[GUIDE] Restore Moto E Stock Firmware [UPDATED#2]

Search This thread

shankargopal

Jul 7, 2015
failed to write primary GPT

Hi

I'm trying to follow the instructions in this thread to debrick an Indian dual sim Moto E that was running CyanogenMod and now won't get past the bootloader warning. I first tried with the 4.4.2 firmware available (at mediafire - can't post a link apparently) and that failed with downgrading messages. Reading this thread, I then thought it might be because my phone had updated to 4.4.4. So I downloaded 4.4.4 from another link on this forum. When I try to flash this, I get:

target max-sparse-size: 256MB
sending 'partition' (32 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.038s]
writing 'partition'...
(bootloader) This may take a few seconds, if a
(bootloader) different partition table is being
(bootloader) flashed since we need to backup
(bootloader) and restore a few partitions
(bootloader) Flashing primary GPT image...
(bootloader) Failed to write primary GPT.

(bootloader) Failed to program partition table
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 5.543s

Every other command after that fails with "Failed to erase partition."

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a hardware failure here. What should I do next?

Harish N

Jan 12, 2015
Chennai
My moto e xt1022 is running 4.4.4 stock rooted and unlocked bootloader.How to relock and unroot to flash soak 5.1

sid.8491

May 20, 2012
downgrade to kitkat?

i have upgraded my moto e (xt1022) to lollipop 5.1 by OTA update, and now it is restarting very frequently. and each restart is taking about 15mins.
bootloader is locked and phone is not rooted.

could someone tell me how to downgrade to kitkat? (noob friendly way).
and is there any risk in doing that?

anirudhamusic.am

Jul 24, 2015
Please Ashish upload moto e 5.1 Indian firmware image on google drive and give us link because everytime i go to download with filefactory, it fails and speed is also very very low.

Please help me.

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Free mobile app

LollipopSMg

Jul 23, 2015
Pre-requisites:

a) Download and install Motorola Moto EDrivers

b) Download and extract the stock Firmware of your choosing

c) If the firmware file you downloaded is a .xml.zip file then download Motorola Fastboot View attachment 2427667 (attached to this post) and extract the .exe into the same folder as the stock firmware files (the same folder as the .bin and .img files). If your firmware is a .tar.gz file then skip this step.

d) Get ADB (if you don't already have this, I suggest downloading and installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208:
Direct Download

Disclaimer:

Follow these instructions at your own risk. If something goes wrong don't blame me!

These are the original stock signed image files from Motorola it should work on all Moto E Variants.

Steps to restore stock firmware:

1) Reboot the phone into bootloader mode. There are 2 ways to do this.
I) The 'hardware' way.
a) Unplug the USB cable and power off the phone.
b) Press and hold 'Volume down' then power on the phone.
c) Connect USB cable to your computer.​

II) The 'software' way.
a) Enable developer mode on the Moto E (Settings-> 'About Phone'. Tap 7 times on 'Build Number')
b) Enable USB debugging. (Settings -> 'Developer options' -> 'USB Debugging' -> check)
c) Connect phone to computer via USB, you should see a new ADB device detected and drivers installed.
d) Open "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". Type:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader

You should see the Moto E bootloader screen with the following options:
Code:
Normal Powerup
Recovery
Factory
Switch Console [NULL: null]
Barcodes
BP Tools
2) Open a command prompt / terminal (Start -> cmd.exe in Win7) and browse to the folder with the extracted firmware.

In my case:
Code:
cd c:\falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB

3)

Flash each of the partitions in sequence using mfastboot, you need to enter the following commands one-by-one checking that each one returns an [OKAY]
Code:
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1 
mfastboot erase modemst2 
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache 
mfastboot erase userdata 
mfastboot reboot
For Indian variants

Code:
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2 
[/HIDE]
Downgrading:

4) Wait, you should now be rebooted into a fully stock Moto E firmware.

Original Thread
Credits:mad:tbon3

i have moto E xt1022 dual-sim, after flash stock 4.4.4 and reboot, phone does not recognize the SIM card and displays the message disable the airplane mode when i try to make a call . The airplane mode is not enabled . Please someone help me . im brazilian and flashed rom stock Asia/World from this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2755857, because I could not download the stock brazilian version.

