[Q] Simple Noob Questions need Expirienced help

Search This thread

shadowhog006

Jul 29, 2012
Hello, Been A while since i logged in at XDA, ~ i have a few Noobish questions that are quite troublesome to find, ~ i did look at the forums, google and other sites, i have some answers but not generally what i was looking for, so might as well ask the Experts and maybe get some easier tips hehehe, :fingers-crossed:

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play and since then im ok with it, but now i got a good deal for a Samsung Galaxy S3 Gt-i9300 (i was thinking of a getting the S5 but still waiting for every quirks to settle down) , so a stepping stone in the Samsung Direction, :laugh

Specs:

Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300
Android ver. 4.0.4
its from United Arab Emirates

Status: i Rooted the Phone Using Sir Chainfires thread here ( For Root ) then i installed a CWM here ( For CWM ) ~

Questions:

1.) Is there a more simple way to Rooting and Installing a CWM?? (tips too)
2.) This phone has an Unlocked Bootloader, is it Possible to Lock it by FLashing a Stock ROM??
( i don't want to Lock it, i just want to know, cause some posts declare that their bootloaders got Locked when Flashing a Stock Rom)

Installing a Custom Rom for Xperia Play is usually Posted by the Creators of the Rom,set of Instructions on what Ver. of android you have to be on, and what Kernel your Suppose to be Using, so,

3.) Here in the Dev. Section, i don't see threads for Instructions for that, (it's kinda confusing for newbies) do I have to be on 4.2 to use a 4.2 Custom rom??
4.) Does the S3 have Custom Kernels?? should i Use custom kernels for S3??

5.) Differences of this SECTIONS??
Galaxy S III Android Development
Android development for the Samsung Galaxy S III

Galaxy S III Original Android Development
Original development for the Samsung Galaxy S III

I've red on some Threads that you Can't Revert Back to ICS if your on Kitkat (OFFICIAL ROM)

6.) can i Revert to ICS even though i upgraded to Kitkat or Jellybean?? (just downgrade to any Firmware i want)

Some Posts and Videos i saw have used Phone and CSC on their ODin

7.) What are those exactly (in layman's term) ?? and can someone link me to a nice guide of Odin (got a few but a bit complicated for me :eek: )
Some Threads say that i have to be in a certain Version of CWM for me to use it on a higher Ver. of Android

8.) how to tell what those Ver. of CWM for Certain Ver. of Android??
9.) is the method for Rooting ICS , JB and KitKat Different??
10.) Can my Old Titanium Backups work with Newer/Higher Ver. of android or ver. of Titanium Backup

that's it, any help and answers to this questions will be of Great Help, and links to would be Epic, THanks in ADvance, :victory:

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Read all the sticky threads in general forum, all the important answers are there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
Hello, Been A while since i logged in at XDA, ~ i have a few Noobish questions that are quite troublesome to find, ~ i did look at the forums, google and other sites, i have some answers but not generally what i was looking for, so might as well ask the Experts and maybe get some easier tips hehehe, :fingers-crossed:

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play and since then im ok with it, but now i got a good deal for a Samsung Galaxy S3 Gt-i9300 (i was thinking of a getting the S5 but still waiting for every quirks to settle down) , so a stepping stone in the Samsung Direction, :laugh

Specs:

Android ver. 4.0.4

Status: i Rooted the Phone Using Sir Chainfires thread here ( For Root ) then i installed a CWM here ( For CWM ) ~

Questions:

2.) This phone has an Unlocked Bootloader, is it Possible to Lock it by FLashing a Stock ROM??
( i don't want to Lock it, i just want to know, cause some posts declare that their bootloaders got Locked when Flashing a Stock Rom)

Installing a Custom Rom for Xperia Play is usually Posted by the Creators of the Rom,set of Instructions on what Ver. of android you have to be on, and what Kernel your Suppose to be Using, so,

3.) Here in the Dev. Section, i don't see threads for Instructions for that, (it's kinda confusing for newbies) do I have to be on 4.2 to use a 4.2 Custom rom??

I've red on some Threads that you Can't Revert Back to ICS if your on Kitkat (OFFICIAL ROM)

6.) can i Revert to ICS even though i upgraded to Kitkat or Jellybean?? (just downgrade to any Firmware i want)

7.) What are those exactly (in layman's term) ?? and can someone link me to a nice guide of Odin (got a few but a bit complicated for me :eek: )
Some Threads say that i have to be in a certain Version of CWM for me to use it on a higher Ver. of Android

10.) Can my Old Titanium Backups work with Newer/Higher Ver. of android or ver. of Titanium Backup

that's it, any help and answers to this questions will be of Great Help, and links to would be Epic, THanks in ADvance, :victory:

