SG3 Know Faults Thread

Search This thread

HiTmAans

Dec 4, 2010
Thank god mine fixed itself try disconnecting and forgetting the router on the phone so It doesn't connect. Then unplug and restart router. Make sure you unplug it for at least 10 seconds. Turn router on let it stabilize its internet . Then restart phone and connect to the router again .

I think the problem was with the router not the phone . Virgin media routers are terrible

Hope this helps good luck

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA

Matt190191

Jan 1, 2012
"currently unable to download" S3 problem

I have a problem with my s3 every time I go to my home screen I get a prompt/notification telling me something was "unable to download" any idea what this could be???
Thanks

<<Raj$>>

Jul 16, 2010
Comments

Issues :-

1. Bluetooth is not connecting automatically to my Car Bluetooth (Jabra Freeway). Meaning I have to manually connect it every time I want to connect. My Wife's HOX and my work phone iP4S connects seamlessly all the time when I just enter the car. Pretty much I am not able to use it in the CAR at all ! :mad::mad::mad: Issue seems to be with the SGS3 and not with the car blue-tooth ! May be fixed by a custom rom but out of box its broken and unusable.

2. Home screen / Touchwiz reload is happening predominantly almost all the time after using few apps and consistent after the use of the browser. :eek: . Shows the toll on the RAM I guess. I will be rolling on the floor crying if the North American version gets 2 GB RAM ! :eek:

3. PINK TINT on the display for the whites is also so obvious. I also have a dead pixel in the screen and have to find time to visit Samsung service centre for an exchange. Hope that I will get a device that isn't having this PINK TINT ! :rolleyes:

4. Really crazy costly ! I personally think Samsung has overpriced the device just because they have established the Galaxy series and following the path of Apple in over pricing. Especially the pink tint in the display for this kind of a price (940$) is just unacceptable.

Positives :-

1. Love the new TouchWiz, I think this will be the first time I will be using Touchwiz alone without installing any other third party home launcher.

2. Comfortable while holding in hand because of the curved edges and corners. Can be used in one hand even though its a big device :D because of comfortable edges.

3. Battery - Seems promising, Still on the 3rd charging cycle.

4. GPS lock is crazy fast than ever before. I am not sure whether its faster than NOTE or not but its just spot on ! and locks to at-least 12 Sats pretty much all the times.

Reactions: barne19801

Ace_Fire

Jun 4, 2012
I've bought an S3 from Telecom in New Zealand.

I use my phone an alarm, so I set an alarm and put the phone on the charger overnight. When I wake up in the morning the alarm hasn't sounded, and more importantly the phones screen won't turn on, and the blue LED is flashing.
Restarting the phone by holding down the power button gets the phone going and have had no other issues.

Anyone else come across this probem?
There is a video of a HTC One X on YouTube with the same issue.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using XDA

millab

Jul 11, 2007
Canberra
When I use stock browser, the brightness is suddenly turned down drastically, I tried setting it to manual brightness of about 50-75% and the result is the same. Anyone having this problem ? Homescreen and other apps work just fine, in fact chrome beta doesn't have this problem.

Yep most of the apps now have their own brightness settings on the SIII.

So browser for instance you could tell to always be full brightness. Just press menu when in the browser and there is a brightness option in the menu. Same in video apps etc.

Also in video you can adjust colour temperature, and in the system settings you can change 'screen mode' to change the colours to more natural or vivid

Reactions: Martin5000

trignflo

Jun 3, 2007
Thank god mine fixed itself try disconnecting and forgetting the router on the phone so It doesn't connect. Then unplug and restart router. Make sure you unplug it for at least 10 seconds. Turn router on let it stabilize its internet . Then restart phone and connect to the router again .

I think the problem was with the router not the phone . Virgin media routers are terrible

Hope this helps good luck

Can you tell me does the S3 report your network as OPEN when it should be secured?

I had forced my S3 only onto 2.4 band yesterday and had four or five hours uptime with my wifi network. Overnight the problem returns wouldn't connect to network despite reboot of phone, forgetting network and reentering security key.

so only way to get S3 to reconnect was to reboot router again, by which time everything now appears to work.

Anyone else noticed if phone is reporting an open network when it should be secured after wifi dropout?