Last edited:

Mondop

Jun 24, 2014
hi i want to ask what am i doing wrong when cmd says me mfastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
what should i do to fix it? :)

maneesh35

Aug 10, 2015
I am a moto e first gen user.
i manually updated to lollipop 5.1. now if i downgrade to kitkat, will i get official lollipop OTA(not manually).

anonymoussss

Nov 8, 2013

The above 2 links not working.pls update

morgium

Aug 13, 2015
Teh Link for downloading the stock ROMS is not working anymore. Is tehre asn alternative to it?
I just want to have the official 5.1 Android update, and my current ROM is not offering it to me (it was some 4.4.4 ROM which i searched for last time for a long long time)
Dont explain to me something about FLASH STOCK PENISLOAD or NON STOCK ROOT PENIS SOAK UP or something like that. I can handle everything, just give me a download link please.

srikanth979

Aug 14, 2015
Pune
Can anybody in this thread share the partitions hob, dhob , fsc and pds
by executing below commands in terminal emulator or adb shell of rooted Moto E

su
mkdir /sdcard0/imei_backup
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/hob" of=/sdcard0/imei_backup/hob.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/dhob" of=/sdcard0/imei_backup/dhob.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fsc" of=/sdcard0/imei_backup/fsc.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds" of=/sdcard0/imei_backup/pds.img

WinnipegXDA

Sep 9, 2015
Moto E 2nd Gen XT1527 4G LTE on Koodo in Canada

My phone is currently stuck on a boot loop. It has Team Win Recovery Project v2.8.5.0 installed. I used the advanced wipe to clean the phone because my SIM card wasn't working but didn't know that it would get rid of everything, including the OS. I'm honestly not 100% sure what I can or should do. I bought the phone from someone so I wasn't the one that installed TWRP or the custom ROM that was on the phone.

Phone Details: Moto E 2nd Gen XT1527 4G LTE on Koodo In Canada

Which stock ROM should I download and could I use TWRP to install the stock ROM?

Thank you everyone :) :) :)

Nexive

Feb 12, 2012
Brussels
Samsung Galaxy S22
My mom has an Moto E XT1021 with the European build of stock 4.4.4 Kit Kat. But I want to flash 5.1 on it so which build should I install? Does the US and Brazilian works both in Europe or should I use the Indian one, but that one is for the XT1022 version with dual SIM, will it also works on the XT1021?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pre-requisites:

c) If the firmware file you downloaded is a .xml.zip file then download Motorola Fastboot View attachment 2427667 (attached to this post) and extract the .exe into the same folder as the stock firmware files (the same folder as the .bin and .img files). If your firmware is a .tar.gz file then skip this step.

d) Get ADB (if you don't already have this, I suggest downloading and installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208:
    Direct Download

Disclaimer:

Follow these instructions at your own risk. If something goes wrong don't blame me!

These are the original stock signed image files from Motorola it should work on all Moto E Variants.

Steps to restore stock firmware:

1) Reboot the phone into bootloader mode. There are 2 ways to do this.
    I) The 'hardware' way.
    a) Unplug the USB cable and power off the phone.
    b) Press and hold 'Volume down' then power on the phone.
    c) Connect USB cable to your computer.​

II) The 'software' way.
    a) Enable developer mode on the Moto E (Settings-> 'About Phone'. Tap 7 times on 'Build Number')
    b) Enable USB debugging. (Settings -> 'Developer options' -> 'USB Debugging' -> check)
    c) Connect phone to computer via USB, you should see a new ADB device detected and drivers installed.
    d) Open "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". Type:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

You should see the Moto E bootloader screen with the following options:
    Code:
    Normal Powerup
    Recovery
    Factory
    Switch Console [NULL: null]
    Barcodes
    BP Tools
    2) Open a command prompt / terminal (Start -> cmd.exe in Win7) and browse to the folder with the extracted firmware.

In my case:
    Code:
    cd c:\falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB

3)

Flash each of the partitions in sequence using mfastboot, you need to enter the following commands one-by-one checking that each one returns an [OKAY]
    Code:
    mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1 
    mfastboot erase modemst2 
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache 
    mfastboot erase userdata 
    mfastboot reboot
    For Indian variants

Code:
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2 
    [/HIDE]
    Downgrading:

4) Wait, you should now be rebooted into a fully stock Moto E firmware.

Original Thread
    Credits:mad:tbon3
    The system.img filenames can differ depending on the version of the firmware. For example with the 'O2 UK' firmware the commands would be:
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2​
    I had an error when flashing this firmware: Retail Asia | India | World - XT1022_CONDOR_RETAILDSDS_5.1_LPCS23.13-34.8-3_cid7 (Newer Build) for my XT1022 (Dual-Sim).
    The problem was that there were 4 files named system system.img_sparsechunk.0, system system.img_sparsechunk.1, system system.img_sparsechunk.2 and system system.img_sparsechunk.3 and I flashed only 3...
    You have to flash all of them with mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.x and be sure to put a . between sparsechunk and the number (the . is not present in the tutorial from the first post, it got me crazy... :p )

Thanks, it seems to be working for me!
    FAQ

Q1: Will this work on locked bootloaders?
    Ans: Yes as stock firmwares are digitally signed by Motorola.