[Q] Dual Boot from emmc and from internal storage

Search This thread

davidmargolin

Apr 22, 2012
Brooklyn
This was probably already covered by another thread but i have looked through dozens of posts and i haven't found an answer yet...

So i want to know how i can boot one rom (cm7) from internal storage and another rom (cm9) from emmc...

if possible, please provide some files and a guide...

THANKS
-David

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
This was probably already covered by another thread but i have looked through dozens of posts and i haven't found an answer yet...

So i want to know how i can boot one rom (cm7) from internal storage and another rom (cm9) from emmc...

THANKS
-David
It's not difficult. Just follow these threads below.

First install CM7 to emmc per this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12797652

Then install CM9 to SD per this thread (just substitute CM9 for CM7 in the instructions):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12240928

Also you need to use my updated generic image file instead of the one in the link above. Get it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23153010

If you want to use both systems with the same SD card so you don't have to swap cards all the time, follow these instructions:

After you have installed both of these systems, go to CM7 and using root explorer, edit the file vold.fstab in /etc. There will be a line there that includes 'sdcard auto' (without the quote). Change that to 'sdcard 4'. Save and reboot. Now both CM7 and CM9 will share the same media sdcard space. No need to swap cards between systems.

Also to determine which system boots, hold the n key while nothing and a boot menu will come up. Use it to select which system you want to boot to.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmargolin

davidmargolin

Apr 22, 2012
Brooklyn
emmc and internal

heres the thing though... i dont want anything booting from my sd card... just from my internal storage and then my emmc...

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
heres the thing though... i dont want anything booting from my sd card... just from my internal storage and then my emmc...
Why?

BTW, emmc and internal storage are the same thing.

edit: There are some really old threads that tell you how to repartition the nook so that you can have two systems on emmc. But that is no longer recommended due to many issues, including updating is difficult and repartitioning is risky.

edit2: If you are thinking you can install a system to the media partition of emmc ("internal storage"), it's not possible. The only way to get two systems internally (ie., without using an SD) is to repartition. The existing media partition is deleted and new system partitions are created to accommodate the new system files and then a new smaller media partition is recreated. But that is a very non-standard installation and most update- zips will not work with that setup. You have to use specially modified versions.

Last edited:

davidmargolin

Apr 22, 2012
Brooklyn
emmc

Why?

edit: There are some really old threads that tell you how to repartition the nook so that you can have two systems on emmc. But that is no longer recommended due to many issues, including updating is difficult and repartitioning is risky.

so why does my nook list emmc and internal seperately????
... look at the pic

Attachments

• shot_000001.jpg
    shot_000001.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 32

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
... look at the pic
Look at my edit2 above. That "internal storage" shown is just a partition of emmc (/data, which is part of emmc where your system data and apps are stored). And other systems cannot be installed there.

Why are you against SD installs?

edit: Just a little educating, emmc means Embedded MultiMedia Card. It is where everything is stored internally. It is partitioned into several partitions, /system, /data, /cache, and others. It creates a media partition to store your media and it calls that "emmc" on that picture you posted. and it calls the /data partition "internal storage". Very confusing for noobs.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
forget about dual booting for a sec...
can i merge the two partitions (internal + emmc) together...
No, see my edit above.

Edit: But you can change the size of each by repartitioning. The old nooks came with a 1GB /data and a 5GB /media. The newer nooks come with 5GB /data and 1GB /media. Looking at your picture you have the old nook.

Last edited:

davidmargolin

Apr 22, 2012
Brooklyn
mnt/usbdisk

sorry... i dont know too much bout these things...
but what about the additional storage mnt/usbdisk (see picture)... whats that

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
That is if you install a usb drive by attaching a special adapter and plugging in a usb flash drive.

If you want both CM9 and CM7, I highly recommend the scheme I listed in my first reply. It's what I use and it works great.

davidmargolin

Apr 22, 2012
Brooklyn
gottcha

so i just use the disk image u gave me and write it to my sd card...
then i put cm7 on the card and the nook does the rest... right???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THANKS
    -David
    It's not difficult. Just follow these threads below.

First install CM7 to emmc per this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12797652

Then install CM9 to SD per this thread (just substitute CM9 for CM7 in the instructions):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12240928

Also you need to use my updated generic image file instead of the one in the link above. Get it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23153010

If you want to use both systems with the same SD card so you don't have to swap cards all the time, follow these instructions:

After you have installed both of these systems, go to CM7 and using root explorer, edit the file vold.fstab in /etc. There will be a line there that includes 'sdcard auto' (without the quote). Change that to 'sdcard 4'. Save and reboot. Now both CM7 and CM9 will share the same media sdcard space. No need to swap cards between systems.

Also to determine which system boots, hold the n key while nothing and a boot menu will come up. Use it to select which system you want to boot to.

Why?

edit2: If you are thinking you can install a system to the media partition of emmc ("internal storage"), it's not possible. The only way to get two systems internally (ie., without using an SD) is to repartition. The existing media partition is deleted and new system partitions are created to accommodate the new system files and then a new smaller media partition is recreated. But that is a very non-standard installation and most update- zips will not work with that setup. You have to use specially modified versions.

... look at the pic
    Look at my edit2 above. That "internal storage" shown is just a partition of emmc (/data, which is part of emmc where your system data and apps are stored). And other systems cannot be installed there.

Why are you against SD installs?

edit: Just a little educating, emmc means Embedded MultiMedia Card. It is where everything is stored internally. It is partitioned into several partitions, /system, /data, /cache, and others. It creates a media partition to store your media and it calls that "emmc" on that picture you posted. and it calls the /data partition "internal storage". Very confusing for noobs.
    forget about dual booting for a sec...
    can i merge the two partitions (internal + emmc) together...
    No, see my edit above.

Edit: But you can change the size of each by repartitioning. The old nooks came with a 1GB /data and a 5GB /media. The newer nooks come with 5GB /data and 1GB /media. Looking at your picture you have the old nook.
    That is if you install a usb drive by attaching a special adapter and plugging in a usb flash drive.

If you want both CM9 and CM7, I highly recommend the scheme I listed in my first reply. It's what I use and it works great.