TnF

_Belial

Nov 21, 2005
I have a problem with an open wifi with a hidden ssid. The s3 never seems to connect properly to it after coming back after a long standby or going out of range then back into range. I keep having to "forget" the network and set it up again :(

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Concerning BT pairing problems, try to initiate the pairing from the phone instead of the carkit. Had a similar pairing problem when trying out the HTC One X. Although all my former phones worked with my carkit without any problems, the new HTC One X didn't want to pair with it. It was solved by letting the HTC One X search for Bluetooth devices

SiyB

Nov 30, 2006
I've had problems with samsungs gallery app displaying Picasa / Google + albums in a weird way, just noticed that it used 160mb in background in one day too, I've had to disable for now, using stock UK firmware ke8?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

furt890

Jul 25, 2010
Yep most of the apps now have their own brightness settings on the SIII.

So browser for instance you could tell to always be full brightness. Just press menu when in the browser and there is a brightness option in the menu. Same in video apps etc.

Also in video you can adjust colour temperature, and in the system settings you can change 'screen mode' to change the colours to more natural or vivid

Ahhh thanks a lot, I didn't know that. I went to the setting and it was set to the highest power saving level LOL. Well anyways, with that solved, now I have this GPSD battery drain problem, anyone ?

Baldilocks

May 31, 2010
Dover, DE
Kinda glad I held off on getting the GS3 for a while...... Glad there is a thread where one can view all the problems/bugs with the phone.

FlamingAngel82

Oct 24, 2011
Preston
People having issues with the BT connecting in some cars and not others would immediately point to updating the software of the car kit first (I used to sell and support car kits in my old job, like Parrot, THB Bury, IO Play etc). I remember IOS5 on the iPhone 4 was a particular bug bear until a software update resolved it.
The only issue with car kits that come pre-installed with new cars is that you have to go directly to the dealerships to resolve the issue and have the kit's software updated. I would highly recommend people try this first.
Some post car purchase kits require a fiddly way of updating (like the Parrot 3000 range needing a serial cable or transferred via a laptop's Bluetooth), but most just need a USB flash drive.
You may have to be patient and wait, since the SGS3 is so new, there may not actually be an update yet, but it will come with time! :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 800 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Reactions: antiapple
I just got my Galaxy S3 playing around with it But im having big problems with WIFI

It connects fine and works amazing for about a minute or 2. Then just nothing It still says its connected but I cant browse or anything :(

I switched off the wifi and turned it on again woo it works for another minute then again stops

its really bugging me now but Ill try a different wifi router...

samsung dont mess up now :(

Me too - wi-fi a big issue on the SGS3 for me - see my earlier post for full details!

jongilluley

Mar 19, 2008
I had similar bt issues and battery drain issues but after installing Omega V3 thy have all gone and the phone seems to be more stable....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

davados

Sep 27, 2010
South West
www.davados.co.uk
For me the wifi is weak compared to the GS2. Both next to each other a room away from the hub. GS2 has 3 bars and my GS3 has 2 bars. If I hold them the GS3 drops to 1 bar as the GS2 stays at 3 bars. Has anyone else noticed this?

HiTmAans

Dec 4, 2010
Can you tell me does the S3 report your network as OPEN when it should be secured?

I had forced my S3 only onto 2.4 band yesterday and had four or five hours uptime with my wifi network. Overnight the problem returns wouldn't connect to network despite reboot of phone, forgetting network and reentering security key.

so only way to get S3 to reconnect was to reboot router again, by which time everything now appears to work.

Anyone else noticed if phone is reporting an open network when it should be secured after wifi dropout?

TnF

Funny you should say that I'm in a student household and for some reason the router produces 2 signals a unsecure network and one that requires password they are both in the same name. Although its not just on my s3 . Everything my laptop my xoom my old desire detects two, one secure and one open. I don't know who set the router up (its not in my room neither). I always used the secure one.

Have you tried testing a different router? Just to make sure the fault is not with the phone .

I think it is your router . I resat the router and my wifI has been fine for last day no problems whatsoever .

I hope It fixes itself or you find a way to make it work it is very annoying I know

qwertyuiop89

Apr 7, 2010
Hi there, has anyone experienced problems with the smart stay feature, whereby the phone should detect when you're looking at the screen, and not turn off?