1) Try framaroot or cf auto root. Cwm just install zip and flash it after u root ur phone.
2) No, flashing roms will not lock ur bootloader. All instructions on how to flash the rom will be on their respective thread.
3) No, u do not need to be on the same android version to flash the rom.
4) Yes there are custom kernels for the s3 and its all on wat u wan.
5) Original is where the devs create the mod or rom and the one without original is the one where devs get the rom base from the original forum and edit it.
6) Once u are on 4.3, i advise u not to go back to previous android versions unless u know how to backup and restore efs. And 4.3 is btr than previous versions anyway.
7) There is a sticky the forum. Just update ur recovery to the newest and u will have no problems.
8) There is no versions of cwm limited to certain versions of android.
9) No, as i said, just try framaroot or use cf auto root.
10) Yes they will.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: shadowhog006

shadowhog006

Jul 29, 2012
1) Try framaroot or cf auto root. Cwm just install zip and flash it after u root ur phone.
2) No, flashing roms will not lock ur bootloader. All instructions on how to flash the rom will be on their respective thread.
5) Original is where the devs create the mod or rom and the one without original is the one where devs get the rom base from the original forum and edit it.
6) Once u are on 4.3, i advise u not to go back to previous android versions unless u know how to backup and restore efs. And 4.3 is btr than previous versions anyway.
7) There is a sticky the forum. Just update ur recovery to the newest and u will have no problems.
10) Yes they will.

tnx for the answers and tips, cool, tnx for the EFS tip, ill check it out,
@boomboomer

i did red and checked the stickies and search the posts, like i said some are not conclusive 70/30, and some are even outdated (2011) how would a newbie know that "tools/methods" work still?? and some stickies are empty, literally , like i said at the beginning i did search those stuff before posting, tnx too though :highfive:

dxppxd

Feb 6, 2012

@boomboomer

i did red and checked the stickies and search the posts, like i said some are not conclusive 70/30, and some are even outdated (2011) how would a newbie know that "tools/methods" work still?? and some stickies are empty, literally , like i said at the beginning i did search those stuff before posting, tnx too though :highfive:

First things first.

The efs is the most important, irreplaceable part of your phone that holds device specific information, with imei, sn, etc. It has 2 versions:

Efsv1 is present in all ics 4.0 firmwares and jb firmwares before 4.1.2 with baseband mg4.

Efsv2 is in all firmwares starting from jb 4.1.2 wirh baseband mg4.

Efsv1 can be converted to efsv2 by flashing. Efsv2 CANNOT be reverted to efsv1 unless you have a efsv1 backup.

So, first thing, use framaroot to root your ics firmware and make a backup of efsv1 using the ktool app (free on playstore). This is very important because if you update to efsv2 firmwares and ever want to downgrade to a efsv1 firmware you'll need that backup to keep the phone working. So keep that backup and copies of it stored in case you ever need it.

Also efsv1 can be network unlocked using galaxy sim unlock, free version in the app section, paid version in the playstore. But efsv2 cannot be unlocked through free hommade methods.

Reactions: shadowhog006

shadowhog006

Jul 29, 2012
First things first.

The efs is the most important, irreplaceable part of your phone that holds device specific information, with imei, sn, etc. It has 2 versions:

Efsv1 is present in all ics 4.0 firmwares and jb firmwares before 4.1.2 with baseband mg4.

Efsv1 can be converted to efsv2 by flashing. Efsv2 CANNOT be reverted to efsv1 unless you have a efsv1 backup.

So, first thing, use framaroot to root your ics firmware and make a backup of efsv1 using the ktool app (free on playstore). This is very important because if you update to efsv2 firmwares and ever want to downgrade to a efsv1 firmware you'll need that backup to keep the phone working. So keep that backup and copies of it stored in case you ever need it.

Also efsv1 can be network unlocked using galaxy sim unlock, free version in the app section, paid version in the playstore. But efsv2 cannot be unlocked through free hommade methods.

Awesome Info, i Did some research to and looked around the forums for guides , Thanks, im glad i didn't rush things to updated my FW, hehehe, :highfive:

~~Also efsv1 can be network unlocked using galaxy sim unlock, free version in the app section, paid version in the playstore. But efsv2 cannot be unlocked through free hommade methods~~

im guessing this is for those with phones with locked in carriers like verizon etc. right?? not a problem with international/unlocked ones ~ :good:

Last edited:

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
Awesome Info, i Did some research to and looked around the forums for guides , Thanks, im glad i didn't rush things to updated my FW, hehehe, :highfive:

~~Also efsv1 can be network unlocked using galaxy sim unlock, free version in the app section, paid version in the playstore. But efsv2 cannot be unlocked through free hommade methods~~

im guessing this is for those with phones with locked in carriers like verizon etc. right?? not a problem with international/unlocked ones ~ :good:

Well if u bought ur phone from a phone carrier then its the same. U cannot use sim cards from other carriers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Specs:

Android ver. 4.0.4

Questions:

10) Yes they will.

@boomboomer

First things first.