if this method is possible? Anyone tried it? Telus users?

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
According to the screenshot, the s3 used was an i9300 rather than the i747m.

Personally, I would not take a chance.

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011
I was able to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.1 however it's still not possible to unlock. Don't know why, I tried by leaving the new modem as well as downgrading the modem. ANY of the older modems would show up as unknown and not even let me into service mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I was able to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.1 however it's still not possible to unlock. Don't know why, I tried by leaving the new modem as well as downgrading the modem. ANY of the older modems would show up as unknown and not even let me into service mode.

Were on a stock 4.3 rom with the latest 4.3 bootloader? Did you use mobile Odin to downgrade the OS?

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011
Yes stock 4.3 with new bootloader. I flashed TWRP with Odin then flashed a 4.1.1 custom rooted ROM with it. The problem with downgrading is changing the bootloader, if you flash the old firmware with Odin it flashes the bootloader also. Then you have problems, mabt reported brickings from this.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

I just looked at the link you posted, definitely don't follow those instructions, or you will brick.

Reactions: Ali7000

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Yes stock 4.3 with new bootloader. I flashed TWRP with Odin then flashed a 4.1.1 custom rooted ROM with it. The problem with downgrading is changing the bootloader, if you flash the old firmware with Odin it flashes the bootloader also. Then you have problems, mabt reported brickings from this.

You had stock 4.3 with Knox on your phone?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Yes stock 4.3 with Knox. I rooted with Chainfire autoroot and Knox kept blocking Super SU.

Just to confirm, you were on stock 4.3 with Knox, you flashed TWRP, you booted into the OS, and you still didn't have root?

I'm asking because I was trying to help another XDA member that is having trouble with his s3 that's running stock AT&T 4.3 ROM.

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
I would not call it a true downgrade since you only flashed a custom Rom and you still have the 4.3 bootloader and modem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Also, I believe that you needed to update supersu to the latest version and then update the su binaries to disable knox. The latest version is 1.89, but it's currenly only on XDA, not in the playstore

Last edited:

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011
Just to confirm, you were on stock 4.3 with Knox, you flashed TWRP, you booted into the OS, and you still didn't have root?

I'm asking because I was trying to help another XDA member that is having trouble with his s3 that's running stock AT&T 4.3 ROM.

I rooted with Chainfire autoroot, when it booted Knox was blocking and force closing Super SU. I flashed TWRP with Odin, Knox is still there and no root access, but now you have a custom recovery and can flash a custom rom that has Knox removed. I'm running this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2252932

Reactions: audit13

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I rooted with Chainfire autoroot, when it booted Knox was blocking and force closing Super SU. I flashed TWRP with Odin, Knox is still there and no root access, but now you have a custom recovery and can flash a custom rom that has Knox removed. I'm running this:

Thank you very much for the information. Glad you got it all sorted out.:fingers-crossed:

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011
I would not call it a true downgrade since you only flashed a custom Rom and you still have the 4.3 bootloader and modem.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Also, I believe that you needed to update supersu to the latest version and then update the su binaries to disable knox. The latest version is 1.89, but it's currenly only on XDA, not in the playstore

As I said before after I rooted with CF, Knox blocks SuperSU or something and it force closes. No way to get into it and update binaries, and yes I was on the latest version. There are many people reporting this on the CF autoroot thread. This is the only way I was able to obtain root.

I'm well aware the bootloader cannot be downgraded. It also seems as long as you are on the new bootloader you can not use the normal unlocking methods. That's the reason this thread was started to begin with.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Thank you very much for the information. Glad you got it all sorted out.:fingers-crossed:

Sure, hope it helped you out and maybe saved you some time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

I just looked at the link you posted, definitely don't follow those instructions, or you will brick.