I don't think mine works at all. I've got the screen on a 15 second turn off, and when I stare at the screen, a little eye symbol periodically pops up into the status bar, so presumably the phone is trying to pick up my eyes - but regardless, it turns off after 15 seconds!

Muskstick

Apr 8, 2010
Aha....XDA to the rescue...
And finally, a new fault, bug or issue of my own... Wi-fi...

Alas, it seems there's a major issue with the wi-fi in my SGS3... I switch my phone on, and it fires up, and sees and connects to my home wi-fi... But if I try and USE the net or data connection, it's a dog's dinner... If I run a Mobile Speed-test, I get a terrible ping, an average download speed of 0.02 Mbps, and then it times out three quarters through with a connection error.

It has done this since I got it Wednesday. However, I can confirm it is the PHONE, not my home wi-fi, as my Router is very new and mega-top end, and my three SGS2's are working absolutely fine on it. Moreover, if I pull the Notification Tray down on my SGS3, then disable Wi-fi, then pull back down, then re-enable, and then run the speed test again, I get great pings, 22Mbps Downlaod, and 5Mbs uplaod speed (my Home Internet is 100Mb).

So clearly pointing to an issue with the phone. It does this on both 2.4GHz, and 5Ghz, as my router is full dual channel, independent. Looks like either a faulted phone (hope not), or a fault in current Kernel of the software, which would be better, if a fix was forthcoming.

This bit is really bothering me though - a brand new device, and it's the only device in my home that has issues with connectivity and web.

Argh...

I think I might have a solution for this, I was having similar problems but found that if I disabled the Wifi Power Save Mode I was back to blazingly fast speeds and no dropped connections.

I had to go into Service Mode (dialling *#0011#) and hitting menu and selected Wifi and turning off the option for power save mode.

Give it a try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Aha....XDA to the rescue...
    And finally, a new fault, bug or issue of my own... Wi-fi...

Alas, it seems there's a major issue with the wi-fi in my SGS3... I switch my phone on, and it fires up, and sees and connects to my home wi-fi... But if I try and USE the net or data connection, it's a dog's dinner... If I run a Mobile Speed-test, I get a terrible ping, an average download speed of 0.02 Mbps, and then it times out three quarters through with a connection error.

It has done this since I got it Wednesday. However, I can confirm it is the PHONE, not my home wi-fi, as my Router is very new and mega-top end, and my three SGS2's are working absolutely fine on it. Moreover, if I pull the Notification Tray down on my SGS3, then disable Wi-fi, then pull back down, then re-enable, and then run the speed test again, I get great pings, 22Mbps Downlaod, and 5Mbs uplaod speed (my Home Internet is 100Mb).

So clearly pointing to an issue with the phone. It does this on both 2.4GHz, and 5Ghz, as my router is full dual channel, independent. Looks like either a faulted phone (hope not), or a fault in current Kernel of the software, which would be better, if a fix was forthcoming.

This bit is really bothering me though - a brand new device, and it's the only device in my home that has issues with connectivity and web.

Argh...

I think I might have a solution for this, I was having similar problems but found that if I disabled the Wifi Power Save Mode I was back to blazingly fast speeds and no dropped connections.

I had to go into Service Mode (dialling *#0011#) and hitting menu and selected Wifi and turning off the option for power save mode.

Give it a try.
    how about the button placement. First off, wish it had camera button. I don't know what the deal is with all the people freaking out about buttons. Oh gawd noes a home button. Well I like it and I liked my camera button on my Droid. Tactile = quicker, especially in situations you can't look e.g. a meeting, driving a car, holding stuff, etc.

But more bizarre is the placement of the power button. I always end up pressing volume, because to grip it and depress it, is tricky without doing so. For my hands anyway. I don't know why they didn't put it on the right side on the top? Or I don't know..some other way way perhaps could avoid this. Or perhaps my hands are just weird and different than most.

What does everyone else think about the side power button? Anyone else have this happen to them?
    Not sure if this is a hardware related or software but I have experienced randomly on numerous occasions the following effects on my screen...sometimes they go away by themselves or I need a reboot and its okay...I'm running latest Omega ROM (although I've experienced this on previous versions of this ROM too - not sure if there is any correlations?!)

Happens when you press the Home button multiple times? I think it's one of the ROMs feature. This is helpful when reading texts with bright background.